What to play?
I've finally managed to get a satisfactory set of mods installed on my iPad, which is the only feasible vehicle for playing games right now. And my own mods are in a pretty stable state, and I don't have time to do much more modding anyway. So, for the first time in at least three or four years, I'm actually going to play
But that raises the question: what profession should Charname be?? I've only played IWD lately, so I'm spoiled by its ability to create 6 characters. If I can only make one, what will it be?
This will necessarily be informed by my list of mods. Scales of Balance is installed, so every stat matters and rogues are a bit more capable offensively. And Might & Guile is installed, so fighters and thieves get fun feats to play with, and bards get all sorts of cool capabilities. Tome & Blood is installed, so single-class wizard specialists are actually pretty unique and powerful, and 1st-level spells are now infinite-cast cantrips. And Faiths & Powers is installed, so there are literal tons of priests and champions and mystics and druids and rangers to choose from.
Finally, most importantly, NPC_EE is installed, so the in-game NPCs can be more varied:
- Imoen is a multi thief/mage
- Jaheria is a single-class druid
- Khalid is a ranger... I'm thinking Mage Hunter would suit him (and his ultimate fate) pretty well
- Minsc is a plain fighter, he'll be a Berserker, natch
- Montaron is a single-class thief... Assassin, surely
- Xan is a fighter/mage... with that sword, I think he needs to be a Bladesinger
- Branwen is a multi fighter/cleric
- Safana will be a Swashbuckler
- Coran is a single-class thief, probably either a Hunter or a Sniper
- Skie can be a Jinxer, which is like a half-bard/half-thief/half-hexblade
- Alora is a cleric/thief... I know that sounds crazy but I'm thinking she will not so much be a real priest, as a 'Chauncey Gardiner' type - like, maybe there is really wisdom underlying her bubbly babbling, but not really, but maybe, but no seriously not, etc.
For mod NPCs, there are Finch (cleric), Vynd (assassin?), Indira (F/M), Valerie (sorcerer), Sirene (paladin), Isra (paladin) and Tenya (cleric).
There are really tons of NPCs in this game, every class is pretty well-represented. Maybe I should try something a bit more out there, like a Psypher (psionicist) or an elemental Mystic Warrior.
Anyway, I've spent so much time with Weidu and modding and completely ignoring these kinds of conversations... I'd appreciate input from all you people who have talked this through and played this through so many times. Cheers!
EDIT - I'll hopefully play through BG2 as well - I've installed a dummy mod so all of my mod kits should match up in kitlist.2da and kit.ids, so hopefully I should be able to import the character into BG2EE without messing that up. So high-level considerations and 2nd-game party makeup can also be taken into account.