Skip to content

Manual Discrepancies

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

The are either some errors in the manual or some things have been "fixed" e.g. on page 24, regarding strength damage/to hit "this modifier is alway applied to melees and attacks with hurled missile weapons (e.g. a dagger or an axe)"

AFAIK

a) *All* missile weapons use the Dex, not Str modifier to hit
    b) *Only* axes (not daggers) get the Str bonus for damage

Also on page 23 it implies helmets give a bonus to AC, which usually they don't (perhaps some magic ones?), their primary functional is to prevent critical hits - its potentially misleading for new players.

BTW this is in the "Mastering Melee and Magic" manual. I know I'm nit-picking, though, they generally look very good
    The changed a few words under the dexterity section of the page (page 74 in the BG2 manual I believe) but basically it says what it did before I think. That may not be true to the game (concerning damage and throwing weapons) I'm not sure.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Thanks!
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Since I never played TUTU, I'm really curious to see how those BGII spells work in BGI world, specifically some of the higher power spells and even casting familiars. Also, wouldn't a lvl 1 druid shapechanged to a werewolf be overpowered?
    edited November 2012

Since I never played TUTU, I'm really curious to see how those BGII spells work in BGI world, specifically some of the higher power spells and even casting familiars. Also, wouldn't a lvl 1 druid shapechanged to a werewolf be overpowered?

Well he can't cast spells and is limited in the amount of damage he could dish out. Plus there isn't exactly lots of magic being thrown around initially for his spell resistance to be much use (Tarnesh, Bassilus, and Silke being the three casters in the first bit of the game I can think of). I haven't tried a werewolf in BGTutu so idk how op it would be.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    Nice, they look like the old school Pre 4E DnD manuals. I'm looking forward to having a good read.
    Hmmmm good points. I'd love to see the back story of how a lycanthorp was raised in candlekeep.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    There's quite a few errors in the manuals, though most of them small and of little real consequence.

Hmmmm good points. I'd love to see the back story of how a lycanthorp was raised in candlekeep.

Hopefully they have kit specific backstories, because that would be WICKED.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    I love the style how it has been written :D

"(...) There are no CDs to insert, remove and insert again. (...)
    Honestly, that made no sense to me. What’s a CD?
    —Volo
    A mysterious artifact that you needn’t concern yourself with, Volo. Carry on.
    —Elminster"

Hilarious :D

(Although I'm not 100% sure that this Volo-Elminster conversation wasn't in the original...)
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Gem and Scroll containers are in BG:EE!!
    Page 66 of the Survival Guide.
    Cool.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    @Shin should post any problems you encounter so they can eventually be fixed.
    edited November 2012
    Senash said:

I love the style how it has been written :D

"(...) There are no CDs to insert, remove and insert again. (...)
    Honestly, that made no sense to me. What’s a CD?
    —Volo
    A mysterious artifact that you needn’t concern yourself with, Volo. Carry on.
    —Elminster"

Hilarious :D

(Although I'm not 100% sure that this Volo-Elminster conversation wasn't in the original...)

I think the convo is from the BG2 manual.

Edit: I correct myself it may be new. I haven't checked the ToB manual.

Edit: No you are right it is new :)
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @Balquo In here?
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    @Shin probably best to put it in the BUG section for now. Just put [Manual] in the title.
  • JaceJace Member Posts: 193
    @Aosaw Thanks for the clarification! I also noticed that there is no mention of Scimitars or Katanas in the Equipment section of "Mastering Melee & Magic". That's hopefully a small oversight and not an indication of the nonexistence of exotic blades in the Sword Coast!

Beyond that, remarkable work. I will enjoy reading the new manual sentence-by-sentence in its entirety!
    @Balquo agreed
    Makes one wonder, what smithie in Baldur's Gate would get their hands on quality steel to hammer out a katana in the midst of the iron crisis? ;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited November 2012
    tilly said:

On page 21 of Mastering Melee and Magic, neutral characters are now happy at reputations 16 to 20? Should that be a typo? If it isn't, I'm not complaining! :3

Man, a happy Xan? :D OMgosh! ^_^

The manuals are purrty c:

You sure its 21?

Edit: its page 20.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Jace

Oversight.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Ok thanks for the clarification.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @tilly Not a typo. :)
    Reputation of 19 and 20 should say unhappy. The rest according to the old BG2 manual would be neutral all the way down to 6 (5 being unhappy)
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @elminster In BGEE, neutral characters will be happy at high rep.
    edited November 2012
    Jalily said:

@elminster In BGEE, neutral characters will be happy at high rep.

Odd. I guess if they are going for reputation being how well they are received by people, but not necessarily how good they are, it makes sense. Maybe?
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    Tanthalas said:
    would have been nice with a new updated map :)
  • EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    Thanks Space_Hamster. The second one wasn't accessible by me, so thanks for sharing yours! Worked wonders and MUCH appreciated!
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MarricMarric Member Posts: 53
    Interesting, I'm enjoying Volo's and Elminsters comments :)

Two issues with the Archer kit description: It doesn't mention that archers can get grand mastery in ranged weapons (I'm pretty sure they could in BG2...). It also says that can't exceed specialization in melee weapons (which rangers can't do anyway), I believe it should say that Archers can no longer specialize in melee weapons.