Skip to content

Famous Quotes and laws of reality...

Comments

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    mlnevese wrote: »
    All problems, personal, national, or combat, become smaller if you don't dodge them, but confront them. Touch a thistle timidly, and it pricks you; grasp it boldly, and its spines crumble. Carry the battle to the enemy! Lay your ship alongside his!
    -- William F. (Bull) Halsey (1882-1959)

Ehh, I would much rather use interplanetary ballistic nukes propelled from my remote controlled drone as I lie on my couch eating hot pakoras and watching Terraria Let's Plays on YouTube, than confront the enemy in melee. :tongue:
    Proont
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Two courses were open to us. We might have done nothing. That would have been utter ruin. Instead, we met the situation with proposals to private business and to the Congress of the most gigantic program of economic defense and counterattack ever evolved in the history of the Republic. We put that program in action. Our measures have repelled these attacks of fear and panic. . . . We have used the credit of the Government to aid and protect our institutions, both public and private. We have provided methods and assurances that none suffer from hunger or cold amongst our people. We have instituted measures to assist our farmers and our homeowners. We have created vast agencies for employment.

- Herbert Hoover

(Widely derided as a "do nothing" president.)
    mlneveseProontStummvonBordwehr
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    When it's survival of the fittest you don't have many options
    Montresor_SP
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    DragonKing wrote: »
    When it's survival of the fittest you don't have many options

Good news! Its actually, "Survival of the luckiest". Oh wait, that's not actually better.
    Balrog99Rik_KirtaniyaProontmlnevese
    We only see the results of successful people, we don't see the hard years. We don't see them on the brink of destruction. We don't see that and that is why it's so easy to get lost in wanting their success.without being willing to pay the same price they paid.
    Balrog99shabadoo
    We only see the results of successful people, we don't see the hard years. We don't see them on the brink of destruction. We don't see that and that is why it's so easy to get lost in wanting their success.without being willing to pay the same price they paid.

Like being born to a wealthy family, or at least one that's middle class enough to at least afford a decent education. Maybe they are relative/friend of a CEO or Vice President!

The self-made man is a myth.
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Know how I know that's a lie? I know people who grew up worse than me and are self made.

shabadoo
    edited July 2020
    Time for some more Nietzsche!

"Here the ways of men divide. If you wish to strive for peace of soul and happiness, then believe; if you wish to be a disciple of truth, then inquire."

"The snake which cannot cast its skin has to die. As well the minds which are prevented from changing their opinions; they cease to be mind."

"And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music."

"You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.'

"The lonely one offers his hand too quickly to whomever he encounters."

- Friedrich Nietzsche
    Proontmlneveseshabadoo
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    Know how I know that's a lie? I know people who grew up worse than me and are self made.

Know how I know that's a lie? NOTHING can be accomplished without someone else. Either their support, or stepping on them to get higher. Anybody who believes in the self made man is buying into a lie told by people who trampled others on their way to power.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Guybrush: At least I’ve learnt something from all of this.
    Elaine: What’s that?
    Guybrush: Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game.
    Elaine: A what?
    Guybrush: I don't know. I have no idea why I said that.
    ―Guybrush Threepwood, Mighty Pirate
    ProontmlneveseThacoBellRik_Kirtaniya
    Knowledge is not power, that is bs. Knowledge is potential power, execution Trumps knowledge every day of the week.
    Once you label me, you negate me.
    Are any of these actually quotes?
    Rik_KirtaniyaDrHappyAngry
    Always remember that the crowd that applauds your coronation is the same crowd that will applaud your beheading. People like a show.
    ―Terry Pratchett
    Rik_KirtaniyamlneveseMontresor_SPProont
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    It is by acts and not by ideas that people live.
    -- Anatole France
    Rik_KirtaniyaThacoBellProontStummvonBordwehr
    The reason I talk to myself is because I’m the only one whose answers I accept.
    ― George Denis Patrick Carlin
    Rik_KirtaniyaProontStummvonBordwehrmlnevese
    "Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St George to kill the dragon." 

— G.K. Chesterton
    ProontmlneveseThacoBellBlackbɨrd
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than cowardly.
    "All men are created equal; some work harder in preseason."
    Emmitt Smith
    mlneveseThacoBell
    edited July 2020
    Don't wish it was easier wish you were better. Don't wish for less problems wish for more skills. Don't wish for less challenge wish for more wisdom
    @mlnevese Thanks!
    mlnevese
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited August 2020
    Culture tends to argue that it forbids only that which is unnatural. But from a biological perspective, nothing is unnatural. Whatever is possible is by definition also natural. A truly unnatural behaviour, one that goes against the laws of nature, simply cannot exist, so it would need no prohibition.
    ― Yuval Noah Harari, (Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind)

That actually applies to what people call supernatural as well. If ghosts, for instance, exist, they are not supernatural. They are just natural phenomena we still don't understand as people in the past didn't understand lightning. The fact we don't know the natural laws that cause a phenomenon does not make it supernatural.
    Post edited by mlnevese on
    KamigoroshiProontMontresor_SPRik_Kirtaniya