Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Axis & Allies 1942 Online is now available in Early Access! Buy it on Steam. The FAQ is available.
New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Farewell David Gaider

ShandyrShandyr Member Posts: 8,263
Hey everyone,

when David Gaider left Bioware two years ago, I was quite upset. Of course I would have wanted him to stay to continue his invaluable work on the Dragon Age series.

Imagine my surprise when I found out that he had joined Beamdog! I felt like I lost him in one moment, only to have him back the next. I was surprised, thrilled!

And yet... this is my personal view, I couldn't help but wonder, wasn't David Gaider a name too big for a small company such as Beamdog?

So his departure from Beamdog does not come as a surprise to me. But the way he leaves does.

@David_Gaider , when you left Bioware I could thank you for your work on the Dragon Age series and for Dorian Pavus in particular.

But now... well we actually don't know what you worked on at Beamdog and you already leave without your work there being disclosed. I would like to thank you for your work at Beamdog as I bid you farewell but I can't as I don't know anything about it. Hopefully we will learn about it soon, but this still feels odd somehow. It doesn't feel quite right to me, to be honest.

I'm looking forward to hearing about whatever you are up to next. Let's see where the road takes you.
All the best for your future :)

GusindaStummvonBordwehrlefreutJuliusBorisovBalrog99ThacoBellkanisathaGreenWarlockNonnahswriterArctodusOrlonKronsteenAerakarlolienProontRaduzieltypo_tillyAstroBryGuyjunyangche

Comments

• GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I missed this, where was the news announced?

• batoorbatoor Member Posts: 670
    Uhm, well that was quick...

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 6,841

I missed this, where was the news announced?

Julius also buried it in the All You Need To Know About Beamdog's Next Project thread.

I made my thoughts known there and agree with Shandyr here.

Wishing Gaider all the best to wherever he does next.

• OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 703
    I wish him well but it's very sad news.

• Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 697
    Considering his twitter post, I can't help but think this wasn't exactly an amicable parting...

kanisatha
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,761
    Not to sound disrespectful, but what did David Gaider contributed to beamdog before leaving, exactly?

• AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,414
    O_Bruce said:

Not to sound disrespectful, but what did David Gaider contributed to beamdog before leaving, exactly?

He built their current creative team. The rest is a bit unknown at this point. The Beamblog post says, "We’ve seen Dave conjure new worlds we’d love to play in, and spin stories in places already close to our hearts. Someday we will share the fruits of his labour!"

I see two possibilities:
    1. Beamdog has a new D&D CRPG they are working on. Dave likely created the main plot for that game. Why would he leave when there isn't even an announcement of the game? I don't know - maybe it was part of the plan with Trent: come aboard, build a team, give them some groundwork in terms of a plot, and let them build the game.
    2. The new game Dave came aboard to create has been shelved - at least for now. Perhaps it was the Planescape: Unraveled concept that was spotted in the STORYHIVE video - http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/11/a-note-about-that-planescape-concept-art.html. Maybe WotC turned down a new proposed D&D 5E Forgotten Realms game. With Beamdog focusing on NWN:EE, Dave then decided to leave for other opportunities.

kanisatharonaldoThacoBellAerakar
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 611

O_Bruce said:

He built their current creative team. The rest is a bit unknown at this point. The Beamblog post says, "We’ve seen Dave conjure new worlds we’d love to play in, and spin stories in places already close to our hearts. Someday we will share the fruits of his labour!"

I see two possibilities:
    1. Beamdog has a new D&D CRPG they are working on. Dave likely created the main plot for that game. Why would he leave when there isn't even an announcement of the game? I don't know - maybe it was part of the plan with Trent: come aboard, build a team, give them some groundwork in terms of a plot, and let them build the game.
    2. The new game Dave came aboard to create has been shelved - at least for now. Perhaps it was the Planescape: Unraveled concept that was spotted in the STORYHIVE video - http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/11/a-note-about-that-planescape-concept-art.html. Maybe WotC turned down a new proposed D&D 5E Forgotten Realms game. With Beamdog focusing on NWN:EE, Dave then decided to leave for other opportunities.
    ^This. Although I just don't see how it could be 1 because 1 goes against everything Beamdog and Gaider himself have been telling us over the past two years about Gaider's role within Beamdog. So I believe it's more along the lines of 2, though I think it is Beamdog themselves who made this decision and WotC had nothing to do with it.

• typo_tillytypo_tilly Member Posts: 5,686
    Huh. Well, that was sudden, although Trent said it was planned for a while.

Not sure how much to read into this. Also remember that Gaider left BioWare in part because it was no longer exciting? or some such? He wanted a change. Perhaps even the move to Beamdog wasn't enough (although from the sounds of it, he built a team?). I wouldn't be surprised if he moved onto writing novels or working as a video game creative consultant not tied to a studio.

They may not have announced his replacement if they don't have a replacement or if the replacement is not as big a name as Gaider is.

• typo_tillytypo_tilly Member Posts: 5,686
    Well, they talk about the team he created. Maybe he trained the new lead?

• kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 611
    A very interesting hypothesis @AstroBryGuy. My question, though, would be that Beamdog seemed to, on multiple occasions, allude to the game being (1) a brand new IP and not a sequel to an existing game, and (2) set in the Forgotten Realms.

typo_tilly
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 1,900
    This makes me sad. I hope David Gaider moves on to make awesome games or stories in the future.

ProontBalrog99GreenWarlockJuliusBorisov