Skip to content

Farewell David Gaider

The user and all related content has been deleted.
GusindaStummvonBordwehrlefreutJuliusBorisovBalrog99ThacoBellkanisathaGreenWarlockNonnahswriterArctodusOrlonKronsteenAerakarlolienProontRaduziel[Deleted User]AstroBryGuyjunyangche

Comments

• GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    I missed this, where was the news announced?
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Beamblog
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    Uhm, well that was quick...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

I missed this, where was the news announced?

Julius also buried it in the All You Need To Know About Beamdog's Next Project thread.

I made my thoughts known there and agree with Shandyr here.

Wishing Gaider all the best to wherever he does next.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    I wish him well but it's very sad news.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    Considering his twitter post, I can't help but think this wasn't exactly an amicable parting...
    kanisatha
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Not to sound disrespectful, but what did David Gaider contributed to beamdog before leaving, exactly?
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    O_Bruce said:

Not to sound disrespectful, but what did David Gaider contributed to beamdog before leaving, exactly?

He built their current creative team. The rest is a bit unknown at this point. The Beamblog post says, "We’ve seen Dave conjure new worlds we’d love to play in, and spin stories in places already close to our hearts. Someday we will share the fruits of his labour!"

I see two possibilities:
    1. Beamdog has a new D&D CRPG they are working on. Dave likely created the main plot for that game. Why would he leave when there isn't even an announcement of the game? I don't know - maybe it was part of the plan with Trent: come aboard, build a team, give them some groundwork in terms of a plot, and let them build the game.
    2. The new game Dave came aboard to create has been shelved - at least for now. Perhaps it was the Planescape: Unraveled concept that was spotted in the STORYHIVE video - http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/11/a-note-about-that-planescape-concept-art.html. Maybe WotC turned down a new proposed D&D 5E Forgotten Realms game. With Beamdog focusing on NWN:EE, Dave then decided to leave for other opportunities.
    kanisatharonaldoThacoBellAerakar
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308

O_Bruce said:

He built their current creative team. The rest is a bit unknown at this point. The Beamblog post says, "We’ve seen Dave conjure new worlds we’d love to play in, and spin stories in places already close to our hearts. Someday we will share the fruits of his labour!"

I see two possibilities:
    1. Beamdog has a new D&D CRPG they are working on. Dave likely created the main plot for that game. Why would he leave when there isn't even an announcement of the game? I don't know - maybe it was part of the plan with Trent: come aboard, build a team, give them some groundwork in terms of a plot, and let them build the game.
    2. The new game Dave came aboard to create has been shelved - at least for now. Perhaps it was the Planescape: Unraveled concept that was spotted in the STORYHIVE video - http://blog.beamdog.com/2017/11/a-note-about-that-planescape-concept-art.html. Maybe WotC turned down a new proposed D&D 5E Forgotten Realms game. With Beamdog focusing on NWN:EE, Dave then decided to leave for other opportunities.
    ^This. Although I just don't see how it could be 1 because 1 goes against everything Beamdog and Gaider himself have been telling us over the past two years about Gaider's role within Beamdog. So I believe it's more along the lines of 2, though I think it is Beamdog themselves who made this decision and WotC had nothing to do with it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    A very interesting hypothesis @AstroBryGuy. My question, though, would be that Beamdog seemed to, on multiple occasions, allude to the game being (1) a brand new IP and not a sequel to an existing game, and (2) set in the Forgotten Realms.
    [Deleted User]
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    This makes me sad. I hope David Gaider moves on to make awesome games or stories in the future.
    ProontBalrog99GreenWarlockJuliusBorisov