Skip to content

Pathfinder : Kingmaker

Comments

• SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176

Try looking in the woods to the northwest of that screenshot you posted.
    Again, i already looked to Torn Ford many times
    Look a lot further into the woods than the ford. Next time I'm booted into windows I can grab a screenshot if you haven't figured it out by then.
    Please. Post screenshot.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    So, having not played Pathfinder prior to this, I know it is at the very least mostly just a slightly altered 3.5 ruleset, but the character creation system doesn't explain itself very well. From what I can understand, I get to choose one feat at the beginning, and cantrips are able to be cast any amount of times. I started an alchemist and I can't quite figure out what the concoct potion section above the spells is supposed to do or when it unlocks. At the very least Neverwinter Nights explains itself WAY better.
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    Yeah I feel like most my enjoyment of this game comes from the fact that I am super familiar with the PF system and 3.X in general. And since a lot of things are directly from PnP I can just go to the Paizo website for descriptions on things. Now this isn't always accurate but most of the time it helps. Like if I wanted to know about the Ecclesitheurge archetype I'd take a look at

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/cleric/archetypes/paizo-cleric-archetypes/ecclesitheurge/
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    yeah, I looked at. I'd have liked for the game to lay it all out like: "it's a more Wizard-y version of Cleric" Now, if I didn't know what Wizard and Cleric was, well
    As an aside, I'm playing an Alchemist and I have Cure Light Wounds but I can't figure out how to cast it on others. It turns out in pen and paper is actually an Extract, not a Spell, so it's self cast only, even tho the description in game says otherwise. I heard a streamer named dansgaming had a similar problem of trying to figure out why his Alchemist couldn't cast Cure Wounds on others. I mean, it's a minor thing. I don't mean to be too down on the game. The review bombing is lousy, but we've seen that before with other recent D&D video games. (Beamdog pls take note.) Ultimately, I'm loving the game bc it's doing D&D better than anybody has done in years, it's just, you know, a lot of little stuff adds up.
    oh and there's just been another patch rn
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited September 2018
    you have a group stash with a maximum load, and a personal carry weight limit based on your gear and strength. there's no item limit besides weight, every item takes up a 1x1 square on a grid, and I was able to get a minor bag of holding early on that gave -100 lbs to my group stash load. I think maximum group stash weight is based on your collective strength. every appropriate enemy drops their equipped gear, armor, shield, sword, etc, so if you're the type that has to squeeze out every last gold from looting, there's some inventory management involved. there's also a stash at your base. it's not the worst, no Diablo 2 inventory Tetris, just the kind of weird in the instance of the front lines tank fighter.

her'es some screenshots of camping and inventory (also you can see I chickened out of NE and did NG)

edited September 2018
    Dorcus said:

As an aside, I'm playing an Alchemist and I have Cure Light Wounds but I can't figure out how to cast it on others. It turns out in pen and paper is actually an Extract, not a Spell, so it's self cast only, even tho the description in game says otherwise. I heard a streamer named dansgaming had a similar problem of trying to figure out why his Alchemist couldn't cast Cure Wounds on others. I mean, it's a minor thing. I don't mean to be too down on the game. The review bombing is lousy, but we've seen that before with other recent D&D video games. (Beamdog pls take note.) Ultimately, I'm loving the game bc it's doing D&D better than anybody has done in years, it's just, you know, a lot of little stuff adds up.

Yeah, I wondered the same thing when I was just standing in the Keep testing spells. And that kind of error on a tooltip would drive me nuts. I'll check my saved game to see if it's still there, but I'm guessing it is, even though they have already released 3 patches and have a major one coming next week. There are more than a couple feats that are just plan described wrong or aren't working. Again, with these Kickstarter games, you would be well advised to hold off for weeks if not a month until things get ironed out.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    So I buckled and purchased the game blindly - having never experienced Pathfinder before or knew anything about this game except Chris Avellone was involved and it was getting mixed reviews.

knowing 3.0 from NWN, most of the mechanics I picked up quickly, or enough to get through the early stages of the game. Class choice was a little overwhelming, but after reading every description settled for a Gnome Sylvan Sorceress (who may or may not also go dragon discipline), who surprisingly fits the early part of the story quite well, to the point that I want to start over as something else to see if it was that intentional, or I just lucked out in having a character that fit so nicely into the story.

I think I am enjoying and being immersed in the story (even though it started out very weak) because of this fit and if I was playing something else, I may not like the story as much. I also liked how your choices affected the companions you start the game with, however, I am chuckling as to how the Chaotic (N?) Evil NPC and Lawful Good NPC ended up on the same team.

I enjoy the travel and the alignment system that they have going on (but with the alignment, I wish looting was also taken into consideration - it doesn't look like it is) and I can live with the combat. The UI can be a little tough to navigate and find everything. I am also liking the tough choices and how combat will not solve all your problems. I just turned off the game to think a bit about a last encounter and how I am going to want to handle it after being thoroughly thrashed when I went the swords not words route, which some people may say is 'unfair' but that's life.

The entire thing needs a good editing still though. When I notice grammar mistakes you have a problem. A few noticeable bugs here and there still, nothing game breaking but I've only played it for 6 hours and the first two of that was probably in character creation.

I'll definitely dive into it further after I finish some other priorities. It's worth a play for sure, I don't know full price worth but it should be put on your wish list if you 3e D&D and RTwP Isometric Games.
    edited September 2018
    The game itself will be fine in due time, but right now there are SO many bugs and just general errors being reported that I'm just shelving it for a month or two until things get in a more stable place.
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577

Look a lot further into the woods than the ford. Next time I'm booted into windows I can grab a screenshot if you haven't figured it out by then.
    Please. Post screenshot.
    Ugh, the stupid steam screenshot util dropped the screenshot since I played a few hours after I took it. But my point is, there's a huge area to the northwest of the ford in your screenshot you haven't explored. You might have to approach it from further north and push west. I'll try and grab one tomorrow morning and upload it right after I take it.

I'm really having a ball in this game. Finally got my second dragon disciple level on my main, and feel like I'm finally hitting my stride at level 7. MIrror Image is such a life saver in this game. No doubt about it, this game is super old school PnP style, and I'm loving it, even if I do die a lot and have to reload. No denying it is quite buggy still, but I'm having a great time. It's hard to not restart, my mind is awash with new builds I want to play through with. Trying to decide what to do my next playthrough, Magus, Duelist, Paladin/Stalwart Defender or Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple

Is there any point in doing a Magus-> Eldritch Knight? I don't like that the game makes you actually start the level process for levelling to a class to see what you can get out of it. The half orc Magus is surprisingly badass, and survives a lot of fights that drop by main and the Barb.

I love the fact that most of the companions have decent point spreads for their stats, so they're actually good at what they do. The First Pillars of Eternity annoyed the hell out of me for giving all the henchmen crap stats, so about the only thing I could say was Eder was an OK meat shield. I have fond memories of Minsc and Shar-Tell saving my parties ass by chunking dudes at the last minute before they killed us.

The thing that I adore about this game, is failure is an option, you won't always succeed in a mission, but that's OK. It also sets up things for completely different playthroughs where stuff plays out differently. For instance

I did things in completely the wrong order but Lynzi never got kidnapped by the slavers because of it.

I love hearing these stories about how things played out different for other people.
  • lordkimlordkim Member Posts: 1,063
    kanisatha said:

@DrHappyAngry, @Dorcus, the latest patch does a lot to even out the difficulty spikes and adjust the various difficulty settings. It also ties random encounter difficulty to your average party level. It's their second major patch in the three days since release. Seems like they listen, and they fix, and they put in a lot of effort on timely patching.

I for one am extremely happy with this game. It is the game I should have got from Beamdog but didn't. And since I am quite certain I am not going to be getting a D&D CRPG any time soon, this is the game I will be completely relying on to scratch my major D&D itch.

2nd Patch ?

havent heard of a second... im on 1.0.1
  • TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835

The game itself will be fine in due time, but right now there are SO many bugs and just general errors being reported that I'm just shelving it for a month or two until things get in a more stable place.

Agreed, waiting a while is exactly what is needed. I still can't get my KS Extras Portraits to show up in character creation. GoG version.

There is a very good game hidden amongst the bugs though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    chimaera said:

lordkim said:

kanisatha said:

@DrHappyAngry, @Dorcus, the latest patch does a lot to even out the difficulty spikes and adjust the various difficulty settings. It also ties random encounter difficulty to your average party level. It's their second major patch in the three days since release. Seems like they listen, and they fix, and they put in a lot of effort on timely patching.

I for one am extremely happy with this game. It is the game I should have got from Beamdog but didn't. And since I am quite certain I am not going to be getting a D&D CRPG any time soon, this is the game I will be completely relying on to scratch my major D&D itch.

2nd Patch ?

There is a 3rd hotfix out already. Apparently there is also big patch upcoming.
    But where in the maingame, can you see what ver. you have ? 1.01 or 1.0.3 ?
  • TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835
    lordkim said:

chimaera said:

lordkim said:

kanisatha said:

2nd Patch ?

But where in the maingame, can you see what ver. you have ? 1.01 or 1.0.3 ?
    If you have the GoG version it should tell you which version you currently have installed right on the games page in your library.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

Is there any point in doing a Magus-> Eldritch Knight?

I'd say no. EK is best suited to somebody who is running a pure caster class (ie Wizard or Sorceror) and wants to add Fighty stuff to it. A Magus who takes it looses out on a lot of good Magus features and gains very little, basically only higher BAB - something which your Magus abilities grant you anyway.

Basically Magus makes you a slightly less good at hitting things but much more versatile - being able to directly pick which kind of damage your weapon does, for example, has much greater use, as does the "armoured caster" branch of features, as well as the "combat caster" branch (which ends with you not needing to roll concentration checks at all!). I'm currently running a Magus (Eldritch Scion) and I'm staying Magus.
    im really enjoing this game :)

There is a very good game hidden amongst the bugs though.

lordkim said:

im really enjoing this game :)

agreedo

edited September 2018
    lso my Kickstarter portraits only show up once in a while at char creation, and I never got the minipets or the goofy spell or whatever
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Please. Post screenshot.
    Ugh, the stupid steam screenshot util dropped the screenshot since I played a few hours after I took it. But my point is, there's a huge area to the northwest of the ford in your screenshot you haven't explored. You might have to approach it from further north and push west. I'll try and grab one tomorrow morning and upload it right after I take it.

I'm really having a ball in this game. Finally got my second dragon disciple level on my main, and feel like I'm finally hitting my stride at level 7. MIrror Image is such a life saver in this game. No doubt about it, this game is super old school PnP style, and I'm loving it, even if I do die a lot and have to reload. No denying it is quite buggy still, but I'm having a great time. It's hard to not restart, my mind is awash with new builds I want to play through with. Trying to decide what to do my next playthrough, Magus, Duelist, Paladin/Stalwart Defender or Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple

Is there any point in doing a Magus-> Eldritch Knight? I don't like that the game makes you actually start the level process for levelling to a class to see what you can get out of it. The half orc Magus is surprisingly badass, and survives a lot of fights that drop by main and the Barb.

I love the fact that most of the companions have decent point spreads for their stats, so they're actually good at what they do. The First Pillars of Eternity annoyed the hell out of me for giving all the henchmen crap stats, so about the only thing I could say was Eder was an OK meat shield. I have fond memories of Minsc and Shar-Tell saving my parties ass by chunking dudes at the last minute before they killed us.

The thing that I adore about this game, is failure is an option, you won't always succeed in a mission, but that's OK. It also sets up things for completely different playthroughs where stuff plays out differently. For instance

I did things in completely the wrong order but Lynzi never got kidnapped by the slavers because of it.

I love hearing these stories about how things played out different for other people.
    I already played for more time and visited this areas on northwest. Still found ZERO clues about what to do, no clue about temple of Elrik and etc i already uninstalled the game because there are no more area to explore. and other people who did in "wrong order" had the SAME problem. No TEMPLE appears. No NPC appears, i already searched for maps on google and things that are on the map aren't on my map.

Bugs that prevent you for completing the MQ are the worst. I will wait until it is fixed. One critique that i have against BG is that i NEED walktroughts in many parts because i can't foretell what to do and walk in same dungeon 416853165156 times to see a hidden lever to open a indestructible wooden door that are more resistant to fire than a ancient red dragon is very annoying.

Other think that i really hate is puzzle. If i wanna solve puzzles, i will play portal. I don't wanna push randomly levers in order to open an indestructible wooden door
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i may buy this game when it's on sale but i'm not gonna hype myself up. besides the shadowrun games none of the kickstarter ie rebirths have clicked with me so i need to keep my expectations at a limit.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

i may buy this game when it's on sale but i'm not gonna hype myself up. besides the shadowrun games none of the kickstarter ie rebirths have clicked with me so i need to keep my expectations at a limit.

yeah, im going to wait for this game to go on sale before i buy it as well
    I would advise waiting for some major patches to go through and a sale, ya
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    chimaera said:

lordkim said:

kanisatha said:

2nd Patch ?

Yeah big patch by the end of next week, plus one or two more hotfixes in the meantime.
    kanisatha said:

chimaera said:

lordkim said:

kanisatha said:

2nd Patch ?

Yeah big patch by the end of next week, plus one or two more hotfixes in the meantime.
    I will try again after this big path.

Honestly, i think that Pathfinder is better than 5e, 3.5e and don't consider 4e as pnp rpg, 4e is a "generic mmo pnp"
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577

I already played for more time and visited this areas on northwest. Still found ZERO clues about what to do, no clue about temple of Elrik and etc i already uninstalled the game because there are no more area to explore. and other people who did in "wrong order" had the SAME problem. No TEMPLE appears. No NPC appears, i already searched for maps on google and things that are on the map aren't on my map.

Bugs that prevent you for completing the MQ are the worst. I will wait until it is fixed. One critique that i have against BG is that i NEED walktroughts in many parts because i can't foretell what to do and walk in same dungeon 416853165156 times to see a hidden lever to open a indestructible wooden door that are more resistant to fire than a ancient red dragon is very annoying.

Other think that i really hate is puzzle. If i wanna solve puzzles, i will play portal. I don't wanna push randomly levers in order to open an indestructible wooden door

IIRC, I think you had to go to that abandoned house way up in the northwest of that screenshot first.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.