Skip to content

Pathfinder : Kingmaker

Comments

• DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    So I'm finally playing pathfinders kingmaker for the first time... I'm literally blown away at it's character creation...

I barely made it to level 3 looking at all the people talking about how to build this type of character how to build that...

I when from starting with a druid who I wanted to focus o
    Support casting, pet and wildform primary

To making a general mage when I realized my druid is forced to fight melee early game with a scimitar (why yes I am literally this fickle when it comes to my characters.)

To making a mage who... I literally couldn't decided to do what with because and I'm literally reading everyone else does everything better...

Inquisitors, druids, clerics,and sorcerers make better summoners because of crap ton of reasons.

Arcane trickster (absolutely not) alchemist, again sorcerer make better boom boom everything is now dead classical damage dealing spell casters.

I'm honestly impressed and disheartened by this game xD I love it.

Now if only I could make up my friggin mind...

I'm currently on just a wizard, universalist who has spellfocus and greater spell focus on conjuration, why? No reason because. Not focusing summons sense I already know they don't get stronger unless you're hard focusing them and other classes do this better. I also don't want to just be shoehorned into a support slot as just a buff machine.

And despite all the awesome bloodline things the sorcerer has, I kinda don't want to be you know locked out of spell choice...

Wait... I thing I got it, anyone know a good direction to go for an immortal wizard lich build? I know sorcerer has the undead bloodline but I kinda want to stay a wizard! That way I smack the lying little *insert slur for gnome* with my spellbook!
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    The immense number of classes and their differences from classical D&D stereotypes make it quite complicated to create a character if you don't know the system. For instance, a Sylvan Sorcerer has an animal companion and giving one controlling spells while the companion deal with melee is not something that comes to mind if you don't know the system.

I wouldn't worry about the insane multiclass combos out there. You can play single classed and enjoy the game. I'm doing it now :)
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    Yeah, you can play single-class characters without much of a fuss. There are very interesting hybrid classes even if you do not want to pick a level of vivi+scale fist+whatever... and you can enjoy the level 20 habs. Some are very fun

Sometimes it seems it is not feasible because there are a lot of threads and builds about multi-multiclassing and power builds, but the game is playable as a single class.
    DragonKing wrote: »
    Wait... I thing I got it, anyone know a good direction to go for an immortal wizard lich build? I know sorcerer has the undead bloodline but I kinda want to stay a wizard! That way I smack the lying little *insert slur for gnome* with my spellbook!
    I do not remember if the Cruoromancer wizard was in KM too (the Call of the Wild added a lot of classes) but it was a necromage that uses his own blood to fuel the spells (kinda the blood mages of PoE and DA).

If not, maybe a necromancer or a wiz-eldrich knight so you can be a Death knight?

@PsicoVic
    @mlnevese
    I mean pure how I usually play, looking up up build, goggle "vs" between classes all while I play and I'm coming to some... Realizations.

Firstly I just settled on the wizard, specializing in conjuration, why? I typically play wizard class in dnd and since my "rival" is a sorcerer I like the idea of the "gifted" vs the "hard worker"

Every likes monster tactician best for a "summoner" class for obvious reasons, but it's always a battle about the Sylvan/abyssal/celestial sorcere, druid, herald caller on who is the best follow up since some don't seem to bloom until near end game while others have less pets/summons out yet I keep seeing video with people walking around with swarms of summons as if they were playing Diablo 2... I have no freaking clue how they have a whole army in a game with minimal spell slots and feets...

But the biggest let down so far? Despite the fact I see people calling wizard the most powerful class... I see almost no builds powergamer or thematically. Its like "it's just there"... I get it if you beat the game and already know what to prepare for then the wizard is king, but I'm level 3, walking around with 4k gold because I'm just exploring and fighting crap since I I don't know jack story wise except the fact that the person who became my favorite companion almost instantly is going to kick the bucket -_-...

Its like... Oh wizard? He's just there, no theme builds for him. You want to be a battle mage that focus on evocation spells? Sorcerer does it better. Summoner, we have like 5 other classes that does it better, a Wizard that focuses on protecting other, so and so does it better.

I'm kind of starting to view the wizard as not a first time play through caster claw which is kind of funny since it's usually just that.
  • Jaheiras_WitnessJaheiras_Witness Member Posts: 614
    The thing about playing pure wizard is that from a "power" perspective, you are just massively better off taking 1 level of Rogue and 10 levels of Arcane Trickster. You lose virtually nothing and gain so much.

When people talk about crazy multiclassing possibilities, I think they make it sound more complicated than it really is. Nearly every amazing build I've seen or come up with involves a 1 level dip into something else. That's it - just the one level diversion. The other 19 levels are in the core class or the core class + associated prestige class. For example, Traditional Monk 1/Sword Saint 19: Traditional Monk 1/Psychokineticist 19; Rogue 1/Spellcaster 9/Arcane Trickster 10. So it's not that difficult to set up and quite easy to roleplay as well.
    edited September 2021
    @Jaheiras_Witness
    But not everyone is interested in just a "power perspective" some people are interested in the thematic perspective that fit what they want to roleplay ass.

And even still 1 dip into something else is still multiclassing and that just doesn't interest me. I pick a class to be that class, if I need to take something from another class for it to work or be amazing than that class is either gimped or underpowered. Multi should be a supplement not a necessity to be amazing. If another class has something that compliments my character that's why we have party members is it not?

I've never multiclassed before and I'm not going to start now I'd rather just say screw it and pick a sorcerer because those bloodlines do interest me.

Either way I think I found a sage soc necromancer build that I'm going to try and adapt into a specialized Necro wizard character... Wish me look and good by divination and possible abjuration school.
    You were talking about how underwhelming your wizard was and not as powerful as other classes. I'm agreeing with you that you need to go the AT route to get the power you want from wizard.
    edited September 2021
    @Jaheiras_Witness
    My apologies not sounded like you were trying to convince me to do it since it's "not that hard"

My statement is mostly based on what I'm reading and not finding. All the readings basically boils down to, "play another class." I'm only level 3 playing the second highest difficulty beat a wizard who specializes in necromancy at the cost of enchantments and divination spells.

...who's died more times than he wants to emit... Effing random slaver encounter..fear half my team then spam summons... Had to go full cc to take them down.

Honestly I wanted to try gluttony but thassilonian school doesn't have cantrips which despite being weak are actually something I like... Aesthetically they look better than darts, slings, and crossbow.

I'm looking at other ways to keep things like amiri, Valerie, and linzi all single class as well.

On that note, I've unlocked Octavia and her buddy and imagine my shock... Rogue/mage... Do I even need to guess it? 90% of the builds will be turning her into an arcane trickster?

Edit
    Just Respec into the sin of gluttony to test it out, let's see how this goes
    Post edited by DragonKing on
    Yes indeed, Octavia is virtually designed to introduce you to Arcane Trickster (and btw her other half is set to introduce you to Dragon Disciple).

Sure you can be very puritanical in sticking to single classes and yes you can still have fun and win the game. But I'd say PFK is bit like Baldur's Gate in that classes are not equal. If a Sorcerer feels more effective than a Wizard...just think of it as the equivalent of Berserker vs Beastmaster from BG
    edited September 2021
    Oh my level 3 part just met Mr bear Trent...wtf man? Put all the buffs I had on Valerie, basically stacked up with fire spells because ef it's damage reduction! And still only go it down about 70% it's health before out of no where, it just switched off my tank and one shotted linzi to oblivion...

Second game did the same thing but this time it switch to Octavia who only has burning hands I might add and one shotted her....

I swear this thing better be worth some xp because I'm raging against the machine right now, 5 reloads... I like a challenge as much as the next man, I but this isn't a level appropriate story boss, 80 hp hard hitting multiattack, damage reduction... If you don't have any blunt weapons than you are screwed....

Edit

Also with that said, I'm liking the thassilonian so basically it's a wizard that gets the same amount of spell slots a sorcerer does, spells much earlier but no super bonus stuff that the bloodlines get. With the only downside is we don't get to chose the opposition school nor can we cast spells from those schools. Honestly if it just gave us a little bit extra in buffs or something, this would be my go to class for this game. I kinda want to do one with the conjuration school.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    DragonKing wrote: »
    Oh my level 3 part just met Mr bear Trent...wtf man? Put all the buffs I had on Valerie, basically stacked up with fire spells because ef it's damage reduction! And still only go it down about 70% it's health before out of no where, it just switched off my tank and one shotted linzi to oblivion...

Second game did the same thing but this time it switch to Octavia who only has burning hands I might add and one shotted her....

I swear this thing better be worth some xp because I'm raging against the machine right now, 5 reloads... I like a challenge as much as the next man, I but this isn't a level appropriate story boss, 80 hp hard hitting multiattack, damage reduction... If you don't have any blunt weapons than you are screwed....

Edit

Also with that said, I'm liking the thassilonian so basically it's a wizard that gets the same amount of spell slots a sorcerer does, spells much earlier but no super bonus stuff that the bloodlines get. With the only downside is we don't get to chose the opposition school nor can we cast spells from those schools. Honestly if it just gave us a little bit extra in buffs or something, this would be my go to class for this game. I kinda want to do one with the conjuration school.

it took me anywhere from 20 - 30 reloads but i was able to take that bear down at level 2 with one character in melee on hard difficulty, scythes landing critical hits are your friend :)
    Hey... Guess who's trapped in the "a just reward quest"...the makers of this game has to be a citizen of hell...

Beat the hydra but don't bother trying to fight or bypass the owl bear, that thing is supped up.... Got no stats to scale the wall... And tried to kill the manticore, got jumped by 2 red caps. Tried to sneak past the manticore... Got jumped by twored caps.

Traps all over the place and a man eating plant at the exit... Yea... No...
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    On my first playthrough I was a gnome bard with skill points in stealth so I just used vanish and walked out.
    Vallmyr wrote: »
    On my first playthrough I was a gnome bard with skill points in stealth so I just used vanish and walked out.

i assume you also had trickery as well? because isn't there some traps that spray glitterdust or some such on you and dispel and invisibility effects?
    Vallmyr wrote: »

How did you deal with the inescapable troll event afterwards? I basically said screw it, tloaded the save just before entering and decided to go back just to learn there is a freaking troll event where two trolls are attacking a caravan... And again I'm by myself, level 5 wizard with cc and summons they kill in 2 hits when the cc wears off and my summons fall to the cc...
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,459
    edited September 2021
    oh I think on the world map you can put your party members back in your party

Edit: I think it takes like. . . 2 days to do that though? Though I didn't run into that troll event on the way back, or at least not that I remember. . .
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    If you do not provoke the other monsters, you can also retry the wall climbing until you manage to do it, avoiding the tough ones and the traps; you only have to beat some redcap and a few wolves going that route.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    PsicoVic wrote: »
    If you do not provoke the other monsters, you can also retry the wall climbing until you manage to do it, avoiding the tough ones and the traps; you only have to beat some redcap and a few wolves going that route.
    Yeah this is what I always do, though I always play some form of melee warrior character.
    So I w been Respec into my character which is now at level 7 over and over again, getting a little feeling for thing like the druid and the cleric, the inquisitor, the thassilonian Wizard both gluttony, sloth, and now wrath, and I haven't really sorcerer yet but.

But honestly...I should've never tried the thassilonian... The others feel soo underwhelming when it comes to stats. 25 spell slots, already into my Fourth level spell slots while everyone else barely into their third.

I Respec into wrath just to test it against the scythe-tree, expecting my team to be wiped out after googling how the most poison drains con...to my surprise, I blew it away with controlled fireball and molten orbs... Valerie tanked that tree like a beast and just kept dropping those saves after save. No one died. But rog... Aka Mr I'm going to compete with armi for who dies the most did get poisoned after the battle and died.

Despite all the."oh no it's just a gimmick and not worth losing two schools." I really don't get the hate for this class. Infact Everytime I'm spec other classes, I groan at how little points I have to distribute but the 20 Intel kinda plays apart in that I guess.
    the level 3 priest spell Delay Poison, Communal last for an hour and protects all party members ( and summons ) from all poisoning effects/ ability draining effect from poison
    Here we go for a freaking third time.... I had this browser right now.

Oh I know, I wasn't expecting to win that to begin with which is why I was amazed at how fast I nuked it into oblivion, I'm currently playing on challenge btw.

I'm now looking at the bloodlines and thinking of making a lawful silver dragon character but here is a question, does dragon kind actually change the characters appearance?

I'm currently playing around with the undead bloodline, to compare to gluttony and honestly, I do like the traits like Dr, but I am wondering if "one of us" is something just unique to this bloodline or is it a feat/trait that I can pick and give to other characters of other classes such as gluttony.
    edited September 2021
    Double post I get it, but I have to vent for a moment... So I just finished troll trouble quest, that final battle was annoying... Val fainted twice before dying, amiri once before dying, Octavia once, and my mc once, thankfully linzi received my mc who proceeded to revive their Leppard than enuk's wolf and then summon monster lvl3 or four.

Also... For this whole dungeon I decided to test MT... And I see why people call it the best summoner jebus. Hearing people talking about all the perks and actually getting to see it first hand are two different thing. I ran through that whole dungeon without losing a single person or dying once thanks to the summon spam, plus val it's tanked out with some admen(don't know the full spelling off the top) armor which also helped, plus they summon faster than every other class so I can actually pull it off inside of fights... Some of these feats really should've been given to the conjurer school beyond just 50% duration.

Anyways onto the rant.

...so if there one mechanic in this whole game I freaking at more than anything, it's freaking locking dialogue choices behind alignment status instead of just having those choices shift my freaking alignment like they do with others.

This whole quest left a bad taste in my mouth and not many game quest can do that...I literally when in expecting to kill trolls but not commit a cold bloodednmass genocide though, literally even forced to kill the one troll who obviously didn't take part in the raids, and even wanted better for his people. Through this whole quest seeing how the kobald and even the trolls were growing and even some was actively trying to change, I was more than ready to try and make peace with them and establish relations between my barony and their newly formed kingdom the same way I did with the kobald and mites at old sycamore, just to get shot down. Why did it not happen, because I find out by some infinite logic, the vassal choice was locked behind the chaotic evil choice...like come again?

Why? What was chaotic evil about instead of committing a complete genocide, I try building a bridge towards peace and help two species that obviously posses the potential to be more than what they are, become something bigger.

Also speaking of dialogue in this game, am I literally the only person who look at some of the alignment choices and thing... That doesn't sound like something that's lawful good, or chaotic evil, or neutral good.. and my character is one that basically fluctuates between the various neutrals due to just how ungodly out of place they sound some times.

So now I'm literally about to download a mod I wanted to try to keep my game relatively unmoddes for the first playthrough, just to change my alignment and do this whole fight all over again -_-...

Edit:
    Also, ok I think I found something about the thassilonian classes I don't like, I assumed ontop of the restrictions, the sins still got the same perks that the specialization schools got but I'm guessing they don't.

Also, when did lawful good mean lawful Nazi or lawful genocide?
    Post edited by DragonKing on
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,590
    edited September 2021
    I actually think it adds alot of gameplay value that Kingmaker had both dialogue choices based on what alignments you were as well as choices that could shift your alignment. It opens up a lot of design possibilities within the dialogue system.

That's not to say that they always implemented this well, but it's definitely a good starting point. And I think Kingmaker woulda been a worse game if it only had the alignment shifting choices. Shifting your alignment would ultimately do very little from a gameplay perspective if they lacked options sealed off behind certain alignments.
    @DinoDin
    I could agree if some of the dialogue connected to the alignment made sense sometimes. Sometimes it did and others it just didn't.
    Simple solution - turn off being able to see dialogue options which you don't qualify for. Frustration gone.
    So I'm completely confused... I'm currently level t thassilonian conjuror, so I currently have dimension door... My logic, "ok with dd I should be able to just teleport to the other side of the wall before even having to fight the hydra and get out of the dryad's trap... So I try to cast DD to get to the top of the wall... He starts running towards the states being guarded by monsters.

Tries to cast on the other side of the wall... Same results.... Yet if I am already up there, I can dimensions door down to the other side? So much for my "solved this problem" card.
    Probably line of sight: from the top you can see down but from the bottom you can't see the top where you're trying to DD to.
    edited September 2021
    @Jaheiras_Witness
    Issue is, I actually pulled it off once with the whole party before Ii activated the quest and now afterwards it wouldn't work.

The area you get to through high athletics to escape fighting the monsters.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Dragonking , You are running into one of the reasons I quit playing. I didn't agree with the RP writing in too many of the choices. It was doing a story based on mechanics, and not letting me play a real character of my own creation. I felt forced into many scenarios that were simply not what my character would have chosen to do.

In fairness, all RPG's have the same problem, including Baldur's Gate, and I understand the difficulties and tradeoffs involved with player choice in game design. But I thought PF:K was especially badly done in how they handled player choice.

Apologies to the many people here who love it. I know they are not going to like my having expressed my negative opinion again.
    edited September 2021
    @BelgarathMTH
    I was fine with it being built around mechanics when it gives those mechanics something to do outside of"this just effects this in combat". I don't like having my dialogue locked, though. Seriously the alignment chart is suppose to be a general guide not a strict rule to be followed.

I've finally settled on finishing this run of the game as a undead bloodline lich that seats between chaotic good and chaotic neutral. His whole focus is to bring all the citizens of the savage lands under his rule as swiftly, hopefully peacefully as possible. He's already built an alliance with the kobald (Mr resurrected now serves him), the mites, and now the goblins. He left his kingdom open to the freedom of speech and press, while leaving it open to freedom of religion letting the worshipers of the mother of monsters remain since they technically broke no law. Seems all of my companions effing hated that. But here's the kickers, in the lonely tomb (can't remember it's actual name... There's a portal that holds a lich and the only supposed way to get past it is to defeat some super strong monsters scattered across the map.
    But hey, guess what I did? DIMENSION DOOR PASSED THE FREAKING THING and continued a quest I NEVER EVEN PICKED UP. I mean he wiped me because half my team didn't come with us and they couldn't join the fight.

I also hear that there is a way to make all of my city guards undead once I unlock arcane state, which I freaking hate that was locked behind divine for gods know what reason so I'm trying to get that done. All that seems to be left is to make peace with the fey, which I've been trying to do from the beginning and bring peace to all the remaining companions who's still have quests. Ekun just finished his last one I'm assuming.

I'm trying to see how much I can actually get done before going to varnshold which from what I've read should have some nice necromancy items for me.

Also I love nok nok, I'm definitely turning that little bastard into a hero!!!

Edit;
    I've also being seeing builds about people playing a literal dragon character, I think I'll make that my second playthrough, a lawful silver dragon who tries to romance the main antagonist.