Skip to content

Mindscapes: Paths of Uncertainty

Comments

• lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Francesco whispers back. "I don't have the adequate knowledge to understand half of these gadgets, but that cow dung can be a telling sign, that this place has a connection with the missing animals. I suggest two of us initiate a conversation, the others remain in hiding and keep alarmed if anything goes awry."
    Rik_KirtaniyamashedtatersSkatanThacoBell
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    "That's very clever Francesco! I concur. Who here has a ranged weapon and can cover the others from behind? I don't, I only have this [Vidar pats the quarterstaff] and these [Vidar briefly holds up his knuckles] so I volunteer to walk up to the goblin."

For simplicity sake I won't multiclass or whatever, but RP-wise my guys should have been a sacred fist prestige class, so a monk/druid multiclass who only use fists and quarterstaff. I'll see if I can weave it into his character as this story unfolds.
    lolienmashedtatersRik_KirtaniyaThacoBell
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    If the others agree, than Francesco and Vidar try to speak with the strange goblin.

I think we should let the others catch up a bit.

"Good day to you Mr. Goblin. We apologize for our unbidden visit, but we did not find any knock outside. We came from the hamlet near the wood, and would like to ask about the disappearing animals and people."
    mashedtatersRik_KirtaniyaSkatanThacoBell
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    "Aye, you guys go on ahead," Hek whispers. "Don't worry ne'er a bit. I am a dwarf after all, and we never needed much fer ranged weapons. A good dwarven charge usually strikes enough fear into goblins especially that they just freeze.

"But... if it's needed, I do have these throwing axes. Something tells me, though, despite me dwarven inclination to kill little monsters (no offense, Korb), that this goblin ain't a threat."

Hek draws his axe and shield, getting ready to burst around the corner screaming curses from Clangeddin at the slightest (and I mean absolute slightest) provocation. He's still a little miffed that he didn't get to fight that ogre.
    Rik_KirtaniyalolienSkatanThacoBell
    Vidar holds out his hands while he walks up next to the goblin next to Francesco to signal that he is not a threat. He positions himself so that the rest of the team get clear vision of what is happening and so he doesn't block their direct view of the goblin.

Vidar adds, after Francesco's sentence; "I have some skill in herbalism and alchemy myself, perhaps I can help you with your recipe if you want. What is it you are working on? Your work looks very fascinating, and if I may say so, you sure look very knowledgeable that I may learn a lot from if you would want to share some of your impressive work.

Vidar winks almost invisibly to Francesco as to show how he hopes his 'admiration' and open flattery might get the goblin in good mood.
    lolienThacoBellRik_Kirtaniyamashedtaters
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    *Korb hangs back, keeping a close on the situation*
    Rik_KirtaniyalolienSkatanmashedtaters
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited May 2018
    "Disappearing animals? What! You think I'm a zoo-keeper? Why must I always be bothered when I'm busy?" says the goblin.

He adjusts his spectacles over his long nose and looks at Vidar, "No, I don't need anybody's help! You will pretend to help, and then... and then, you'll steal all the credit for my invention! Like that nitwit Dr. Ogbefun did! You are all the same, you slippery swindlers, stealing subtle scientific systems by surreptitious strategies! And by the way, how did you get inside? This is not the place for ignorant villagers! Now off, off you go! Or I will... I will....."

The goblin doesn't seem to trust you.
    ThacoBelllolienSkatanmashedtaters
    "We got in through that door over there". Vidar turns around and points "..and I wouldn't call us very ignorant considering how easily we opened it and the previous ones as well *chuckle*".

"Now calm down my fellow, I would never steal your valuable work. I'm a mere recorder you see, I record all the great exploits and amazing feats of alchemy performed by virtuosos such as yourself." Vidar takes his tome out and pats on it. "In here I explain to the world the wonders you and your peers create and I bring these stories to all the taverns and inns and cities of the world! If you want to, you'll be a celebrity, perhaps even revered as the most well-known goblin of them all? Or not of course, if you want to you can of course not talk to me and no one will ever know of the wonders you created, they will be lost in time together with your name.. ... ... "

ThacoBellRik_Kirtaniyamashedtaterslolien
    edited May 2018
    Skatan said:

"We got in through that door over there". Vidar turns around and points "..and I wouldn't call us very ignorant considering how easily we opened it and the previous ones as well *chuckle*".

"Huh! That must have been through sheer luck! (Ahh, I should've put more protections...) Still *cough*, you don't appear as incompetent as that dunderheaded Ogbefun. So, you want to be my apprentice, hmm?" says the goblin.

Then he notices the tome in Vidar's hand. "What's that exactly? Is that the Patents Register? Are you representatives of the VSPTO? You want to record my deeds? Do I get exclusive rights for the protection of my intellectual properties? I want at least 50% royalty payment on every commercial usage of my inventions. 20% for non-commercial institutions. Don't think I don't have any ethics!"

VSPTO = Vardenshire Patents and Trademarks Office
    ThacoBellSkatanmashedtaterslolien
    "We have a deal, my friend. I will note it down in this tome, but I can't of course show you because this tome also holds the patents of other inventors and mages and it's therefore strictly forbidden for anyone but myself and the institution to read in this tome."

"Now then, with all of this settled. Do you want to tell us who you are, about your experiments and explain what it is you are working on?"
    Rik_KirtaniyamashedtatersThacoBelllolien
    "What? You don't know who I am? Alas, then you are ignorant indeed! Nonetheless, I shall quench your thirst for knowledge. Know well that on this day, you have the good fortune of meeting the great Don Pyrenicus! Yes, that's me! What I am working on is very special. This," he shows the test tube he had been working on, "is a new formula of highly potent Biogas, Neolithium 2,4-diphenyl-5-amino-8-chlorododecanoate! This will create a potentially inexhaustible source of renewable energy and will end the requirement of coal and firewood! You need high quality cow dung for this!" He points to the crates in the corner. "Everything is licensed here. I pay for all my apparatus and ingredients. However, don't expect me to tell you how to make this formula. It is a secret, and even if I have to die with it, it will stay a secret! Now if you are satisfied, I would be very pleased if you leave me alone... IMMEDIATELY!"
    ThacoBelllolienmashedtaters
    "One last question before we leave, who is your provider for cow dung? I assume you use a lot of it."
    Rik_KirtaniyaThacoBelllolienmashedtaters
    “Bah!” Hek mutters disdainfully. “There’ll never be any suitable replacement for coal in a dwarven forge! Plus, it doesn’t stink...”
    Rik_KirtaniyaThacoBelllolienSkatan
    Skatan said:

"One last question before we leave, who is your provider for cow dung? I assume you use a lot of it."

"Why should I tell you? So that you can imitate my methods and make your own formula? Whatever you do and whatever you try, it will never be as efficient as mine! People will prefer my formula over yours! Even with the best quality cow dung, you cannot make this kind of innovative fuel!" says the goblin.

"Still, if you are in a mood for cow dung cakes, for that is all that you'll be able to make, you can contact Zacharias Gorghorus. And tell him that it was I who referred him to you! (Ha, ha, now I can get extra reference discounts.) And now, what about my royalty payment? When do I get it?"
    ThacoBellmashedtatersSkatanlolien
    *Korb leans over to Hek and whispers* "Looks like we have our lead."
    mashedtatersRik_KirtaniyaSkatanlolien
    "Aye!" Hek whispers. "But mayhap we can gets a bit more out of him, eh?"

Hek stomps out around the corner, threateningly dwarfish.

"Oy! Where can we find this Zacharias Gorghorus?" I shout. "I'm the contract enforcer, I am, and I've got a bone to pick with him!"
    Rik_KirtaniyaThacoBellSkatanlolien
    Seeing the recent inactivity of this thread, am I right to assume that most of you are busy playing Pillars of Eternity 2? If so, I guess I should rather pause this story awhile, for this shall be rather a hindrance than a relaxation under these circumstances, when there are greater amusements available. What do you say? Maybe we can continue later on? :)
    Skatanmashedtaterslolien
    I still check in most days, but I've taken a rather prominent part so far and don't want to take too much space and room, meaning I don't want to push my character into the front always just because I read this forum almost every day.
    mashedtatersRik_Kirtaniyalolien
    I HAVE been playing PoE2, but I can only play it when my son is sleeping. I check this thread every morning, but I'm not a take charge kind of guy. I think one of us tends to work ovre the weekend though, so weekends may be kind of slow in general.
    mashedtatersRik_KirtaniyalolienSkatan
    edited May 2018
    I’m easy whatever we decide to do. @Rik_Kirtaniya if you find some people aren’t moving the game along, you can just kill them off. :D Jk!

Edit: (That’s weird, it’s not showing the rest of my comment!)

Just kidding about killing us off! Haha!
    Seriously, this is a no pressure thing. I’m totally fine with waiting. You’re the DM, though. If you decide that a few weeks of no check-ins for the characters is too long, you could assume they just got lost in the corridors until they show up again. Up to you.

But I do work every other weekend, and coming up I am expecting that I’ll be working 7 12hr shifts for a while. I’ll check in when I can! I’m still down for this game!
    ThacoBellRik_KirtaniyalolienSkatan
    edited May 2018
    Well, actually, it appears that I myself won't be able to continue this story either. I'm sorry to say that, but as it turns out, I've got other real life matters that need greater attention at the moment, which is why I won't be getting enough time for this in the near future. It might be disappointing for you, but I've got no other way. :/

Anyways, if you wish, one of you can take the role of the DM, and continue this story in your own way. :)
    mashedtaterslolienSkatanThacoBell
    edited May 2018
    OK, sad to hear it @Rik_Kirtaniya but real life always have to come first, and that's ok. Thanks for the journey so far, it was really funny and interesting. Never did a RP thread like this before and I admit I liked it a lot and would gladly do it again.

Wish you all the best with whatever it is you have to focus on. Cheers.
    lolienRik_KirtaniyaThacoBellmashedtaters
    I'm interested @Nimran.
    NimranlolienRik_Kirtaniyamashedtaters
    Good luck with with the irl stuff @Rik_Kirtaniya . Thank you for the fun story you have provided for us up until now.

I'd be up for a new one with @Nimran as well.
    Rik_KirtaniyamashedtaterslolienSkatan
    I agree with the sentiments expressed so far. And I’m up for a new game with @Nimran as well, if he’s willing to put it together.

Thanks @Rik_Kirtaniya !
    ThacoBelllolienRik_KirtaniyaSkatan
    Well shoot. You have my familie's well wishes and prayers.
    lolien