Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

Classes for a DLC

2»

Comments

  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 707
    edited June 2018
    All of them
    I'm not well-versed in D&D, but as I understand it a Favoured Soul is basically a Cleric Sorcerer? Because I'd quite enjoy that. We already have a Druid Sorcerer (Shaman), so why not?
    The Psion also sounds very interesting and different from what we already have.

    Having said that, I wouldn't be happy if the DLC was just the class itself. I'd buy it if it added a couple more quests or a new character for example.

    Raduziel
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 4,951
    Psionic
    Maybe Warlock, but a favoured soul doesn't play out so differently considering a regular Cleric with its WIS bonuses to slots have enough slots to have spells for any situation anyways. Or maybe that's just my Modus Operandi though.

    A psion, however, I have never played and I think it would be a cool addition to the regular classes.

    RaduzielmashedtatersProont
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 5,508
    All of them
    Skatan said:

    Maybe Warlock, but a favoured soul doesn't play out so differently considering a regular Cleric with its WIS bonuses to slots have enough slots to have spells for any situation anyways. Or maybe that's just my Modus Operandi though.

    A psion, however, I have never played and I think it would be a cool addition to the regular classes.

    The favored soul got bonus spells for charisma in NWN2. That's based on D&D 3.5 though. Sorcerers also got bonus spells for charisma. Talk about making a powerful class even more powerful!

    SkatanmashedtatersProont
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 4,951
    Psionic
    Balrog99 said:

    Skatan said:

    Maybe Warlock, but a favoured soul doesn't play out so differently considering a regular Cleric with its WIS bonuses to slots have enough slots to have spells for any situation anyways. Or maybe that's just my Modus Operandi though.

    A psion, however, I have never played and I think it would be a cool addition to the regular classes.

    The favored soul got bonus spells for charisma in NWN2. That's based on D&D 3.5 though. Sorcerers also got bonus spells for charisma. Talk about making a powerful class even more powerful!
    Yeah, I actually think all sorcerer types should be restricted to only a few schools of magic or a selected couple of spells since they gain a lot but sacrifice nothinng really. I mean, if you don't actually study magic, then how can you learn spells created by a wizard, ie all named spells like Melf's, Aganazzar's, Abi Dhalzim etc? It's kinda weird. Even if you are a musical prodigy you don't learn Beethoven or Bach inherently by just using your skills.

    mashedtaters
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    None of them
    Skatan said:

    Balrog99 said:

    Skatan said:

    Maybe Warlock, but a favoured soul doesn't play out so differently considering a regular Cleric with its WIS bonuses to slots have enough slots to have spells for any situation anyways. Or maybe that's just my Modus Operandi though.

    A psion, however, I have never played and I think it would be a cool addition to the regular classes.

    The favored soul got bonus spells for charisma in NWN2. That's based on D&D 3.5 though. Sorcerers also got bonus spells for charisma. Talk about making a powerful class even more powerful!
    Yeah, I actually think all sorcerer types should be restricted to only a few schools of magic or a selected couple of spells since they gain a lot but sacrifice nothinng really. I mean, if you don't actually study magic, then how can you learn spells created by a wizard, ie all named spells like Melf's, Aganazzar's, Abi Dhalzim etc? It's kinda weird. Even if you are a musical prodigy you don't learn Beethoven or Bach inherently by just using your skills.

    No they don't! They can't multiclass, and they don't get the +2 bonus to saving throws for opponents.

    What I do fail to see is the difference between favored soul and shaman. They are both spontaneous casters etc. The only difference is which weapons they are allowed to use.

  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,716
    All of them
    @DrakeICN

    Favored Soul = cleric spells

    Shaman = druid spells

    And some other minor features. Way more than just their weapon selection.

    SkatanThacoBellmashedtatersProont
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 4,951
    Psionic
    DrakeICN said:

    Skatan said:

    Balrog99 said:

    Skatan said:

    Maybe Warlock, but a favoured soul doesn't play out so differently considering a regular Cleric with its WIS bonuses to slots have enough slots to have spells for any situation anyways. Or maybe that's just my Modus Operandi though.

    A psion, however, I have never played and I think it would be a cool addition to the regular classes.

    The favored soul got bonus spells for charisma in NWN2. That's based on D&D 3.5 though. Sorcerers also got bonus spells for charisma. Talk about making a powerful class even more powerful!
    Yeah, I actually think all sorcerer types should be restricted to only a few schools of magic or a selected couple of spells since they gain a lot but sacrifice nothinng really. I mean, if you don't actually study magic, then how can you learn spells created by a wizard, ie all named spells like Melf's, Aganazzar's, Abi Dhalzim etc? It's kinda weird. Even if you are a musical prodigy you don't learn Beethoven or Bach inherently by just using your skills.

    No they don't! They can't multiclass, and they don't get the +2 bonus to saving throws for opponents.

    What I do fail to see is the difference between favored soul and shaman. They are both spontaneous casters etc. The only difference is which weapons they are allowed to use.
    Sorcerer is a 3E class AFAIK, so in this case I was not talking about their BG version but rather their core mechanics from the edition they are in, as I know them. It was probably not super-clear though.

    Not being able to multiclass is super-weird as well considering magic comes to them inherently, so why would that omit them from practicing something else at the same time? Again, oddly illogical. It would make sense that someone who has to study hard cannot focus on two areas at the same time rather than the opposite, hehe.. but I am derailing the thread with my ramblings, so I'll stop talking now.

    Balrog99ThacoBellmashedtatersProont
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 4,951
    Psionic
    Raduziel said:

    @DrakeICN

    Favored Soul = cleric spells

    Shaman = druid spells

    And some other minor features. Way more than just their weapon selection.

    in NVN2 both clerics and druids can convert some spells into their class spells, ie healing and summoning etc, spontaneously. 'Tis a bit of overlap on the Favoured Soul's and Shaman's mechanics making them less unique. Though the different main stats make those classes favorable for other multiclasses or prestige classes, which is one of the best part of the 3/3.5 versions IMHO.

    mashedtaters
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,716
    All of them
    Skatan said:



    Not being able to multiclass is super-weird as well considering magic comes to them inherently, so why would that omit them from practicing something else at the same time? Again, oddly illogical. It would make sense that someone who has to study hard cannot focus on two areas at the same time rather than the opposite, hehe.. but I am derailing the thread with my ramblings, so I'll stop talking now.

    I think that Sorcerers are too busy trying not to kill themselves or everyone around them with a power they barely understand.

    Balrog99mashedtatersProont
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    None of them
    Skatan said:

    DrakeICN said:

    Skatan said:

    Balrog99 said:

    Skatan said:

    Maybe Warlock, but a favoured soul doesn't play out so differently considering a regular Cleric with its WIS bonuses to slots have enough slots to have spells for any situation anyways. Or maybe that's just my Modus Operandi though.

    A psion, however, I have never played and I think it would be a cool addition to the regular classes.

    The favored soul got bonus spells for charisma in NWN2. That's based on D&D 3.5 though. Sorcerers also got bonus spells for charisma. Talk about making a powerful class even more powerful!
    Yeah, I actually think all sorcerer types should be restricted to only a few schools of magic or a selected couple of spells since they gain a lot but sacrifice nothinng really. I mean, if you don't actually study magic, then how can you learn spells created by a wizard, ie all named spells like Melf's, Aganazzar's, Abi Dhalzim etc? It's kinda weird. Even if you are a musical prodigy you don't learn Beethoven or Bach inherently by just using your skills.

    No they don't! They can't multiclass, and they don't get the +2 bonus to saving throws for opponents.

    What I do fail to see is the difference between favored soul and shaman. They are both spontaneous casters etc. The only difference is which weapons they are allowed to use.
    Sorcerer is a 3E class AFAIK, so in this case I was not talking about their BG version but rather their core mechanics from the edition they are in, as I know them. It was probably not super-clear though.

    Not being able to multiclass is super-weird as well considering magic comes to them inherently, so why would that omit them from practicing something else at the same time? Again, oddly illogical. It would make sense that someone who has to study hard cannot focus on two areas at the same time rather than the opposite, hehe.. but I am derailing the thread with my ramblings, so I'll stop talking now.
    Eh, the game mechanics aren't always superlogical anyways. I think it's perfectly fine to implement restrictions or whatever for game balance reasons. Indeed, I think the reason I dislike NWN so much is precisely because of hardcore they interpret the 3E rules - they sacrificed balance and thereby all strategic gameplay and everything else that makes combat fun in order to slavishly / sheepishly follow the rules. NWN is just "my excel spreadsheet stats are higher than the opponent, I click I win". It's like Diablo... only Diablo at least derives some fun from the fact it is an action RPG so your input matters. But I digress, but point was, gameplay comes first, logic a distant second. No wait, not second, there is also story, and atmosphere and...

    Dev6mashedtaters
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 4,951
    Psionic
    DrakeICN said:




    Eh, the game mechanics aren't always superlogical anyways. I think it's perfectly fine to implement restrictions or whatever for game balance reasons. Indeed, I think the reason I dislike NWN so much is precisely because of hardcore they interpret the 3E rules - they sacrificed balance and thereby all strategic gameplay and everything else that makes combat fun in order to slavishly / sheepishly follow the rules. NWN is just "my excel spreadsheet stats are higher than the opponent, I click I win". It's like Diablo... only Diablo at least derives some fun from the fact it is an action RPG so your input matters. But I digress, but point was, gameplay comes first, logic a distant second. No wait, not second, there is also story, and atmosphere and...

    I actually think 3E and NVN is a great mechanic for a game. My only caveat is the arbitrarily definitions on what is a skill and what is a feat which sometimes is a bit clunky. Sure, the almost 100% player choice freedom in character building you get is a powergamers dream, but ultimately you can choose to 'munchkin' it out or not, that has little to do with the edition itself but a lot to do with you as a player.

    Balrog99mashedtatersProont
  • ProontProont Member Posts: 124
    Warlock
    Warlock definitely. Psions would be good too. I don't like the divine classes.

    Raduziel
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,716
    All of them
    Just crossed my mind: another proper stronghold that could be packed into this DLC is one for monk.

    Proont
Sign In or Register to comment.