Skip to content

Classes for a DLC

2»

Comments

• Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    edited June 2018
    I'm not well-versed in D&D, but as I understand it a Favoured Soul is basically a Cleric Sorcerer? Because I'd quite enjoy that. We already have a Druid Sorcerer (Shaman), so why not?
    The Psion also sounds very interesting and different from what we already have.

Having said that, I wouldn't be happy if the DLC was just the class itself. I'd buy it if it added a couple more quests or a new character for example.
    Raduziel
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    RaduzielBalrog99Proont
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Maybe Warlock, but a favoured soul doesn't play out so differently considering a regular Cleric with its WIS bonuses to slots have enough slots to have spells for any situation anyways. Or maybe that's just my Modus Operandi though.

A psion, however, I have never played and I think it would be a cool addition to the regular classes.
    RaduzielmashedtatersProont
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Skatan said:

Maybe Warlock, but a favoured soul doesn't play out so differently considering a regular Cleric with its WIS bonuses to slots have enough slots to have spells for any situation anyways. Or maybe that's just my Modus Operandi though.

A psion, however, I have never played and I think it would be a cool addition to the regular classes.

The favored soul got bonus spells for charisma in NWN2. That's based on D&D 3.5 though. Sorcerers also got bonus spells for charisma. Talk about making a powerful class even more powerful!
    SkatanmashedtatersProont
    Balrog99 said:

Skatan said:

The favored soul got bonus spells for charisma in NWN2. That's based on D&D 3.5 though. Sorcerers also got bonus spells for charisma. Talk about making a powerful class even more powerful!
    Yeah, I actually think all sorcerer types should be restricted to only a few schools of magic or a selected couple of spells since they gain a lot but sacrifice nothinng really. I mean, if you don't actually study magic, then how can you learn spells created by a wizard, ie all named spells like Melf's, Aganazzar's, Abi Dhalzim etc? It's kinda weird. Even if you are a musical prodigy you don't learn Beethoven or Bach inherently by just using your skills.

mashedtaters
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Skatan said:

Balrog99 said:

Skatan said:

Yeah, I actually think all sorcerer types should be restricted to only a few schools of magic or a selected couple of spells since they gain a lot but sacrifice nothinng really. I mean, if you don't actually study magic, then how can you learn spells created by a wizard, ie all named spells like Melf's, Aganazzar's, Abi Dhalzim etc? It's kinda weird. Even if you are a musical prodigy you don't learn Beethoven or Bach inherently by just using your skills.

No they don't! They can't multiclass, and they don't get the +2 bonus to saving throws for opponents.

What I do fail to see is the difference between favored soul and shaman. They are both spontaneous casters etc. The only difference is which weapons they are allowed to use.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @DrakeICN

Favored Soul = cleric spells

Shaman = druid spells

And some other minor features. Way more than just their weapon selection.
    SkatanThacoBellmashedtatersProont
    DrakeICN said:

Skatan said:

Balrog99 said:

Skatan said:

No they don't! They can't multiclass, and they don't get the +2 bonus to saving throws for opponents.

What I do fail to see is the difference between favored soul and shaman. They are both spontaneous casters etc. The only difference is which weapons they are allowed to use.
    Sorcerer is a 3E class AFAIK, so in this case I was not talking about their BG version but rather their core mechanics from the edition they are in, as I know them. It was probably not super-clear though.

Not being able to multiclass is super-weird as well considering magic comes to them inherently, so why would that omit them from practicing something else at the same time? Again, oddly illogical. It would make sense that someone who has to study hard cannot focus on two areas at the same time rather than the opposite, hehe.. but I am derailing the thread with my ramblings, so I'll stop talking now.
    Balrog99ThacoBellmashedtatersProont
    Raduziel said:

@DrakeICN

Favored Soul = cleric spells

Shaman = druid spells

And some other minor features. Way more than just their weapon selection.

in NVN2 both clerics and druids can convert some spells into their class spells, ie healing and summoning etc, spontaneously. 'Tis a bit of overlap on the Favoured Soul's and Shaman's mechanics making them less unique. Though the different main stats make those classes favorable for other multiclasses or prestige classes, which is one of the best part of the 3/3.5 versions IMHO.
    mashedtaters
    Skatan said:

Not being able to multiclass is super-weird as well considering magic comes to them inherently, so why would that omit them from practicing something else at the same time? Again, oddly illogical. It would make sense that someone who has to study hard cannot focus on two areas at the same time rather than the opposite, hehe.. but I am derailing the thread with my ramblings, so I'll stop talking now.

I think that Sorcerers are too busy trying not to kill themselves or everyone around them with a power they barely understand.
    Balrog99mashedtatersProont
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    Skatan said:

DrakeICN said:

Skatan said:

Balrog99 said:

Skatan said:

Sorcerer is a 3E class AFAIK, so in this case I was not talking about their BG version but rather their core mechanics from the edition they are in, as I know them. It was probably not super-clear though.

Eh, the game mechanics aren't always superlogical anyways. I think it's perfectly fine to implement restrictions or whatever for game balance reasons. Indeed, I think the reason I dislike NWN so much is precisely because of hardcore they interpret the 3E rules - they sacrificed balance and thereby all strategic gameplay and everything else that makes combat fun in order to slavishly / sheepishly follow the rules. NWN is just "my excel spreadsheet stats are higher than the opponent, I click I win". It's like Diablo... only Diablo at least derives some fun from the fact it is an action RPG so your input matters. But I digress, but point was, gameplay comes first, logic a distant second. No wait, not second, there is also story, and atmosphere and...
    Dev6mashedtaters
    DrakeICN said:

Eh, the game mechanics aren't always superlogical anyways. I think it's perfectly fine to implement restrictions or whatever for game balance reasons. Indeed, I think the reason I dislike NWN so much is precisely because of hardcore they interpret the 3E rules - they sacrificed balance and thereby all strategic gameplay and everything else that makes combat fun in order to slavishly / sheepishly follow the rules. NWN is just "my excel spreadsheet stats are higher than the opponent, I click I win". It's like Diablo... only Diablo at least derives some fun from the fact it is an action RPG so your input matters. But I digress, but point was, gameplay comes first, logic a distant second. No wait, not second, there is also story, and atmosphere and...

I actually think 3E and NVN is a great mechanic for a game. My only caveat is the arbitrarily definitions on what is a skill and what is a feat which sometimes is a bit clunky. Sure, the almost 100% player choice freedom in character building you get is a powergamers dream, but ultimately you can choose to 'munchkin' it out or not, that has little to do with the edition itself but a lot to do with you as a player.
    Balrog99mashedtatersProont
  • ProontProont Member Posts: 141
    Warlock definitely. Psions would be good too. I don't like the divine classes.
    Raduziel
    Just crossed my mind: another proper stronghold that could be packed into this DLC is one for monk.
    Proont