Skip to content

How dows a roll of 18 looks in each stat? How about a roll of 3?

MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
In other words, 18 Str is to be very jacked, right? What if you are shorty but musculated? Lowers it to 15-16 or you can still be 18? Actually, to have high Str do you always have to be a He-Man type of guy? How do I know my strength roll in real life?

Even more intriguing with Constitution. You have to be big or lean to be Con 18? You can’t be short and skinny although you still eat healthy and exercise? Con affects HP so that means you are big, right? My bet was like an athlete, not necessarily big but someone who can run a marathon.

Obviously this is related character creation and role playing.
Post edited by MonoCanalla on

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    What is your strength score in real life?

How much can you actually carry without being encumbered/slowing down? Compare that to the STR table.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Str 18 in AD&D is quite rare and heroic , so big muscles are a must . On the other hand, some people can be quite Strong ans still look apparently skinny.

As for constitution, I do not believe that it's such a visible attribute, since it involves your immunity system and ability to heal.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited June 2018
    Gygax used the following system for strength in the 1st ed. DMG. I'm not saying it's definitive but it's about as good as it gets as far as relating a game to RL (IMO). There are also rates of moving while being unencumbered (different than the overhead lifting rating) but I always felt a two hands military style press above the head was easier to measure reliably (using a strict style anyway) for RL tests (just for kicks, mind you ;) ). That used to be an actual olympic lift until 1972 when it was eliminated, as it got harder to judge due to looser styles of lifting that came along with it.
    *A strength score is equal to the stat number x10 that the creature can lift above its head. A human with an 18 strength (lift 180lbs above the head) and an additional percentile dice roll is able to lift 1 additional pound for every percentage point up to and including 50%, 4 pounds for every percentage point from 51% to 90%, and 8 pounds for each percentage point from 91 % to 00%. (18/00 about 470lbs or thereabouts). I never saw anything above 18/00 rated using that scale, just carrying load/encumbrance factors after that for 19+ strengths.
    The actual appearance can vary, as mentioned, as one can have more or less body fat and still have the same strength rating. In general though, a higher strength will more than likely have more muscle mass regardless (but were not even getting into tendon and ligament attachment points, types of muscle fibers, and the size of the muscle bellies themselves).
    It used to be asked 'how much can you (military) press', whereas now it has morphed into 'how much can ya bench press'. Kind of a shame really as the bench press has wrecked a few more shoulders and torn a few more pecs than the strongmen of the past did with shoulder/military presses. Not that I am against it as a rule, just sayin. B)

Constitution would be the harder one to measure compared to strength I think, as there are more factors involved. I would say even more so when considering the varying methods of describing hit points in relation to damage taken, disease/fatigue resistance, duckin & dodging, fighting expertise, and ability to stand taking damage, etc.

Lawd, I didn't mean to go into that much detail but there it is. :pB)
    Post edited by Zaghoul on
  • MonoCanallaMonoCanalla Member Posts: 291
    Wow, that’s epic. I think I won’t ever do a 18 Str character anymore.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I'm more interested in how 3 Strength looks, or 3 Constitution (specifically, how a human would look with those stats, not a will-o-wisp).
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited June 2018

I'm more interested in how 3 Strength looks, or 3 Constitution (specifically, how a human would look with those stats, not a will-o-wisp).

This. (Disturbingly thin human in photo. This is known to bother some people, so be warned.)

You are saying Bruce Lee is 18 or what?

I'm saying that looks can be deceiving and someone can be stronger or even weaker than they look.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I thought @TrentOster had 18str.
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    edited June 2018
    Looks are not everything in case of who is stronger:

Here, in this well-known classic Conan comic, his enemy looks taller, broader and more muscular than Conan:
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_5YsHcdKj67c/TOs8XTA_4kI/AAAAAAAAC1c/deSJO8JHoYk/s1600/Savage_Sword_of_Conan_014-28.jpg

Yet they try to strangle each other and Conan easily out-strengths (and/or out-cons) him and kills him:
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_5YsHcdKj67c/TOs78d4IdYI/AAAAAAAAC1E/dmWAzxj8zOk/s1600/Savage_Sword_of_Conan_014-31.jpg (a few pages are skipped while they are struggling)

Ofcourse it is CONAN, after all, but I think there is a ring of truth here. Some body builders look very muscular, they have almost baloon like muscles and biceps. However I think they are mostly for show, they are often not really strong, they tire out easily and other guys with well-defined and hardened muscles can beat them in strength contests. Also, there is the factor of adrenaline and in game terms, berserk/rage-many smaller people are known to perform outstanding strength feats when faced in a danger or panic situation.

For truly low scores it should be more apparent. Look up for emaciated African people photos or people in the final stages of full-blown aids. It is very apparent that they are at the end of their muscle strength/and hardy constitution.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Size/mass isn’t everything, but it makes a difference. I’ve played and seen enough sports to have plenty of evidence.
    tbone1 said:

Size/mass isn’t everything, but it makes a difference. I’ve played and seen enough sports to have plenty of evidence.

To a point. A large size difference would affect things more than just mass though, and not always in favor of the bigger person.
    With all of this useful information, I’m gonna try to turn this conversation back to Baldurs Gate.

Si it would be realistic to have a character that looks like Haer-Dalis or Valugar and yet have the same Str roll of Minsc or Sarevok? Like Bruce Lee, I mean...
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    ThacoBell said:

I'm saying that looks can be deceiving and someone can be stronger or even weaker than they look.
    Looks can indeed be deceiving, and Bruce Lee was definitely incredibly strong for his size and weight.
    But if we're judging strength alone then this is what I'd say 18str looks like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5jUHFCqCEM

Or maybe that'd be 19str...
    18STR can carry 200 lbs for 8 hours (depending on CON) before becoming fatigued.

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Hmmm, now I'm wondering what it'd be like talking to somebody with 3 intelligence (could they even eat with a fork?), or how much money I'd win playing poker with somebody who had 3 wisdom. I'm starting to reconsider using dump-stats!
    If I recall 3 intelligence/wisdom are strictly subhuman stats. subdog for that matter. Worms might have 3 intelligence/wisdom.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Balrog99 said:

Hmmm, now I'm wondering what it'd be like talking to somebody with 3 intelligence (could they even eat with a fork?)

I'll send you my former boss' phone number

If I recall 3 intelligence/wisdom are strictly subhuman stats. subdog for that matter. Worms might have 3 intelligence/wisdom.

Wow, my paladins usually have the intelligence of a worm? That explains a lot. At least after I break into Ragefast's house I can elevate to cricket level intelligence!
    edited June 2018
    Ok, ok. Who would be Charisma 18? Maybe Han Solo? Marylin Monroe? Eddie Murphy? John Lennon?

What’s the Charisma of Obama?

Donald Trump?

How Charisma 3 looks like?

Serious answers, please.
    edited June 2018

Ok, ok. Who would be Charisma 18? Maybe Han Solo? Marylin Monroe? Eddie Murphy? John Lennon?

What’s the Charisma of Obama?

Donald Trump?

How Charisma 3 looks like?

Serious answers, please.

Bill Clinton an 18 maybe? At least back in his prime. 3 would be the homeless wino with no teeth and muttering curse words under his breath constantly.

Might want to start a new thread for this though.
    Or the topic could be titled about all the stats in general.

My bet for Charisma 3 would be Joseph Merrick.

edited June 2018
    Yes, I agree on that. But have you seen/read how Joseph Merrick interacts, in the different media in which he appears? And yet of course that’s caused in good (or most part) by his physical condition.

Also, Charisma must be fluid (as any stat should be). It could change and evolve.
    Yeah, I tend to think of Charisma as the "Social Skills" stat more than a looks thing. Some people can speak charmingly, convincingly. Other people are just skin peelingly awkward or offputting.

A politician who speaks to large crowds and rallies them all behind his cause, charismatic.

A seer who foretells a frightening future only to be laughed out of town as a madman, less charismatic.
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719

Ok, ok. Who would be Charisma 18?

Adolf Hitler.

What? You know it's true.