Skip to content

What, in your opinion, is the most favourite Beamdog title?

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
Note "the most favourite" part. It's difficult to define what "the best" product can be, as everyone have their own opinion. Which title do you think other people consider the most favorite? Which title do you like the most and why? The more detail you put into your replies, the better.
  1. What, in your opinion, is the most favourite Beamdog title?88 votes
    1. Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition
      32.95%
    2. Baldur's Gate II: Enhanced Edition
      32.95%
    3. Icewind Dale: Enhanced Edition
        7.95%
    4. Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear
      10.23%
    5. Planescape: Torment: Enhanced Edition
        1.14%
    6. Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition
      13.64%
    7. DLC or a Soundtrack (please define which one)
        0.00%
    8. Beamdog titles are not interesting to me
        1.14%

Comments

• O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    Baldur's Gate II is my favourite cRPG of all time, so naturally its enhanced edition is my pick of choice. It does a lot things better than the first game, and even if there is fewer side-areas, they are usually much more meaningful and content-rich.

As for other Beamdog titles, I have yet to play Planescape Torment and Neverwinter Nights so I can't say anything about them.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    I think Siege of Dragonspear is the most well done, but BG2 is the one I grew up with and is very dear to me. The nonlinearity is also a big draw for me personally.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    Shandyr said:

Wait a minute, would you like to know what my favorite Beamdog title is?
    Or would you like to know what I think the most favorite Beamdog title is?

"Which title do you think other people consider the most favorite? Which title do you like the most and why?"

I am not sure which question my vote is for.

For the poll, go with the one you think other people consider the most favorite, and why. In your replies, include your own favourite title, and why.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Axis and Allies
  • SethDavisSethDavis Member Posts: 1,812
    edited September 2018
    Must... not... click... "not interesting"

Edit: I am weak
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    It is a hard question because the baldur s gate series, in my opinion, is better for the pc.
    Ice wind dale, something I found boring when it came out, ported better to iOS.

But nwn will still be my favorite if they can bring it to iOS. Right now on pc it isn’t exactly all that enthralling.
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited September 2018
    Personally, I like BG1 more because I like open areas. And I prefer to start at level 1 so I can unlock new things while leveling-up instead of starting the game with already a lot of capacities. And with the Enhanced Edition, we now have the enhancements from the BG2 engine directly into the first game :)

But I think BG2 is often seen as the best IE game. So my vote is for BG2:EE.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,725
    SethDavis said:

LoL! What is interesting to you? May be this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Shandyr said:

"on this forum" and "outside of this forum".

A good point. Take this into consideration, if possible. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited September 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Hmm… Looks like I misunderstood the poll. I voted for my own favorite.

As to which one I think might be favored by others, I would guess BGII EE. :)
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    "Technical Designer"
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Just have a feeling that the classic is the most revered by all. I don't play BGEE on my phone but I'll bet there are more than a few folks that do.

Also, judging by the amount of hours I spend on it, I'd say it's my favorite as well. (Followed closely by IWDEE...)
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Oh, I voted for my personal favorite. I think Siege is the best designed and best written of the series. Its fights are tactical with good variety of enemies, and the story builds upon and remains consitent with the central themes of the series beautifully.

As for what other people think is the best. I'd BG2, with BG1 and NWN slightly behind it.
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    A difficult question -- almost unanswerable. Won't stop anyone from trying, of course, including me.

I voted NWN:EE because although all the other choices are wonderful games which I've enjoyed many times, each of them is a fixed experience. However good a book or movie is, however well crafted and memorable, it remains a single experience. Granted, we all bring our own experiences of life at the time of playing, reading, viewing, and those experiences color and inform how we remember and feel about the story. For example, I remember fondly watching initial announcements regarding the original Baldur's Gate development, marveling at the images. So, the actual game isn't just the actual game, but an amalgamation of the game, me as a young man, my life at that time and since then, etc.

NWN, however, is different. It isn't simply a story. It has all the elements of personal experience mixed with the game, as noted above. However, it also has an unending, ever changing quality the others do not --cannot. Baldur's Gate is the same BG from years ago, improved and still fun, additional things welcome and enjoyable. NWN though . . . NWN has come down through the intervening years alongside me, with me. As I've learned and changed, NWN is able to keep pace. It has remained a current thing for me, and not a memory or nostalgia.

That all speaks to me, and I'm supposed to be considering why I think others might feel the same way. I think it is because NWN is not a game set in stone, but a set of fine chisels and mallets, rolled up in a soft leather case. People like to create, and to experience newness. Tolkien called it being a 'sub-creator'.
    So, anyway. We experience with the other games, but we experience and sub-create with NWN. Thus, it is the 'most favourite' because instead of looking at the Mona Lisa every day, we can wander the halls of an infinite museum of art.

Prosy enough for ya? LOL!

-JFK
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    SethDavis said:

I am sure @JuliusBorisov added this option to the pool specifically for you!
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    My guess would be Torment, seeing how everyone always harps on about how it's the best game ever.

Personally my fav Beamdog release is BG2:EE, though SoD isn't far behind. I feel SoD is slightly harder getting back into though, as I don't want to do it from scratch, it needs a full BG run. And the completionist in me makes BG take too long. If there was a ID2:EE, that would probably jump to the top of my list, or right below BG2:EE. The class/race combinations make a lot of really interesting character and party builds possible, and how the NPCs react to them is amazing.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277

My guess would be Torment, seeing how everyone always harps on about how it's the best game ever.

It never was.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Torment is the cult hit. Not a huge fanbase, but a dedicated one. Kinda like "Evil Dead' back in the day.
  • fluke13fluke13 Member Posts: 399
    edited September 2018
    Slightly confusing poll, but I chose Seige as a completely new questline and creation I think should always top enhancing existing material. Other people... I would think BGEE... It was a sign of hope for the return of old school RPGs and the IE style. Even when people prefer BG2EE, BGEE already gave you that promise.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited September 2018
    I think the voting will end up as bgee, which I would also pick. More people like bg2ee, but I expect that people will vote for the underdog.

I also like siege as gameplay but the story was not all that clear to me. It finalises exactly at the point where levels stop being interesting. I will replay it soon though and see why I missed things.
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    BG1 has about 3500 reviews, 85% positive on steam. BG2 has about 2500 reviews, 84% positive on steam. PS:T has a little under 1000 reviews, 94% positive on steam. NWN, Siege, and IWD aren't even close to these, and while the soundtracks are generally amazing, I doubt anyone would pick them over the games themselves. Okay, maybe my buddy Steve would pick the soundtracks, he went to college for music and is a music teacher. But thats all.

The obvious answer would be BG1, but I feel BG2 has always had a better modding scene, and is a more diverse game in terms of quests and enemies you fight that I can't imagine it NOT being more popular overall. BG1 has to be really close though.
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,356
    Tough one. I’d say BG2:ee because it has been with me for so long. Precious memories <3

SoD is such a great game too. But the lack of 1 or 2 manuals/tomes is a bit of a let down.... not a huge one, but still :D . Beamdog seems adamant on pleasing the conservative / purists players
  • thruddthrudd Member Posts: 96
    Icewind Dale EE is My Favorite, I love going up to The Frozen North to The Spine Of the World Mountains...
    When I am Not Adventuring in BG2...….