Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    There's something profoundly wrong about these perversely disproportionate reactions to murderers based on race and ideology, where one is condemned totally without thinking and one is defended instinctively from all manner of criticism and from all angles. One is worthy of entire changes to laws and the system but the other makes you morally suspect for even bringing it up. But like with most things in modern leftist thought, nonwhite racial supremacy is the overarching value system, so I guess it should come as no surprise that only whites with violent ideologies are treated the way they are. They are- quite literally- the only ones it is acceptable to judge and condemn as a group. This applies to so many more areas of life than this one. The inconsistency and lack of objective standards when crossing identity lines drives me insane, once you notice it, you can't stop.

So many of my posts nowadays have references to earlier conversations. I'm practically the politics board historian.
    There's no doubt that illegal immigrants are responsible for significantly less crime than the average US citizen

The sheer irony of this quote. Do you fail to see how this applies exactly to all these white shooters? White shooters are the minority of gun violence by a massive margin and the single most condemned, screamed about, sensationalized, and over-reacted to form of violence in the US today. Even if you want to focus solely on white nationalists, this is still true.

and going by this metric, there's a big elephant in the room that nobody seems to be talking about.
    or whatever other form of abuse is being used to stir up emotions and justify punitive action against them.

Again, the irony is just too thick. i still remember when i was having to argue for why I and others like me shouldn't be punched in the street when that was a popular thing due to all the nazi and white supremacist slanders of the past few years. nobody ever cares when it's a certain group of people being slandered though, as we see time and time again.

The difference here, to me, is that people who complain about illegal migrant crime are sincere, they really believe it's a problem. I don't think for one second people in the highest levels of media and politics can't tell the difference between a kid in a hat and a white nationalist. More like they won't.

@WarChiefZeke you mention in a later post how odd you find it that even basic assumptions can be so different. I feel the same :p - I don't see the same constant evidence that you do that white conservatives are an oppressed group (even in the media, let alone wider society). However, if your comment about defending murderers from other races and ideologies is aimed at me, I think that is misplaced. As I said in my previous post, I do think it's helpful to try and understand what motivates other people, but I don't think I've ever defended Islamic terrorism (or indeed any other form).

This conversation was prompted by mass shootings, which are currently running at more than 1 a day in the US. We've reviewed the evidence before that the US is not a particularly violent country by most measures, but it is out of step with comparable countries in relation to the numbers of mass killings - so taking action to address that (for instance by banning assault rifles) seems only reasonable to me and not part of some conspiracy against a particular demographic group.

As for this:
    "The sheer irony of this quote. Do you fail to see how this applies exactly to all these white shooters? White shooters are the minority of gun violence by a massive margin and the single most condemned, screamed about, sensationalized, and over-reacted to form of violence in the US today."
    I do indeed fail to see how that applies to the point I was making. My point was that many people (including of course Trump) accuse illegal immigrants as a group of being responsible for a disproportionately high number of crimes - while the evidence shows that they actually commit a disproportionately low number of crimes. You refer to that dichotomy as being paralleled by condemnation of white shooters, (though I'm not just condemning white shooters - I'm condemning all those responsible for mass shootings). However, by any reasonable standards those committing mass murder are criminals, so 100% of the group I'm condemning are criminals ...
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    BillyYank wrote: »
    Less than a minute. 36 casualties. Volume of fire indeed.

And THAT is why "good guy with a gun will save the day" is a load of bullshit. Well actually, there's at least a half dozen good reasons why, but that is first and foremost.

By the time "good guy" can react, upwards of a dozen people are dead or dying.

And please, spare me "But, but, if there weren't any good guys with guns there, he would have killed more."
    semiticgod wrote: »
    The Beamdog forums being left-leaning is a curious anomaly. I've speculated before that it's because of the Mizhena thing. The character alienated right-leaning folks much more often than lefties, and so the furthest-right forumites were a lot less likely to stick around. As the controversy developed, the people who felt most comfortable on the forum were the same people who didn't mind Mizhena.

I say that it's because it's because its main purview is true RPGs, and not an action RPG (Diablo series). RPGs require a bit of liberal thinking. How much creativity does it take to play a FPS?

Pretty sure DnD itself is rather liberal leaning.

I have no idea on what the 'Mizhena thing' is.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    joluv wrote: »
    No joke, this is the politically furthest right place I ever find myself in. I should probably work on that...

But there are very few right wing people here. An i an the unique right libertarian here. This is the most lefitiest place that i frequent. IRL i live in a city who near 4/5(78% of voting population) voted for Bolsonaro.

And the media lied a lot about him. Some people of left leaning tendencies even consider him as "worse than trump"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgyILyuSyLw
    Quickblade wrote: »
    And please, spare me "But, but, if there weren't any good guys with guns there, he would have killed more."

And this is a lie? Massacres generally occur when the police or an civilian shot the perpetrator.
    Massacres with guns happened on gun friendly countries
    Massacres with guns happened on gun restrictive countries
    Massacres with vehicles happened
    Massacres with fire happened
    <...>

Instead of blame the tool, why not ask why so many mass murderers are happening???
    semiticgod wrote: »
    <...> How much creativity does it take to play a FPS?

Pretty sure DnD itself is rather liberal leaning.

1 - Depends the FPS. ArmA 3 and Children's Online Daycare are completely different games, just like Baldur's Gate and Diablo 3 are completely different games

2 - D&D post 4e yes. But other RPG's aren't and most cRPG fans not.

3 - Mizhena is a trans character from SoD.

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited August 2019
    I don't know why it's so hard for people to wrap their head around the idea that mass shootings get more attention and media coverage. First off, they are hardly any different at this point than a bomb going off. That's how destructive these auto and semi-auto rifled rifles are.

The other is WHERE they are taking place. College classrooms, First-grade classrooms, movie theaters in the middle of a film, concerts, Wal-Marts, a frickin' garlic festival. Most murders are not random and indiscriminate. Most are either going to be a domestic dispute or drug-related. Mass shootings are acts where the perpetrator deliberately targets a place where people should reasonably be able to assume they are safe and kills dozens of people he doesn't know. They are in every way the exact equivalent of suicide bombings. I always said if Islamic terrorists really wanted to cause fear and chaos in this country, they wouldn't hit the World Trade Center, they would bomb a mall in Nebraska. And if they did, this country would have moved heaven and earth to stop it. Mass shootings are that bomb going off in the mall in Nebraska. And we do nothing. Put it this way, if two Muslim men with ties to ISIS had pulled the triggers this weekend, do you think the President would have hid in his resort for 48 hours and not addressed the public?? Not a goddamn chance in hell. Then again, he probably needed time to prepare flash-cards for himself so he would remember to fake empathy like he did in a meeting with Parkland survivors.
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited August 2019

And this is a lie? Massacres generally occur when the police or an civilian shot the perpetrator.
    Massacres with guns happened on gun friendly countries
    Massacres with guns happened on gun restrictive countries
    Massacres with vehicles happened
    Massacres with fire happened
    <...>

Instead of blame the tool, why not ask why so many mass murderers are happening???

You do have a good point of asking "why so many mass murderers are happening." It's not a simple answer because it's a complex problem. Every person is different, so no shooter is going to be the same. They might have the same TRIGGERS, but what caused them to start down their path will be different.

So prevention is hard. "Arm anyone and everyone" is not a solution. First, because the convenient availability of a gun means that it will become more quickly the "go-to". Part of 'Le Mort D'Arthur' is that a knight steps on a snake at a peace conference. Thinking nothing of it, he draws his sword. Everyone sees that, so everyone draws, and then a peace conference turns into an even worse return to hostilities.
    3 - Mizhena is a trans character from SoD.

Ah, that would be why, I never got SoD, I stick to BGEE/BG2EE, though TBH I don't think I've actually played or modded for them in almost a year. I will come around in time to them, as I always do.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    Apparently Trump is going to attempt to tie gun law legislation (some of which, like universal background checks, are VERY popular with the electorate) to immigration reform.

What a colossal ass. He is implicitly attempting to achieve the white nationalist shooter's goal of lowering the number of Latinos in the country as a response to one of the worst Latino targeted mass shootings in recorded US history.

Rather than pulling people together, he's going to try to divide us from immigrant communities on the issue of those communities being massacred.

I hope the House tells him to go to hell.

I try to avoid reacting so viscerally to the news, but this is outrageous.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited August 2019
    Apparently Trump is going to attempt to tie gun law legislation (some of which, like universal background checks, are VERY popular with the electorate) to immigration reform.

What a colossal ass. He is implicitly attempting to achieve the white nationalist shooter's goal of lowering the number of Latinos in the country as a response to one of the worst Latino targeted mass shootings in recorded US history.

Rather than pulling people together, he's going to try to divide us from immigrant communities on the issue of those communities being massacred.

This is what's so bad about the political climate right now. Why not do something about immigration at the same time? Even the Democratic Party admits it needs reform. But "Oh, no", can't throw the Republicans a bone because our 'base' might get pissed. Big deal. A good compromise will piss off both 'bases'. Whoopdie do. I guess both sides will just bend-over for their 'bases' and get nothing (like usual)...
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    No joke, this is the politically furthest right place I ever find myself in. I should probably work on that...

You think *this* forum leans to the *right*? Seriously? Have you been reading this thread, now into the 320s in page length? Most of the time this place sounds like the comment board from DailyKos or The Young Turks.

The El Paso shooter surrendered to police quickly and has been very cooperative and forthcoming in answering investigators' questions. I suspect he is looking forward to a public trial so he can try and get his message out via free media coverage.

I have seen renewed calls for "red flag" laws, which are designed to alert authorities when people meeting certain criteria are trying to purchase guns. The problem with those laws is this: what if someone calls in a red flag against *you*? Suddenly, you become guilty without any solid proof being provided. Yes, there are some of those red flags which could stop a future event; however, those red flags are typically going to be mental health-related (again, right now trying to flag someone for a mental health diagnosis violates HIPAA as it is currently written), a person who had a history of being bullied (which really boils down to being a mental health issue), and/or someone who has self-isolated in some dark corner of the Internet on a site which sits in the gray area between the clear and dark webs.

In neither of these cases, though, did the shooter have a criminal history which would have prevented him from buying the weapons they bought. If you haven't committed a violent crime then there is no legal reason to prevent you from buying a gun, even if you plan on using the gun in an overly-violent manner against innocent civilians.
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Balrog99 wrote: »

This is what's so bad about the political climate right now. Why not do something about immigration at the same time? Even the Democratic Party admits it needs reform. But "Oh, no", can't throw the Republicans a bone because our 'base' might get pissed. Big deal. A good compromise will piss off both 'bases'. Whoopdie do. I guess both sides will just bend-over for their 'bases' and get nothing (like usual)...

If this really turns out to be immigration reform it would be great. But history says it'll probably be a bunch of garbage that boils down to: "Let's pretend to look tough, while preserving our undocumented workforce."
    edited August 2019
    BillyYank wrote: »

If this really turns out to be immigration reform it would be great. But history says it'll probably be a bunch of garbage that boils down to: "Let's pretend to look tough, while preserving our undocumented workforce."

I'm kinda hoping you're wrong but I have a bad feeling its going to involve...................

Wait for it..............

A tremendously beautiful WALL!!!

Edit: For the record, I would view this as Trump & Republicans bending over for their base.

edited August 2019
    His tying it to immigration reform is basically him saying "give in to my demands, or I'll let my most deranged followers keep slaughtering you". It's his backdoor way of implying those who got shot were equally at fault. He also couldn't even get the correct Ohio city in his speech, saying Toledo instead of Dayton.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited August 2019
    There was a good guy with a gun, Glenn Oakley, in El Paso and it delayed police response. More people died because of a good guy with a gun than if there wasn't one because he hindered police response.

This hero guy ran towards the shots and pulled several children to safety. As he ran away from the scene armed carrying children he's lucky he wasn't killed by police because what are they supposed to think. The cops took his guns too, guess they didn't think a good guy with a gun would do anything but cause confusion.

He was even temporarily detained by police during the crisis because police saw an armed guy and assumed he was the shooter.

https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/glen-oakley-el-paso-walmart-shooting/
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
    There was a good guy with a gun, Glenn Oakley, in El Paso and it delayed police response. More people died because of a good guy with a gun than if there wasn't one because he hindered police response.

This hero guy ran towards the shots and pulled several children to safety. As he ran away from the scene armed carrying children he's lucky he wasn't killed by police because what are they supposed to think.

He was even temporarily detained by police during the crisis because police saw an armed guy and assumed he was the shooter.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-49234014/el-paso-walmart-shooting-men-recount-taking-children-to-safety

I'm sure the kids he saved are glad he was around (and their families). Not everybody waits around for somebody else to do something...
    edited August 2019

Why not do something about climate change at the same time? Even Republicans, who aren't lying, admit it's a problem. But no, can't throw the humans on Earth a bone because Republican 'donors' might get pissed.

But seriously, how about we address the problem at hand and not tie in a bunch of pork barrel bs crap that has no basis in reality and is not the pressing issue of the day.

Perhaps this Trump fella is wildly incompetent and over his head.

Why not do something about climate change at the same time? Even Republicans, who aren't lying, admit it's a problem. But no, can't throw the humans on Earth a bone because Republican 'donors' might get pissed.

But seriously, how about we address the problem at hand and not tie in a bunch of pork barrel bs crap that has no basis in reality and is not the pressing issue of the day.

Perhaps this Trump fella is wildly incompetent and over his head.

Maybe he just got done watching M.A.S.H. reruns and got confused by Corporal Klinger. His tweets over the weekend clearly mentioned Dayton so it was a gaffe. All presidents misspeak at times.

I'm more concerned about his knowledge of trade and tariffs than about whether or not every word he speaks is precise...
  • joluvjoluv Member Posts: 2,137

You think *this* forum leans to the *right*? Seriously?

No.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The demographics poll confirmed that a clear majority of responding forumites were liberal, and this thread's most common contributors are mostly liberal. Still, I've been to plenty of places that are further left or further right than this one. That doesn't make the forum centrist; we're just not far-left.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    edited August 2019

You think *this* forum leans to the *right*? Seriously? Have you been reading this thread, now into the 320s in page length? Most of the time this place sounds like the comment board from DailyKos or The Young Turks.

I'm glad you're here to accuse Us of sounding like outrightly biased sources that you clearly have no respect for.

Thanks.

Two thoughts:

A - it's not a compromise if conservatives give us something that 80+ percent of all Americans want in return for something only conservatives want. At the least, it's just a bad deal

B - if an extremist part of your base does something awful, you *dont* try to accomplish his goals by legislation. This would be roughly equivalent to a white man bombing a black church, and then your "compromise" restricts the number of black churches allowed.

I am all for immigration reform. I am against immigration reform that furthers a white nationalist agenda right after a white nationalist kills a bunch of Latinos.

I'm glad you're here to accuse Us of sounding like outrightly biased sources that you clearly have no respect for.

Thanks.

Two thoughts:

A - it's not a compromise if conservatives give us something that 80+ percent of all Americans want in return for something only conservatives want. At the least, it's just a bad deal

B - if an extremist part of your base does something awful, you *dont* try to accomplish his goals by legislation. This would be roughly equivalent to a white man bombing a black church, and then your "compromise" restricts the number of black churches allowed.

I am all for immigration reform. I am against immigration reform that furthers a white nationalist agenda right after a white nationalist kills a bunch of Latinos.

You don't even know what it is yet. If it's another b.s. wall demand I'll agree with you. Fair enough?
    As of last night, Cloudflare is now refusing to continue to provide their online security services to 8chan. In before these basement-dwelling jackasses nail themselves to a "free speech" cross and use this as a future excuse to encourage or commit future murders. As if any decent company is going to want to be associated with a website where 3 mass shooters in the last six months have posted manifestos. There will be people who legitimately think this is worse than the massacre.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037

I did not *accuse* of anyone of anything. I offered an opinion that the majority of voices here sound as if they share viewpoints similar to the ones one would find by visiting DailyKos and TYT. It merely struck me as odd that anyone could view this particular thread of leaning even slightly to the right.

Biden made certain to offer his thoughts and condolences to the victims in Houston and Michigan. Nice try, Joe.

Conflating two issues onto one piece of legislation happens all the time. That is not colorful or figurative language, either--every bill which passes Congress has riders and amendments which are not directly related to the main topic of the bill.
    Where was the President during and hours after this tragedy?

At his own golf club, profiting and charging tax payers, smiling and laughing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/trump-golf-wedding-el-paso-dayton-mass-shooting-death-toll-a9039401.html
    Where was the President during and hours after this tragedy?

At his own golf club, profiting and charging tax payers, smiling and laughing.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/trump-golf-wedding-el-paso-dayton-mass-shooting-death-toll-a9039401.html

As opposed to what exactly? Jump a plane to Dayton or El Paso and help investigate? Send in the 101'st Airborne? Shake hands with the local police?

I guess I just don't look at Presidents the same way as most people do. He's no idol of mine, nor do I let him affect the way I live my life, nor do his words affect me one way or the other. It's not just Trump, I really haven't had any 'reverance' for or allegiance to, any President. He's just another guy in power who doesn't know me from Adam and that's fine by me.

I did not *accuse* of anyone of anything. I offered an opinion that the majority of voices here sound as if they share viewpoints similar to the ones one would find by visiting DailyKos and TYT. It merely struck me as odd that anyone could view this particular thread of leaning even slightly to the right.
    I can clarify this issue: @joluv did not find this to be a right-leaning forum overall; he said it was further right than the other places he visited, in response to another forumite who found it to be further left than other places. The point was that "the most leftist/rightist forum I've ever seen" is highly dependent on the forums you've seen before.

An adult giraffe is 15-20 feet high. If you've only seen 10-foot giraffes, then a 15-foot giraffe would be the tallest you've ever seen, even if 15 feet is below average.
    Maybe the President should take things seriously instead of joking around lining his own pockets.
    edited August 2019
    I was wondering why I was hearing crickets about Connor Betts. I guess it just takes more time to come up with a theory of how Trump is to blame when the shooter can't be labeled an alt-right wacko...

https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/connor-betts/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dayton-shooter-warren/
  • BelleSorciereBelleSorciere Member Posts: 2,108
    I've been hearing about Connor Betts all day, dude.
    I've been hearing about Connor Betts all day, dude.

On what? CNN hasn't released crap. Only hit I got on web with real info was Heavy.com which I've never heard of. Oh, found link to Snopes.com to verify what CNN never even mentioned...
    I was wondering why I was hearing crickets about Connor Betts. I guess it just takes more time to come up with a theory of how Trump is to blame when the shooter can't be labeled an alt-right wacko...

https://heavy.com/news/2019/08/connor-betts/

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/dayton-shooter-warren/

Probably because of the lack of a 4-page manifesto that seems like it could be lifted word for word from an Elizabeth Warren rally. And of course the left must be "pro-Satan", when anyone who knows anything about Satanism knows that it's probably the ultimate libertarian philosophy. Satan isn't someone Satanists worship, they don't even acknowledge his existence. They worship themselves. It's Rand Paul mixed with a healthy love of Iron Maiden and black clothing.
    @Balrog99: Well, that killer's motives are completely unknown right now, so what exactly is there to cover right now, beyond the event itself? I think we're hearing crickets because the background information just flat-out doesn't exist yet.

In the case of the El Paso killer, the guy wrote a manifesto explaining the violence and his philosophy. The reason people are covering that story is because it actually exists.