Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited February 2020
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/04/politics/donald-trump-gallup-poll/index.html

I wonder what the 'defenders of the polls' on this forum think of this one? Fake news???

They overplayed their hand with so many failed attempts at a hit that half the country no longer cares what they say anymore.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    I am much more concerned about the college students who reacted "strongly and negatively" toward sound bytes they were told that Trump had used or was going to use in the State of the Union address, calling the quotes things like "racist" and "stupid"...

...until they were told that the quotes were *actually* from people running for the Democratic nomination in 2020. For many people, merely mentioning the name "Trump" turns off their ability to think either logiclly or critically, reducing them to reacting only emotionally.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I am much more concerned about the college students who reacted "strongly and negatively" toward sound bytes they were told that Trump had used or was going to use in the State of the Union address, calling the quotes things like "racist" and "stupid"...

...until they were told that the quotes were *actually* from people running for the Democratic nomination in 2020. For many people, merely mentioning the name "Trump" turns off their ability to think either logiclly or critically, reducing them to reacting only emotionally.

got a link for this? that sounds intriguing.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850

I wonder what the 'defenders of the polls' on this forum think of this one? Fake news???

I think a better question is why you folks will dismiss any poll you see outright right until the moment you see one that conincides with how you think things probably are, then all of a sudden they are accurate again. Impeachment polls?? Bullshit. Most other national job approval polls?? Bullshit. But when you see one like this, all of a sudden it's Moses coming down the mountain with stone tablets.
    I felt that way during the whole Russian collusion saga. The intelligence agencies were trustworthy, except when they weren't, and it all depended upon the outcome they were staying.

In short, everyone is more skeptical of what they don't believe and less skeptical of what they do. It's natural. Not good, you should always correct it when you catch yourself, but it's natural.

It's probably also the fact that we are just speculating, rather than trying to use a potentially faulty poll as real evidence.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    jjstraka34 wrote: »

I think a better question is why you folks will dismiss any poll you see outright right until the moment you see one that conincides with how you think things probably are, then all of a sudden they are accurate again. Impeachment polls?? Bullshit. Most other national job approval polls?? Bullshit. But when you see one like this, all of a sudden it's Moses coming down the mountain with stone tablets.

I never said I believed it. I think all polls are bullshit. I just wondered what you all would make of it...
    edited February 2020

I never said I believed it. I think all polls are bullshit. I just wondered what you all would make of it...

I don't think it's fake, I think it's probably noise. No matter what people may think of them, the aggregate done at 538 is a result of countless hours of professional statisticians weighing every metric imaginable to try and find a best guess result based on all available data. Right now, he's at 43%. Which is where he's been pretty much the entire time.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    It’s another data point. I believe it’s roughly accurate that with the population it polled at this time. The numbers will change and they’ll either get better or worse for Trump.

Polling is as good as it has ever been, and it’s been pretty accurate for a long time.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Polls show Trump with a high approval rating among Republicans. Must be fake right since Republicans supposedly value the Constitution and he clearly doesn't.

What a goon.

edited February 2020
    Polls show Trump with a high approval rating among Republicans. Must be fake right since Republicans supposedly value the Constitution and he clearly doesn't.

What a goon.

It's not about Trump, it's about ideologies. The sooner Democrats figure that out, the sooner they'll figure out how to beat him. My guess is that Sanders is the answer. Ideology vs ideology. Outsider vs outsider. Let the people decide...
    edited February 2020
    I literally can't believe that Gretchen Whitmer is giving the Democratic response to the SOTU. She's become quite unpopular here in Michigan already. When the first words out of your mouth after being elected is '$0.45/gallon gas tax', I have to wonder who is giving her advice. That is like political suicide in a state where almost everybody is laser-focused on gas prices. If she wins another term as governor in Michigan I'll be shocked...
    edited February 2020
    I literally can't believe that Gretchen Whitmer is giving the Democratic response to the SOTU. She's become quite unpopular here in Michigan already. When the first words out of your mouth after being elected is '$0.45/gallon gas tax', I have to wonder who is giving her advice. That is like political suicide in a state where almost everybody is laser-focused on gas prices. If she wins another term as governor in Michigan I'll be shocked...

I would be shocked if this wasn't the least watched State of the Union in history.
    edited February 2020

I would be shocked if this wasn't the least watched State of the Union in history.

I can't agree. Trump has a fanatical following that will probably be glued to every word. Seriously...

I've never watched one and I won't start now. It's a bunch of rah rah platitudes and emotional b.s. to make people feel good. Whoop de fucking do. I'm sick of emotional manipulation. It's high time to start demanding results from these pricks!

Edit: It might well be the least watched rebuttal though...
    I'm going to say this with all honesty. If Bernie grabs the DNC by the balls like Trump did to the RNC you can cash in my vote for him right now...
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited February 2020

What a goon.

It's not about Trump, it's about ideologies. The sooner Democrats figure that out, the sooner they'll figure out how to beat him. My guess is that Sanders is the answer. Ideology vs ideology. Outsider vs outsider. Let the people decide...

I respectfully disagree that it's about ideologies.

Trumpism is not an ideology, it's a cult of personality. What's the core ideology of Trumpism? What's the only requirement to be a Trump supporter. One question: ARE YOU LOYAL TO DONALD TRUMP?
    That's it. There's nothing else. It's us vs them. Loyalists to Trump vs. everyone else.

This is the definition of a cult.

You can't explain to people in a cult that hey he doesn't have an ideology he's just saying whatever to make himself look good or someone else look bad and "win" the next 10 seconds. It really doesn't matter that it's the opposite of what he said yesterday, an hour ago, or in the last sentence. Remember that there used to be problems with lying? Not anymore. It doesn't matter because trumpists have bought in to the cult of personality. They will not recognize that he's wrong because they don't want to have to look at themselves and wonder if they're wrong. No one wants to be wrong, you're wrong for pointing out that he's lying! I'm a fan, I can't be wrong, you're wrong for telling me he's wrong! (eg fake news).

This is a cult.

Look, his followers follow him because he's a celebrity to them. He's their cult leader. It's okay if he lies because he's on my side, they have convinced themselves of that.

How do you counter that? Maybe with your own cult that is better for the country. Certainly not middle of the road crap.

Republicans in office are all cowed by this cult leader. All the ones who have any objection or principles are retiring or otherwise leaving. What's left? People with the correct answer to the Trump question: ARE YOU LOYAL TO DONALD TRUMP?

Dangerous times folks.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.haaretz.com/amp/us-news/bernie-sanders-emphasizes-jewish-roots-in-new-campaign-video-1.8444969

Another reason I like Bernie. He's owning the fact that he's a Jew. Don't discount that he may be able to persuade some Christian fundamentalist Jewphile votes his way. Trump is trying to play to Christian fundamentalists and white-supremacist anti-Semites. Those folks aren't intrinsically aligned.
    edited February 2020

What a goon.

Trumpism is not an ideology, it's a cult of personality. What's the core ideology of Trumpism? What's the only requirement to be a Trump supporter. One question: ARE YOU LOYAL TO DONALD TRUMP?
    That's it. There's nothing else. It's us vs them. Loyalists to Trump vs. everyone else.

You can't explain to people in a cult that hey he doesn't have an ideology he's just saying whatever to make himself look good or someone else look bad and "win" the next 10 seconds. It really doesn't matter that it's the opposite of what he said yesterday, an hour ago, or in the last sentence. Remember that there used to be problems with lying? Not anymore. It doesn't matter because trumpists have bought in to the cult of personality. They will not recognize that he's wrong because they don't want to have to look at themselves and wonder if they're wrong. No one wants to be wrong, you're wrong for pointing out that he's lying! I'm a fan, I can't be wrong, you're wrong for telling me he's wrong! (eg fake news).

This is a cult.

Look, his followers follow him because he's a celebrity to them. He's their cult leader. It's okay if he lies because he's on my side, they have convinced themselves of that.

How do you counter that? Maybe with your own cult that is better for the country. Certainly not middle of the road crap.

Republicans in office are all cowed by this cult leader. All the ones who have any objection or principles are retiring or otherwise leaving. What's left? People with the correct answer to the Trump question: ARE YOU LOYAL TO DONALD TRUMP?

Dangerous times folks.

Agreed to a point. A lot of Trump's base will ditch him in a second if he ever deviates. That puts him in a precarious situation. Sway the moderates and he's toast...

Edit: That is not at all saying that a 'moderate' Democrat is the way to go. I believe the time is now for the opposite. That's why I'm supporting Sanders. He's been absolutely consistent in his message for decades and I really think that will play in his favor. The 'Trump Factor' was that he wasn't part of the 'Establishment'. That's mostly why I voted for him (along with I couldn't stand Hillary). Bernie has the same attraction.
    Post edited by Balrog99 on

What a goon.

This is a cult.

Dangerous times folks.

Agreed to a point. A lot of Trump's base will ditch him in a second if he ever deviates. That puts him in a precarious situation. Sway the moderates and he's toast...

I'm fairly certain that the guy who just gave Rush Limbaugh the Medal of Freedom in middle of the State of the Union Address isn't ever going to make a pivot towards "moderates". And no, that isn't me making a joke. That actually took place.

What a goon.

This is a cult.

Dangerous times folks.

I'm fairly certain that the guy who just gave Rush Limbaugh the Medal of Freedom in middle of the State of the Union Address isn't ever going to make a pivot towards "moderates". And no, that isn't me making a joke. That actually took place.

I know, I saw that. I listen to Rush on my lunchtimes once in a while. He's a good source for news that doesn't make CNN. Say what you want, but the major media is pretty solid left-leaning (even if it's not Communist like he implies). I lost all respect for him once he became a total Trump sycophant, however. Trump is a fake conservative power-grabber that saw an opportunity and took it. Rush just likes to golf with him and rake in the money...
    Trump had a lot to appeal to moderates during 2016. He was consistently anti war, taking an anti TPP stance was a solid move, and used to pick public fights with buisnesses for outsourcing. Looking back, that was all brilliant, and if you weren't blinded by anti Trump hate, there was a lot that was defendable on policy. Then he switched to stock Republican talking points some time in 2017, and I'm no longer interested.
    edited February 2020
    Trump had a lot to appeal to moderates during 2016. He was consistently anti war, taking an anti TPP stance was a solid move, and used to pick public fights with buisnesses for outsourcing. Looking back, that was all brilliant, and if you weren't blinded by anti Trump hate, there was a lot that was defendable on policy. Then he switched to stock Republican talking points some time in 2017, and I'm no longer interested.

Curious, does Bernie appeal to you too? Just wondering if I'm alone in this regard as a moderate conservative. If so, can you explain the attraction? I half believe it's the scientist in me that just wants some data from the other side of the spectrum...
    edited February 2020

Curious, does Bernie appeal to you too? Just wondering if I'm alone in this regard as a moderate conservative. If so, can you explain the attraction? I half believe it's the scientist in me that just wants some data from the other side of the spectrum...

Yeah, Yang and Bernie are the two Democrats I support. More than anything I hate the current system, and Bernie represents a threat to the established order as much as (I thought) Trump was. I'm sympathetic to left wing arguments on welfare, bank regulations, and health care, so I'm okay with his policies. Immigration, and caring about small town, forgotten people, are both things Bernie seems to be more in line with me on than with the current mainstream left, so he even represents an improvement in that regard. My main criticism is that he is sometimes weak willed, ceding to pressure easily.

And you can't deny the energy of his supporters. That counts for something. I think it's healthy to have so many people care about politics, and many start through supporting him.

Yeah, Yang and Bernie are the two Democrats I support. More than anything I hate the current system, and Bernie represents a threat to the established order as much as (I thought) Trump was. I'm sympathetic to left wing arguments on welfare, bank regulations, and health care, so I'm okay with his policies. Immigration, and caring about small town, forgotten people, are both things Bernie seems to be more in line with me on than with the current mainstream left, so he even represents an improvement in that regard. My main criticism is that he is sometimes weak willed, ceding to pressure easily.

And you can't deny the energy of his supporters. That counts for something. I think it's healthy to have so many people care about politics, and many start through supporting him.

I'm not alone then. My only doubt is that he might ditch our military superiority globally. I really think if we concede that to China it could be a catastrophe. Just a gloom and doom premonition. We'd probably survive 4 or 8 years though, so it's not a major stop sign to me.
    @Mathsorcerer

What are your feelings about Bernie Sanders? Our thought processes are remarkably similar so I'm curious as to your thoughts...
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659

Most recent poll of her I can find is fairly positive. +7%. Looks like there were some polls in 2019 that were fairly negative, but I guess she's rebounding. The article also suggests that her numbers have dipped, so I suppose that suggests she was above +7 in the previous polls.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2020/01/13/michigan-gov-gretchen-whitmer-approval-rating-dips-but-still-positive/4454073002/

Maybe not as unpopular as you think? Or maybe she's turned it around a little, anyways.
    edited February 2020

Most recent poll of her I can find is fairly positive. +7%. Looks like there were some polls in 2019 that were fairly negative, but I guess she's rebounding. The article also suggests that her numbers have dipped, so I suppose that suggests she was above +7 in the previous polls.

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/politics/2020/01/13/michigan-gov-gretchen-whitmer-approval-rating-dips-but-still-positive/4454073002/

Maybe not as unpopular as you think? Or maybe she's turned it around a little, anyways.

Well, she hasn't done anything yet so it could be easy for her to turn it around if she picks the right fights. The state government is Republican though so she'll have to show more diplomacy than she's displayed so far. The jury's still out for all intents and purposes. I don't actively dislike her at the moment if that's any indication of her reelectabiliy...
    I grew up learning strategy games. Checkers, chess, Stratego, Battleship, and Risk. From there I went to Avon Hill war games (3rd Reich, War and Peace, Guns of August, Squad Leader, etc...). Then discovered computer war games (SSI games mostly). In college I mastered cards (euchre, pinochle, gin rummy, hearts, cribbage and poker) then moved on to Heroes of Might & Magic games and the V for Victory games. I may not know a whole lot about RL politics, but I know about strategy. This is where the Democrats are sorely lacking, strategy and knowing how to play their opponents. You'd better learn fast...
    I grew up learning strategy games. Checkers, chess, Stratego, Battleship, and Risk. From there I went to Avon Hill war games (3rd Reich, War and Peace, Guns of August, Squad Leader, etc...). Then discovered computer war games (SSI games mostly). In college I mastered cards (euchre, pinochle, gin rummy, hearts, cribbage and poker) then moved on to Heroes of Might & Magic games and the V for Victory games. I may not know a whole lot about RL politics, but I know about strategy. This is where the Democrats are sorely lacking, strategy and knowing how to play their opponents. You'd better learn fast...

I have recently gotten addicted to Heroes of Might and Magic (3), but I'm terrible at it. Strategy isn't my thing.

It took me 20+ tries to beat Roland's final campaign in 2

I have recently gotten addicted to Heroes of Might and Magic (3), but I'm terrible at it. Strategy isn't my thing.

It took me 20+ tries to beat Roland's final campaign in 2

Slow and steady wins the race. Pick your abilities wisely (Earth, and Air magic, Offense, Defense, Leadership, Wisdom, Intelligence, & Logistics) and you'll be golden!