Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited February 2020
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    I grew up learning strategy games. Checkers, chess, Stratego, Battleship, and Risk. From there I went to Avon Hill war games (3rd Reich, War and Peace, Guns of August, Squad Leader, etc...). Then discovered computer war games (SSI games mostly). In college I mastered cards (euchre, pinochle, gin rummy, hearts, cribbage and poker) then moved on to Heroes of Might & Magic games and the V for Victory games. I may not know a whole lot about RL politics, but I know about strategy. This is where the Democrats are sorely lacking, strategy and knowing how to play their opponents. You'd better learn fast...

I have recently gotten addicted to Heroes of Might and Magic (3), but I'm terrible at it. Strategy isn't my thing.

It took me 20+ tries to beat Roland's final campaign in 2

Slow and steady wins the race. Pick your abilities wisely (Earth, and Air magic, Offense, Defense, Leadership, Wisdom, Intelligence, & Logistics) and you'll be golden!

This is how you win 3 and in most of the games, but in 2 the only path to victory is Black Dragons. So laughably OP, even against other top tier units. Once I learned that I beat Rolands Campaign. Just went straight for the dragon town and ignored the rest.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I grew up learning strategy games. Checkers, chess, Stratego, Battleship, and Risk. From there I went to Avon Hill war games (3rd Reich, War and Peace, Guns of August, Squad Leader, etc...). Then discovered computer war games (SSI games mostly). In college I mastered cards (euchre, pinochle, gin rummy, hearts, cribbage and poker) then moved on to Heroes of Might & Magic games and the V for Victory games. I may not know a whole lot about RL politics, but I know about strategy. This is where the Democrats are sorely lacking, strategy and knowing how to play their opponents. You'd better learn fast...

I have recently gotten addicted to Heroes of Might and Magic (3), but I'm terrible at it. Strategy isn't my thing.

Slow and steady wins the race. Pick your abilities wisely (Earth, and Air magic, Offense, Defense, Leadership, Wisdom, Intelligence, & Logistics) and you'll be golden!

This is how you win 3 and in most of the games, but in 2 the only path to victory is Black Dragons. So laughably OP, even against other top tier units. Once I learned that I beat Rolands Campaign.

Hint, hint... There's an ability in HOMM2 that gives you ghosts when you win battles. That's a total game winner once you get it.

This is how you win 3 and in most of the games, but in 2 the only path to victory is Black Dragons. So laughably OP, even against other top tier units. Once I learned that I beat Rolands Campaign.

Hint, hint... There's an ability in HOMM2 that gives you ghosts when you win battles. That's a total game winner once you get it.

Didn't know that, actually.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659

Are you still into strategy games? I'm an avid fan of Paradox Interactive, and their grand strategy games. It sounds to me like you might enjoy Hearts of Iron 4 (The latest ww2 game they've made). Consider looking up a few let's plays and see what you think.

It's not an ability per se. You need to get ghosts to join you with Diplomacy. Once you have a group of ghosts they multiply when you kill enemy groups with them.

Are you still into strategy games? I'm an avid fan of Paradox Interactive, and their grand strategy games. It sounds to me like you might enjoy Hearts of Iron 4 (The latest ww2 game they've made). Consider looking up a few let's plays and see what you think.

I haven't played any military strategy games since the V4V and SSI games died out. I do enjoy HOMM 5 still but the later HOMM games didn't impress me. Maybe I'll try HOI on your recommendation. Is it available from GoG?
    edited February 2020

I was introduced to Settlers of Cataan by a friend of mine and enjoy playing that (my family got addicted to it actually). Board games still have a place in my heart!
    edited February 2020
    Dungeon Keeper is my favorite strategy game, although it's real time. It's like a classic DnD dungeon crawl from the opposite perspective. It's hard to play multi but sometimes I can still get a game going, and it even still has modders despite being as old as BG. Going into first person mode and fighting as one of your creatures is still one of the best features in a real time strategy.

I recently tried to get into Crusader Kings 2,but haven't quite grasped it. Only tried it once so far though.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    edited February 2020

I haven't played any military strategy games since the V4V and SSI games died out. I do enjoy HOMM 5 still but the later HOMM games didn't impress me. Maybe I'll try HOI on your recommendation. Is it available from GoG?

I dont know. Dont really use GoG. Sorry!

While I do dearly love the hearts of iron franchise, it's not necessarily for everyone. Paradox Games are notoriously steep in their learning curves, and so I'd hate to make a recommendation if it ends up not being your cup of tea. Its' very much a "map painer", you dont command battles on the field (Like you would in the Total War games). It's more like controlling your nation's technology and military infrastructure to build tanks and recruit infantry and making strategy choices of what province to send them.

Edit - Sorry. Not trying to *not* sell you on it. Just reinforcing the idea that watching a video or two first might be useful. Not that I have any to recommend, sadly. I watch plenty of streamers, but my favorites tend to be FPS and RTS gamers, not grand strategy.

They also go on sale quite frequently, May be worth waiting for a sale : )

I dont know. Dont really use GoG. Sorry!

While I do dearly love the hearts of iron franchise, it's not necessarily for everyone. Paradox Games are notoriously steep in their learning curves, and so I'd hate to make a recommendation if it ends up not being your cup of tea. Its' very much a "map painer", you dont command battles on the field (Like you would in the Total War games). It's more like controlling your nation's technology and military infrastructure to build tanks and recruit infantry and making strategy choices of what province to send them.

They also go on sale quite frequently, May be worth waiting for a sale : )

Total war strategy is something I'd definitely be interested in. I didn't mention Axis and Allies but I own almost all of those board games (just don't have anybody to play them against anymore).
    Impossible Creatures deserves a mention too, just for the novelty and fun factor of crafting an army by combining two creatures together and customizing them.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,335

This is how you win 3 and in most of the games, but in 2 the only path to victory is Black Dragons. So laughably OP, even against other top tier units. Once I learned that I beat Rolands Campaign. Just went straight for the dragon town and ignored the rest.

Black dragons are nice, but I would normally prefer titans - you can resurrect those if necessary.

It's not an ability per se. You need to get ghosts to join you with Diplomacy. Once you have a group of ghosts they multiply when you kill enemy groups with them.

You might also be able to recruit them from Barrow Mounds.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited February 2020
    I guess this is why Mayor Pete confidently declared victory before any caucus results were announced.

Cheating during Iowa caucus coin flip.

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    And here’s the sad thing. This one coin toss will throw the presidential election if Pete wins the nomination.

Trump just has to point to how rigged the primaries are and people will gobble it up once again just like the whole debate question fiasco.

It’s like the democrats are taking a can’t lose scenario and saying “oh ya, watch me.”
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    edited February 2020
    [Say what you want, but the major media is pretty solid left-leaning (even if it's not Communist like he implies).

It really, really isn't. And to non-Americans, this is so obviously true that the fact right-wing Americans hold it as an article of faith is perplexing. The New York Times, bastion of the liberal establishment, called torture "enhanced interrogation" at the behest of the Bush administration, and helped cheerlead the US into Iraq. The treatment of Julian Assange and Edward Snowden by the supposedly liberal US media (as opposed to even, say, the Guardian) is also quite notable.

The major media in the US is pretty solidly in the Cult of Savvy, and much of it bends over backwards to avoid being accused of violating a neutral POV. It is left-wing on some points (mostly social issues, relating to journalists and editors being urban middle class, a trait shared by many otherwise Republican CEOs), but very much not so on others (economics and foreign policy to name two). This would likely be more obvious to you if there was any actual left-wing media in mainstream US discourse.
    deltago wrote: »
    And here’s the sad thing. This one coin toss will throw the presidential election if Pete wins the nomination.

Trump just has to point to how rigged the primaries are and people will gobble it up once again just like the whole debate question fiasco.

It’s like the democrats are taking a can’t lose scenario and saying “oh ya, watch me.”

I doubt you could find two dozen Democrats in the country who would change their vote because Trump claims Iowa's caucus was rigged, even if he was correct.

Partisanship is such that both sides bases are essentially locked in, and Democratic voters hatred of Trump is such that the nominee could be literally anyone and they would still be motivated to vote. Turnout will matter, but this penny-ante crap will be utterly forgotten about long before November. It'll be surprising if anything about Iowa's caucus is still news by Super Tuesday.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Ayiekie wrote: »

I doubt you could find two dozen Democrats in the country who would change their vote because Trump claims Iowa's caucus was rigged, even if he was correct.

Partisanship is such that both sides bases are essentially locked in, and Democratic voters hatred of Trump is such that the nominee could be literally anyone and they would still be motivated to vote. Turnout will matter, but this penny-ante crap will be utterly forgotten about long before November. It'll be surprising if anything about Iowa's caucus is still news by Super Tuesday.

It’s not the Democrats you need to be worried about, it’s the swing independent voters that voted for Trump the last time to be weary about.

If Pete’s the nominee (I doubt he will be), then I will bet you this coin flip will be airing in November.

It’s not the Democrats you need to be worried about, it’s the swing independent voters that voted for Trump the last time to be weary about.

If Pete’s the nominee (I doubt he will be), then I will bet you this coin flip will be airing in November.

Last time, Trump was an unknown quality (as a politician) going up against a uniquely disliked/vilified figure, and he still lost the popular vote by millions.

If Mayor Pete is the nominee and this is the best thing Trump has to attack him with in November, he's already lost.
    [Say what you want, but the major media is pretty solid left-leaning (even if it's not Communist like he implies).

It really, really isn't. And to non-Americans, this is so obviously true that the fact right-wing Americans hold it as an article of faith is perplexing. The New York Times, bastion of the liberal establishment, called torture "enhanced interrogation" at the behest of the Bush administration, and helped cheerlead the US into Iraq. The treatment of Julian Assange and Edward Snowden by the supposedly liberal US media (as opposed to even, say, the Guardian) is also quite notable.

The major media in the US is pretty solidly in the Cult of Savvy, and much of it bends over backwards to avoid being accused of violating a neutral POV. It is left-wing on some points (mostly social issues, relating to journalists and editors being urban middle class, a trait shared by many otherwise Republican CEOs), but very much not so on others (economics and foreign policy to name two). This would likely be more obvious to you if there was any actual left-wing media in mainstream US discourse.

I agree with your overall analysis of the media, just not that they aren't liberal, so it's probably a matter of definitions. As you say, there is no left wing media in mainstream discourse, so our idea of what constitutes that is probably very different.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    edited February 2020
    I am much more concerned about the college students who reacted "strongly and negatively" toward sound bytes they were told that Trump had used or was going to use in the State of the Union address, calling the quotes things like "racist" and "stupid"...

...until they were told that the quotes were *actually* from people running for the Democratic nomination in 2020. For many people, merely mentioning the name "Trump" turns off their ability to think either logiclly or critically, reducing them to reacting only emotionally.

got a link for this? that sounds intriguing.

I did...and the the State of the Union speech happened and now I have lost that story in all the noise. Every few months, though, someone will venture onto a college campus and present random students with quotes to get their reactions. If they pre-load the quote with "a Republican said this" or "Trump said this" then the student will react negatively, which makes their later reaction hilarious when they are told that the quote actually came from a Democrat. The next time they do this they need to pre-load the question with "a Democrat said this" then give a Trump quote, looking for positive reactions. Finally, they need to give quotes without any pre-loading to get a truly honest reaction. These students were taught not to question their teachers in public school, so now that they are in college they are still just sitting there being little sponges, absorbing whatever political ideas are being passed to them by their professors. One of my political science professors actually was an ex-hippie; even though we disagreed on certain issues I still managed to make an A in his class partly *because* I would disagree with him and challenge his positions. He wanted us to think for ourselves, and I am convinced that that mindset has already been lost on most campuses.
    @Mathsorcerer

What are your feelings about Bernie Sanders? Our thought processes are remarkably similar so I'm curious as to your thoughts...

I give Sanders full credit for having guts and tenacity--he spent much of his career as an Independent, decided to go Democrat, got stabbed in the back, yet here he is back for more. I think his economic ideals are completely misguided--Socialism only works at the outset before going downhill quicky (it took only 10 years for Chavez to destroy Venezuela) and in Socialist systems the *leaders* become quite wealthy while the citizens become quite poor (look back to the CCCP, where leaders would be driven in luxury cars past lines of people waiting for toilet paper)--and I cannot figure out why he is so adored by college-age people, unless they are simply enthralled by the idea of "free stuff". AOC supports him--or says she does, given that at an event to support him she spoke but never once mentioned his name--but the problem with younger "Democratic Socialists" is that they will turn on and devour anyone who deviates from ideological purity. Ultimately, the problem with Sanders is the same problem most every politician has--he does not live by the ideals he claims to venerate. He does not voluntarily pay more in taxes so as to reduce his income back down to "middle class"--of course, it wouldn't matter if he did, because overpayments would be refunded back to him by law--and he loves capitalism enough to make money selling books instead of giving them away for free.

Bottom line, I actually feel a little sorry for Bernie--he will campaign hard and perform well, only to have the DNC refuse to allow him to be the nominee for reasons which will defy logic. At that point, his die-hard supporters will go home and sit out the November election--they would rather abstain that vote for someone who is not their candidate...which is part of the reason Trump won last time. This is also part of what motivates Sanders--guilt over the idea that he could be responsible for Trump being in the White House.

Meanwhile....I see that the petulant, spoiled, whiny brats were out without adult supervision last night. Does she honestly think that tearing up a copy of a speech invalidates the speech itself? You cannot tear up reality, Nancy. Incidentally, Nancy, when Trump is acquitted (we all know he will be) he will be acquitted *forever* (since historical facts are, by definition, "forever"). Sadly for her, that 5-second video clip will now be her entire legacy--30 years from now when news stories feature the former Speaker they will play that clip and that is how people will remember her.

edit/add: Ah so--*now* Nadler wants to subpoena John Bolton. One presumes that they will make sure to have a court enforce the subpoena, should Bolton prove stubborn (which I do not believe was the case--he was looking forward to testifying, if I recall). It won't matter, of course, but at least Nadler is committed to the path he has chosen.
    Post edited by Mathsorcerer on
    edited February 2020
    Dungeon Keeper is my favorite strategy game, although it's real time. It's like a classic DnD dungeon crawl from the opposite perspective. It's hard to play multi but sometimes I can still get a game going, and it even still has modders despite being as old as BG. Going into first person mode and fighting as one of your creatures is still one of the best features in a real time strategy.

I recently tried to get into Crusader Kings 2,but haven't quite grasped it. Only tried it once so far though.

Hah, I just found the Dungeon Keeper reference in Heroes of Might and Magic 3. A map by the same name with the plot summary thrown in.

Okay, back to the regularly scheduled politics.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    On Pelosi......let's see here: he refused to shake her hand, he spent part of his speech saying he is the one protecting pre-existing conditions coverage when his Administration is literally in court trying to get the law invalidated, and he gave the Medal of Freedom to a guy whose job has been to dehumanize liberals for 3 hours a day for 30 years. But yeah, sure......the speech-ripping is the real breach of decorum. And spare me this bullshit about manners and behavior with Trump in office. It's absolutely farcical. She ripped up the speech because she knew it would grab the headlines and attention, which Trump craves more than anything. It was planned. The fake-ass pearl-clutching on the right is as predictble as the sun rising in the East. You wanted this environment where nothing is sacred and anything goes. That is precisely what Trump is about. Right up until the point a Democrat goes down to his level. Then it's a problem again. Fuck these ridiculous double-standards.
    edited February 2020
    @Mathsorcerer

What are your feelings about Bernie Sanders? Our thought processes are remarkably similar so I'm curious as to your thoughts...

I give Sanders full credit for having guts and tenacity--he spent much of his career as an Independent, decided to go Democrat, got stabbed in the back, yet here he is back for more. I think his economic ideals are completely misguided--Socialism only works at the outset before going downhill quicky (it took only 10 years for Chavez to destroy Venezuela) and in Socialist systems the *leaders* become quite wealthy while the citizens become quite poor (look back to the CCCP, where leaders would be driven in luxury cars past lines of people waiting for toilet paper)--and I cannot figure out why he is so adored by college-age people, unless they are simply enthralled by the idea of "free stuff". AOC supports him--or says she does, given that at an event to support him she spoke but never once mentioned his name--but the problem with younger "Democratic Socialists" is that they will turn on and devour anyone who deviates from ideological purity. Ultimately, the problem with Sanders is the same problem most every politician has--he does not live by the ideals he claims to venerate. He does not voluntarily pay more in taxes so as to reduce his income back down to "middle class"--of course, it wouldn't matter if he did, because overpayments would be refunded back to him by law--and he loves capitalism enough to make money selling books instead of giving them away for free.

Bottom line, I actually feel a little sorry for Bernie--he will campaign hard and perform well, only to have the DNC refuse to allow him to be the nominee for reasons which will defy logic. At that point, his die-hard supporters will go home and sit out the November election--they would rather abstain that vote for someone who is not their candidate...which is part of the reason Trump won last time. This is also part of what motivates Sanders--guilt over the idea that he could be responsible for Trump being in the White House.

One good reason to feel sorry for Bernie is the way in which his policies are misrepresented. He is not a socialist in the traditional academic sense of wanting to see public ownership of the means of production - he is a supporter of capitalism and believes in the profit motive.
    edited February 2020
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    this environment where nothing is sacred and anything goes

At least now people are being truthful about their feelings and their politics. Don't you get tired of everyone wearing a thin veneer of civility when they all know it is fake? When Rush publicly revealed that he had cancer Twitter exploded with gleeful wishes for his death. Incidentally, someone I knew in high school--she was the grade behind me and was also in Academic Decathlon--just died from cancer last weekend. In and of itself that is neither here nor there but I cannot imagine actually wishing for someone to die even if I did not like them.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Mathsorcerer "At least now people are being truthful about their feelings and their politics. Don't you get tired of everyone wearing a thin veneer of civility when they all know it is fake?"

No, because that meant racists were actively afraid to act out. A lot more has happened than people being jerks. Hate crimes have rising since Trump took office, and its because racism is accepted now.

I saw a bumper sticker recently that said "Make racists afraid again," and I really couldn't agree more. Can you imagine if liberals and minorities started open carrying like they were texas conservatives? I'd bet a million dollars that as soon as that started heppening, the republican party would do a complete 180 on gun control.
    edited February 2020
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @Mathsorcerer "At least now people are being truthful about their feelings and their politics. Don't you get tired of everyone wearing a thin veneer of civility when they all know it is fake?"

No, because that meant racists were actively afraid to act out. A lot more has happened than people being jerks. Hate crimes have rising since Trump took office, and its because racism is accepted now.

I saw a bumper sticker recently that said "Make racists afraid again," and I really couldn't agree more. Can you imagine if liberals and minorities started open carrying like they were texas conservatives? I'd bet a million dollars that as soon as that started heppening, the republican party would do a complete 180 on gun control.

They already did so in the 1960s in California when the Black Panthers started open carrying. Reagan IMMEDIATELY called for tougher laws. Everyone and their mother knows that, from a technical perspective, a black man can open carry. The moment they are seen doing so, the cops will be called, and they'll be lucky to leave the situation still breathing:

https://www.history.com/news/black-panthers-gun-control-nra-support-mulford-act

Countdown to the "social mores of the time were different" excuse in 5, 4, 3 , 2, 1..........
    edited February 2020
    Can you imagine if liberals and minorities started open carrying like they were texas conservatives?

I would applaud them for exercising their Second Amendment rights and give them a "thumbs up" for recognizing that conservatives were right about the gun issue all along. That recent church shooting in Texas....the *first* church he visited that morning had an armed security team, so he left and found a church which did not appear to have an armed security team--he did not think that people would be carrying concealed in church. There were a couple of black guys open carrying their pistols in downtown Fort Worth last weekend--no one cared because it is perfectly legal, as it should be.

As far as racists are concerned....can you tell who the racists are by looking at them? No, of course you can't. You can't tell if someone is racist until they open their mouth and *this* is why we must protect *all* Free Speech, even speech with which we disagree. Once they identify themselves we may freely adjust our actions let them know that they are not welcome.

The vote to acquit will be today at 4pm EST. You know, if Democrats had pushed for censure via the Senate as opposed to impeachment they could probably have gotten the votes for that, given that censure takes only a majority rather than a supermajority. Oh, well....better luck next time.

Hold on a minute here......how are these coin flips evidence of some grand conspiracy?? It also isn't "rigged". This is a bunch of yokels in a community center clinging to a stupid parochial process. I talked at length about this yesterday. Caucuses are absurd. They're a step below "show of hands who wants to order pepporoni?? Ok, who wants sausage?? The sausages have it."
    edited February 2020
    Can you imagine if liberals and minorities started open carrying like they were texas conservatives?

I would applaud them for exercising their Second Amendment rights and give them a "thumbs up" for recognizing that conservatives were right about the gun issue all along. That recent church shooting in Texas....the *first* church he visited that morning had an armed security team, so he left and found a church which did not appear to have an armed security team--he did not think that people would be carrying concealed in church. There were a couple of black guys open carrying their pistols in downtown Fort Worth last weekend--no one cared because it is perfectly legal, as it should be.

As far as racists are concerned....can you tell who the racists are by looking at them? No, of course you can't. You can't tell if someone is racist until they open their mouth and *this* is why we must protect *all* Free Speech, even speech with which we disagree.

The vote to acquit will be today at 4pm EST. You know, if Democrats had pushed for censure via the Senate as opposed to impeachment they could probably have gotten the votes for that, given that censure takes only a majority rather than a supermajority. Oh, well....better luck next time.

There is literally nothing more meaningless than a presidential censure. It's not even the functional equivalent of "go sit in the corner for 5 minutes".