Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The existence and size of QAnon really does drive home the point that the right diet of media can make some people believe quite literally anything, no matter how groundless or divorced from everyday reality.

I can understand Internet trolls pushing conspiracy theories in order to advance an agenda or hurt their political opponents, but some innocent old lady thinking about killing her family by carbon monoxide poisoning if Joe Biden wins, simply because of the content she reads on the Internet, is a much stranger concept to me.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited September 2020
    semiticgod wrote: »
    The existence and size of QAnon really does drive home the point that the right diet of media can make some people believe quite literally anything, no matter how groundless or divorced from everyday reality.

I can understand Internet trolls pushing conspiracy theories in order to advance an agenda or hurt their political opponents, but some innocent old lady thinking about killing her family by carbon monoxide poisoning if Joe Biden wins, simply because of the content she reads on the Internet, is a much stranger concept to me.

It's impossible to separate the deep-seeded antisemitism from this. The Dr. Claw at the heart of all these wild theories is always George Soros, the almost invisible, blank-slate, international puppet master who is controlling literally EVERYTHING. He is in charge of the children's blood distribution ring. He is sending people to set fires in Oregon. That every protester around the country is on his payroll. These are CORE beliefs at the heart of this.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    On that note, since we always talk about the media being "liberal" (and, as I've mentioned a million times before, ignoring ALL of radio in the definition of "media") you can add Facebook to the list of massively influential media outlets that swing massively to the right yet are exempt from being labeled as such. So I have to ask, if AM radio is 95%+ conservative, if the highest-rated cable news channel is basically Pravda, and the most influential website in history (outside of maybe Youtube) is OBJECTIVELY right-wing by any measure, how is it not time to put this ridiculous narrative to bed?? It's only possible if you outright ignore certain mediums where the right has a near complete monopoly and/or massive slant.

The definition of the "media" as it is currently portrayed basically amounts to "CNN, the NYT, and The Washington Post". I mean, let's get serious for a minute here. Most people do not read those two newspapers. Everyone gets in their car. Almost everyone (besides me and others who abandoned the cesspit long ago) logs onto Facebook multiple times a day. We need to stop pretending two newspapers and CNN are the only thing that deserve to be categorized with this definition. Of course, this is done on purpose to serve the overriding narrative. But the narrative is bullshit:

Why did I leave Facebook?? It was about 2 or 3 days after the Sandy Hook shooting. I was arguing with the friends of a friend about my very simple position that while you CAN kill people with things other than a gun, and gun makes it infinitely easier to kill people, kill more people, and kill those people fast. The counter-argument being presented to me was that if Adam Lanza had not had a gun, he would have still found a way to kill two dozen children. So I called them out and asked them how, by hitting them all over the head individually with a mallet or poisoning the snack tray?? They still wouldn't budge. This was damn near a decade ago at this point. I logged out, deactivated the account, and have never gone back. This was brewing for a LONG time.

Arguing with zealots rarely leads to anything productive...

Speaking of which......I mean, this is just another version of blood libel. In fact, I don't even think it's another version, it just got a quick paint-job. Q isn't a novel conspiracy theory. It's the oldest conspiracy theory in the book that just happens to now be going viral because Boomers believe their Facebook feed is leading them to the location of the Ark of the Covenant:

This is almost identical to the "Satanic Panic" of the 1980s (which posters here should be intimately familiar with because of D&D getting cast into it). It wasn't a joke. Actual daycare providers had their lives destroyed because law enforcement officials coached children to admit to being used in satanic sex rituals in dark, underground chambers. It's the reason the West Memphis Three were in prison for over a decade despite absolutely no physical evidence linking them to the crime. I guess what I'm saying is that Q isn't even original. It's a shitty remake that is getting mass distribution.

I lived that 80's bullshit. I clearly remember being driven by my dad around the countryside looking for witch covens and Satanic churches. Yes, he burned my D&D books also. Totally saved my soul until he discovered that sword & sorcery was really cool and did a 180. Suddenly he was buying me Conan books and I was playing Wizardry on his school's Apple II that he was allowed to bring home after work (he was a teacher, now retired). Yeah, my childhood wasn't confusing at all... ?
    edited September 2020
    On that note, since we always talk about the media being "liberal" (and, as I've mentioned a million times before, ignoring ALL of radio in the definition of "media") you can add Facebook to the list of massively influential media outlets that swing massively to the right yet are exempt from being labeled as such. So I have to ask, if AM radio is 95%+ conservative, if the highest-rated cable news channel is basically Pravda, and the most influential website in history (outside of maybe Youtube) is OBJECTIVELY right-wing by any measure, how is it not time to put this ridiculous narrative to bed?? It's only possible if you outright ignore certain mediums where the right has a near complete monopoly and/or massive slant.

The definition of the "media" as it is currently portrayed basically amounts to "CNN, the NYT, and The Washington Post". I mean, let's get serious for a minute here. Most people do not read those two newspapers. Everyone gets in their car. Almost everyone (besides me and others who abandoned the cesspit long ago) logs onto Facebook multiple times a day. We need to stop pretending two newspapers and CNN are the only thing that deserve to be categorized with this definition. Of course, this is done on purpose to serve the overriding narrative. But the narrative is bullshit:

Why did I leave Facebook?? It was about 2 or 3 days after the Sandy Hook shooting. I was arguing with the friends of a friend about my very simple position that while you CAN kill people with things other than a gun, and gun makes it infinitely easier to kill people, kill more people, and kill those people fast. The counter-argument being presented to me was that if Adam Lanza had not had a gun, he would have still found a way to kill two dozen children. So I called them out and asked them how, by hitting them all over the head individually with a mallet or poisoning the snack tray?? They still wouldn't budge. This was damn near a decade ago at this point. I logged out, deactivated the account, and have never gone back. This was brewing for a LONG time.

Speaking of which......I mean, this is just another version of blood libel. In fact, I don't even think it's another version, it just got a quick paint-job. Q isn't a novel conspiracy theory. It's the oldest conspiracy theory in the book that just happens to now be going viral because Boomers believe their Facebook feed is leading them to the location of the Ark of the Covenant:

This is almost identical to the "Satanic Panic" of the 1980s (which posters here should be intimately familiar with because of D&D getting cast into it). It wasn't a joke. Actual daycare providers had their lives destroyed because law enforcement officials coached children to admit to being used in satanic sex rituals in dark, underground chambers. It's the reason the West Memphis Three were in prison for over a decade despite absolutely no physical evidence linking them to the crime. I guess what I'm saying is that Q isn't even original. It's a shitty remake that is getting mass distribution.

I lived that 80's bullshit. I clearly remember being driven by my dad around the countryside looking for witch covens and Satanic churches. Yes, he burned my D&D books also. Totally saved my soul until he discovered that sword & sorcery was really cool and did a 180. Suddenly he was buying me Conan books and I was playing Wizardry on his school's Apple II that he was allowed to bring home after work (he was a teacher, now retired). Yeah, my childhood wasn't confusing at all... ?

Cops would find pentgrams drawn in highway underpasses and abandoned buildings and assume there was a cult at work, rather than the obvious cause, which was teenagers listening to Maiden and Ozzy after a 12-pack of Pabst. People weren't actually "worshipping" the devil in any real way. It was in vogue because the imagery was cool. Heavy Metal album covers are fucking awesome, usually regardless of the quality of the music. I dare say the album artwork had more to do with the popularity than the songs did.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,574

I didn't grow up in a religious household, but I had a friend who had deeply religious parents. The most absurd memory is that he was allowed to play Starcraft RTS games but not the Warcraft ones. Really drove home the ridiculousness to me, even as a child.
    DinoDin wrote: »

I didn't grow up in a religious household, but I had a friend who had deeply religious parents. The most absurd memory is that he was allowed to play Starcraft RTS games but not the Warcraft ones. Really drove home the ridiculousness to me, even as a child.

Literally because Orc Warlocks could summon a demon in WC1 and the design of the Altar of Storms which was the tech tree for Ogre-Magi in WC2. There is no other objectionable content in either game, even from a religious standpoint.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,841
    Well, I'd say necromancy is pretty taboo too, and it features prominently in the Warcraft series. For WC1 and WC2, in which the Orcs were coded as evil, they had necromancer units on their side.

But then, all that stuff only matters if you take magic seriously. Raised as I was in a non-religious household, that was just fun fantasy stuff. And raising the dead just wasn't very effective in those games, anyway.

... Oh, right, there's a pentagram in my avatar. That's actually all about math. The figure in question is the highly symmetrical Petersen graph, drawn in the plane with all 15 edges the same length. I first drew it over 20 years ago, and I still have a straightedge/compass construction of it memorized.
    Well, OK, the symbolism is mathematical. I use the picture because I like how it looks.
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    edited September 2020
    Undead is not that bad, not if you can hero creep effectively. Which undead excels at. Or even sniping or harassing with the Death Knight. Sniping is better than harassing, creeping is better than both, like a lot better on some maps.

My grandma was awful. I could have Princess Leia, Luke or Han Solo but not Chewbacca, Darth Vader or any of the aliens were off limits. She burnt a Jawa in the fire barrel. She burnt one Player’s Handbook and two second edition handbooks. Don’t make fun okay, my best friend’s father was a huge Kiss fan and her and I would listen to the albums over and over again, my grandma smashed 2, not one but two Double Platinum albums and left them on the desk in my room. Isn’t that like kicking someone when they are down or water boarding? Aren’t there Geneva Conventions against that sort of thing? She smashed my Queen albums and even the Meatloaf albums. Meatloaf?!?!

On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?
    Yes.
    Post edited by Michelle on
    jmerry wrote: »

... Oh, right, there's a pentagram in my avatar. That's actually all about math. The figure in question is the highly symmetrical Petersen graph, drawn in the plane with all 15 edges the same length. I first drew it over 20 years ago, and I still have a straightedge/compass construction of it memorized.
    Well, OK, the symbolism is mathematical. I use the picture because I like how it looks.

Well at least your avatar doesn't have the CERN symbol.
    cndddfzyb2xa.jpg
    That's clearly an offset 666, not a stylized image of a particle accelerator and track. They have a statue of Shiva at the entrance there too. They're trying to open a portal to Hell to gate in demons. (Real conspiracy theory - you can't make this shit up!)

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited September 2020
    deltago wrote: »
    deltago wrote: »
    If this witness is describing events accurately, then it appears law enforcement officials went to confront the Portland suspect with the full intention of killing him rather than even attempting an arrest:

And this is why the States need SIUs. If I was Biden, I'd be pushing this right now. Screw the police unions, they are already backing Trump.

IMO, it was an ordered kill by the president. There is a tweet to back that claim up. Why federal agents were there in the first place is another mystery.

It also isn't surprising that the president and right wing media are labeling the protestors and vandals alike as Antifa at the same time attempting to get Antifa labelled as a terrorist group. It's just justification to murder them.

Based on the article, there may be an alternative explanation than a targeted assassination by the state of somebody of virtually no significance.

echjshs9eppl.png

Yep. And those witnesses are full of it.

https://www.thenewstribune.com/news/state/washington/article245487235.html

"The man got out of his vehicle and began to fire what they believe was an assault rifle at the SUVs. They said they heard 40 or 50 shots, then officers returned fire, hitting the man."

Yet only a hand gun was recovered and cops would not confirm if it had been fired or not.
    https://nypost.com/2020/09/04/alleged-portland-shooter-michael-reinoehl-had-gun-when-killed-cops/

I am not a gun expert, but a handgun does not hold 40 bullets.

The story the cops and media have been telling about this incident have been falling apart from the beginning.

This was the tweet in question. When I first read it, I was "Portland Police can't do anything, he isn't in their jurisdiction at the moment" then I read the comments that the guy was dead. Reading a bit more however, I realize that the cops killed him at 7 p.m. and not after the Vice Interview aired at 11 p.m. which lines up with Trump's tweet. Timeline confusion on my part but mostly to do with a lot of the articles about the incident being published around 11 o'clock that evening.

When Michael was executed those two witnesses reported by the Olympian were the only story. And all the MAGA types pointed to those two witnesses to deny that it was not a state sponsored execution of an American citizen without a trial. The guy was clearly going to get off on self defense.

Trump had him executed by his brownshirts.

Kyle Rittenhouse was arrested and given a kiss on the cheek probably. After they let him walk away after murdering and shooting people. He walked right by the cops.

We are in fascist times folks. It looks like things are only going to get worse.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited September 2020
    The Internet Archive, possibly the single most valuable resource on the internet, is being subjected to punitive lawsuits by some of the worst institutions in the country. If you have ever used them in any capacity, now would be a good time to donate if you can spare it.

I know I get a lot of use of them, because I love the 90's and early 2000's internet and the archive is the only way to see many sites as they once were.

There was a time when Lycos was my preferred search engine, and it used to take 5 minutes for a nude photo to load. Everything else in regards to 90s nostalgia is instantly available on the web (the TV shows, the movies, the music) but the one thing that really isn't is the actual first-gen websites. There are still a couple RPG websites I have bookmarked that are still active from the early-2000s, but every few months another one of them finally vanishes.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I value out of the archive, is going back to see old fansites and web forums, as well as the occasional webcomic that no longer exists. There was this hilarious Q and A page that existed in the early 2000's where people would ask DnD questions to Final Fantasies Red Mage. Really great stuff but can only be found on the archive now.

I'm big on preservation in general. There's something valuable in being able to see the thoughts and works of earlier times.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I remember a bit of the D&D panic, but it was already dying down, if not completely over, by the time BG1 got me into it. Hilariously, my mom was full in on it while my dad had been playing since 1e.

I WAS around for the "Satanic Pokemon" frenzy though. That was a fun one. I think I know what its like to get religious tracts for something you really don't care about now, after all the evil pokemon pamphlets I kept finding on my desk at school.

A fun one that seems to have died before it could get started was that Monster Energy drinks were heralding the coming of the Anti-Christ. That was a fun weekend.
    edited September 2020
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    I remember a bit of the D&D panic, but it was already dying down, if not completely over, by the time BG1 got me into it. Hilariously, my mom was full in on it while my dad had been playing since 1e.

I WAS around for the "Satanic Pokemon" frenzy though. That was a fun one. I think I know what its like to get religious tracts for something you really don't care about now, after all the evil pokemon pamphlets I kept finding on my desk at school.

A fun one that seems to have died before it could get started was that Monster Energy drinks were heralding the coming of the Anti-Christ. That was a fun weekend.

Oh, and let's not forget Jerry Falwell Sr. suggesting that the purple Teletubby was gay, and inserted into the show as a subliminal message to turn young children into homosexuals.

And......I honestly don't enjoy having to be this pessimistic and cynical, but sometimes it's just impossible not to be:

Post edited by jjstraka34 on
    Canada had no COVID-19 deaths yesterday. We had (still, at this date) over 1000. And yet, when this gets pointed out, people are STILL trying to make excuses for why, and how this was all inevitable and nothing could be done to prevent where we are. American exceptionalism as a suicide pact.
  • ÆmrysÆmrys Member Posts: 125
    Just gonna leave this here
    edited September 2020
    Æmrys wrote: »
    Just gonna leave this here

Too bad his magical omniscience didn't extend to preventing a couple hundred thousand people from dying in six months from a virus he was warned about at least 3 months in advance. At this minute COVID-19 is the equivalent of.........sixty-six 9/11 attacks.

To this day, we still have to take our shoes off at airports because of 3000 deaths. His supporters won't wear a mask in public at 200,000 and counting. Where do the already three teachers who have died from COVID-19 after being forced back into classrooms go for their yearly memorial?? Because all I see in the comment section when any of the victims are mentioned on Twitter is "were they overweight, what else was wrong with them, why weren't they healthier". If I actually COULD get out of this country, at this point I'd seriously consider it. This country is diseased, and not just because virus is running unchecked. It's rotting from the core.
    His supporters won't wear a mask in public at 200,000 and counting.

Not all of his supporters forgo wearing a mask nor do all BLM protesters riot and loot.
    Forcing us all back early to save his prized economy is not going to end well. A lot of countries are seeing an uptick in cases and fear is that there will be a second wave, we are still cemented in the first.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    "Not all of his supporters forgo wearing a mask nor do all BLM protesters riot and loot."

Haven't the majority, if not all of, the rioters been started by the police and outside agitators though? I don't think members of BLM have been shown to be the agitators in these cases.
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    "Not all of his supporters forgo wearing a mask nor do all BLM protesters riot and loot."

Haven't the majority, if not all of, the rioters been started by the police and outside agitators though? I don't think members of BLM have been shown to be the agitators in these cases.

Antifa... according to Fox News.
    edited September 2020
    When a news outfit has to put out counter propaganda everyone's spidey sense should tingle just the same as when trump and his gang say theirs . There is an election in 50 days,10 hours and 50 minutes there will be more bombers before then we just have to push to the finish line and vote them out.

If links dont work: theirs=https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-condemns-antifa-violent-protests
    out=https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/09/01/black-lives-matter-antifa-are-not-same-thing/
    If you want to know what the real bias in news media is, it's not liberal or conservative, it's "East Coast". The entire West Coast of the country is blanketed in an orange haze because of wild-fires, and it's mentioned in passing on most newscasts. If there is a slightly more than mild snowstorm in New York, it's a earth-shattering event.
    Climate change has also been put on the back burner it seems. Not like it's that important to the survival of every species or anything.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    When a news outfit has to put out counter propaganda everyone's spidey sense should tingle just the same as when trump and his gang say theirs . There is an election in 50 days,10 hours and 50 minutes there will be more bombers before then we just have to push to the finish line and vote them out.

If links dont work: theirs=https://www.foxnews.com/politics/biden-condemns-antifa-violent-protests
    out=https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/09/01/black-lives-matter-antifa-are-not-same-thing/

I dont really know what you're trying to say. Rioters and Looters do not automatically equal Antifa. Everyone who keeps saying "Its Antifa" are being inherently dishonest because Antifa isnt some big monolithic organization that is mobilizing protests/riots/looters.

So where's the propaganda? They're just fact checking the attribution of Antifa to every incident of street protest in the USA.

It's like calling every leftist a "marxist". Marxists are real, but not every leftist is one though, despite the right's insistence.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The convenient thing about using Antifa as a boogieman is because it's not a real unified organization with specific leaders. It lets you lump people together and promote the fear of all of them. People will label anything as Antifa. Even in this thread I've seen an unidentified person in a video alleged to be Antifa despite zero evidence for it. Like with any conspiracy theory, being vague lets people pretend they don't need hard proof of anything.

If you just said "protestors are terrorists," it would be obvious what you were trying to do. But if you say protestors are Antifa, and also say Antifa is a terrorist organization, you can label peaceful protestors as violent terrorists. Using Antifa as a boogieman lets people justify crackdowns on the administration's enemies, whether that means tear gas or beatings or kidnappings or literally just shooting protestors or running them over with a car.

I've said this about the child separation policy and I'll say it about the protests: if you had told me, in 2016, that the police would be reacting to peaceful protests with beatings and chemical weapons, or that right-wing media and right-wing politicians were defending terrorists like Kyle Rittenhouse who actually brought guns to protests specifically so they could get shoot protestors, all while pretending that their political opponents were actually somehow terrorists, I would have said that was impossible.

I keep seeing things happen that I thought could never happen in this country. People still, even now, say it's silly to think the crackdowns on protests represent a slide into fascism, but I just can't believe anything is impossible anymore.

If using chemical weapons on protestors and assaulting and in some cases even murdering the president's political opponents doesn't constitute a slide into fascism, what the hell does?
    If my post bewildered you I can't help. The WP opinion piece should of made it pretty clear that I do not think that rioters and looters automatically equal antifa, a Redneck white hick with a rifle equal a trump supporter or a Black American in a BLM protest is equal to a looter. I'll join in healthy discussion but Im not here to amuse or explain my thoughts or opinions because they don't align.

There are many things I detest about the BLM organization and their leaders but I do not hold that against the movement that is in the streets. Same goes for my detest of Far-Right Militias and their leaders but I dont hold against them their right to keep their neighbourhoods and families safe. I will agree that every leftist is not a Marxist but same goes for not every trump supporter is a Fascist.

I will ask this, who do we think is organizing all the rioting and looting in places like Portland and who were behind the chaz/chop social experiment in Seattle earlier this year? Who is behind the mobilization of White and Black Militias who are roaming and flexing in the streets?

There will always be a push and shove game when it comes to real social change, those who have the power want to keep it and those who think they can take it for themselves will do and say anything even if its to the detriment and to undermine a real social movement. Sounds Colonial does it not?

I'm so sick of hearing tear gas being called a 'chemical weapon'. That is such bullshit. They've been using teargas for decades and it's never been an issue until the last few years. Perfect example of moving the goalpost. Tear gas is not nerve gas for fuck's sake...
    I think a piss bottle or molotov cocktail is much more dangerous but wtf do I know.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    edited September 2020
    If my post bewildered you I can't help. The WP opinion piece should of made it pretty clear that I do not think that rioters and looters automatically equal antifa, a Redneck white hick with a rifle equal a trump supporter or a Black American in a BLM protest is equal to a looter. I'll join in healthy discussion but Im not here to amuse or explain my thoughts or opinions because they don't align.

What? Your original post said this:
    When a news outfit has to put out counter propaganda everyone's spidey sense should tingle just the same as when trump and his gang say theirs .

To me. It sounds like you're saying the WaPo article differentiating Antifa from rioters/looters is propaganda. It isnt. It's pretty much just a fact. If that's *not* what your post meant to convey, then I invite you to explain it to me. That is the nature of a healthy discussion.

I'm so sick of hearing tear gas being called a 'chemical weapon'. That is such bullshit. They've been using teargas for decades and it's never been an issue until the last few years. Perfect example of moving the goalpost. Tear gas is not nerve gas for fuck's sake...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/06/06/fact-check-its-true-tear-gas-chemical-weapon-banned-war/3156448001/

Just because people have only recently started objecting to certain practices doesnt mean it's "moving the goal posts". You dont have to like that people feel this way, but it is outlawed in warfare. The idea that something crosses a line in warfare but not in civil disobedience should raise your eyebrows
    There are reasons they are outlawed in warfare, America is not a battle ground, yet.
    edited September 2020

What? Your original post said this:
    When a news outfit has to put out counter propaganda everyone's spidey sense should tingle just the same as when trump and his gang say theirs .

To me. It sounds like you're saying the WaPo article differentiating Antifa from rioters/looters is propaganda. It isnt. It's pretty much just a fact. If that's *not* what your post meant to convey, then I invite you to explain it to me. That is the nature of a healthy discussion.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/06/06/fact-check-its-true-tear-gas-chemical-weapon-banned-war/3156448001/

Just because people have only recently started objecting to certain practices doesnt mean it's "moving the goal posts". You dont have to like that people feel this way, but it is outlawed in warfare. The idea that something crosses a line in warfare but not in civil disobedience should raise your eyebrows

It makes you cry, it doesn't kill you. The reason it's outlawed in warfare is because they don't want to open that Pandora's box to interpretation. My statement stands...