Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,655
    edited October 2020
    Such large gaps in demographic voting/opinion patterns have always implied to me that the parties aren't compromising with each other, and that certain groups overwhelmingly perceive their material interests to be represented by one party. Unhealthy.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    And yeah, if we're being honest about it, the only thing making the rounds on social media right now is that a fly landed on Pence's head and parked there for over two minutes. Tonight is, again, inconsequential, but Pence is the one who is the butt of every joke at the moment.
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    And yeah, if we're being honest about it, the only thing making the rounds on social media right now is that a fly landed on Pence's head and parked there for over two minutes. Tonight is, again, inconsequential, but Pence is the one who is the butt of every joke at the moment.

Shows how little vice presidential debates matter. But I still like them because I'm a hopeless political junkie
    edited October 2020

Shows how little vice presidential debates matter. But I still like them because I'm a hopeless political junkie

If we want to get into substance, Harris's comment about not banning fracking has the left up in arms. I also think fracking is highly problematic, but I also realize that Joe Biden actually wants to win Pennsylvania. Both candidates tonight spent alot of time defending the top of the ticket. The problem for Mike Pence is that no one wants to hear anymore excuses made for Donald Trump.

I think we had a couple weeks where COVID-19 faded from being the main topic, but that all ended when the entire West Wing tested positive. As I heard on "Rising" a couple days ago (and I agree with this) all Biden has to do now to win the election is wear a mask and act responsible. That's how low the bar is.
    edited October 2020
    If we want to get into substance

I don't, lol. I don't truly care about vice presidential debates either and I have BG3 on the mind.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,447
    edited October 2020

If we want to get into substance, Harris's comment about not banning fracking has the left up in arms. I also think fracking is highly problematic, but I also realize that Joe Biden actually wants to win Pennsylvania. Both candidates tonight spent alot of time defending the top of the ticket. The problem for Mike Pence is that no one wants to hear anymore excuses made for Donald Trump.

There's no need for a total ban - government can affect what's done in other ways. e.g.
    - reverse the current situation where government financial support is concentrated on hydrocarbons rather than renewables.
    - require fracking to be done within environmental regulations. In the UK fracking is legal, but work has to stop for 18 hours whenever there's an earthquake of greater than 0.5 on the Richter scale. That happens a lot (often daily), with the result that no successful commercial fracking has yet been possible anywhere in the UK. The industry originally agreed with that limit on the grounds that their work was safe and the likelihood of earthquakes remote, but for some time now have been campaigning against it on the grounds that it's effectively stopping them operate.
    edited October 2020
    The debate commission said the next debate is going virtual (you know, since one of the participants is an active COVID-19 patient), and Trump just announced on FOX News he will not participate in a virtual debate.

It's entirely likely Trump was infected at the last debate. The next one is supposed to be a town hall. Trump seems to be objecting to the fact he can't infect MORE people than he already has, or his 77-year old opponent.

He's done. Doesn't understand the dynamics of what is going on in this country AT ALL. The vast, vast majority of the country takes the virus seriously and is concerned about it. They have gone all in on the absolute fringe. Their absolute disregard for the most BASIC safety precautions time after time after time is the dumbest political strategy of the last century.
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Dropping out of the debate if you don’t like the format or for whatever reason is really pathetic and pretty undemocratic. He’s so far behind you’d think he’d be desperate to change a few minds. Johnson has form for this too, but when your opponent is Jeremy Corbyn you have a bit more wriggle room
  • jonesr65jonesr65 Member Posts: 66
    The debate commission said the next debate is going virtual (you know, since one of the participants is an active COVID-19 patient), and Trump just announced on FOX News he will not participate in a virtual debate.

It's entirely likely Trump was infected at the last debate. The next one is supposed to be a town hall. Trump seems to be objecting to the fact he can't infect MORE people than he already has, or his 77-year old opponent.

He's done. Doesn't understand the dynamics of what is going on in this country AT ALL. The vast, vast majority of the country takes the virus seriously and is concerned about it. They have gone all in on the absolute fringe. Their absolute disregard for the most BASIC safety precautions time after time after time is the dumbest political strategy of the last century.

He couldn't put his show on for his base even before the change in format, so he has been looking for a way to back out. Plus with the S**t Show from last week he knew it hurt him. I also think he more affected from COVID-19 than he wants to let on because it make him look weak to his base and he's worried right now Pence is coming back to the White House bugged :D
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    All of this. The debates were his one plausible way back into the race, and now that's gone.

Part of my wonders if he isnt getting bad advice at this point. The difference between losing by 8 points on election night and 10 doesnt matter for the president, but will probably result in 1 or 2 extra Senate seats for Democrats. Maybe he's getting some bad advice from the GOP establishment that really doesnt want to go down with the sinking ship.

Either way. Biden's lead is almost 10pts in 538's model, which has been by far the most conservative major election model on the market. Everyone expected some kind of reversion to the mean and a tight election, and instead Trump seems to be floundering as more and more independents bail.
  • jonesr65jonesr65 Member Posts: 66
    It was just posted that on his interview Fox Business he trying and put the blame on family members from the Gold Star Banquet for possibly infecting him .
    edited October 2020
    The virus has also really started to take hold in the rural midwest. Here in ND, we are starting to see real problems with the number of ICU beds, and people are having to be moved from Bismarck to Fargo (where a relatively new castle-like hospital has been built in the last couple years). There were days early on where we didn't even have 24 new cases, yesterday we had 24 deaths. The governor has deferred overwhelmingly to the Chamber of Commerce crowd, and we are now starting to pay the price.

Let's conservatively say everyone who dies of COVID-19 has 5 close loved ones. That's over a million people. Let's say 2 of those 5 were previously inclined to vote for Trump, believed him when he downplayed it and told them everything was fine. Now their relative is dead. That's half a million people right there who are immediately going to have serious second thoughts about voting for him again. As the cases go up, so to do the number of Americans with first-hand experience with it that flies in the face of everything they have heard from the White House and Republicans over the past 6 months. Even people who have survived have had hospital stays, breathing issues, now chronic health problems. It's not just the optics of the West Wing having more active cases than many entire countries. It's that we are now reaching a point where COVID-19 has so saturated the landscape that EVERYONE now knows someone who had it, and MANY people know people who had serious problems or died.

But they just keep doubling down time after time. After Trump got the virus, he is even MORE gung-ho about downplaying it, despite the fact that he was put on oxygen and pumped full of more drugs than Keith Richards on a Stones tour in the late '70s. People may be dumb, but they aren't dumb enough to believe they are going to get the same medical treatment for COVID-19 as Trump did. In the NYT article about ND I read this morning, the key figure was a woman who personally had the virus herself who was also caring for her 83-year old father who was practically on death's door, and she couldn't even get him admitted to the hospital. Lots of things played bad optically for Trump when he got the virus, but I'm not sure anything played worse than basically telling people "don't worry, if you get it you'll be fine, as long as you get airlifted to a world-class hospital and have an entire squadron of doctors on hand 24/7 to inject you with every experimental treatment known to man". And the man is talking about holding a rally in place of the debate next week. A rally. After all this. It's actually kind of mind-boggling what is going on here.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,371
    I sense 6 Trump pardons sometime in the near future...

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN26T2ZF
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    I sense 6 Trump pardons sometime in the near future...

https://www.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN26T2ZF

I would have initially thought it was the FBI finding some guy spouting off, then having undercover agents egg them on until they are breaking laws (this has happened to Muslims a few times since 9/11), but these guys seem to have come up with the whole thing on their own.
    This is 100% a green screen. I still say the only explanation is he is loaded out of his gourd:

edited October 2020
    If we want to get into substance, Harris's comment about not banning fracking has the left up in arms. I also think fracking is highly problematic, but I also realize that Joe Biden actually wants to win Pennsylvania.

I'm in the mood today. Nobody in PA likes fracking unless they work in the industry. It has devastated a lot of people's lands and there were all sorts of really unethical loopholes that they tried to exploit in years past, like a concept of forced pooling, where if you didn't sign your land over but a good majority did, well too bad, you had to make a deal because they were developing there anyway. They still have a bad rap for how they treated landowners here.

PA holds the cards here, those natural resources aren't moving to another state, so they can afford to be getting much more for the public in exchange for them then they are currently getting, and impose all sorts of environmental regulations.

I'm not saying "ban fracking", so much as that if you want to do it, you have to do it in the way that serves the public good.
    edited October 2020
    If we want to get into substance, Harris's comment about not banning fracking has the left up in arms. I also think fracking is highly problematic, but I also realize that Joe Biden actually wants to win Pennsylvania.

I'm in the mood today. Nobody in PA likes fracking unless they work in the industry. It has devastated a lot of people's lands and there were all sorts of really unethical loopholes that they tried to exploit in years past, like a concept of forced pooling, where if you didn't sign your land over but a good majority did, well too bad, you had to make a deal because they were developing there anyway. They still have a bad rap for how they treated landowners here.

PA holds the cards here, those natural resources aren't moving to another state, so they can afford to be getting much more for the public in exchange for them then they are currently getting, and impose all sorts of environmental regulations.

I'm not saying "ban fracking", so much as that if you want to do it, you have to do it in the way that serves the public good.

Are people "in the industry" enough to swing an election?? I guess that's the question. This is a situation where the EC dictates national policy based on a local issue, but only if the state is an electoral tipping point. This is never going to come up in Oklahoma.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Are people "in the industry" enough to swing an election?? I guess that's the question. This is a situation where the EC dictates national policy based on a local issue, but only if the state is an electoral tipping point. This is never going to come up in Oklahoma.

I don’t get the argument really.

A person isn’t going to vote for the party that won’t flat out ban fracking but the other party who is now in power, has passed laws to and has been selling off National Park lands to foreign investors to frack.

One is more extreme than the other in the issue and the arguments that Zeke has put forth are more of a state problem than a national problem.
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    I agree that one side is worse than the other but it could have an impact in terms of people that may see both sides as bad and so they don’t bother voting for either
    ilduderino wrote: »
    I agree that one side is worse than the other but it could have an impact in terms of people that may see both sides as bad and so they don’t bother voting for either

It's worse than that. Both sides are held hostage by their fringes. The fringes are in control when that happens and neither side is willing to compromise on literally ANYTHING! It's recipe for a total disaster and the only cure is getting rid of the two party system. Trouble is, as long as 'your' side is in control, you don't want change anymore and the other side goes into high-gear until they're back in control. Back and forth like a fucking yo-yo and the average position of a yo-yo is right where it started. Which is right where the powers that be want it...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I think a central party in the US would fare very well. I’d attempt to start in the Senate. The Senate is almost 50-50 divided that having those we’ll call them independent centralist that those 4-5 seats would hold a crap load of power.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Balrog99 Part of the problem is that the Democrats have tried to compromise. They compromised on the wall thing, and they compromised on the stimulus checks. Trump changed his mind after agreeing to it. So the Trump got what he wanted and the Democrats got nothing.

Its all well and good to talk about "compromise" and "both sides", but the reality is that one side is willing to and HAS compromised, but the other just flips the bird at them with every attempt.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,596
    edited October 2020
    How has Biden demonstrated that he's held hostage by the fringe left? He's literally come out and rejected some proposals of the far left -- Medicare for All, banning fracking and more. I think people need to get over the egotistical satisfaction of saying "both sides are bad" and recognize the world for what it is.

Moreover, mainstream Democrats are not remotely far left on a global scale. Only a blinkered view of politics would conclude that Biden or Obama style democrats are far left or even held hostage by the far left.
    DinoDin wrote: »
    I think people need to get over the egotistical satisfaction of saying "both sides are bad" and recognize the world for what it is.

And I suppose the accurate view of the world is that we live in a time of the purest heroes and most vile of villains, where the heroes have ascended past normal human moral failings and achieved something similar to sainthood or godhood. The incarnates of the celestial realm and the infernal abyss walk among us right now.

The people who are saying "both sides are bad" are the only ones capable of compromise, reconciliation, negotiation in a time of thoughtless and destructive tribalism. We've seen the extent of good faith and open mindedness the partisans have. It led us to this moment.
  • ÆmrysÆmrys Member Posts: 125
    This is getting serious guys, we have finally entered the twilight zone.
    Æmrys wrote: »

Yeah, I referenced that event in my earlier post (albeit cryptically via the Trump pardons sarcasm). I live in Michigan so it's even scarier for me. I listen to WJR out of Detroit which is pretty conservative (but actually has some very good and relatively impartial local commentators - including Mitch Albom who is not only one of the funniest and most interesting commentators around, he's also an all-around great human being). Anyway, having said that, the callers today were absolutely frightening with their "Antifa is just as bad" b.s. even though not one of them has ever encountered any Antifa members and probably never will.

We're beyond the point of compromise when everything is 'but the other side is just as bad so my side is justified', or 'your side is evil incarnate'. I've been chirping about how bad my side is for well over a year now. My eyes were opened by Trump. However, I noticed the dark side of the left long before then back in the 90's with Bill Clinton. This isn't whataboutism from me, when I talk about both parties being full of shit.
  • ÆmrysÆmrys Member Posts: 125
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Æmrys wrote: »

Yeah, I referenced that event in my earlier post (albeit cryptically via the Trump pardons sarcasm). I live in Michigan so it's even scarier for me. I listen to WJR out of Detroit which is pretty conservative (but actually has some very good and relatively impartial local commentators - including Mitch Albom who is not only one of the funniest and most interesting commentators around, he's also an all-around great human being). Anyway, having said that, the callers today were absolutely frightening with their "Antifa is just as bad" b.s. even though not one of them has ever encountered any Antifa members and probably never will.

We're beyond the point of compromise when everything is 'but the other side is just as bad so my side is justified', or 'your side is evil incarnate'. I've been chirping about how bad my side is for well over a year now. My eyes were opened by Trump. However, I noticed the dark side of the left long before then back in the 90's with Bill Clinton. This isn't whataboutism from me, when I talk about both parties being full of shit.

I hope that we the people realize that we are being played by both sides before it's too late.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I mean, do we want to compare notes? The fringe of Democrats want medicare for all and no fraking. The Republicans have literally thrown kids in cages at concentration camps. Go ahead and find something equivalent to Jim Henson's concentration kids. I think its also worth noting that I'm not a Democrat. I simply have no illusions of what the kind of people who will sign off on concentration camps are capable of.
    edited October 2020
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    I mean, do we want to compare notes? The fringe of Democrats want medicare for all and no fraking. The Republicans have literally thrown kids in cages at concentration camps. Go ahead and find something equivalent to Jim Henson's concentration kids. I think its also worth noting that I'm not a Democrat. I simply have no illusions of what the kind of people who will sign off on concentration camps are capable of.

The recent revelations about Jeff Sessions and Rosenstein are beyond damning. "We need to take away children" WAS the policy, and it was meant to be a punishment for crossing the border, rather than , you know, the standard thing people get for breaking the law, which is fines or jail time. We purposefully destroyed families for crossing a line on a map. They insisted at the time it was an unfortunate byproduct of a tougher border policy. That wasn't true. The separation was the GOAL.

The people who stated from the beginning that "the cruelty is the point" were 100% correct. The idea you should lose your child for a misdemeanor border crossing is absolutely dystopian. And you can't do that to someone you perceive as another human being. You can only do that to someone you have convinced yourself is an animal, or worse.

The only underlying principle of the Trump years is punishing people who are perceived to have "deserved" it. Undocumented immigrant loses child?? Good, they had it coming. Trump makes liberals cry?? I drink their tears. California is on fire?? Awesome, let them fend for themselves. COVID-19 mostly kills old people and those with underlying health issues?? They were just parasites dragging the rest of down anyway. It's vindictiveness as an all-consuming governing philosophy.

Republicans should thank their lucky stars someone as non-vindictive as Joe Biden is his possible successor, because there are plenty of us who don't have alot of interest in just turning the other cheek and pretending this never happend.

Joe Biden actually means it when he says he'll be President for everyone. His entire career reveals he is practically obsessed with working across the aisle. I think this is hopelessly naive for someone who had a front row seat to the Obama years, but this is where we are. He'll find out soon enough they'll do the same to him.