Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,447
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    The man is a street fighter, just on different streets than you or I are used to, don’t turn your back on him. That being said he has had a tendency to implode, so who knows what is going on. I think what has surprised me most the last 4 years is not him, but his diehard supporters. I did not know that we had the makings of a Hitler Germany here today.

I don’t understand what mattresses are all about. I consider myself a ummm... at least semi intelligent human being and every time someone brings up mattresses I start to question that. What is up with the mattresses?! Am I a mental deficient or are you speaking in some obscure code? Please explain the mattresses!

Going to the matttresses is a phrase from "The Godfather". It is used in a scene when the lieutenants of the mafia leader are anticipating violence between the rival crime families. "Going to the mattresses" means "going to war". The phrase used because the "soldiers" aren't safe in their normal homes or on the streets, and they live in abandoned apartments with mattresses for the duration of the conflict to increase their chances of surviving the street violence. For previous generations it was as well-known and commonly used as "bend the knee" or "I'm the one who knocks" is now. It's also where the phrase "it's not personal, it's just business" comes from.

I seemed to remember @_Nightfall_ that Meg Ryan had a similar reaction to you in You've Got Mail - and a few seconds later Youtube provided the evidence. That probably reflects that, while the saying would seem incomprehensible to some, it was sufficiently well known (at least 20 years ago) to be given a nod in popular culture :D.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Grond0 wrote: »
    The man is a street fighter, just on different streets than you or I are used to, don’t turn your back on him. That being said he has had a tendency to implode, so who knows what is going on. I think what has surprised me most the last 4 years is not him, but his diehard supporters. I did not know that we had the makings of a Hitler Germany here today.

I don’t understand what mattresses are all about. I consider myself a ummm... at least semi intelligent human being and every time someone brings up mattresses I start to question that. What is up with the mattresses?! Am I a mental deficient or are you speaking in some obscure code? Please explain the mattresses!

Going to the matttresses is a phrase from "The Godfather". It is used in a scene when the lieutenants of the mafia leader are anticipating violence between the rival crime families. "Going to the mattresses" means "going to war". The phrase used because the "soldiers" aren't safe in their normal homes or on the streets, and they live in abandoned apartments with mattresses for the duration of the conflict to increase their chances of surviving the street violence. For previous generations it was as well-known and commonly used as "bend the knee" or "I'm the one who knocks" is now. It's also where the phrase "it's not personal, it's just business" comes from.

I seemed to remember @_Nightfall_ that Meg Ryan had a similar reaction to you in You've Got Mail - and a few seconds later Youtube provided the evidence. That probably reflects that, while the saying would seem incomprehensible to some, it was sufficiently well known (at least 20 years ago) to be given a nod in popular culture :D.

Correct, and one of many reasons "You've Got Mail" is very underrated.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited October 2020

What a dumb move. Trump bucks were a universal positive in his favor. He should have tried to ram them through. Holding off to try to increase turnout is not only unethical, it is going to backfire.

There are about a half dozen right wing twitter accounts that I trust in terms of sourcing and analysis. I imagine it's the same for the left. Quality is always in the minority.

Sooooo, this tweet from 3 days ago aged like milk.

3 days ago...

President is a crazy person dragging us all down with him. What a feckless, irrational, crazy person.

The great dealmaker has not made one deal in his presidency ever.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,371
    Mantis37 wrote: »
    Don’t know but mattresses may refer to the expression “going to the mattresses”, when criminal gangs are in a state of warfare and so do not sleep with their families.

Trump is likely in the second week of his infection judging from the cocktail of meds he’s on. Given what we know of the possible long term cognitive effects of covid it’s highly questionable whether anyone who’s had it should be in a position of responsibility unsupervised. Then again, no one person should really have the capability to end most of the life on earth in an afternoon.

I sincerely doubt any president has had total control over "The Button". Just sayin'. No defense of our current POTUS whatsoever. Just an educated guess...
    edited October 2020
    He has, within the last hour, now reversed his position on the stimulus again. I have enough memories of my bi-polar father being on the wrong meds to recognize a manic episode when I see one. Trump is having one tonight. The guy is high as a kite.
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 550

I knew that I heard that before! I knew it! I think that what threw me off is that JJ uses gambling terms a lot, I think, I don't know much about poker and thought that it may be one of those. Don't mind me, going back to my cave with my popcorn and watch the proceedings.

I knew that I heard that before! I knew it! I think that what threw me off is that JJ uses gambling terms a lot, I think, I don't know much about poker and thought that it may be one of those. Don't mind me, going back to my cave with my popcorn and watch the proceedings.

@Balrog99 is the poker player. I'm too risk averse to be a frequent gambler.
    He has, within the last hour, now reversed his position on the stimulus again. I have enough memories of my bi-polar father being off his meds (or on the wrong combination) to recognize a manic episode when I see one. Trump is having one tonight.

He's throwing an array of darts at a dartboard hoping one will hit ?. I'd probably do the same thing in his shoes if I were him and realistically wanted to be re-elected. What else can he do at this point? It's too fucking late for him to embrace masking or otherwise embracing any semblance of reality.
    edited October 2020
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    He has, within the last hour, now reversed his position on the stimulus again. I have enough memories of my bi-polar father being off his meds (or on the wrong combination) to recognize a manic episode when I see one. Trump is having one tonight.

He's throwing an array of darts at a dartboard hoping one will hit ?. I'd probably do the same thing in his shoes if I were him and realistically wanted to be re-elected. What else can he do at this point? It's too fucking late for him to embrace masking or otherwise embracing any semblance of reality.

All Biden has to do at this point to win the election is wear a mask in public, encourage other people do so, and not whip out his junk at the debate. That's where the bar is at this point. And Trump, miraculously, lowered it to that point for him. To be honest, I'm pretty sure Biden could still win even if he exposed himself on national television. This election basically boiled down to an issue the public is about 80-20 in favor of (wearing masks) and somehow, Republicans decided the smart play was to be on the 20% side. And since 1600 Pennsylvania Ave is now the nation's largest hot spot, well, I don't think I have to explain why it's an insurmountable problem.

Assuming the VP debate takes place, all Kamala Harris should say is "You were in charge of the Coronavirus task force. You couldn't even keep you boss safe, why should America trust you to keep their parents and grandparents safe??" And then go home.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    In other news, one of the bigger developments is in North Carolina. The Democratic candidate, Cal Cunningham has had a series of explicit text messages leaked with a what looks to be his mistress. For context, he is currently married and has two kids.

NC has been trending blue in the senate race, with Cunningham nursing a small and stable 2 to 4 point lead of Tillis. This is the kind of bombshell that can cost him (and Democrats) a senate seat. The math to 50 seats gets a lot harder if NC stays with the GOP...
    edited October 2020

I'd be 'all-in' on Biden right now. I've lost to a 95-5 odds against bet before though. That's probably why I'm hesitant to say Trump will lose for sure. When you're sitting on a win except for a 20/1 inside straight river card and lose, you can believe anything...

I'd be 'all-in' on Biden right now. I've lost to a 95-5 odds against bet before tbough. That's probably why I'm hesitant to say Trump will lose for sure. When you're sitting on a win except for a 20/1 inside straight river card and lose, you can believe anything...

It doesn't matter, you still make the bet. It's no different than letting a 20% 3-point shooter take the game-winning shot from behind the arc. If he makes it, you live with it. It doesn't mean you were wrong for doing so.

I'd be 'all-in' on Biden right now. I've lost to a 95-5 odds against bet before tbough. That's probably why I'm hesitant to say Trump will lose for sure. When you're sitting on a win except for a 20/1 inside straight river card and lose, you can believe anything...

It doesn't matter, you still make the bet. It's no different than letting a 20% 3-point shooter take the game-winning shot from behind the arc. If he makes it, you live with it. It doesn't mean you were wrong for doing so.

I am truly sorry, I thought I was done with stupid questions. I don't understand. What is a 20% 3-point shooter take the game-winning shot from behind the arc mean? I believe that Balrog is talking about Texas Hold`em. Pretty sure actually. Is it golf?

I don't think, at this point that Donald Trump will continue to be be president of the United States. I am furious though with the other conservative leaders for hitching their wagon to his. Sorry, there is so much of liberal polotics that I don't belive in. Urr.. guess there is not much of conservative polotics that I believe in either. Kay, I don't actually believe in polotics anymore, but this will hurt conservatives for years. Scary. I wish everyone could see how much both sides are needed. I didn't know that before, probably the one thing that I will thank Donald Trump for,.

Except this time I don't just lose $20 on a sports bet or a a 95% odds-in-my-favor bet on a $20 no-limit Texas Hold-em tourney with my buds. This shit is for real. Losing on a poker bet isn't even close in this case.

Don't even think my vote for. Biden is any indication of my future vote. However, unless the GOP. changes, it may very will be for a very long time before I switch back. You all have seen my views for a Hell of a long time in this forum so you can realize the agony this decision is costing me. Fuck it, I'm doing what's right until the GOP allows me to vote their way again.
    @_Nightfall_

You don't have to stop being conservative, but you may have to stop voting Republican for awhile. I've resigned myself to this fate. You don't have to agree with the opposition when your viewpoint isn't represented by your party. Look as it as a wake-up call to the folks who pretend to represent you while you don't agree with the person they chose to represent them. It's a temporary setback to stop a catastrophe...

Like doesn't even begin to express now much I agree with this. Thank you for putting it into words.
    edited October 2020
    Extremists have hijacked the Republican party. If you are not an extremist you should not support this party right now.
    edited October 2020
    Extremists have hijacked the Republican party. If you are not an extremist you should not support this party right now.

The Democratic party is perilously close to the same fate, however. When you only have two parties, the fringes decide the fate of elections. Fuck both the fringes. It's time for a party of the non-insane. How about a party of realists instead of morons? Sign me up!

Edit: I could figure out a working government with the farthest to the left of you folks without sacrificing all of my ideals. It would require a give and take, however. That's beyond the capacity of the pricks that supposedly represent us, though. Why is that? Because they don't want to fucking represent the people. That would take them actually taking a stand that might not get them reelected. They're not supposed to fucking care about that. They're supposed represent us, not their fucking re-election chances...
    Here's a current list of people to with Covid19, most of whom got it from the Amy Covid Barrett Superspreader event where almost no one wore a mask:

1. Donald Trump - President
    2. Melania Trump - First Lady
    3. Hope Hicks - Trump Senior Council, former Trump WH communications director
    4. Ronna McDaniel - RNC chair
    5. Mike Lee (R, UT)] https://www.axios.com/mike-lee-coronavirus-test-positive-8a6f251b-8d7b-4922-9d52-6d1eaaf76364.html
    6. Rev. John Jenkins - president of the University of Notre Dame (attended SCOTUS nomination at Rose Garden https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/attendees-scotus-nomination-rose-garden-test-positive-covid/story?id=73391378))
    7. Two unnamed journalists and one unnamed WH staffer https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/media/three-white-house-journalists-test-positive-for-coronavirus-after-closely-covering-trump/2020/10/02/c907f1c4-04f5-11eb-b7ed-141dd88560ea_story.html
    8. ^
    9. ^
    10. Michael D. Shear https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/media/three-white-house-journalists-test-positive-for-coronavirus-after-closely-covering-trump/2020/10/02/c907f1c4-04f5-11eb-b7ed-141dd88560ea_story.html - WH correspondent for NYT
    11. Thom Tillis (R, NC) https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/519443-gop-sen-thom-tillis-tests-positive-for-coronavirus - At WH on Sat
    12. Kellyanne Conway https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/02/politics/kellyanne-conway-positive-for-covid-19/index.html - Former White House counselor, attended Rose Garden event
    13. Kellyanne Conway's Daughter
    14. Bill Stepien - Trump Campaign Managerhttps://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/02/trump-campaign-manager-tests-positive-for-covid-19-425722
    15. Ron Johnson (R, WI) http://wkow.com/2020/10/03/senator-ron-johnson-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/
    16. Chris Christie
    https ://www.cnn.com/2020/10/03/politics/chris-christie-coronavirus/index.html - Former Republican NJ Gov. Helped prepare Trump for debate.
    17. Nick Luna - Trump Aide https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-04/trump-aide-luna-tests-positive-for-virus-in-new-white-house-case
    18. Kayleigh McEnany - WH Press Secretary https://www.cnbc.com/2020/10/05/trump-press-secretary-kayleigh-mcenany-tests-positive-for-coronavirus.html
    19. Chad Gilmartin https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/05/politics/kayleigh-mcenany-coronavirus-white-house/index.html - Deputy to Press Secretary
    20. Karoline Leavitt https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/05/politics/kayleigh-mcenany-coronavirus-white-house/index.html - Deputy to Press Secretary
    21. Greg Laurie https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/10/trump-quarantines-after-aide-hicks-tests-positive-for-covid.html) - Pastor at Harvest Christian Fellowship, attended Rose Garden event
    22. Jayna McCarron https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-military-aide-jayna-mccarron-and-valet-test-positive-for-covid-19?ref=home - Trump's military aid for Coast Guard
    23. Unnamed https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-military-aide-jayna-mccarron-and-valet-test-positive-for-covid-19?ref=home - Active duty military valet to the president
    24. Salud Carbajal (D-CA) https://www.independent.com/2020/10/05/rep-carbajal-exposed-to-covid-by-sen-lee/ - After exposed to COVID-positive senator Mike Lee (R-UT)
    25. Al Drago https ://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/10/02/us/politics/trump-contact-tracing-covid.html - Photojournalist at Rose Garden event
    26. Charles W. Ray https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/10/02/us/politics/trump-contact-tracing-covid.html - U.S. Coast Guard admiral
    27. Harrison W. Fields https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/10/02/us/politics/trump-contact-tracing-covid.html - Assistant Press Secretary
    28. Jalen Drummond https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/519876-fourth-white-house-press-aide-tests-positive-for-covid-19 - Assistant Press Secretary
    29. Stephen Miller https://www.axios.com/stephen-miller-tests-positive-coronavirus-0ba1ac28-66ec-47b6-a341-abd7057128d7.html - WH senior adviser, white supremacist

Fore more in-depth tracing, here's some alternative sources:

NYT Tracing
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/10/02/us/politics/trump-contact-tracing-covid.html

Wikipedia
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_House_COVID-19_outbreak

Graph by Peter Walker
    https://public.tableau.com/profile/peter.james.walker#!/vizhome/COVID-19attheWhiteHouse-ContactTracking/ByEvent

- Additionally, Rudy Giuliani, who along with covid positive Chris Christie also helped Trump prep for the debate also maskless almost certainly has Coronavirus as well. Watch the video here if you can stand it:

https://www.thedailybeast.com/rudy-giuliani-coughs-through-attack-on-bidens-mask-advocacy

- George Conway, Lincoln Project co-founder husband and father of Covid positive people (wife, daughter) has it I am pretty sure as well.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I can't help but wonder if any of the treatment Trump is on comes with an advisory along the lines of : "Do not drive a car, operate heavy machinery or run a country while taking this medication".
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @_Nightfall_

You don't have to stop being conservative, but you may have to stop voting Republican for awhile. I've resigned myself to this fate. You don't have to agree with the opposition when your viewpoint isn't represented by your party. Look at it as a wake-up call to the folks who pretend to represent you while you don't agree with the person they chose to represent you. It's a temporary setback to stop a catastrophe...

You can also become an independant. I bounced from Republican to Libertarian to considering Democratic, before I decided that no party actually represents me very well at all.

I'm actually kind of glad this is the case, to be honest. I don't care about the parties in any way beyond how good I think the candidate will be for the country. It makes party bias less of an issue for me.
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    edited October 2020
    I think it is much better to be independent and open minded. I am broadly left leaning and liberal but if my preferred party gets taken over by conmen and extremists I’ll have to think again. Every party has its share of troublemakers (though the conversatives have much more than their share) and can change for the worse very fast.

I would very much like for some system of PR to be adopted so that my vote can count and politics is not dominated by two parties that have recently been pushed to the far right and left respectively by a small number of radicals. This would allow new parties to gain relevance and new ideas to be adopted, with parties like the Liberal Democrat’s and the Greens having influence according to their vote share. Why should one party be able to have a large majority and an absolute mandate to govern with 35% of the vote? I know so many people who want anyone in power but the Tories.

The events of recent years have changed the thinking of a lot of people that would have once voted for the same party for life.

The last election in the U.K. was a nightmare, as the two main parties leaders were dreadful - I had to make a very difficult vote based upon who I thought would most effectively oppose Brexit (that turned out well). The country was crying out for a sensible middle of the road option - it would have been nice to pick between Trump and Biden (although Biden is hardly perfect)!
    edited October 2020
    The very fact that Biden has made it a central point of his campaign that he would be a President for everyone regardless of whether they voted for him, and Trump so clearly only cares about states (and people) that went red in 2016 is, quite honestly, enough on it's own. I am talking about things as fundamental as disaster relief.
    “Stop playing politics with people’s lives.” Hard to believe ANYONE from the Trump administration would have the courage to say that. Someone should slap him for nothing other than being an idiot. Grr!
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,655
    I think it's funny that Pence can defend Trump better than he can defend himself.
    edited October 2020
    “Our land and air are cleaner than any time ever recorded.” Huh?

Second star to the right and straight on till morning, that is how you get to Neverland Mike. “Never smile at a crocodile, Never tip your hat and stay to talk a while, Don’t be taken in by his welcoming grin, He’s imagining how well you fit within his skin.”

Sorry I mixed that up for effect, but is only a swap of two lines. The line in there is actually, “No, you can’t get friendly with a crocodile.” Instead of never tip your hat, you get the point though right?
    Post edited by Michelle on
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,447
    I got up in time to catch a bit of the vice-presidential debate. It was nice to hear something more akin to a debate rather than a playground argument ...
    edited October 2020
    No VP debate has ever made an ounce of difference, this one was a wash, and won't do a single thing to alter the race. That said, my god Mike Pence is a smarmy asshole.

Susan Page constantly let Pence go over his time, or (once again) interrupt Harris. It'd be interesting to see the gender gap on polls of this one. Harris had to tell Pence at least half a dozen times it was her turn to speak. If you think women don't viscerally understand what that's like, I don't know what to tell you.

That said, this will be forgotten in 24 hours. Lloyd Benson cleaned Dan Quayle's clock in 1988 and they lost about 40 states anyway.

But Pence's swine flu talking point is insane. You know why?? Because most people couldn't even tell you what YEAR the swine flu outbreak took place in. Everyone alive in 2020 will tell you as long as they live it was possibly the most chaotic year of their lives.

CNN instant poll has Harris winning 59%-38%, which is, to be honest, a larger margin than I would have anticipated (I would have guessed Harris winning by 4 or 5, basically marginally). Pence's answers on COVID-19 were absurd, and his tactics (while nowhere near as obnoxious as Trump) still came off as rude.

It doesn't matter what topic they try to flip things to. They can't spin the discussion away from pandemic. To even have a 1% dent in the polls, Pence would have had to mop the floor, and you just seems like the animatronic syncophant that he is. He is REALLY effective at repeating right-wing talking points without getting phased (he is, after all, a former talk radio host), but the public doesn't care anymore.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,655
    I like how both of them handled themselves. Could do with a bit less bickering, but it is miles apart from what we see from contemporary politics.
    edited October 2020
    The gender gap was exactly as I expected in the CNN poll. Harris won women by 39 pts, and she won men by only 2 pts. That pretty much sums up the electorate as a whole right now. Women are running away from Trump at warp speed, and while Trump is still holding onto men, he isn't holding onto them NEARLY at the percentages he did in 2016. We need to remember that Trump had NO margin for error to repeat his electoral map last time. The gender gap alone is erasing that margin for error multiple times over. Republicans have a serious, serious problem with female voters of all socio-economic status, colors, and creeds, and it may be something that haunts them for generations.