Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Trump's infected now and he's not behaving any differently. He's still intentionally "downplaying the virus" which is a euphemism meaning he's lying about the virus.

He knows it's deadly. He knows it's dangerous. He's choosing to act this way. He doesn't give a damn about yours or my grandparents or anyone else on planet Earth.

He is putting people's lives in danger right now. He's contagious right now. He knows this. He does not care. I almost feel a little bad for the people who have to work in the White House who will get sick and pass it on to their families.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    edited October 2020

I post the tweet, because the article is behind a paywall. But the graphic from the tweet tells the basic story. Trump and the White House are flat out lying about what a positive diagnosis means. These people are so desperate to declare victory in the short term that they simply do not care about consequences even as little as a week ahead.

As I said before about Herman Cain, the timeline of an infection is much, much longer than four or so days. The worst is almost certainly to come for Trump -- and every other person infected for that matter.
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited October 2020
    DinoDin wrote: »

I post the tweet, because the article is behind a paywall. But the graphic from the tweet tells the basic story. Trump and the White House are flat out lying about what a positive diagnosis means. These people are so desperate to declare victory in the short term that they simply do not care about consequences even as little as a week ahead.

As I said before about Herman Cain, the timeline of an infection is much, much longer than four or so days. The worst is almost certainly to come for Trump -- and every other person infected for that matter.

You do not get this virus and get the all clear in 72 hours, as if it's out of your system and the game is won. This is, in almost every case I have ever heard of, a two-week ordeal at a minimum if you are symptomatic. Many people who have survived will tell you they are still having lingering issues six months later with their breathing. Death is one thing this virus can result in, but it's far from the only thing. It fluctuates, it's symptoms are often far worse at night, and there is absolutely not predicting what it will do in that 14 day time-frame. But Trump sure as shit is not "immune" after 3 days as he suggested tonight.

I read plenty of tweets from people who had COVID-19 or other respiratory ailments who watched Trump's labored breathing on that video on the balcony. They recognized it instantly. That man was struggling to breath despite being pumped full of every possible known therapy for the last 72 hours. Reporting is indicating he insisted he had to get out of the hospital, against the doctor's suggestions, and apparently even Don Jr. thinks his father is acting crazy. They have him on dexamethasone. It's a steroid, and it's probably the only reason he is even able to stand up for 5 minutes.

Some people are convinced he never had it all and this was all a PR stunt for sympathy and distraction. I think it's far more likely the only person he is trying to hoodwink is himself. I think he's scared shitless and is trying to will it away like he seemingly does everything else.
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    I thought the risk can be greater in the second week in his circumstances (old and obese) - much better to stay in hospital until the boost of the drugs wears off and the high risk phase is over
    edited October 2020
    CNN has Biden up 16. I've never seen a poll with that margin. A Monmouth poll that had Biden up 4 in PA a month ago now has him up 12. Extreme?? Maybe. But just as likely people were giving him one last chance at the debate, hated what they saw, and then have witnessed this virus debacle where the White House currently has more active cases than the entire country of Vietnam. I think people are well and truly done with him. If the polling is off THAT much, then we won't ever be able to use it going forward. The biggest takeaway is Biden up 21 with seniors. Biden up 5 with seniors is bad for Trump. Biden up 20+ is an absolute landslide. And is it REALLY so hard to believe the group most at risk to the virus has turned on him in this fashion??
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    CNN has Biden up 16. I've never seen a poll with that margin. A Monmouth poll that had Biden up 4 in PA a month ago now has him up 12. Extreme?? Maybe. But just as likely people were giving him one last chance at the debate, hated what they saw, and then have witnessed this virus debacle where the White House currently has more active cases than the entire country of Vietnam. I think people are well and truly done with him. If the polling is off THAT much, then we won't ever be able to use it going forward. The biggest takeaway is Biden up 21 with seniors. Biden up 5 with seniors is bad for Trump. Biden up 20+ is an absolute landslide. And is it REALLY so hard to believe the group most at risk to the virus has turned on him in this fashion??

The writing is on the wall. I still think it's likely there will be some manner of tightening of the race over the next 3 weeks. However, there's an absolute world of difference between tightening down from 6 to 4 or 5, and then having a few polling errors deliver you the EC vs being down by 10+ and tightening to 8.

As of right now, if the polls were off by as much as in 2016 (only an average polling miss), Biden still wins 300+ EVs
    edited October 2020

The writing is on the wall. I still think it's likely there will be some manner of tightening of the race over the next 3 weeks. However, there's an absolute world of difference between tightening down from 6 to 4 or 5, and then having a few polling errors deliver you the EC vs being down by 10+ and tightening to 8.

As of right now, if the polls were off by as much as in 2016 (only an average polling miss), Biden still wins 300+ EVs

Trump's argument for contesting the election is also going to rest on how close it is in how many states. If Biden wins by 1-2% in WI, PA and MI, Trump is going to go to the mattresses. If on election night Florida and Ohio are called for Biden, he can scream all he wants, but it won't do any good. The surest way to sink Trump's chances of sabotaging the results in the aftermath is to make the result so overwhelming that any attempts to do so will be met with mockery. If Trump loses AZ and one of either FL or OH in addition to the Rust Belt states that put him over the top in 2016, I really doubt even court challenges would matter. The Republican Party would be looking at people taking to the streets if that were to happen.

It's up to them how long they want to be in the wilderness if that happens. In a just world, half a century, but if they abandon Trump, they could conceivably easily take back Congress in 2022 (because that nearly always happens). If they go to mat against the wishes of the overwhelming percentage of the populace, they will only last as long as their already fading demographic numbers will allow them to.

In the event of a Trump loss, the inevitable disavowing of Trump by these Senators and Congressmen should also be met with mockery, as it simply didn't exist in the four years where it actually meant something. There is an argument to be made that Trump is not psychologically capable of being anything other than what he is. But people like Ted Cruz, Lindsey Graham, Susan Collins etc etc etc ALL knew better, and went along for the ride anyway.
    edited October 2020
    Trump has now, for reasons beyond understanding, said any stimulus talk is off the table until after the election. It's time to maybe come to grips with the fact that he may not actually be that gifted as a politician. It's just that he was running against someone alot of people hated just as much. He can basically write people checks 3 weeks out and is saying "naw, I'm good where I am."

The Pence team is now saying they object to the plexiglass barrier between him and Harris at the debate. Fine, don't like it, don't show. It's astonishing they still think the public is on their side on this issue. This is the most isolated, up it's own ass White House I have ever seen. Eventually, it gets that way to an extent for everyone, but these guys seem to think the median voter is glued to OANN 12 hours a day.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited October 2020
    This is the most isolated, up it's own ass White House I have ever seen. Eventually, it gets that way to an extent for everyone, but these guys seem to think the median voter is glued to OANN 12 hours a day.

No, they think the average voter is glued to QAnon 12 hours a day...
    edited October 2020
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    This is the most isolated, up it's own ass White House I have ever seen. Eventually, it gets that way to an extent for everyone, but these guys seem to think the median voter is glued to OANN 12 hours a day.

No, they think the average voter is glued to QAnon 12 hours a day...

Trump's closing pitch to the public is:

1.) Double-down on "just the flu"

2.) Strut like a peacock after getting out of the hospital, essentially mocking every family who had a loved one die.

3.) Give yourself 100% ownership of stalled stimulus by announcing you are canceling negotiations when no one was even really asking the question given the events of the weekend.

He might as well take a cheese-grater to his nuts while he's at it. Couldn't be any stupider than what he is currently throwing out there.

There is a certain amount of confirmation bias on left-wing social media, but Joe Biden doesn't pay much if any attention to it. Trump has personally been CONSUMED by right-wing confirmation bias:

• WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited October 2020

What a dumb move. Trump bucks were a universal positive in his favor. He should have tried to ram them through. Holding off to try to increase turnout is not only unethical, it is going to backfire.

There are about a half dozen right wing twitter accounts that I trust in terms of sourcing and analysis. I imagine it's the same for the left. Quality is always in the minority.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,570
    Yeah, it's become obvious now that Trump is pretty much a guy who spends all his waking hours scrolling through social media and/or watching cable news.

What a dumb move. Trump bucks were a universal positive in his favor. He should have tried to ram them through. Holding off to try to increase turnout is not only unethical, it is going to backfire.

There are about a half dozen right wing twitter accounts that I trust in terms of sourcing and analysis. I imagine it's the same for the left. Quality is always in the minority.

IIRC, you were *very* upset during the first stimulus negotiations over the Democrats holding off for about 3 days to make a better deal. I'd be curious to know what your frustration levels are to hear the president kill this stimulus for over a month.
    DinoDin wrote: »
    Yeah, it's become obvious now that Trump is pretty much a guy who spends all his waking hours scrolling through social media and/or watching cable news.

Yeah. There's no way he's doing this unless he think it helps him, and someone somehow convinced him of that.

It's actually all very reminiscent of when he shut down the government and loudly took credit for it, because he thought people wanted that.
    IIRC, you were *very* upset during the first stimulus negotiations over the Democrats holding off for about 3 days to make a better deal. I'd be curious to know what your frustration levels are to hear the president kill this stimulus for over a month.

To be fair, a good bit of that was the fact that corona lost me my job, and while I usually don't live paycheck to paycheck, I was at that time. To be faced with the very real prospect of not being able to provide for the people in your care through no fault of your own, while the government does nothing, is enough to get you pretty pissed. It wasn't partisan so much as personal.

It's hard to be mad when you expect something to happen. It's more like disappointing.

To be fair, a good bit of that was the fact that corona lost me my job, and while I usually don't live paycheck to paycheck, I was at that time. To be faced with the very real prospect of not being able to provide for the people in your care through no fault of your own, while the government does nothing, is enough to get you pretty pissed. It wasn't partisan so much as personal.

It's hard to be mad when you expect something to happen. It's more like disappointing.

Fair - and I didnt mean any of that to say you were being partisan (at the time, or now). I was just curious because I remember you having the most direct response to the stimulus hold up at the time.
    edited October 2020
    It almost seems it's an attempt at blackmail of the voters. "Put me back in or you get nothing." I mean, does he actually think this is going to work?? Biden even pulled even with him on the economy in the polls today. He isn't leading on a SINGLE issue. This might honestly be the drugs talking.

We all knew this wasn't going anywhere, but if he would have just kept his mouth shut this wouldn't even be the 10th biggest story of the day. Now, it's on A1.
    It almost seems it's an attempt at blackmail of the voters. "Put me back in or you get nothing." I mean, does he actually think this is going to work?? Biden even pulled even with him on the economy in the polls today. He isn't leading on a SINGLE issue. This might honestly be the drugs talking.

We all knew this wasn't going anywhere, but if he would have just kept his mouth shut this wouldn't even be the 10th biggest story of the day. Now, it's on A1.

If Trump loses, he's going to throw the biggest hissie fit since the days of monarchy. I honestly don't think he listens to anybody. I sincerely doubt any advisor whispered in his ear that any of this shit he's pulled from the debate on was a good idea. Having said that, Michigan Republicans are following him down the rabbit hole to Wonderland now. This could be a historic meltdown for the Republican Party and it's going to fuel the conspiracy theory batshit crazies like we haven't seen in decades, maybe even centuries...
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

If Trump loses, he's going to throw the biggest hissie fit since the days of monarchy. I honestly don't think he listens to anybody. I sincerely doubt any advisor whispered in his ear that any of this shit he's pulled from the debate on was a good idea. Having said that, Michigan Republicans are following him down the rabbit hole to Wonderland now. This could be a historic meltdown for the Republican Party and it's going to fuel the conspiracy theory batshit crazies like we haven't seen in decades, maybe even centuries...

Trump thinks he won the first debate. Trump thinks there are polls that back this claim up. Everyone around him is terrified of telling him he failed because they know he'll can them.

Gone are the days of having people around attempting to control him. Gone are the people who would attempt to steer him in the right direction, or away from his impulses. It's Trump and yes men.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Its a sad state of affairs when our only hope anything reminiscent of a smooth transition is if Trump dies of COVID shortly after losing the election...
    deltago wrote: »

Trump thinks he won the first debate. Trump thinks there are polls that back this claim up. Everyone around him is terrified of telling him he failed because they know he'll can them.

Gone are the days of having people around attempting to control him. Gone are the people who would attempt to steer him in the right direction, or away from his impulses. It's Trump and yes men.

Even my sister, who would still vote for Trump and call 'fake news' if Trump held a human sacrifice on the White House lawn and dedicated himself to Satan, thought Trump did terrible in that debate.
    edited October 2020

Even my sister, who would still vote for Trump and call 'fake news' if Trump held a human sacrifice on the White House lawn and dedicated himself to Satan, thought Trump did terrible in that debate.

If Trump wins at this point, like I mentioned previously, there is little point to analyzing politics at all afterwards. It's not JUST the numbers. This does not feel like a situation where an incumbent can survive, nevermind one who is losing his marbles. Everyday I see stories about early-voting options opening up, and in every one the lines are around the block. That doesn't feel to me like people going to bat for Trump. It feels like people who cannot wait even one more minute to play their part in getting him out. Don't underestimate the exhaustion factor this guy has inflicted on the populace. Biden winning would be like hitting your mattress after a 16 hour factory shift. All you want is the bliss of silence and rest.

Most people aren't this forum. They don't want to think about politics anymore than they absolutely have to. Sad, but true. Avoiding Donald Trump is impossible for even 12 hours. Joe Biden will likely fade into the background for weeks at a time. It's why "Sleepy Joe" and "Biden is hiding in the basement" didn't resonate outside the hardcore base. Most people probably heard it and said "gee, that sounds kinda nice."

The underlying numbers in these polls are ridiculous. Way over +30% with suburban women. +20% with seniors, and more importantly, Biden is now approaching the margin of error with white men (down only 5%). Where is the path to victory if that holds??
    edited October 2020

If Trump wins at this point, like I mentioned previously, there is little point to analyzing politics at all afterwards. It's not JUST the numbers. This does not feel like a situation where an incumbent can survive, nevermind one who is losing his marbles. Everyday I see stories about early-voting options opening up, and in every one the lines are around the block. That doesn't feel to me like people going to bat for Trump. It feels like people who cannot wait even one more minute to play their part in getting him out. Don't underestimate the exhaustion factor this guy has inflicted on the populace. Biden winning would be like hitting your mattress after a 16 hour factory shift. All you want is the bliss of silence and rest.

Most people aren't this forum. They don't want to think about politics anymore than they absolutely have to. Sad, but true. Avoiding Donald Trump is impossible for even 12 hours. Joe Biden will likely fade into the background for weeks at a time. It's why "Sleepy Joe" and "Biden is hiding in the basement" didn't resonate outside the hardcore base. Most people probably heard it and said "gee, that sounds kinda nice."

The underlying numbers in these polls are ridiculous. Way over +30% with suburban women. +20% with seniors, and more importantly, Biden is now approaching the margin of error with white men (down only 5%). Where is the path to victory if that holds??

I totally agree. Yet I still can't help feeling that Trump still has a chance. It's like he's in my brain now. I'm not a conspiracy theorist by any means, but I totally will be if Trump somehow pulls something out of his ass and wins this election...
  • MichelleMichelle Member Posts: 549
    The man is a street fighter, just on different streets than you or I are used to, don’t turn your back on him. That being said he has had a tendency to implode, so who knows what is going on. I think what has surprised me most the last 4 years is not him, but his diehard supporters. I did not know that we had the makings of a Hitler Germany here today.

I don’t understand what mattresses are all about. I consider myself a ummm... at least semi intelligent human being and every time someone brings up mattresses I start to question that. What is up with the mattresses?! Am I a mental deficient or are you speaking in some obscure code? Please explain the mattresses!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    I 100% don't think Trump CAN win this election...legitimately. I feel like there's a decent chance the administration will go all out with voter fraud and supression. The only reason I'm saying "half decent" is because I can't see them diving so hard for someone who might legitimately be dying in the very near future. Maybe I'm being too optimistic that we are dealing with actual people.

The real question is, would they get away with it? With the state this country is in, I honestly have no idea. and That scares me more than a little.
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    I 100% don't think Trump CAN win this election...legitimately. I feel like there's a decent chance the administration will go all out with voter fraud and supression. The only reason I'm saying "half decent" is because I can't see them diving so hard for someone who might legitimately be dying in the very near future. Maybe I'm being too optimistic that we are dealing with actual people.

The real question is, would they get away with it? With the state this country is in, I honestly have no idea. and That scares me more than a little.

@ThacoBell
    I agree, and I'm a fucking conservative.

@_Nightfall_
    I have absolutely no idea what you're referring to about mattresses.
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    Don’t know but mattresses may refer to the expression “going to the mattresses”, when criminal gangs are in a state of warfare and so do not sleep with their families.

Trump is likely in the second week of his infection judging from the cocktail of meds he’s on. Given what we know of the possible long term cognitive effects of covid it’s highly questionable whether anyone who’s had it should be in a position of responsibility unsupervised. Then again, no one person should really have the capability to end most of the life on earth in an afternoon.
    Either this race has already been decided for Biden, or every poll imaginable is wrong. I guess we will see which is the case. For my part, I call it for Biden.
    Surprising no one, reports are starting to emerge that the DOJ had some hardline directives for separation of mothers from their children at the border during this administration. We've always intuitively known this to be true, but it looks like there's more reporting that it was targeted and intentional.

That's all baked in, and wont make the nightly news in all likelihood, but I think we'll start seeing an avalanche of dirty laundry start to spring up in the next few months, particularly in Trump gets roasted in the election.
    edited October 2020
    Either this race has already been decided for Biden, or every poll imaginable is wrong. I guess we will see which is the case. For my part, I call it for Biden.

I mean, even if we assume they are wrong on the same level as 2016, Biden......still wins going away.

Trump is engaging in a tweet storm tonight, but the most interesting thing about it is that no one seems to care. It almost feels like the country moved on from him between the debate and the events of the weekend. He's making a ton of noise, but the act is as stale as the 350th show of a two-year residency in Vegas. It's hardly worth getting upset about at this point. He's coming across as pathetic, which may be the one thing he fears more than death.

As for the rational behind killing any stimulus, it feels like McConnell got to him. McConnell knows Trump is going down and his majority is all but lost at this point. His goal now to to make sure the Biden Administration is stillborn into as bad a situation as possible.