Skip to content

The Politics Thread

Comments

• jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited October 2018
    As I've been mentioning, this push by Trump and other GOP members running for re-election this year to pretend THEY are the party of of protecting pre-existing conditions is absolute lunacy. There is no GOP health plan to replace Obamacare and this provision. It doesn't exist. And they have been voting to destroy the ACA for the better part of a decade. Last year was a full-on assault saved by John McCain's thumb at the last second. It's like Burger King trying to rebrand itself as a health-food store. One of the most amazing aspects of this Trump-era is the GOP denying things that are so obviously true, to the point where they even seem to pretend they aren't in charge of every single branch of government. I mean seriously, Scott Walker is out there on the campaign trail in Wisconsin talking about how much he cares about protecting pre-existing conditions when he is literally party to a lawsuit that would strip them away. It's insane.
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @jjstraka34 He's not the only one. There are about 9 GOP lawmakers doing the same, who are all in on that lawsuit as well. It seems as if they think people are stupid and can't or won't remember history.
    edited October 2018
    4500 vote by mail applications go "missing" in Georgia. Kemp is just flat-out trying to steal the election before it even takes place. From the NY Times:

Fears of voter suppression were again ignited in Georgia on Thursday after state Democratic officials said that more than 4,700 vote-by-mail applications were missing in DeKalb County, one of Georgia’s most populous and liberal-leaning regions.

County officials acknowledged the missing applications in a phone conversation this week with Democratic voter protection officials, and pledged to call the thousands of voters to inform them of the error, according to multiple people familiar with the conversation.

A spokesman for the DeKalb County elections board would not confirm the details of the call. Sam Tillman, the chairman of the board, added that “there is no evidence that there are any missing or lost absentee ballot request forms.” He said of a list of 4,700 names provided by the Democratic officials, he could confirm that the county had only received 48 of the requests.

To vote in November, the voters caught in the discrepancy will have to re-request a ballot. The deadline for the state to send an absentee ballot to a voter is Nov. 2. The state also has in-person early voting until Nov. 2. Democratic Party officials are worried that some voters who had requested the vote-by-mail applications are out of state, away at college or cannot leave their homes, and cannot vote in person.

There is NO benefit of the doubt that should afforded to election officials in this State. Even before these recent allegations, this is the state where the the hard drive with voter information was wiped just in time for it not to be used in court.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

4500 vote by mail applications go "missing" in Georgia. Kemp is just flat-out trying to steal the election before it even takes place. From the NY Times:

Fears of voter suppression were again ignited in Georgia on Thursday after state Democratic officials said that more than 4,700 vote-by-mail applications were missing in DeKalb County, one of Georgia’s most populous and liberal-leaning regions.

County officials acknowledged the missing applications in a phone conversation this week with Democratic voter protection officials, and pledged to call the thousands of voters to inform them of the error, according to multiple people familiar with the conversation.

A spokesman for the DeKalb County elections board would not confirm the details of the call. Sam Tillman, the chairman of the board, added that “there is no evidence that there are any missing or lost absentee ballot request forms.” He said of a list of 4,700 names provided by the Democratic officials, he could confirm that the county had only received 48 of the requests.

To vote in November, the voters caught in the discrepancy will have to re-request a ballot. The deadline for the state to send an absentee ballot to a voter is Nov. 2. The state also has in-person early voting until Nov. 2. Democratic Party officials are worried that some voters who had requested the vote-by-mail applications are out of state, away at college or cannot leave their homes, and cannot vote in person.

There is NO benefit of the doubt that should afforded to election officials in this State. Even before these recent allegations, this is the state where the the hard drive with voter information was wiped just in time for it not to be used in court.

I’d be scared to revote.

I wouldn’t put it past them to have those missing votes magically appear on election night to be counted and everyone who revoted would be hauled in for voter fraud two months from now, just in time for everyone to forget they went missing in the first place.

Headline “Hundreds of cases of voter fraud in Georgia - Trump asks for a national review”
    edited October 2018
    deltago said:

I’d be scared to revote.

I wouldn’t put it past them to have those missing votes magically appear on election night to be counted and everyone who revoted would be hauled in for voter fraud two months from now, just in time for everyone to forget they went missing in the first place.

Headline “Hundreds of cases of voter fraud in Georgia - Trump asks for a national review”

Excellent point. Never even thought of this angle.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903

I remember that scandal. I'm shocked that nothing ever came of it. They flat-out destroyed evidence before a court date. It's still ongoing.

I'm calling it. Kemp is rigging the election.
    edited October 2018

I remember that scandal. I'm shocked that nothing ever came of it. They flat-out destroyed evidence before a court date. It's still ongoing.

I'm calling it. Kemp is rigging the election.
    I'm hoping Abrams can still pull it out, but if Kemp wins by 1 or 2% , it's not like people haven't been sounding the alarm bell weeks beforehand, so saying it would just be "sour grapes" is not going to play in this case. It all depends on the margins in both cases, but if both the GA Governor's race and ND Senate race are 2 to 3% victories for Republicans, I'm going to have trouble recognizing those results are legitimate at this point. Not that my opinion matters, but we have seen concrete evidence of MORE than enough voter suppression in both races to account for narrow Republican wins.

At this point, I'm half expecting something really untoward to occur on Election Day, maybe all across the country. Whether it's a problem with our machines, voter intimidation, refusal to let certain people vote, etc etc etc. I'm sure there are going to be scores of reports on the ground of these things happening. There always is, but I'm honestly starting to feel that Republicans are starting to turn to flat-out cheating and election rigging because they don't think they can beat the demographics.

And we have already had reports in the last few days that if Democrats narrowly take the House (the Senate remains a pipe dream), Trump is going to just flat-out start insinuating that the results aren't valid, and that it would be because of massive voter fraud. We KNOW this is what is going to happen.

Lo and behold, we now have stories from both Republican AND Democratic voters in Texas that there votes are just flat-out being changed. We need to ditch all electronic voting machines. I have no faith in this process anymore. None. From ABC13 in Texas:

Voters are reporting odd problems on both the Republican and Democratic side of straight-party voting in Texas.

Mickey Blake was one of the voters in those early voting lines in Houston earlier this week. "I hit straight Democratic ticket," Blake said. She says she expected all Democrats to come up on her screen, especially Rep. Beto O'Rourke, but when she got to the last screen to review her choices, she noticed a problem. "It's all Democratic except for Ted Cruz was checked," Blake said. So she backed up and did it again. And again."I tried it a third time and the same thing happened," she said.

The same thing happened to Cordell Hosea in Fort Bend County."When I got to the end, I just so happened that I glanced at the screen, I saw Ted Cruz was selected as my senator," Hosea said. He too voted straight ticket Democrat.

But it's not just a Democrat problem. Voters who select straight-party Republican unselect Sen. Cruz and wind up voting for no one. Either way, officials say it's a rare issue that happens, but not to everyone. It's popped up across Texas often enough for the Secretary of State to put up a statewide advisory on Monday to every Texas election advisor. The Secretary of State calls it 'operator error.'
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    edited October 2018
    "This has been a problem for years."

I bet this problem would be fixed REALLY FUCKING FAST if it was picking the DEMOCRATIC Senator when doing a straight REPUBLICAN ticket vote.

Also, a video from a Houston ABC news team said that 70% of Texans vote straight ticket.

Personally, I've never voted straight ticket, I want to go through every single name in every single position.

Furthermore, if this HAS been going on for YEARS, why is this just now news? Is is JUST the Senatorial race? Was Wendy Davis' loss 4 years ago legitimate?
    Post edited by Quickblade on
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited October 2018
    How can anyone have faith in free elections in red States?

It would seem they don't give a damn about democracy only power.

The only way to restore faith is for these Republican election criminals to go to prison.
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
    "officials say it's a rare issue that happens, but not to everyone."

ya, this problem doesn't happen to everyone, just people who vote straight Democratic. It's an 'operating error' in the fact that they can't see how awesome Cruz is so we fix it for them.
    edited October 2018
    Two more packages. Now Cory Booker and James Clapper. Again, every single target has the exact same thing in common, without exception. Critics of Trump who are attacked incessantly by the President and right-wing media. My guess is that Dianne Feinstein, Kamala Harris and James Comey are the next names we'll hear. Meanwhile, the President is up at 3am tweeting in self-pity because he is being treated "unfairly" by the media.

Conservative media as mainstream as Rush Limbaugh and FOX News have been casually pushing the "false flag" theory for the last 24 hours. It doesn't much matter that Alex Jones is no longer on YouTube. The whole party has become Alex Jones. I half expect Trump to embrace the false flag theory by the end of the business day.

As for the functional nature of the bombs, the update I read last night on all of them was that at the very least, the Soros bomb WAS destroyed in a controlled detonation, so there is no reason to think these bombs aren't, at the very least, possibly capable of going off under the right circumstances.

Edit: My prediction of Trump embracing the false flag theory by the end of the business day was WAY off. It didn't even take him another 45 minutes:

There is no other way to read this. The word "bomb" is in quotes. The President of the United States is explicitly writing off an ONGOING domestic terrorist attack on the country as a hoax because he doesn't think it benefits him in the realm of public perception. This country is going to a dark place, and fast. This is so goddamn predictable at this point. Any journalist or TV pundit who praised him and Sarah Sanders for their initial "response" on Wednesday should be ashamed of themselves. There has never been a time when he hasn't reverted to his true nature within 12-24 hours. He simply cannot control himself. He's Eddie Haskel in every one of these situations.

Let's play another round of "What if Obama had done it". In this case, let's say that a day after, oh I don't know, the Ft. Hood shooting, Obama had implied that it was all a conservative plot to make him look bad. What do you imagine would have happened to his Presidency (or more accurately, what would have been left of his Presidency ten seconds after saying it, because it wouldn't have been long for this earth)??
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
    He can say anything in a scripted speech he wants. That's not the real him. His voice sounds almost completely lifeless when he reads a speech someone else wrote for him. When he tweets and what he says at rallies? That's the REAL Donald Trump. No pity for anyone but himself. Attacks everywhere. Moaning about how unfair the media is to him. He acts like a four year old banging his fists on the table and screaming if he can't get his way. Hurling insults. He even claimed he has "100 plus" pictures of James Comey and Robert Muller hugging and kissing each other.

It's like he's screaming "OOOH! GAY MEN COOTIES!" at the top of his lungs. I find all so very sickening.
    LadyRhian said:

He even claimed he has "100 plus" pictures of James Comey and Robert Muller hugging and kissing each other.

It's like he's screaming "OOOH! GAY MEN COOTIES!" at the top of his lungs. I find all so very sickening.

Can we get a source for this?

LadyRhian said:

He even claimed he has "100 plus" pictures of James Comey and Robert Muller hugging and kissing each other.

Can we get a source for this?
    Daily Caller https://dailycaller.com/2018/09/05/full-transcript-trump-daily-caller-interview/
    The FBI has arrested a man in Florida for the recent bombing attempts. They'll hold a press conference at 2:30 ET.
    edited October 2018
    Post edited by smeagolheart on
    I really wished they used the word “deplorable” instead of “dispictable” when describing the bombing.

One for the irony and deplorable’s meaning matches better than dispictable.
    edited October 2018
    Guess that false-flag narrative is shot all to shit at this point. In the end, he is, quite literally, a MAGABomber. I mean, I figured we'd see connections, but I didn't anticipate the guy would have a white van with pictures of liberal figures with crosshairs on them. Good lord. And hey, I've only been warning this is the inevitable result of Trump's rhetoric for the last 2 years, so what do I know. And we damn well know if the shoe was on the other foot and some deranged nutcase had Obama stickers plastered all over his van after committing terrorism, those on the right would be making the EXACT same argument. Only that never happened because Obama didn't encourage violence against his political rivals and name them enemies of the people. Maybe folks will wake up now, but I doubt it.

And don't came to me with this BS about the softball shooter being a Bernie supporter unless you can point out a single instance where Sanders advocated violence like Trump has.

Guess that false-flag narrative is shot all to shit at this point. In the end, he is, quite literally, a MAGABomber. I mean, I figured we'd see connections, but I didn't anticipate the guy would have a white van with pictures of liberal figures with crosshairs on them. Good lord. And hey, I've only been warning this is the inevitable result of Trump's rhetoric for the last 2 years, so what do I know. And we damn well know if the shoe was on the other foot and some deranged nutcase had Obama stickers plastered all over his van after committing terrorism, those on the right would be making the EXACT same argument. Only that never happened because Obama didn't encourage violence against his political rivals and name them enemies of the people. Maybe folks will wake up now, but I doubt it.

What are you talking about? The Deep State in the FBI obviously set this guy up once everyone got wise to their tactics. He’s innocent until proven guilty but that isn’t going to stop the lying media from parading him around as some deplorable we should all be scared of.

Yep, still spinable.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    This guy's too pathetic to be truly scary. Sorry, but he seems to be a few apples short of a bushel.

And don't came to me with this BS about the softball shooter being a Bernie supporter unless you can point out a single instance where Sanders advocated violence like Trump has.

Jeff Goldblum voice: Trump will find a way
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I swear... the state election placards are getting each time sillier and sillier in Germany. And don't get me even started with those of the Nationaldemokratische Partei Deutschlands... they even used theirs from last time again.

In other news, both the Christian Union and the Sozialdemokratische Partei Deutschlands are at their lowest in history. The Greens could even become the new major party on the 28th.
    edited October 2018
    I'd like to point out something that may be missed here. When Trump was tweeting out the implication the bombs were hoax or false flag this morning at around 9 central time, it is INCONCEIVABLE that he hadn't already been briefed on the suspect being apprehended. Meaning he knew it was bullshit while he was saying it. The man is purposefully creating a dangerous land of make-believe for his followers, and he is doing it on purpose.

Moreover, let me just say that the issue here besides Trump is that FOX News and AM radio have destroyed the Republican Party. Even @Balrog99 can attest to this with his own family members.
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659

I swear... the state election placards are getting each time sillier and sillier in Germany. And don't get me even started with those of the Nationaldemokratische Partei Deutschlands... they even used theirs from last time again.

In other news, both the Christian Union and the Sozialdemokratische Partei Deutschlands are at their lowest in history. The Greens could even become the new major party on the 28th.

Germany is in an interesting place right now, politically. I dont think political norms in the US necessarily apply to Germany, but we usually see a "fatigue factor" when one party has held the executive branch for 8 years. Merkel has been Chancellor for 13 years. Looking at Wikipedia, Helmut Kohl was Chancellor for longer (16 years), but I guess that was split across the reunification of Germany - probably not a standard case.

A non CDU or SPD Germany will be an interesting development
    edited October 2018
    More news drops...

Man Who Racially Abused Black Woman On Airplane: It Was ‘Just A Fit Of Temper’

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ryanair-racist-apologize-temper_us_5bd2d470e4b0a8f17ef63c6f?fbclid=IwAR2sVzFgyLTA43lFQgd2EWS12ApetYKeS8PQvwkNnGFaiGcwfpKKryvaZ_s

GOP Candidate Normalizes Pedophilia Because The Bible

This one made me literally sick to my stomach, not figuratively. :P
    http://www.patheos.com/blogs/progressivesecularhumanist/2018/06/gop-candidate-normalizes-pedophilia-because-the-bible/?fbclid=IwAR0TAz22nmj1qTYOFeqiGgENOWR-o804QQVpRtUUyfzHWbVVz-P4eelafi0

Florida man to be charged over mail bombs; Booker, Clapper latest to be sent packages

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/suspicious-package-addressed-sen-cory-booker-found-florida-n924776?fbclid=IwAR3flp1-x3BIaSJkhhImdhEoYlgJCxE-XFH57rOinbOHiUx_nEVLl_-693E

Why Stripping U.S. Citizens of Their Passports Is a Precursor to Genocide

https://www.harpersbazaar.com/culture/politics/a23010174/stripping-american-citizens-passports-genocide/?fbclid=IwAR1NUq__qen_FU8vft9nmfqn_TXgCOFDTdAwWSmc63TnVgBD7wcinSMgQ9c

Voters report Texas voting machines changing straight-party selections

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/413320-voters-report-texas-voting-machines-changing-straight-party-selections?fbclid=IwAR04_pOCoET3uzlDG2_u0Jcr4eTarsh84Y00CNIt65z4x-jFlvo70jySSUw

Trump’s job approval rating drops 3 points in NPR poll

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/413275-trumps-job-approval-rating-dips?amp&fbclid=IwAR3j96EAr7DizAjUL25ylPsKU9738UMgRcL3ZypuNVqow6pEXRB9nNKHexE

'Be part of the solution': San Francisco techies urge industry to help homeless

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/26/prop-c-tech-workers-san-francisco-homeless?CMP=share_btn_tw&fbclid=IwAR0fJaP57xMxYtP9GonwG7NkXs8FuQCxjscRaTCqlLRIno8phZ1ZEosdk1A
    This one is good news.
    Just got this one, which might be of interest to @deltago

EXCLUSIVE: Stats Canada requesting banking information of 500,000 Canadians without their knowledge

https://globalnews.ca/news/4599953/exclusive-stats-canada-requesting-banking-information-of-500000-canadians-without-their-knowledge/?utm_source=notification/
    edited October 2018

The FBI has released this preliminary sketch of the MAGAbomber.

I didn't realize this would literally be accurate lol.