Skip to content

Aura cleansed - what does it mean?

Like the title says, what does having your 'aura cleansed' mean?

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Got born again?
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    Thanks @AstroBryGuy

It’s one of those things I’ve seen mentioned a lot and I was never sure what people were talking about.

Did you used to get an aura cleansed message when you dropped something from your inventory or am I misremembering that?
  • QuickbladeQuickblade Member Posts: 957
    In my 3e/3.5e tabletop group, we let people cast as many spells as their BAB allowed. Sounds overpowered, but the real threat was physical damage.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391

The reason for the phrase "aura cleansed" lies in the description for Daer'Ragh's Aura Cleansing, a spell that was originally intended to be put into BG1 before it was scrapped, presumably due to being overpowered. The idea was that the delay between spells (in reality, just an engine feature) was because a mage's "aura" got clouded up when casting spells, and that spells couldn't be cast when the aura was clouded because of magical interference. The aura cleansing spell cleared up a mage's aura, allowing him or her to cast spells without delays between them.

Daer'Ragh's Aura Cleansing never showed up in-game, but the "aura cleansed" message remained.

Was this spell basically just Improved Alacrity? Or is there some difference I'm not grasping?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

The reason for the phrase "aura cleansed" lies in the description for Daer'Ragh's Aura Cleansing, a spell that was originally intended to be put into BG1 before it was scrapped, presumably due to being overpowered. The idea was that the delay between spells (in reality, just an engine feature) was because a mage's "aura" got clouded up when casting spells, and that spells couldn't be cast when the aura was clouded because of magical interference. The aura cleansing spell cleared up a mage's aura, allowing him or her to cast spells without delays between them.

Daer'Ragh's Aura Cleansing never showed up in-game, but the "aura cleansed" message remained.

You get a message???
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    in the original game there is the spell Daer'Ragh's Aura Cleansing, even if there are no scrolls to memorize it. i did have my mages learn it trough shadowkeeper and it and ROV are probably the most OP thing a mage can have.

the Daer'Ragh name came from the family name of one of the original developers that is slightly altered.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    you can actually fight Daer'Ragh in game, he summons a bunch of those fire pheonix guard thingies, not much XP for the fight, but its a fun little scruff up
  • ChidojuanChidojuan Member Posts: 211
    Dark Side of the Sword Coast has it as a scroll you can scribe and cast. My favorite tactic with a Cleric/Mage was to cast Daer'Ragh's Aura Cleansing, then Stoneskin, then walk into a group of enemy's and cast Holy Smite over and over. Super fun.