Skip to content

Pathfinder:Kingmaker Minimal and No Reload Thread (spoilers, obviously)

1234568»

Comments

• DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    So long as you've recruited the companion, you can put them in advisor role, they don't have to be in the party with you. If you're playing with only active party members get XP, you'll really want to do the projects to level them up in the kingdom interface. Their stat rating as an advisor is based off an attribute (different attribute for each advisor role), so slap gear on them to boost the appropriate attribute and when leveling them up put points into that attribute.

Here's where you can find what attribute affects each advisor type.
    https://pathfinderkingmaker.gamepedia.com/Advisors

Don't scroll past the positions if you don't want spoilers about where to find the advisors.
    bleusteel
  • bleusteelbleusteel Member Posts: 523
    Has anyone tried to do the Sepulchre puzzle with summons or animal companions instead of NPCs? If not, I can’t really think of a way to get past this Ch3 puzzle in a solo run...is 3 the smallest party that can make it all the way through?
  • billy_pilgrimbilly_pilgrim Member Posts: 132
    edited January 2021
    Hey guys, I've been playing PF:KM on hard no-reload. I've started streaming my many deaths in Aldori mansion, if you're interested drop by, say hi, and tell me what I'm doing wrong. I've played this game a lot but it has been a while, I think I forgot how often I saved scummed for certain checks! For example not getting the traps at Olegs has proved to be deadly for several characters.

I am playing with a party, and allowing myself 1 merc because, well.. the companions don't have the greatest stats/feat choices. Valerie is the big exception ofcourse, she's my favourite companion for this kind of run as she's always solid and has so many different ways to build her. Anyway, I'll be streaming on twitch and youtube if you guys are interested! I will always attribute the builds I use to the creators of them, if applicable. I will also be making some build videos of my own down the line!

youtube:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZpu3uNHVegvNUlLPplaFfg

I suggest youtube as it has better quality!

Happy hunting and try to avoid rolling that 1!
    JuliusBorisov
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Playing as a dhampir pact wizard(races unleashed + call of the wild). Any way to stop my Azata minions from casting heal on me? And damaging me?
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Some screenshots

huDoMCq.jpg

dqrc50v.jpg

1tLyEJW.jpg

6PWdw9H.jpg

HNz2ZUw.jpg

L08nxEg.jpg

mn68ykz.jpg

As usual, I don't like "dungeons & kobolds" low level, so I put on story mode for the ch 1 till Stag Lord and face him with circle 4 magic. Only started the "no reload" run on chapter 2. Animate dead on Call of the Wild works differently and more like P&P which I loved. Call of the Wild also adds some new spells like Stop Time, Freezing Sphere and so on. Was a very cool run to variate things and I also created a Draconic companion druid.

Only had to reload when Played with Amiri, since no XP share and an at moment after the Pitax tournament.
    DinoDin
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    Hey everyone! A surprise! I'm going to roll with it, at least until it's still fun for me. There is a chance I'll burn out before finishing the game (because the first-time impressions are still fresh for me), but we'll see.

The aim is to minimize combat reloads to the minimum and count deaths (or death doors).

Meet Lucia, a human Eldritch Scoundrel.
    64etu28250t9.jpg
    46vqbac8ku6s.jpg

Difficulty settings I'm playing at.
    tevxoard4y4d.jpg

I multiclassed the companions a bit, leaving only Harrim and Octavia without changes.
    zvhmmagcp9us.jpg
    dh2lhdz80vlf.jpg
    coq7leh63gx4.jpg

I have to admit, new classes and their feats - so far - really change how the game feels, how long the fights last, how hard it is. Here, a party which just recently reached the 3rd level, handled the worg pack without any problems.
    i7hppdbsxjkr.jpg
    9qupjebrp0de.jpg
    fcdo4sv7kf7x.jpg
    49a6k6vq6aah.jpg
    DinoDinSerg_BlackStriderbleusteel
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,713
    edited September 2021
    Now then, something really exciting. I killed the freakin Viscount Smoulderburn with a lvl 4 party, after just dealing with Tartuk! I've been dreaming about this for a LONG time, ever since my first ever encounter with this laughing skull. How did I do that?

But before that, our first Death Door - it happened because the Tremendous Centipede's Poison reduced Regongar's DEX to 0.
    jlwrashtxb6l.jpg
    rz3owtwcjzhw.jpg

We were careful during the rest of that cave's encounters, though.
    nu5bkvm14o8u.jpg

Tartuk was an interesting fight - I tried a strategy I developed myself: Expeditious Retreat on the main (pre-buff), quick run to the mage/archer, attack or a sneak attack (due to a really high Initiative, thanks to DEX and +4 Initiative feat) and then another attack of opportunity. Amiri's reach weapon + Octavia's sneak shots supported this attempt. Tartuk died, he hasn't even finished the very first casting of his infamous fireballs.
    hcqv6jr5p3j9.jpg
    jgvgcf89dabc.jpg

So, the ambush. The plan was to use a wand of True Strike by both Octavia and the main character, tossing it around, while Valerie held the line and kept healing.
    n3dbp7d5lbb6.jpg
    ik872xsd6zb0.jpg
    5jsrpz6oc9q1.jpg
    d0pbjjz40ska.jpg

I'm so fond of the Eldritch Scoundrel subclass. I read a lot of bad criticism about the subclass around the net, but I wouldn't swap magic buffs and Use Magic Device for more stable damage from sneak attacks. These buffs help with survivability a lot - for example, Invisibility (so far, "Vanish") spells.
    DinoDinSerg_BlackStriderbleusteel
    Feeling lucky, I decided to take on the infamous rats, still being only lvl 4. And you know what? This party did it. Yes, 5 characters got to the Death Door status but they did it. The main troublemaker ran out of his bombs, Octavia managed to shoot him down from stealth, and then the rest of the party joined in.
    ia1xe72judp4.jpg
    26abp2z9kmd7.jpg
    uujry0q1yy6p.jpg
    z6llgoeuv780.jpg

I wouldn't recommend handling them on lvl 4 if you're playing without reloads, but this is a min-reload run and I felt ready to experiment. The dice smiled upon me.

The next Death Door involved Regongar during the Silent Pack encounter, but other than that, the party did alright.
    y7aoqf1r8e1l.jpg

I try to limit resting in the capital (or Oleg's trading post), so I continued to the Boggards' area with the Death Door status.

Common boggards were a bit troublesome and Octavia suffered. These additional risks (of losing Octavia and Reg and thus needing to spend a lot of cash) made me play more cautiously.
    6ffrxkcuzmds.jpg

So I proceeded anyway and enjoyed finally using the Web spell by Octavia (a specialized spell for her). When the big boss could get out of webs, Grease (a specialized spell for Regongar) kicked in. Amiri got a very huge crit here. Harrim also got a spotlight with his Boneshaker.
    um93u5noifjn.jpg
    y3xgqyrdwho5.jpg
    j2nx8xdgpcjh.jpg
    d55sez3q6ud5.jpg
    5obpkpb5xajq.jpg
    6pa08mbxssr7.jpg

I've been enjoying the extend and reach rods (extend for spells like Enlarge/Reduce Person and Blur, reach allows Reg to Shock Touch enemies from afar, or, for example, cast Grease from a longer distance), and touch spells by my rogue. I found out touch spells work as sneak attacks when she hits.

I've cleared all the side areas and I'm ready to go for the Stag Lord now (still have 45 days on the timer left).

Party lvl: 5
    Death Doors: 7
    Deaths: 0
    Combat Reloads: 0
    Serg_BlackStriderbleusteel
    Stag Lord was easy. Even while one of his troops sounded the alarm, we dealt with the bandit quickly and effectively. And his father, the druid, was finished in 2 hits - one was from Boneshaker and another was from a 65 damage crit by Amiri. So much for this family.

Oh, for the owlbear - I decided to roll with the dice. I couldn't calm it down but Lucia quietly finished the poor animal without any pain.
    zrq1f94rpzl8.jpg
    csoyu2p1rz1y.jpg
    11u8kvcmf0nd.jpg
    75o0c0uex675.jpg
    goxiurveu3y1.jpg
    Serg_BlackStriderGrimjackMV
    Playing a stealthy character has its own perks. Here is Lucia stealing from Crag Linnorm.
    5ir86653i5qi.jpg

Lake Silverstep Village provided what I would call the first serious challenge for the party: nereids, hydras and just other enemies there can quickly send your characters flying. Amiri got the Death Door status fighting one of the first nymphs.

We witnessed the biggest crit damage yet from an enemy:
    ol2s4v0pvoql.jpg

Lucia tried to cast Vanish there - lesson learned, from now she'll be using a wand or a potion for that purpose.

That said, the cyclop himself wasn't a big threat, and a horde of the undead (thanks to the empower rod) dealt with it.
    3pmc5zs3am0x.jpg
    qgmaryrmkjfm.jpg
    fsjp3g8artd7.jpg
    hhft3zs7kged.jpg

If there was a hard fight, then it was a fight against a nereid. We used everything we could, and in the end, Regongar, under the Vanish from the wand, kited the enemy water elemental (with Acrobatics + Haste), and everyone used potions of Enlarge/Reduce Person.
    s7rbma8awmh0.jpg
    i8ftbc38i7k7.jpg
    xba2pea7my1g.jpg
    5vm0oz1n5cuq.jpg
    uyvyn9wcrofh.jpg
    rf9swe5q03ub.jpg

Our first "dragon" wasn't difficult. The undead horde handled its first attacks and we quickly finished him off.
    g8ddy9o2q37b.jpg
    mze8x84vtw9q.jpg

Party lvl: 6
    Death Doors: 9
    Serg_BlackStrider
  • GrimjackMVGrimjackMV Member Posts: 151
    edited October 2021
    The Rules:

Core Rules

Minimal Reloads

The Episodes:

Pathfinder: Kingmaker

DM Wyvern Plays Pathfinder: Kingmaker (Imperial Edition) - Episode 4

DM Wyvern Plays Pathfinder: Kingmaker (Imperial Edition) - Episode 3

DM Wyvern Streams Pathfinder: Kingmaker (Imperial Edition) - Episode 2!

DM Wyvern Plays Pathfinder: Kingmaker (Imperial Edition) - Episode 1!

Post edited by GrimjackMV on
    mlneveseJuliusBorisov
    I kept exploring areas I could reach instead of doing kingdom management tasks (the real part of Chapter 2 starts in 41 days after getting the barony, that's A LOT of time). The reward didn't wait too long to arrive: the party reached lvl 7 (!) - if the player starts the Chapter as "intended" and spends 2 weeks on adding another region to their barony and then another 2 weeks on training one of their advisors - they can find a lvl 5 party trying not to miss on a timer with the troll invasion to be a bit difficult to manage. This is a massive difference, and I mean not only levels, but also items I've found in those areas, including a +2 glaive, a +4 CON belt, a +1 saves lucky ring etc.

Of course, it wasn't easy. I would say that I risked a reload in the fight vs Torpor The Great Nightmare. I would name these factors key for the encounter:
    - the first sneak attack from stealth with True Strike by Lucia (with a ranged weapon) inflicted Bewildering Injury;
    - the undead summons distracted the horse for 1 round;
    - Magic Missile spam by Regongar and Octavia;
    - True Strike (Reg's Magus spells) and then devastating damage with a two-handed weapon;
    - disabling fighting defensively for Valerie.

The horse still got Lucia with its insane fire damage but we won.
    axepxlr1xbqo.jpg
    82bon9ruvcma.jpg
    g6874aqiqef7.jpg
    zdra01ug8wmb.jpg
    132uwd64fapu.jpg

A Poisonous Giant Flytrap (960 XP compared to Torpor's 240!) was much easier. Amiri got a nice crit for 92 damage!
    k8u9kf2qnjj3.jpg

The spider mine wasn't dangerous, we just had to be careful around not getting Lucia poisoned.
    2d1tkcvw1ddo.jpg

A lonely Ancient Wyvern brought us the much-needed 7th level (and thus lvl 4 spells for Harrim).
    gqwmf7elubiy.jpg

Now I finally felt confident regarding dealing with high-level enemies in the Lonely Barrow.
    u02h0vetoiyo.jpg
    4f976nhcdmu5.jpg
    y9spoza0okbm.jpg

Party lvl: 7
    Death Doors: 10
    DinoDinSerg_BlackStrider
    Join me for my Livestream of Pathfinder: Kingmaker (Imperial Edition) - Episode 3 (Turn Based!)
    JuliusBorisov
    edited September 2021
    We had our closest call yet - actually, I would say I got really lucky there, and this fight is probably not reliably winnable on lvl 7. I'm pushing the boundaries right now really hard, - this area brought bracers +5 to the party. +5! While the best bracers we've had have been only +1. No wonder the enemy, a Dweomerlion, is so strong. Its every attempt to hit didn't miss, it hits too quickly, and its hits dispelled our buffs.

I used all the summons I could before the battle, hasted them during Round 1 in combat. The Grease you can see on the screenshots also was pre-casted before the combat. Unfortunately, it didn't work.

I knew I couldn't use magic during the fight (or it would have activated its teleporting, and sayonara my casters) and we just persisted until the end, losing summons, then losing party members. In the very end, our damage just barely - I would say barely-ish - outscored theirs. Reg's orcish trait to last 1 extra round after getting to 0 health really helped here. I can't see how I could do this fight, say, with a wizard as the main character, at this stage of the game.
    0ku905czbyq5.jpg
    xxlkc4496pry.jpg
    6uo7fwf5adtn.jpg
    sps4whfuqkk0.jpg
    drgbg78umfr6.jpg
    gzx3fbh6ys41.jpg
    am2wf5ivnn7a.jpg

Party lvl: 7
    Death Doors: 13
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    GrimjackMVbleusteel
    Wisps are not a big problem when you still have your buffs on. Rest more often, and you'll be fine.

We finished the spider invasion and helped Kaessi. After killing another monster for Amiri, the group reached the 8th level. 8th level. Before the Baldhill event was truly over.
    gu8r994bcl9d.jpg
    oagu9oegpapq.jpg
    xcg917bdtqwb.jpg
    1ihbj18pmk25.jpg
    067ayacy0550.jpg

I enjoyed using new spells (such as Fear) against Greater Enraged Owlbears and the Scythe Tree. It was fun to see several rays by one Scorching Ray cast inflicting sneak damage. No death doors, yay.

Also, Amiri got 6 hits in one second. You just love to see it.
    y3ubobcspjgj.jpg
    mv6l6itxnkp8.jpg
    61ojvcdggbet.jpg
    5qapfh7wroyz.jpg
    iwp75563a4a0.jpg
    0y183cfhf5y5.jpg
    ftkmaljn5bai.jpg

Party lvl: 8
    DinoDinGrimjackMV
    Wisps are not a big problem when you still have your buffs on. Rest more often, and you'll be fine.

We finished the spider invasion and helped Kaessi. After killing another monster for Amiri, the group reached the 8th level. 8th level. Before the Baldhill event was truly over.
    gu8r994bcl9d.jpg
    oagu9oegpapq.jpg
    xcg917bdtqwb.jpg
    1ihbj18pmk25.jpg
    067ayacy0550.jpg

I enjoyed using new spells (such as Fear) against Greater Enraged Owlbears and the Scythe Tree. It was fun to see several rays by one Scorching Ray cast inflicting sneak damage. No death doors, yay.

Also, Amiri got 6 hits in one second. You just love to see it.
    y3ubobcspjgj.jpg
    mv6l6itxnkp8.jpg
    61ojvcdggbet.jpg
    5qapfh7wroyz.jpg
    iwp75563a4a0.jpg
    0y183cfhf5y5.jpg
    ftkmaljn5bai.jpg

Party lvl: 8

Wish you would record video / stream your LP!

JuliusBorisov
    Join me for my Livestream of Pathfinder: Kingmaker (Imperial Edition) - Episode 4 (Turn Based!)

Catch the rest of the Let's Play here:

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/1177888/#Comment_1177888
    JuliusBorisov
    Join me for my Livestream Pathfinder: Kingmaker (Imperial Edition) - Episode 5!
    JuliusBorisov
    Join me for my Livestream of Pathfinder: Kingmaker (Imperial Edition) - Episode 6!
    JuliusBorisov
  • alice_ashpoolalice_ashpool Member Posts: 261
    For your powergaming viewer pleasure, an almost fool proof ironman method for the prologue on Unfair