Skip to content

Baldur's Gate III released into Early Access

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    My computer crashed and I lost everything I written about the articles, so I will boil it down to this:

The Game Master mode and co-op effectively let you play a tabletop RPG on your PC, but even when you're playing alone it can still feel like you're doing so under the gaze of a Dungeon Master, hoping they'll let you try this brilliant new idea you've come up with. The sheer variety of systems and Larian's willingness to let players bend or occasionally break the game leaves so much room for ingenuity. Vincke loves to talk about players solving conundrums in ways Larian had never even considered, and it's exactly like listening to a proud Dungeon Master gush about their party.
    Baldur's Gate 3 will similarly give players lots of tools and then let them have at it. "We'll stay true to our roots," says Vincke, "so we'll give players lots of systems, and lots of agency to use these systems and try to accomplish what you need to on your adventure. That's not going to change; that's the core of what we're doing."

If there is a DM mode where everyone can create their own adventures, and it is easy to use and get into. All will be forgiven.
    BallpointMandunbarArcalian
  • BallpointManBallpointMan Member Posts: 1,659
    Chronicler wrote: »

@BallpointMan could you tell me where this is referenced?

Yeah. It's in the video here (short video, and its towards the beginning)

https://www.gamespot.com/videos/baldurs-gate-3-announcement-trailer-breakdown-east/2300-6449730/

It's around the 50 second mark, I think.
    Chronicler
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited June 2019
    They've been slowly introducing tidbits of spelljammer into 5E. Like the Giff, Neogi, and (most recently) a spelljamming helm (in Dungeon of the Mad Mage)
    edited June 2019
    @ThacoBell From the Larian Forums:

Hello Developers for the upcoming new Baldur's Gate game! You guys rock for doing this! I actually have a request regarding the Protagonist, the legendary Bhaalspawn from the previous games.

It would be neat if Wizards of the Coast will allow this, but it would be so awesome as a easter egg if we could find the Tomb where he is laid to rest in Baldur's Gate City. Yes I'm going by the books and the books are a somewhat different from the games, but the only thing to note from the books is the few key scenes from the final end when Bhaal got resurrected, nothing else matters from the books (so basically tying the Player's versions of the events with the final end from the books). Would be a nice touch to show that the players of Baldur's Gate to find their previous character laid buried and honored as a hero if he didn't choose to become a god and you can find the Sword of Chaos inside his tomb.

OR alternatively if such a idea is not well recieved in this forum, maybe the Duke's Daughter from BG1 and Siege of Dragonspear? If you all played the game then you all know what happened. Reason I suggest this is because we believe BeamDog will not have this plot point resolved, and it would be a good chance for Larian Studios to tie up a very loose end from Siege of Dragonspear.

EDIT:

I forgot one thing, but if you all do end up doing it then it would be cool to hear "The Stage is Set" when you find the tomb from the BG1 OST.

This is why beamdog isn't tying it up. It's going to be a plot point in Baldur's Gate III :p
    BallpointManThacoBellShadowdemonLudwig_II
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    but after 100 years it would not really matter anymore.
    ThacoBell
  • DrayenDrayen Member Posts: 127
    Wow, I was certain you guys would make BG3, it was a big surprise when I read it was gonna be someone else.
    ArcalianThacoBellShadowdemon
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    I sincerely hope this game only has about the same system requirements as D:OS2. I hope we aren't gonna be looking at a situation where everyone has to upgrade to a GTX1080 to play the game.
    dunbar
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    PsicoVic
  • nysinysi Member Posts: 60
    edited June 2019
    Those character (Either companion or important to fan and story) could still be alive .

Seen in neverwinter :
    - Minsc

Half-elve :
    - Jaheira
    - Neera

Elf :
    - Viconia
    - Coran
    - Xan
    - Kivan
    - Baeloth
    - Aerie
    - Solaufein

Dwarf :
    - Kagain
    - Korgan
    - Yeslick

Halfing
    - Alora
    - Mazzy

Gnome :
    - Jan
    - Quayle
    - Tiax
    - Glint

Aasimar :
    - Caelar

Tielfing :
    - Haerdalis

Vampire :
    - Hexxat

Dragon :
    - Adalon
    - Fierkragg (Is he canonically dead?)

Other companion should be dead, unless some plot like with minsc.

I hope some will make a cameo, even if possible as joinable NPC. Viconia, Minsc and Jaheira would be my preference. Hope for Caelar too; as a future campaign in baldur's gate is linked to Avernus
    How is Minsc still alive?
    ThacoBell
  • nysinysi Member Posts: 60
    edited June 2019
    From what I know, he was turn into a statue and turned to flesh again

I've found this on a site, talking about Heroes of Baldur's Gate campaign

Heroes of Baldur’s Gate has a section that shows which other companions from the video games may still be alive and well in the modern Realms (as most of them are elves). This is just an accounting of where these companions are in the Heroes of Baldur’s Gate module if you put the adventure into the modern Realms, not a reveal from Larian of what companions are in Baldur’s Gate III:

Coran
    Dynaheir
    Edwin the Red Wizard of Thay (life-extending magic!)
    Faldorn
    Imoen (a clone!)
    Jaheira
    Kagain (he’s a dwarf, another long-lived race)
    Kivan
    Xzar and his halfling friend (Xxar used necromancy!)
    Viconia
    Xan
    Post edited by nysi on
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

I....i...i don't know what to say. This is too beautiful to be true.
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    chimaera wrote: »
    I wonder whether they'll attempt something like the spell effects & environmental interactions system in D:OS. It'd make playing spellcasters so much more fun.
    I hope so!, also liked it. Larian´s developers hinted that yes, they do

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-06-05-its-true-divinity-studio-larian-is-making-baldurs-gate-3
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,174
    It will be interesting to see what comes out of it. Ten years ago, I would probably get hyped out of roof, but I've learned my lessons over time to stay calm about it. I would generaly recommend anyone not to have high expectations, or even not to have any expectations at all. It makes it much more likely that you won't be disappointed by the result and actually enjoy it.
    ArcalianBelgarathMTHGenderNihilismGirdle
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    edited June 2019
    Humour is fine but while the comical moments in Baldur’s Gate make me think Monty Python, Divinity makes me think Adam Sandler. I’ll need to give the games a good shot again to see if that mindset sticks but I don’t think people are saying Baldur’s Gate shouldn’t have lightheartedness, just that examples of Larians humour I’ve seen feel a bit more blunt or ill refined I guess?
    Cluas
    nysi wrote: »
    From what I know, he was turn into a statue and turned to flesh again

I've found this on a site, talking about Heroes of Baldur's Gate campaign

Heroes of Baldur’s Gate has a section that shows which other companions from the video games may still be alive and well in the modern Realms (as most of them are elves). This is just an accounting of where these companions are in the Heroes of Baldur’s Gate module if you put the adventure into the modern Realms, not a reveal from Larian of what companions are in Baldur’s Gate III:

Coran
    Dynaheir
    Edwin the Red Wizard of Thay (life-extending magic!)
    Faldorn
    Imoen (a clone!)
    Jaheira
    Kagain (he’s a dwarf, another long-lived race)
    Kivan
    Xzar and his halfling friend (Xxar used necromancy!)
    Viconia
    Xan

Dynaheir is just flat-out dead cannon-wise. This is indisputable. How exactly was that ret-conned?? I suppose I can live with Minsc and the whole being petrified and made flesh again, but a CLONE of Imoen?? Give me a break. Apparently, that source book is meant for you to make your own adventure between Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate 2. Except in the video game world, we already know what happened. It can't be changed. With Siege (which was licensed by WotC), it's even more defined. Yet we know this game is also going to be a tie-in with the upcoming module. So there seems to be a very real possibility here that stupid tie-ins to the current pen and paper campaign will override what Baldur's Gate ACTUALLY is, which is the most pure form of D&D in a VIDEO GAME context. Because if we end up having an Imoen clone as a companion in this game, I think my eyes are going to roll back so far in my head I'll never see again. That is just Star Wars: Dark Empire comic level stupidity.
    SjerrieThacoBell
  • DordledumDordledum Member Posts: 243
    I'm intrigued about the Google Stadia thing, so I could play it on my Chromebook.

Also wondering whether Larian will be thinking about branching out to consoles, just like Beamdog has been doing recently.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @subtledoctor About "no misses" - PoE 2 when introduced the TB mode also removed misses, leaving only grazes, hits and critical hits. Larian didn't say they are removing dice rolls at all.

Maybe they will just turn "misses" into "grazes", or something.

This is from the patch notes for PoE 2:
    Characters will Graze on attack rolls of 1-49 in Turn-Based mode instead of 25-49.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,295
    @subtledoctor About "no misses" - PoE 2 when introduced the TB mode also removed misses, leaving only grazes, hits and critical hits. Larian didn't say they are removing dice rolls at all.

Maybe they will just turn "misses" into "grazes", or something.

This is from the patch notes for PoE 2:
    Characters will Graze on attack rolls of 1-49 in Turn-Based mode instead of 25-49.

True, though whether this is a good change is a completely different questions. I am not a fan of the "no miss" rule for 2 reasons:
    1. There are still plenty of games, both turn-based and real-times where you can miss and that are a commercial success. In XCOM it has even become a meme where players make jokes and brag about the time one of the squad members missed a 99% hit chance shot.
    2. To-hit roles are one of the central mechanisms in D&D. There is no way to abolish them without altering all sorts of other D&D mechanisms, like how armors works, how protective spells work, how the boni from magic weapons work, what you get from levelling up, etc.

I also question a bit about the corollaries they draw from that. If missing is not considered fun, is attacking and not doing any damage also considered not fun? That would mean that there are no really effective defensive spells around.
    BallpointManThacoBellLudwig_II
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    CHA 18.
    INT 18.
    anastiel
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • hybridialhybridial Member Posts: 291

Yeah I remember the odd bits of silliness in the BG games, but here's the thing, I'd call the BG games 95% serious, 5% silliness; this is a tolerable balance.

Original Sin 1 and 2 were just weird with it, like somewhere at 40/60 and it got particularly jarring in the second game where the mean spiritedness of parts of it kinda were worse than anything Baldur's Gate did, but then the game refused to really acknowledge it, there was so little actual bleakness despite scenes that, well I know its an abused term, but really edgelord stuff. It lacked focus, it lacked direction, Baldur's Gate didn't lack for that, and these arguments don't hold water.

Now the teaser does suggest they might do better but its not the only thing they have to do right and the talking of open world and not using any system that's going to be recognisable as D&D still makes me think this game is going to be something I don't want to play.

I'd prefer less patronising arguments from twitter :P

kanisatha
  • OSIKESOSIKES Member Posts: 2
    I played 20 minutes of DDOS and promptly lit my computer on fire.

I have ABSOLUTELY NO hope for a good BG3 from Larian Studios.
    BeamDog must be pretty confident they wont make a trash game since they have decent enough artists.

Mentioning Noober is not the equivalent to hiding under a rock when hiding in shadows.

Glad I dont participate in social media like twitter.
    ArcalianCluas
  • ArcalianArcalian Member Posts: 359
    This may very well be a good game. That is entirely possible. I am less concerned than some others here with what rule system or combat style is used. And the potential Game Master mode interests me.

I just don't--really don't!--see how this game can be called Baldur's Gate 3 legitimiately.

you could call it Baldur's Gate: The Illithid Invasion. Or Baldur's Gate: The Mind Flayer Attack. Or "Hey, here's this new game that uses that Baldur's Gate city as it's setting!" or "More the successor to Baldur's Gate than any of those Dragon Age 'spiritual successor' games."

But I really don't see it being a legitimate Baldur's Gate 3. Calling it that is purely a marketing gimmick.
    ThacoBellCluas
    edited June 2019
    What exactly is it about the first 20 minutes of Divinity: Original Sin that people find so objectionable?? You wash up on the beach, run into a corpse that is a nod to the guy who falls out of the sky when you first leave Seyda Neen in Morrowind, and if you care to explore the whole beach, you'll have a fascinating encounter with a talking clam. You then have a perfectly reasonable tutorial fight, followed by an equally engaging tutorial dungeon, at which time you are arrive in town to solve a murder mystery. What about this sequence of events is "light your computer on fire" bad?? The first 20 minutes of Baldur's Gate involves killing rats and walking in a circle doing fetch quests while killing two low-level assassins. It's literally "go get my book, go get my potion, go get my sword, go get me some crossbow bolts, go retrieve my spell scroll". It's five fetch quests. Are people THAT blinded by nostalgia?? There is nothing wrong at all with this sequence of events, but to say the first 20 minutes of Divinity: Original Sin makes you want to destroy your computer and the Candlekeep portion of BG1 doesn't is just bizarre.
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    What exactly is it about the first 20 minutes of Divinity: Original Sin that people find so objectionable?? You wash up on the beach, run into a corpse that is a nod to the guy who falls out of the sky when you first leave Seyda Neen in Morrowind, and if you care to explore the whole beach, you'll have a fascinating encounter with a talking clam. You then have a perfectly reasonable tutorial fight, followed by an equally engaging tutorial dungeon, at which time you are arrive in town to solve a murder mystery. What about this sequence of events is "light your computer on fire" bad?? The first 20 minutes of Baldur's Gate involves killing rats and walking in a circle doing fetch quests while killing two low-level assassins. It's literally "go get my book, go get my potion, go get my sword, go get me some crossbow bolts, go retrieve my spell scroll". It's five fetch quests. Are people THAT blinded by nostalgia?? There is nothing wrong at all with this sequence of events, but to say the first 20 minutes of Divinity: Original Sin makes you want to destroy your computer and the Candlekeep portion of BG1 doesn't is just bizarre.

I mentioned some of the issues I had with it in the old thread up to meeting the legionnaire captain.
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    deltago wrote: »
    How can a game have a “rich narrative” while also giving the player “unparalleled freedom.”

A ton of well-written but optional side quests, some of which may have a larger or minor effect on other side quests or the "main quest", which you forgot about because you got so engrossed in those side-quests? ;)
    The Spelljammer campaign setting is basically a sword & sorcery space opera set in the Material Plane. You could theoretically travel from Abeir to Toril on a spacecraft. In contrast Planescape featured dimensions and planes of existance. They were pretty distinct settings.

Yeah. When described like that, it sounds enjoyable. I think my own issue is that I kind of prefer low-to-medium fantasy in general. Not everyone has magic. Not everyone fights dragons, etc

The idea of ships that can fly from Abeir to Toril requires a high-fantasy leap (I think) from me that I wasn't really ready to get into.

I always thought Abeir and Toril were worlds occupying the same place in a different dimension, not simply 2 planets in a solar system.

But yeah Spelljammer as a setting is a cool premise, I have just always felt it and the classic Forgotten Realms shouldn't be intertwined too strongly. For me personally it's the same with comics. Batman or the X-Men in space does not interest me as much. The world is big enough for tons of stories and adventures, no need to add space travel into the mix, especially for heroes that are literally and figuratively quite down to earth.
    1varangian wrote: »
    DAO animations are pretty sluggish and combat isn't reactive at all. No blocking or dodging. They just kind of stand there looping attack animations.

Did we play the same DA:O? Because I'm replaying it for the Nth time right now and I'd swear I can literally hear the clang of a metal on metal block...
    BallpointMan