Skip to content

Beamdog Community Questions for the Larian AMA (scheduled at March, 12)

JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,743
Let's keep this thread clean and clear. Post your questions in advance.

Larian will be hosting a Reddit AMA where you can ask Swen (Creative Director), David (Producer), Adam (Senior Writer), Nick (Lead Systems Designer), and Jiji (Writing Director) your questions. 11:00 PT on March 12, over on Reddit. I'll add the info about which subreddit it'll be later.

I remember how gathering questions in advance worked nicely for the Siege of Dragonspear AMA.

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    "Will the official modding tools allow the community to create a RTwP Mod (akin to what Pathfinder: Kingmaker saw with its own TB Mod) for BG3's base game campaign? For example: by applying a "reversed version" of that optional TB mode for sneaking / disarming traps and utilizing this then for combat instead?"
    --- A Baldur's Gate player

I would normally also ask how high the chances are for seeing an official solution to the problem at hand. Whenever within their Early Access phase or as post-release content. But given Swen's helming that team... I can already see the answer to that kind of question before it's even posted on that AMA.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited March 2020
    "What would you say makes this a sequel to BG2? How are the mechanics and story refined and polished from the previous title?"

"If you don't think 'sequel' is the right word to describe BG3, what was the reasoning behind the title choice?"

"How/if do you plan to resolve the contradiction that Bhaal is dead in BG2, but alive in 5e?"

"Why do you think you are the right choice for this project? I understand that you aren't a fan of the gameplay or were familiar with the story before taking on the project."

"What are your concerns for old school fans who are following the development of your project?"

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,317
    edited March 2020
    Will there be any recognition of the characters or events of Siege of Dragonspear?

(I'm just saying you have my permission to add in Daran Highhammer to the game if you want a quick tie in)
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    How much of a placeholder was the UI and graphics art in the gameplay shown at PAX. Will it change significantly during Early Access or should we expect it to stay more or less as it is in its current state?

Will there be any reference to the Twisted Rune plot that was barely scratched in BG2? We want more of badass liches in game!

Did you add any epic dragon encounters, like Firkraag or Shadow dragon in Umar Hills temple?

Do you plan to add subrace of elves, dwarves and halflings to the game? Do you plan to add human subrace as well?

Is there a chance that item descriptions would be as full of lore and awesome as in first two games? It is one of the little details that made BG1 and BG2 so awesome.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    What plans does Larian have to bring BG3's look and feel closer to the Baldur's Gate series (and away from the Divinity Original Sin series)?
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    I would like to know the level cap and plans for itemization - will loot rarity and attunement limits be per P&P?

Also, how are they planning to compensate for removing most reactions and short rests?

With group initiative are they concerned about alpha striking? How will they avoid battles being entirely decided by a single initial initiative roll?
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,327
    "Can you confirm if the party size limit is 4? Or if this is a variable number that can be adjusted?"

"For custom generated characters, what are the plans regarding voice acting? WIll the player be able to choose from an array of various types a la BG/NWN, or is it more of a fixed choice (e.g. male humans get one voice, female elves get one voice similar to Mass Effect/Jade Empire)? Or indeed, will custom characters even BE voiced for dialogue outside of standard combat/spell casting barks?"
    "What is your favorite element of the classic BG games?"
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Ok:

Question #1: Uncle Scratchy is concerned about that lack of turnip peddling merchants and their ilk populating the Forgotten Realms. It reminded me of the time when the twins, Tat and Tot had a flumph riding race and the damn things were just impossible to control, even with specially designed saddles made by the late Ben Jansen. Late as in he was never on time, not dead, he’s still alive and kicking but only with one leg because... the point? Where are the playable gnomes?

Question #2: Ceremorphosis was only guaranteed with a few humanoid races (usually only human sized ones). How is this going to be explained with shorter races available for player selection already revealed such as halflings and any others you might add (like gnomes dammit)?
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Will there be lorebooks present in BG3 as it were in both BG1 and BG2 (as well as in IWD)? It would be a very informative to players who don't know FR setting or who are not familiar with the events that happened between D&D editions. It would be great to see those "history books" that shed some lights on geography, events, places, characters that are present in Fearun 1490DR.
    Also:

"Are there romances? If yes, can we romance a mind flayer?" ;)
    Zaxares wrote: »
    Also:

Do, do they even have genders?
    Also:

The opening cinematic was a mind flayer professing its love for you.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited March 2020
    How many minds would a mind flayer flay if a mindflayer could flay minds?

(Since flay doesn't mean to control or warp)

But seriously:

Will the player be spending a lot of time dealing with the politics, threats, and affairs of Baldur's Gate and the Sword Coast? How much of Faerun will the player be exploring?

How closely are you sticking to 5th edition rules? What rules are you adapting to fit the gameplay you envisioned for Baldur's Gate 3? Will anything be a major difference from the rules?
  • kingnightkingnight Member Posts: 54
    No, we shouldn't ask question, we should request that the game can be chose between real-time and turn-base mode, that is the critical question that the BG fan base most concerning about.
  • DinoDinDinoDin Member Posts: 1,596
    I'm happy to play turn based but I am curious: When, during the design process, did they first decide on a combat mode? I have to imagine they weighed the options.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297
    kingnight wrote: »
    No, we shouldn't ask question, we should request that the game can be chose between real-time and turn-base mode, that is the critical question that the BG fan base most concerning about.

Not going to happen. If this is a deal breaker for you, only thing left to do is to vote with your wallet.

I would much prefer RTwP for BG as well but it would lose them at least as much buyers as it would win over.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,551
    Will the game be available in other languages?
    Ammar wrote: »
    With group initiative are they concerned about alpha striking? How will they avoid battles being entirely decided by a single initial initiative roll?

Since I'm not terribly familiar with 5E, this is also a concern of mine. Having one team take their actions and then the entire enemy team take their actions feels incredibly artificial. Are there any plans to factor in individual initiative rolls so that actions of enemies and allies are staggered? If multiplayer is a problem, perhaps an option to enable it or only have this in single player?
  • PsicoVicPsicoVic Member Posts: 868
    edited March 2020
    Is there any hope that we could see ritual casting, feats and multiclassing in BG3, as in D&D5e?

I read that BG3 will take inspiration in the adventures "Murder in BG" and "Descent into Avernus", can we expect some cameos of NPC of these modules? Are you going to take into account the different endings of this adventures as references in BG3?
    To be honest I already figured out months ago that they do not see the previous games as a font of inspiration to make BG3 after reading the interviews, so I wonder if they are going to use references to D&D adventures and mechanics at least like they stated in previous interviews
    Ammar wrote: »

Since I'm not terribly familiar with 5E, this is also a concern of mine. Having one team take their actions and then the entire enemy team take their actions feels incredibly artificial. Are there any plans to factor in individual initiative rolls so that actions of enemies and allies are staggered? If multiplayer is a problem, perhaps an option to enable it or only have this in single player?
    The XCOM games and MutantYearZero use that, and I can assure you that acting first is not that big of an issue when you move as a group. You can focus your fire and wipe out the big ones and casters with consecutive attacks in a single round. I do not know if it can translate to BG3, tho.
    XCOM is a different animal though that relies heavily on range attacks and a cover mechanic.

You are mostly moving your characters to cover, attempting to flank and removing cover from the opponent than determining which attack will do the most damage.

In BG3, from what I’ve seen, cover doesn’t play that significant of a role and, with team initiative it maybe easy for the winning team to bum rush the opponents wizard it other glass cannon before it has a chance to move.

This will lead to cheese balancing, when as you enter the places encounter their mage is going to be positioned behind obstacles already, while yours is going to be walking into a trap.
  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    Is any kind of multiplayer planned at release? If the game is turn based only it seems like there could be a lot of waiting around while the other players take their turns. What tricks have you got up your sleeves to keep turn-based multiplayer fun and interesting?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,743
    edited March 2020
    Let's keep this thread clean and clear. Post your questions in advance.

I removed all off-topic comments from this thread. You can find them here. Questions here, discussion - elsewhere, please.
    Early Access:

Is early access going to be available for both PC and Stadia?

How much of the game is going to be made available during the Early Access?

If the full game is not going to be made available during the early access, how is Larian going to get feed back for late level abilities?

Is their going to be a discounted price, or any other incentive for purchasing the game during early access?

When is early access going to be available?

Roughly how long to do you think the game will be in early access?

Are there going to be stages to the early access (as in more of the game will be unlocked as you guys finish it)?

What type of feedback is Larian looking for if a person buys the game in early access?

~

Game mechanics

During Sven’s game play reveal, he highlighted that some objects in the environment are interactive, such as that exploding machine part in the first battle. Are these instances going to be tied to proficiencies in any way or is it just going to be meta knowledge from the player? Is every placed encounter, or the majority of them, going to have these interactive objects?

Roughly, we won’t hold you to it if time constraints makes you have to cut one or two, how many recruitable companions are there going to be in the game?

Are all recruitable companions going to have origin stories?

Is it going to be possible to create our own party and venture forth into the world? Besides party banter and quests tied to companions, if this was done, would the player ‘miss’ anything?

Multiplayer is something that you guys are focusing on, is it just going to be PvE or will PvP be available too?

How much is time going to play a factor? For example, if we take too long to do a quest or get to it, will there be any repercussions?

Is it possible to lose the game by ‘timing out’?

Sven played an origin story involving a vampire thrall, will custom characters be able to be vampire thralls as well?

Am I going to be able to romance that orchid jelly? Are romances in the game, and if so, how are you guys going to handle them (is it going to be like Dragon Age 2 where everyone loves the PC if they click the heart, are NPCs going to have their own sexual orientation or what?)

Will you be able to develop other types of relationships with NPCs besides romances in the game?

Are recruitable NPCs going to react to the choices that the player makes during the game? Will there be repercussions if you annoy a character too much?

Will the recruitable characters all get along, or is there a chance for fist fights to break out like the first Baldur’s Gate?

How is magical items going to be handled? Are they going to be set pieces that the player stumbles upon or colour coded RNG drops or something in between?

Will any ‘legendary’ weapons from the first two games make an appearance?

What is the level cap going to be? Assuming the player plays with a full party, roughly when would the player expect to hit that cap in the story?

Are there any plans for DLC?

Story

Without using the words ‘Dungeon and Dragons,’ or ‘Forgotten Realms,’ how is this a sequel to the first two Baldur’s Gate games?

Without being too spoilerish, do any events in the first two games play a role in how the story is shaped besides maybe featuring Bhaal or Bhaalspawn?

You’ve hinted at returning characters, what type of role are these characters going to have? Are they going to be recruitable? Do they play an integral part of the story? Are they just going to show up for a cameo?

Roughly how many ‘legendary’ characters from the first two games are going to make an appearance in any role?

Are these ‘legendary’ characters going to be fully voiced? If so, will the same voice actors be used from the previous games?

Besides Baldur’s Gate, is there any other location a player may stumble upon that they’ll recognize from the first game?

Will Noober, or one of his relatives be in the game?

Sven said this is the first time we’d be returning to Baldur’s Gate in 20 years. Does he want to make an apology to Beamdog for forgetting about Siege of Dragonspear, or is that title suppose to be wiped out from our memories?

When will it be released? How about now? How about now? How about now? How about now? How about now? How about now?

If I think of any more, I’ll add them to this post. I’ll be working, so I won’t be able to ask any of these myself,
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,743
    I won't be awake for it, sadly, so I hope somebody attending can ask my questions about Initiative, Romance and potentially about whether we'll be able to specify in the game who was Gorion's Ward and what role they played in the previous games.
    I'm going to gather the party the questions before venturing forth and will post them there.
  • byrne20byrne20 Member Posts: 503
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Looks like we haven't gotten even a single of our questions answered in the end. But received a lot of negative feedback instead, I dare say.