Skip to content

[MOD] Shades of the Sword Coast

Comments

• luhan5luhan5 Member Posts: 3
    after reading i see the point and i think i shall try learning using Project Infinity
    thx a lot again for your time
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,827
    Take a look here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/74335/project-infinity-mod-manager-for-baldurs-gate-icewind-dale-planescape-torment-and-eet
    There's a lot of knowledge there and people will most likely help you use it :)
    Cheers!
  • Dalmir_The_DarkDalmir_The_Dark Member Posts: 64
    Wait. So all this time I wasn't aware that it was your mod that was making the Firewine Bridge area into a wild magic zone. I thought it might have been some other mod I installed in my mega modded installation. This is literally one of my favorite additions to the Baldur's Gate game. It turns an already pretty challenging area into a near death trap for the unwary, especially for certain solo runs like solo sorcerer or solo mage/thief - my two favorites.
  • michael_snowmichael_snow Member Posts: 40
    Barachiel wrote: »
    Hey, quick question: I think I scuffed one of the quests. I found the Crying Lady after killing Rovo (sp?) the Unlikely Hero and I can't figure out what to do. She just says she's waiting for someone.

I forgot where she is!
    Any help gratefully received
    Nashkel mine entrance (right above the entrance).
    Cheers
  • ErykErykErykEryk Member Posts: 38
    edited May 1
    Absolutely fantastic mod. What an amount of work. Lovely, kudos.
    PS. i think adamantine golem at this stage was a little bit too much ;p
    I actually left him there mostly as a prank, making curious adventurers load or run, but it looks like people actually fight that thing. Huh.

Anyway, thanks.
    I like so much the writing in Old man and bugs quests. The story is so subtle and beautiful - kind of Studio Ghibli tone. Marvelous.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 559
    Wow, you really put your finger on something there. Come to think of it, the older Colours of Infinity series could be imagined as a Ghibli film quite easily as well. I wonder whether Miyazaki was ever on your mind when crafting your worlds, Lava?
    edited May 2
    Well, while I watched some Studio Ghibli movies, they are great, I especially like Howl's Moving Castle, but I never thought about them as my main inspiration. The greatest influence on my work is probably by Neil Gaiman, by there are also other stuff, other games, for example Tension, Gray Matter, Life is Strange, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, Disco Elysium, horror movies... I also like Guillermo del Toro's movies. But I think Gaiman always had the greatest impact on me :)

Cheers!
    Post edited by LavaDelVortel on
    Can I ask for a little spoiler please regarding one of the portals for a circles? I have found
    One on the lake, the green one and the one in the Bassilus area , where's the last one, cant figure this one out :)

regarding Neil Gaiman's creations - i have read some of his books and yes, acctually i see similiarities, especially with all the there-is-second-magical-layer on stuff
    I don't remember which one is green...
    ...but there are: one with the lake (Drizzt's area), one where Basillus is, one near the druids of Larswood and the last one is next to Faldorn, in Cloakwood.
    big thanks
    I feel incredibly thick
    (trying not to spoil)
    I have been into the Dungeon of Carnal Challenges, clicked all five question marks, opened the two locked things and the one unlocked thing, taken the cash, gems and feathery thing
    And ... now what?
    I assumed that as clothes were mentioned I should find a tailor, but he still says nothing to me
    What have I missed out?
    Thanks
    Secondly, I have a journal entry in the Serpents of Abbathor quest
    It says " mage named Jenna keeps an artefact for the dwarves"
    I went to the tavern, but she's not there
    I found the wall hanging and there was nothing behind it
    Does she and her companion appear happen after I've chased the snakes down in Nashkel?

And finally (for now) how do I trigger the Final Rest of Firewine's Soldiers quest?
    Thanks
    Once you click on everything in the dungeon (I think there was also a dagger there?) and have all the information, you may need talk to the quest-giver and then one of the girls that also worked there.

Serpents of Abbathor is not a SotSC quest. I have no idea.

Firewine quest starts in one of the towers on the bridge, there is an info region in one of them. It mentions the swords that should be placed in the chest.
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 559
    edited May 12
    I can definitely see Neil Gaiman! Don't know some other of those references, so thanks for sharing. :)

PS: @michael_snow IIRC, Abbathor is a quest from the Breagar NPC mod.
    Thank you

And contrary to some others' comments, I thought the Adamantine Golem was just about hard enough for me - had to run away and heal twice!
    Luckily we'd found a couple of +3 weapons (poor Drizzt, eh?), and cast Summon after Summon to keep it busy while we attacked it
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 903
    Isewein wrote: »

There is a "Serpents of Abbathor" quest in Ascalon's Quest Pack.
    Thanks, I found that's it, and I just can't find how to set a certain trigger

Anyway, back to the dungeon of certain delights, was that dagger, L#DUNDA supposed to have been in the barrel?
    I've been back and searched everywhere I can think of in the room, and it's not there :(
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 627
    Thanks, I found that's it, and I just can't find how to set a certain trigger

Anyway, back to the dungeon of certain delights, was that dagger, L#DUNDA supposed to have been in the barrel?
    I've been back and searched everywhere I can think of in the room, and it's not there :(
    It's not in a barrel, it's hidden somewhere else. Make sure to investigate all things carefully.
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 627
    Isewein wrote: »

There is a "Serpents of Abbathor" quest in Ascalon's Quest Pack.
    Yes, it's from Ascalon's questpack, not Breagar NPC.
    Thanks, I went over everything again with the 'reveal' toggle and finally saw it :)
  • RayCatRayCat Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for all these extra quests that make BG feel more and more like an MMO world to explore :-P
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,093

I found the secret hideout plane in this run and wow, I never knew how much I wanted such a place in BG! What a fantastic little easter egg. It is mildly abusable, but that it looks just like the campfire video was a chef's kiss.

I'm sure it was intentional, given it is an alternate plane "world", but I modified my copy to have day/night. Otherwise, I absolutely love it.
    I'm glad you like it!
  • SirickSirick Member Posts: 94
    Quick question, it seems right now you can only install all the content and not pick which individual quests you want installed (this is on version 8.7)

Is there an older version where you could pick which quests to install? I swear this was possible at some point (unless I'm mixing it up with another quest mod).
    edited July 8
    (WARNING: THIS POST MAY INCLUDE SPOILERS)

Hi!

Nope, that was never an option and never will. Because it's not the first time this question is asked, I will give more details on why it's not going to change.

1. This isn't just a quest pack, but something to expand the whole game and that also includes fixes, scripts, and shops -- many of those fixes and shops, and other things, are also used by for example items and/or characters from other questlines / encounters.

2. The quests overlap in a significant way. Let me give you few examples:
    - "Shadows Below the Friendly Arm Inn" quest introduces a little quest that includes some info about Bhaal temple / items in the region: that part interacts with "The Bone Collector and the Missing Halfling" quest in which we can find a similar item as that mentioned in the 1st quest and we may actually comment on that if we return to the Inn and if we have an item from the 2nd quest;
    - "Infesting Light" includes creature animations / creature type introduced by the expanded enemies part, and the same animations / creatures are also used in "Ormyrrs' Peak" quest area;
    - "Doggy Life, Doggy Death" happens on "Ormyrrs' Peak" and only there;
    - "The Tree of Shades" areas also introduce another area: "The Hideout", that is an independent utility kind of place
    - "The Ghost Ship" is connected to "The Skeletal Captain and His Sons" quest and completing that quest is also kind of a more peaceful way to finish "The Ghost Ship" quest line;
    - "The Skeletal Captain and His Sons" quest items are in the: "Ormyrrs' Peak" quest area, "The Parted Lovers of Ulgoth's Beard" quest area;
    - "The Parted Lovers of Ulgoth's Beard" uses an independent shop introduced by SotSC and is available without even doing "The Parted Lovers of Ulgoth's Beard" quest line;
    - "The Sociopath" encounter item is used in "Ormyrrs' Peak" quest;
    - ...and so on...

These are just some examples, and some dependencies may be somewhat hard to notice at first. SotSC is actually more like an expansion of the whole game, featuring: quests, encounters, shops, craftable artifacts, items (normal and cursed), fixes, tweaks, expanded enemy types, minor SoD add-ons, and all these things overlap. New areas, quests and encounters use expanded enemy / creature types. Quests interact with each other or simply overlap in a way or two. Tweaks and fixes are there for the sake of quest items that wouldn't work properly otherwise. Some parts of the mod may be a bit more independent, while others depend completely on other things introduced in SotSC and... this is like a web.

So to summarize: the mod will be always a bundle, everything will be installed all at once, because a huge portion of the mod is just connected in a way or two. Thus, I made the decision and I want to keep it that way. However, it's not just a personal preference, but there is actually more to it. Furthermore, I do want to keep it like that for the sake of my own resources (time, energy, activity).

Cheers!
  • inethineth Member Posts: 742
    edited July 28
    I published a walkthrough on the wiki, that anyone can edit:

Shades of the Sword Coast walkthrough

Also, here are some screenshots to give an impression of some of the beautiful new side-areas added by the mod:
    tYuDjX5.png2n7rXOA.png6i63Ryw.pngVBnI2rs.pngkzHMcAt.png5vkZHtF.pngnGXd4ld.pnghES9Q5o.pngx440MGI.png
    I think this mod really makes the game "fresh" again for returning players, as it adds so much content across the game world, and makes you really explore everything again, including things like cave entrances that were impassable or nonexistent in the unmodded game... :)