Skip to content

[Mod] Neverwinter for Baldur's Gate

paladin84paladin84 Member Posts: 56
edited March 31 in BGII:EE Mods
author: AGKanevchev
weidu adaptaion: paladin84

The mod repeats, with some minor modifications, the plot of Neverwinter Nights game. Once Gorion's Ward reaches the experience of 1350000 XP, he/she can start Neverwinter Nights. At this moment, a messenger from Neverwinter will approach him/her in any of the Athkatla's Districts and ask for help. However, recommended amount of XP to start NWN content is 1750000. It is a huge mod with hundreds of new areas, 6 (obvious) joinable NPCs, lots of dialogs and... Lady Aribeth.

gv3nvzl9g3qr.jpg
ermkyoerq07u.jpg
hr46gzyk3i77.jpg

Forum
Download
Alternative download from google disk
All the useful information (how to install, mods order, languages, etc) is in readme
Post edited by paladin84 on

Comments

• zelazkozelazko Member Posts: 87
    I would break my mod setup if I install NWNForBG on my EET setup after EET_End has been installed?
  • paladin84paladin84 Member Posts: 56
    Probably, yes. Honestly, I still don't know what EET_End exactly does, but it is always recommended to be installed after all the other mods. Also, please note that bp-bgt-worldmap should be installed after NWNForBG (and also probably before EET_End).
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,377
    awesome. Well done
  • SanctiferSanctifer Member Posts: 105
    Oh wow
  • shevy123456shevy123456 Member Posts: 198
    Interesting. While I think Neverwinter nights, Icewind Dale etc... don't necessarily fit into
    e. g. BG2, I kind of like that players get an option to choose what to explore (and re-use).

For instance, in Trials of the Luremaster, while I don't think it fits that well into the BG2
    atmosphere, I think it is a very nice mod - lots of fighting, some puzzles and things to
    find. I may get to test this one next year, after the current holidays in late year are over.

worldmap mod can be a bit troublesome sometimes.
    Thanks everyone. I hope you will like the mod if you try it. All the feedback and bug repotrs are welcomed.

For worldmap it is pretty stable based on my experience and this is the only way I know to add the new map areas outside of bg1/bg2/eet maps.
  • Allanon81Allanon81 Member Posts: 333
    Where did this come from? Never knew this cooking.
    edited December 2023
    Allanon81 wrote: »
    Where did this come from? Never knew this cooking.
    Just one man (AGKanevchev) was creating this content for 5 years without telling anyone in Russian only. I knew about it in summer 2022 and started making a weidu mod out of it this summer. Now it is pretty stable (many people already played the mod), has English (and almost finished other languages), so I decided to present it to the community.
  • SourSour Member Posts: 99
    edited December 2023
    Hi, I'm currently in the BG1EE portion of an EET run. I was wondering if anybody knows if I uninstall the games and did a fresh install with the same setup as last time but with NVN added, would I be able to use my current game save? I would like to try this but I'm too deep in my current game to start over now. I wouldn't mind spending a few hours reinstalling everything if my current game save would work though.

Does this mod require BGT world map or can I use the one that comes with EET?

Also, if you start this mod with 1.5 million XP, how much XP do you have when you finish this mod?
    Post edited by Sour on
    edited December 2023
    Hi, yes, you need to install bp-bgt-worldmap after NWN mod. Unfortunately, there is no place for NWN content in EET map (as you can see here: https://abload.de/img/worldmap-compsus0l.png), there are should be at least two big cities (Neverwinter and Luskan) and many other areas around it. They made EET map by removing everything from SoD to IWD (where Neverwinter, Waterdeep and Luskan should be located).

If you reintall all your mods (with exactly the same versions) while you are still in BG1 and install NWN mod with them, everything should mostly work, but my biggest concern is bp-bgt-worldmap. Generally, it is not compatible with old saves. All the maps location names might be broken for the old saves and/or the map itself might be broken. It might be fixed during a "game transition" (when you go from BG1 to SoD or from SoD to BG2), but I am not sure. You can have another eet installation (without deleting the current one), try to load any of your current saves and see the result.

There is lots of XP in NWN mod. The content was designed to be a single big mod for BG2. I don't remember exact numbers, but I think by the end of NWN content my party members had at least 3.5M each. Thus, I would recommend to install some mods that decrease amount of XP given to the party if there are other mods.
  • IncrementisIncrementis Member Posts: 26
    Hi paladin84,

thanks for your work.
    The pictures look beautiful.
    From what I understand, this was started by another modder and was released after over 5 years of development. So I'm just curious if this modder has subsequently released some information about his/her work process? I think such knowledge could help the community.
    Hi paladin84,

thanks for your work.
    The pictures look beautiful.
    From what I understand, this was started by another modder and was released after over 5 years of development. So I'm just curious if this modder has subsequently released some information about his/her work process? I think such knowledge could help the community.

Thank you. Yes, you understood it right. He started it and finished it but it was a bgt-based assembly. I extracted all NWN specific resources from this assembly, converted for EE, added more languages and created this weidu mod. However, he was the one who created all the content, and he never published anything (at least I am not aware) until it was done. I would probably lost all the motivation working on something secretly for five years... So, everything we have now is this mod and original bgt-based assembly in Russian.
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    Wow this looks great! I've always wanted to try something like this I'll give it a try thank you!
  • SourSour Member Posts: 99
    edited December 2023
    paladin84 wrote: »
    Hi, yes, you need to install bp-bgt-worldmap after NWN mod. Unfortunately, there is no place for NWN content in EET map (as you can see here: https://abload.de/img/worldmap-compsus0l.png), there are should be at least two big cities (Neverwinter and Luskan) and many other areas around it. They made EET map by removing everything from SoD to IWD (where Neverwinter, Waterdeep and Luskan should be located).

If you reinstall all your mods (with exactly the same versions) while you are still in BG1 and install NWN mod with them, everything should mostly work, but my biggest concern is bp-bgt-worldmap. Generally, it is not compatible with old saves. All the maps location names might be broken for the old saves and/or the map itself might be broken. It might be fixed during a "game transition" (when you go from BG1 to SoD or from SoD to BG2), but I am not sure. You can have another eet installation (without deleting the current one), try to load any of your current saves and see the result.

There is lots of XP in NWN mod. The content was designed to be a single big mod for BG2. I don't remember exact numbers, but I think by the end of NWN content my party members had at least 3.5M each. Thus, I would recommend to install some mods that decrease amount of XP given to the party if there are other mods.

Thanks paladin84. I tried it out and the names were messed up on the BP-BGT-Worldmap. Everything else works fine. I used the console to teleport to some of the locations and everything seems to be working great. I'll probably have to wait until I want to start a new game if I want the map locations to be correct. I plan to use EET Tweaks to lower the XP by about 40% since I have multiple other mods and TOB to continue on with.

I may just start over as this project looks pretty cool and there are multiple other mods that I have installed that are new or beta so this should make things even more wild. Thanks for your time and your effort to translate it to English. A few years ago I thought the Baldur's Gate mod scene might die out after 20+ years and I never could have imagined I'd be able to go to Neverwinter, Luskan, and the spine of the world during a BG playthrough. It's really cool how the technology and the mod scene has evolved in the last 5 years or so.
    Man, the russians do alot of great modding for oldie but goodie games like Avernum (theres some massive mod; in english too), fallout 1&2, jagged alliance 2.
  • TheWildestMageTheWildestMage Member Posts: 9
    edited December 2023
    This looks absolutely insane! And 5 years cooking in secret??? Russian modders don't play, holy hell.

I'm gonna have to give this a try (will write a review if I finish it, though it sounds massive), but I'll probably do what I always do with mods and ignore the recommendations to go in with 89k xp on a solo Mage/Thief with little gear instead lol (oh, I just noticed the xp is a requirement for the quest to start duh, so I guess I'll roll with a Jester, cause the jester song starts popping around that level).
    Post edited by TheWildestMage on
    This looks absolutely insane! And 5 years cooking in secret??? Russian modders don't play, holy hell.

I'm gonna have to give this a try (will write a review if I finish it, though it sounds massive), but I'll probably do what I always do with mods and ignore the recommendations to go in with 89k xp on a solo Mage/Thief with little gear instead lol (oh, I just noticed the xp is a requirement for the quest to start duh, so I guess I'll roll with a Jester, cause the jester song starts popping around that level).

I can tell you what file to change if you want to start NWN content earlier, but no complains about the balance. The review and the bug reports (if any) are very welcome.
  • Nibor_ScotNibor_Scot Member Posts: 26
    Hello, when i try to download the *.zip-files about Github then it download the order NWNForBG and .gitignore but not the readme and setup.exe...why? Thanks
  • shevy123456shevy123456 Member Posts: 198
    edited December 2023
    I just downloaded https://github.com/abalabokhin/NWNForBG/archive/refs/tags/0.94.tar.gz
    and extracted it.

In the extracted directory I see these three entries:

NWNForBG
    README.md
    setup-NWNForBG.exe

So you possibly downloaded the wrong file; that happened to me some days ago in regards
    to another mod as well. Note that, I believe. the .exe file is just weidu.exe renamed to fit
    the directory here. I often found it best to look at the "/releases" URL of github - usually
    maintainers on github take extra care to ensure that these releases work.
    edited December 2023
    I can tell you what file to change if you want to start NWN content earlier, but no complains about the balance. The review and the bug reports (if any) are very welcome.

I already went with my Jester, thanks. I also already found quite a few bugs (none gamebreaking, it's mostly NPCs telling you directions that are completely wrong and audio problems), so where/how should I report them?

As for balance, oh boy, I was having a lot of fun and little issues with the mod (explored like 99% of Beggar's Nest so far, killed Darwyl etc.) until I happened upon a *nameless/generic* Cult Mage (NWCULT1.CRE) in Beggar's Nest that:

-Is level 35 (for comparison: Demogorgon, the Prince of Demons, is level 25, and Amelyssan, empowered with the essence of Bhaal, is level 30, so yes, this nameless dude in some slums is higher level than godlike beings)
    -Ignores invisibility (why? Who knows)
    -Requires +4 weapons to hit for some reason (but he still casts and re-casts Improved Mantle on himself constantly... Why...?). I don't even have +4 weapons to begin with (didn't think I'd need them this early, since it's supposed to be the vanilla NWN campaign!) and all the stuff I found is +1 or +2 at best... (so I'm instead using what I brought from Athkatla, cause everything here is crap)
    -Has 208hp (for comparison: Firkraag has 184hp)
    -Has saves of 1/0/1/0/1 (for comparison: Amelyssan has 2/3/5/7/4, Demogorgon has 3/5/4/4/6)
    -Is 100% immune to Fire/Cold/Electricity, 80% resistant to acid and 20% resistant to all physical damage (why?)
    -Has 50% resistance to Magic (as if the above resistances weren't enough)
    -Has -12 AC
    -Has 3 attacks per round, despite being a Mage
    -Has a *base* THAC0 of -2 (a level 21 Fighter has 0 and that's as good as it gets)
    -Has seemingly unlimited "spell triggers" (well, I assume that was the intent, the log just shows a ton of spells being cast at once)

So I did what any sane person would do and said "fuck that garbage" and cheesed him with a ton of Cloudkills from a wand. But then I went downstairs and there's another two... That's just annoying.

I'll keep playing, ofc (cause everything else has been high quality so far), but I gotta say that doesn't give me high hopes for the future of combat design, especially fights with named creatures that are supposed to be hard (as opposed to this random god mob).
    Post edited by TheWildestMage on
    @shevy123456 ...thanks for th Link, but i downloaded about

- PC, Windows 10, Mozilla Firefox
    - PC, Windows 10, Google Chrome and
    - Handy, Google Chrome

and there is always the same no setup.exe and by extract about by WinRaR

Diagnostic Messages: Unexpected end of archive + The archive is corrupt

I have also to say i haven't a Github-Account.

Any help or idea?
    edited December 2023
    Nibor_Scot wrote: »
    @shevy123456 ...thanks for th Link, but i downloaded about

- PC, Windows 10, Mozilla Firefox
    - PC, Windows 10, Google Chrome and
    - Handy, Google Chrome

and there is always the same no setup.exe and by extract about by WinRaR

Diagnostic Messages: Unexpected end of archive + The archive is corrupt

I have also to say i haven't a Github-Account.

Any help or idea?

Looks like you cannot download big files from github. I know people with the same issue and I would blame your internet provider. Anyway, can you try to download from google drive: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1z7cMaxky2v7JfnLg-umWkjatB0431Zmf/view, please?
    edited December 2023
    As for balance, oh boy, I was having a lot of fun and little issues with the mod (explored like 99% of Beggar's Nest so far, killed Darwyl etc.) until I happened upon a *nameless/generic* Cult Mage (NWCULT1.CRE) in Beggar's Nest that:
    Sorry for this guy. His stats are not as high as you said (eg AC = -10 and HP = 198), but they probably were modified by some spells and/or difficulty level. I guess, I had complains about him before, but I am not sure. I will try to make him weaker or just remove him, but I had to negotiate this with the original content author (I didn't change any of his content other than bug fixing), so it might take some time.

I didn't have many troubles with them, but I had +4 weapons and didn't play solo. Please note, it is considered that PC is experienced enough and have some gear (as far as I remember, you should have this level of XP after underdark and you should have some +4 weapons). All the enemies were designed to match this level and some of them are might be too strong. You should not expect level 1 enemies from original NWN content in this mod. I am not trying to say he is not overpowered, though. He is, and again I will try to fix it.

Good news is there not many nameless guys who are too strong. There might be more of them, but not many. Also, you should be able to craft some good gear, at the blacksmith at the city core.

Thank you for your feedback. Let me know if there more of too strong enemies.
    @paladin84 ...thank you sooo much, download about the link and install works...when the time comes i will see this wonderful work from you...in the 2000 years i thought the stories from Baldur's Gate till Neverwinter Nights will end...now through Beamdog and Modders like you i see it will be neverending story and that is fantastic...thank you
    Sorry for this guy. His stats are not as high as you said (eg AC = -10 and HP = 198), but they probably were modified by some spells and/or difficulty level. I guess, I had complains about him before, but I am not sure. I will try to make him weaker or just remove him, but I had to negotiate this with the original content author (I didn't change any of his content other than bug fixing), so it might take some time.

I didn't have many troubles with them, but I had +4 weapons and didn't play solo. Please note, it is considered that PC is experienced enough and have some gear (as far as I remember, you should have this level of XP after underdark and you should have some +4 weapons). All the enemies were designed to match this level and some of them are might be too strong. You should not expect level 1 enemies from original NWN content in this mod. I am not trying to say he is not overpowered, though. He is, and again I will try to fix it.

I feel ya, your position is kinda hard not being the original modder and all. Maybe you could ask him if you can publish a separate branch of his mod (with full credit, of course) with a few balance adjustments, if he doesn't wanna change it? That way folks will have access to both versions (cause the rest of the mod is pretty good so far).

I'm not gonna hammer on how poorly designed of an enemy it is, cause you didn't make it, but just to highlight how the +4 weapons thing alone is already absurd... Even after the Underdark that's an extremely rare thing to have. Just think about it, most weapon classes only have access to ONE +4 weapon in the entire trilogy and these weapon classes have NO access to +4 weapons in SoA at all (so if you're proficient/specialized in them... Tough luck):

-Axes
    -Bastard swords (unless you're a paladin)
    -Clubs
    -Flails
    -Katanas
    -Maces (cause the Cult Mage ain't undead, so the Mace of Disruption +2 doesn't count)

And the only non-missable +4 Dagger (cause you only get the Boneblade +4 if you do the Aboleth's bidding in Ust Natha) is near the end of Watcher's Keep, so you'd need to fight some ToB-level fights to get there (unless you know some good cheese, ofc, but I'm thinking about the average player who can't solo the whole thing coming straight out of Irenicus' Dungeon).

Hell, talking to folks over the years, I often hear about problems with the Ravager, at the end of ToB, cause some folks don't have +4 weapons for all of their characters even then!
    Good news is there not many nameless guys who are too strong. There might be more of them, but not many. Also, you should be able to craft some good gear, at the blacksmith at the city core.

That's very encouraging then. I did go to the Peninsula District for now and haven't found anything ridiculous so far (though it's pretty funny that, despite how powerful the enemies are, they only have +1 weapons, which means they can't touch my elementals). And I didn't notice you could craft gear, I thought I explored everything at the city core? Guess I missed it, good to know!

Once again, I don't wanna be completely negative cause the rest of the mod has been pretty fun so far and I *love* the new areas. It's great to see folks putting the Pillars of Eternity assets to good use finally (and it blends surprisingly well with the infinity engine stuff they used, despite being much more detailed).

When I go back to Beggar's Nest, I think I'll just run past the Cult Mage gods for now, cause it doesn't seem like you're required to kill them (idk, it's been decades since I last played the NWN vanilla campaign, I don't remember anything) and their xp is not worth the effort of performing the cloudkill cheese. I'm already almost level 20 (when the Jester song will let me cheese the hell outta things), so I don't need the xp.

Also, you didn't mention a good place to report bugs, so I'll just leave the ones I found so far here (like I said, nothing gamebreaking so far):

-Aribeth's dialogue at the start doesn't always match what she's saying (sometimes it's very different). And in some dialogue choices she repeats the "second, ..." part, which makes no sense unless it's right after the line that starts with "first,...".

-Bethany, who you meet right outside of the academy, tells you that the Peninsula District is to the southwest, but it's actually to the east.

-Invisibility Hat description doesn't mention the actual (improved) invisibility charge ability, how often it can be used etc.

-Failing a steal attempt in a shop has no penalties whatsoever (at least in Eltoora's shop). It just boots you out of the menu, but the shopkeeper doesn't turn hostile.

-Don't know if this is a bug, but it's weird, so I'm mentioning it: the mod starts with you at 1.35 million xp, but most of the companions you can hire only come with ~660k (except Daelan and Linu who start with ~1 million and Boddyknock starts with 784k).

-Grimgnaw is referred to as a Monk in dialogue, but he's a Cleric (I'm aware that there's no animation for dwarven monks, but then the dialogue should be changed, no? Or maybe he should be turned into a human so he can be a Monk?).

-The audio in the cutscene with Drawl is messed up, it lags behind the subtitles a lot and is waaaaaaay to quiet/distorted.

-The Helmite priest in the Beggar's Nest offers a blessing, but when he casts it, it doesn't actually bless the party, only the priest himself and the guy next to him (Bertrand).

-Drake in the Serpent place in Beggar's Nest gives wrong directions to Krestal (he says he's north of the Helmite shrine to the west, but the Helmite shrine is to the east).

-Jemaine talks about his brother going to a house north of there, but Jemaine's house is already at the northernmost part of the map. The house is actually right next door, to the east.

-When fighting the aforementioned god Cult Mages, sometimes a random invincible creature (with no animation) named "target" shows up.

-Kipp in the Peninsula district says the prison is to the southwest, but you're already at the southwest part of the area where you find him and the prison is to the north.
    The original content author agreed that this guy is "too much", so I will fix him for the new mod version. For now, just avoid him (them) if you cannot kill him, he is not necessary to kill (there are very few creatures that are required to be killed).

You can bug report here or on g3 (https://www.gibberlings3.net/forums/topic/37267-neverwinter-night-for-baldurs-gate-mod/).

I will also fix the bugs you mentioned (they are mainly in directions, cause directions were changed (originally in Russian) to match new maps, and then I found appropriate English lines automatically using original NWN texts with old directions... I fixed some of them, but probably not all) in a new mod version. Thank you for the bugs in dialogs, people often don't pay attention to this (there are already people who finished the mod in English).
  • megrimlockmegrimlock Member Posts: 45
    The Aribeth and Bethany errors were probs my fault, sorry. And IIRC I described Grimgnaw as a monk because that's what he is in NWN (the machine translation had him as some other synonym which wasn't a D&D class), I didn't check what the mod had actually specced him as.
    People with issues regarding Github not allowing you to download or its corrupted (this has been an issue for awhile). Don't use the github app and always request desktop mode on webpage. Hope that helps.
    @Allanon81...thanks for your informations..at the next Update i will try it so
    Ok, I wasn't gonna post anymore until I finish the mod (I'm compiling a list of all the bugs I find to post all at once, to avoid making lots of posts), but since this is a major bug I thought I'd let y'all know: in area NW1040 (below the Helmite Hold), once the Queen Spider (NWSPID3.CRE) shows up the game crashes to desktop. So I can only continue by taking the other route.