Skip to content

#MeToo

13»

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Huh, I had missed that part of the story. Ofc I've read about the "culture profile" person who is one the reasons for the mess that is the Academy nowadays, but to grope the crown princess? That's grade A level idiocy.

I wish she would have punched him straight in his ugly nose, smashing it to pieces. I gotta admit it could have turned me into a royalist again.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    @Skatan

I am sorry I sort of feel disappointed by Kronprinsessan Victoria, but I am : if women in her position of power and privilege feel unable to expose the people like "kulturprofilen" - how cruel and hypocritical is it to say to normal women "should have done something about it, and immediately?"

We have an even more grave case in Finland (I think): the wastrel MP Hakkarainen forced a kiss upon a fellow member of the parliament when drunk, and the victim only made a police complaint of it due to public pressure.

Think: if a parliament member or a princess cannot...

I hate to say I am depressed by it, even if I sort of understand from the perspective of the shame one feels. But if a person of high public duty and protection gives up, it feels less valuable when I did not. (In Belgium)
    @TStael, I totally agree. There's NO SHAME for neither the crown princess Viktoria nor the parliment member in Soumi, all the shame is on the men who took rights to other people's bodies as if they had it.

This is exactly why I try to speak up when I see it. I'm not perfect, but I try to shame the men committing such acts so that more and more women feel they have the majority of men behind them when they speak up rather than against them. I feel we are moving in the right direction but we are still a loooooooong way from an equal society.
    I do like your style @skatan as you know - but hope you might have also a slight sympathy for the disappointment I feel as a woman that Kronprinsessan Victoria nor the Finnish MP had the power to stop these people, or to even complain, or make their grievances known before the press got wind of the corruption.

It was the fault of Kulturprofilen and MP Hakkarainen to behave this way, but do you also understand why it feels demoralising to me when women of significant privilege just let it slip?

When my youthful trainee era assault in Brussels took place, I called the police, handed them over my jacket where the attacker had frottaged his semen, did a "robo-portrait" and recognised the guy from a line-up.

The case collapsed because his other victim (that had had the courage to go to the police) did not have the stamina to come and do the line-up. I do not know if she knew of #metoo.

I have my doubts as of today if really there was no DNA on that jacket, or that was just retroactive decision to save money by the Belgian police.

To this day, I hope that boy did not escalate from a high-rise corridor self-exposer to assaulter to rapist. (I got the first two from him, thank you very much)

From this perspective it feels bad that a crown princess and an MP would represent that other woman whom abstained from my case. But I do understand them. Going though it all felt rather awful, especially so young.
    I totally understand @TStael and I wouldn't be surprised if your gut-feeling about how they handled the case is correct! Yes, women of power "should" speak out when/if they can to empower women of lesser power to feel they can do the same. But I say "should" rather than should since I cannot judge those who don't. Speaking up, even if you are a powerful woman, is still frowned upon by many men and the online hate that strong women get these days is just.. I have no words for it, but it's disgusting and I don't know how some of them have the strenght to keep on fighting the good fight. I am following a couple of instagram accounts doing just that and the amount of hate they get is just ridiculous, so many men feel the picking order going in the wrong direction (according to them) so they hate on these women to put them down again, or at least try to. Makes me want to reverse-trace their IP's, go home to them and go medieval on their asses, but then I would be just as bad so of course I don't and would never do it.
    @skatan - I think you do understand how I feel disappointed by women such as Kronprinsessan Victoria just letting it slip, yet unfair to expect more.

Just reflect what Kulturprofilen was permitted to do, leading up to - and after - that "alleged" hand on Kronprinsessan Victoria's behind. I hope there is debate in Sweden to ask why Victoria could not stop him, and how many missed opportunities there were before.

In comparison, my dearest childhood friend, whom I know from before pre-school, called the Finnish Embassy in Brussels to demand action on my behalf.

They gave her the cold shoulder, dismissing my case as one of those inevitable unfortunate cases in my area of residence.

I am awed by her, still today - and very unimpressed by the Finnish Embassy.
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    edited July 2018
    TStael said:

For those going "uggh" shame on you. Even if this does not affect you, perso - bit of empathy is OK. Someone you have known shall have suffered it.
    four.

People don't go " ughh" to this because of they lack empathy. People go "ughh" to this because its a glorified witch hunt the embodies the fallacious principle of to just "listen and believe" which on the court of public opinion the one blames is automatically guilty without due process or evidence. This has literally cost people their jobs and damages lives. Even then when proven innocent nothing happens to the accuser and many the accused is still guilty because women are angelic creatures that never lie and either ignore or ridicule men who add their voice to the group, especially if their accused is female.

Post edited by DragonKing on

People don't go " ughh" to this because of they lack empathy. People go "ughh" to this because its a glorified witch hunt the embodies the fallacious principle of to just "listen and believe" which on the court of public opinion the one blames is automatically guilty without due process or evidence. This has literally cost people their jobs and damages lives. Even then when proven innocent nothing happens to the accuser and many the accused is still guilty because women are angelic creatures that never lie and either ignore or ridicule men who add their voice to the group, especially if their accused is female.

• StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,352

TStael said:

For those going "uggh" shame on you. Even if this does not affect you, perso - bit of empathy is OK. Someone you have known shall have suffered it.
    four.

Dragonking: I think you are being to harsh here. “A glorified witch hunt” are words I would use with caution.

The witch hunts in the 15-17 century where a bad mix of old vendettas, superstition and vendictiveness. We now know that many women where burned at the stake for crimes they couldnt have commited. And its another sad moment in the history of justice..

The present day MeToo campaign is far from witch hunting. Simply because rape, groping and sexual harashment isnt superstition and therefore non existing. Far from it. As a man I dare say that we - as a sex - have closed our eyes long enough on this.

I too believe in upholding the law and give people a fair trial - at the courts and in the press. As a lawyer this believe is firmly rooted. But as a father to a little girl, it breaks my heart to see what she must endure if we do nothing. I

hope that the campaigns silverlining will be respect and equallity between sexes. The MeToo campaign has better promise at this than the witch hunts - and we may bring sexualpredators of both sexes to the stand in the process. So endure, participate and contribute.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

It absolutely is a witch hunt.
    The parrallels of economic depression, deeply divided societies, civil unrest and the threat of war are chilling between the present and the historical circumstances in which the "witch hunts" took place in Europe.

And never forget, all those who support witch hunts are always completely convinced they are in the right. Nothing ever makes them take a step back and look at their own conduct, they are the righteous.

• semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    edited July 2018
    I find it difficult to think of the numerous allegations against Harvey Weinstein, for example, as a witch hunt. He was caught on tape coercing a woman into sex while she begged him to let her go. I don't find it particularly implausible that men in power use their power to commit rape and sexual harassment, nor do I find it unreasonable for people to point out when it happens.

Nor do I consider it unreasonable for people to want to stop rape from happening. Nor do I find it unreasonable that women should be able to live in a world where they don't have to worry about being attacked.

Rape is a crime, just like murder and robbery. Rape happens, just like murder and robbery. So does sexual harassment. This isn't a mythical fantasy crime; it's an actual event that's already been known to happen across the world. This is an issue we should take seriously--not dismiss out of hand.

My mom has been sexually harassed. Is my mom prosecuting a witch hunt by speaking out about an event in her life? Because that's the entire #MeToo movement in a nutshell: a long string of people publicly talking about stuff that happened to them.
    A witch hunt is a situation in which people are being accused of a crime that does not exist or has not been committed--witches aren't real; therefore a witch hunt is unjustified by default. But this is about a crime that does exist and is being committed. Even if you think people are too trusting of accusers, "witch hunt" is really not the right word here.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    In contrast, "twitter hunt" seems like quite a real (and very often fearsome) thing. Or as the Chinese call it: the Human flesh search engine.
    @DragonKing: Jesus Christ! I had no idea that happened! I'm so sorry to hear that; I don't have words for it. I'd hate to think that it wasn't taken seriously because of a double standard, or that people didn't trust your own account of your life. I know that men get overlooked in this subject, and it breaks my heart to hear another example of someone who had to suffer through that without any support. Lord knows you have enough burdens to carry as it is.

I hope the perpetrator has seen justice. Either way, I'm deeply sorry to hear it. No one should have to deal with that kind of pain.
    Arguing with a #metoo denier is like arguing with a racist. Nothing you say can ever make them see reason.
    edited July 2018

TStael said:

four.

Well, "people" maybe do not - but you do, a bit, do you not?

People are mainly against sexual assault. You seem to think it is whimsical and hysterical or whatnot.

So read on, though you are not owned this story - I should have been owned the professional competence of the Belgian police, methinks.

That "innocent" person in your eyes had an escalating pattern of attack, which I do not suppose was fair for me to withness.

I saw him two times in the apprt complex corridor I inhabited, the first time was a simple self exposure, but the second time he tried to grab me and follow me through the locked inner door. I managed to fend him off.

For all your idea of "automatic guilt of an innocent party by flimsy attack" : I never reported the two increasingly aggressive exhibition incidents because I thought it was normal for us women to suffer it.

I was quite traumatised when it happened to me at age 7 with my best friend, a man pulling a car door open and jerking off - and my diary read: "We met an exhibitionist. Oh my how we ran! My friend stayed behind to say she could not."

When the actual sexual assault happened, I handed over my jacket indicating where the frottaging individual had ejaculated, per the wet stain.

Belgian police never could extract the DNA evidence, purportedly, which would not have required that other girl to come and identify the man, besides me.

To this day, I hope his arrest and standing in the line deterred him, but if this man escalated further to rape women, it shall have been a failure of the Belgium police. There could have been the DNA evidence.

At age seven we were your "fair" females. We were traumatised, but too ashamed and horrified, and not supported to stop it:

A grown man could jerk off at seven year old girls without punishment. And so it went on...

It absolutely is a witch hunt.
    The parrallels of economic depression, deeply divided societies, civil unrest and the threat of war are chilling between the present and the historical circumstances in which the "witch hunts" took place in Europe.

And never forget, all those who support witch hunts are always completely convinced they are in the right. Nothing ever makes them take a step back and look at their own conduct, they are the righteous.

When at age seven we went to a man that pretended to ask for directions, and then flung his car door open jerking off at us, we run off scared with my best friend.

I do not recall if we tried to tell our parents, or if we were too ashamed and horrified.

See the response above.

At early twenties I frankly thought self-exposure was sort of normal, and got sexually assaulted by a man that had exposed himself to me before at the ground floor of my complex. There was semen, but apparently it could not be extracted by the Belgian police.

Age seven. That is when I saw a penis in process of masturbation by an exhibitionist.

I am not particularly concerned of you cheapening the "which hunts" when I say that a girl so young should not have to see a penis in sexual context.
    Skatan said:

Arguing with a #metoo denier is like arguing with a racist. Nothing you say can ever make them see reason.

Well, such persons would, say, deny that an exhibitionist forcing their masturbation on two seven year old girls is wrong, and it is a witch hunt and all...

I don't think it is particularly a case for "argument" but maybe for analyses why they hate women so. "Män som hatar kvinnor" and all that.

I am not bothered by such persons unless they can have actual real life relationships with women and girls
    that culminate at jerking off at a seven year old, and continuing that pattern at an appt building corridor.

Then I hope they are reported and stopped, like and unlike that Brussels boy.
    @Skatan

Vet Du varför vi har "mn" som hatar kvinnor? Jag undrar...
    edited August 2018
    TStael said:

Well, "people" maybe do not - but you do, a bit, do you not?

I do what? Lack empathy? No i possess empathy but i don't prosecuting someone based on ACCUSATION and anecdotal statements ALONE!
    TStael said:

People are mainly against sexual assault. You seem to think it is whimsical and hysterical or whatnot.

You seem to like critical reading skills of that's what you got from what I said.
    TStael said:

So read on, though you are not owned this story - I should have been owned the professional competence of the Belgian police, methinks.

Owned? Do you mean owed?
    TStael said:

That "innocent" person in your eyes had an escalating pattern of attack, which I do not suppose was fair for me to withness.

I saw him two times in the apprt complex corridor I inhabited, the first time was a simple self exposure, but the second time he tried to grab me and follow me through the locked inner door. I managed to fend him off.

For all your idea of "automatic guilt of an innocent party by flimsy attack" : I never reported the two increasingly aggressive exhibition incidents because I thought it was normal for us women to suffer it.

So you either didn't read or just don't care about what i actually said do you?
    TStael said:

I was quite traumatised when it happened to me at age 7 with my best friend, a man pulling a car door open and jerking off - and my diary read: "We met an exhibitionist. Oh my how we ran! My friend stayed behind to say she could not."

Yes you had a bad incident... That justifies #metoo where women go onto social media and start claiming sexual harassment without always providing any sort of evidence but should automatically be believed. It seems more like attention seeking than anything.
    TStael said:

When the actual sexual assault happened, I handed over my jacket indicating where the frottaging individual had ejaculated, per the wet stain.

Belgian police never could extract the DNA evidence, purportedly, which would not have required that other girl to come and identify the man, besides me.

Omg, police required you to actually identify the accused since they couldn't get any DNA evidence, that is so evil of them. It's not like any other crime requires... Oh wait they do. If there was no other evidence than it's just your word against there's.
    TStael said:

To this day, I hope his arrest and standing in the line deterred him, but if this man escalated further to rape women, it shall have been a failure of the Belgium police. There could have been the DNA evidence.

How is it their fault that DNA couldn't be extracted? You just say they couldn't do it you didn't say why? You just placed blame on them as if they were against you for some unknown reason.
    TStael said:

At age seven we were your "fair" females. We were traumatised, but too ashamed and horrified, and not supported to stop it

A grown man could jerk off at seven year old girls without punishment. And so it went on...

*Looks back up at the story about another man actually penetrating my anus with an erect penis.*

You can tell me as many stories as you want, but at the end of the day they are just that stories meant to be believed without evidence. Mine ate no different. I can sit here and tell you ever time a white person has be racist towards me but its still just stories required to be believe without any evidence provided.

Also, fyi
    I can be very empathetic if someone feels comfortable enough with me to share their story. I won't however won't when someone who is using it for attention or weaponizing it. There are only about four instances where just listening and believing is UNDERSTANDABLE, and that is if the victim is the daughter/son, mother/father, sister/brother or significant other to the individual hearing the story and that only do to the level of emotional attachment the individual hearing the story has to the storyteller. That doesn't make it the correct or logical choice, but it is understandable for that individual.
    Post edited by DragonKing on
    @dragonking So you are obviously against metoo, saying those who write under the hashtag are seeking attention, then you write about your own backstory, which surely sound like a tragic one. So if I was you, I would write you off as an attention seeker here on this forum, using your backstory to your own benefit, promoting your agenda. An agenda that seem to be to undermine the stories of thousands and thousands of women, many of them who I know personally and who I know are saying the truth.

It's lucky I am not you though, so I actually choose to believe your story and it breaks my heart to hear it. You're a paradoxical person, like some kind of weird stockholm syndrome. I know, the forum rules says I can write about what you write is something but I should never say that you as a person is something negative, so sorry about that. But you intrigue me, you're just so.. paradoxical.
    edited August 2018
    @Skatan
    Except I didn't even mention mine until @semiticgod god tried to use his mothers as a weaponized argument against me, but you'll obviously ignore that nugget of information because it doesn't fit into what you choose to believe. The difference between me and you is I don't expect you to believe, heck I don't care if you do.

Agenda, what agenda am i pushing, oh i forget skepticism and criticisms are agenda. But now im officially done with it so don't tag me anymore. I forgot people love their religions to death, even when they should always look at it with a questioning eye.
    I choose to believe in the truth. What you choose, however, I have no fricking idea about since your childish rantings are but an echo of the many other metoo-deniers and anti-feminists I've encountered on the internet since.. well since the birth of internet really. But you too choose to pick the cherries in the convo that fit the points you are trying to make, so you can toss accusations on me all you want, it'll just bounce right back at you. Cheers mate.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
    This argument has gotten way out of hand here. Thread closed.
This discussion has been closed.