Skip to content

BG:EE, SoD 2.5 patches, Infinity Engine fixes and features, + the additional 2.5 IWD:EE patch

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    It should have been live since Friday. Isn't it?
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited August 2018

It should have been live since Friday. Isn't it?

That is true for BGEE. SoD is still at v2.5.13 (March, 20th....)
    JuliusBorisovStummvonBordwehr
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Thank you. We'll investigate and fix it.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    Dang! It's about time! Great job!
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915

Thank you. We'll investigate and fix it.

IWD also has not updated on iOS (its at 2.5.16 still).
  • Nice to see so many features and bugfixes. Too bad the problem with Cleric/Thieves wasn't addressed yet. GOG version seems to be still stuck in 2.3. When is the update for GoG expected to arrive?
  • GaelicVigilGaelicVigil Member Posts: 111
    edited August 2018
    proffburd said:

Could you please give step by step instructions on how to do custom portraits on an iOS device? I would like to use custom portraits but don’t know how to convert to the format that I need to use on an iPad.

1. Highlight and select all of the portraits you want, right-click and Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder. Make sure it is in .zip format.
    2. Rename your zip file to any file name. bg1portrait. For example, if your file was named, "portraits.zip", you would rename it to, "portraits.bg1portrait".
    3. Send this file to your ios device (email, Dropbox, Google drive, USB, etc)
    4. When you attempt to open the file, ios will ask you, "Open with Baldur's Gate". Tap that and you're good to go.

This also works for many other folders like .bg1override for your override folder, for example. I'm using some modded character sprites in my game.
    JuliusBorisovproffburd
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234
    ThacoBell said:

Sjerrie said:

Isaya said:

Anprionsa said:

Sjerrie said:

While I very much welcome the patch, I was on a modded playthrough, nearing end-game, and of course Steam auto updates... Can I roll back to the previous version for a little while? And would that correct the errors i'm having?

There is no rollback option.
    Actually there is a rollback option. It's explained here.
    Unfortunately it won't bring back the mods configuration, most certainly.
    Many people advise making a complete copy of the game directory outside of Steam directory, and playing from that copy, in order to avoid such uncontrolled updates on your modded game environnement.
    Not the answer I'd hoped for, but thank you nonetheless. Sadly this is the second time this happened.

I'm going to try a full re-install, re-add the mods (i still have a config file from BWS) and hope the save file works. Would playing from a copy of the game directory interfere with Steam achievements?
    To save you some time, you don't need to do a complete re-install. Just have Steam re-verify your game files. It will wipe all your mods and restore the game to a clean state. Its MUCH faster. As for whether your save will still work? In my personal experience, no. Can't hurt to try though.
    Since I used Big World Setup, and saved my loadout for that in a different folder, almost everything is identical. Sofar the weirdest thing I've had is Valerie's name, which ended up being a random string, but that was easily fixed.

One question still remains though: would playing from a copy of the game directory interfere with Steam achievements?
    ThacoBell
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @JuliusBorisov
    A rather odd v2.x bug that was momentarily fixed in the BGEE beta, but is now present again:

Having a compressed *.zip archive in the game folder that contains only a non-empty folder named "override" will cause the game to crash immediately upon startup. There's probably other factors, but that was the simplest and consistent.

I suspect it's related to the Steam/GOG DLC mechanics, but I wouldn't know (all my games come through the beamdog client), and as override-dump mods are not too common anymore it was just random chance that it occurred.
    JuliusBorisov
  • MonotremataMonotremata Member Posts: 78

Nice to see so many features and bugfixes. Too bad the problem with Cleric/Thieves wasn't addressed yet. GOG version seems to be still stuck in 2.3. When is the update for GoG expected to arrive?

GoG just updated my Icewind Dale to 2.5.17 already, but still stuck at 2.3.67 on BG1. Think I might have to reinstall BG1 though, its being a bit weird in GoG Galaxy since my last Time Machine restore.. Still don't think they've updated it yet though. IWD and BG2 got them almost right away, still waiting so I can finally continue my BG1 game though.
    @kjeron We'd really appreciate if you reported it on Redmine.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    @JuliusBorisov Done
    Was doing more testing - appears it might be related to compression method of the archive.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    Well, GOG in now on 2.5. Rejoice !

@JuliusBorisov I haven't tried yet, but do we still need modmerge now ?
    JuliusBorisov
    Yes, it's still required (for modding BG:EE+SoD on GOG and Steam). Although there's now an alternative to it: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/71305/mod-dlc-merger-merge-steam-gog-sod-dlc-or-custom-dlcs-with-the-main-game
    Arctodus
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    edited August 2018
    Icewind Dale has updated on iOS for me last night. Nothing for Siege of Dragonspear yet.
    StummvonBordwehr
    Yes, it's still in review at the App Store.
    StummvonBordwehrspacejaws
  • MonotremataMonotremata Member Posts: 78
    And woohoo, GoG Galaxy is updating BG:EE to 2.5 right now!!!
    JuliusBorisov
  • WarMachineWarMachine Member Posts: 7
    Are there any plans to publish .pdf patch notes describing the 2.5 fixes and features like was done with previous versions of these games?
    Aerakar
    Unfortunately, no.
    bleusteel
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    Siege of Dragonspear update just download for me on iOS!

Also...is there any paticular reason the update notes are kinda...piratey? Transcript below.

A fair wind favours the Sword Coast today as the 2.5 update arrives in Baldur’s Gate! After weeks of waiting on becalmed seas, our swashbuckling team of developers have released a patch filled with features and fixes.

Not that I’m complaining. :)
    Thanks for all you do!
    StummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisovAedanAerakar
    Yes, GOG and iOS players, enjoy! The Mac App Store is next.
    spacejaws said:

Also...is there any paticular reason the update notes are kinda...piratey? Transcript below.

A fair wind favours the Sword Coast today as the 2.5 update arrives in Baldur’s Gate! After weeks of waiting on becalmed seas, our swashbuckling team of developers have released a patch filled with features and fixes.

Reminds a bit about a "blaggard" Dorn from old times. :smiley:
    spacejaws
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222

Should I just uninstall and reinstall the whole thing or is there an easier way to proceed with BG:EE steam? It could be a problem because of modmerge or edit of lua file or something like that?

It could very well be that mods are preventing BG:EE from opening. I just tested it with an unmodded BG:EE on Steam and could easily start.

Make sure you delete everything in the override folder.

Thank you. I have verified the game files in steam and deleted all files in override folder. That allowed me to load some saves and retrieve the characters via export. I can speedrun/cheese my way back to where I left off with pre-patch saves.

Sorry for the questions to follow but this is the first time I have dealt with updates on steam version.

Do I need to delete out any mod files? I only used modmerge, unfinished business and bg1NPC previously. They have installer files in \steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition folder and also there are folders in that directory called bg1npc and bg1ub. I would like to download and reinstall the latest versions of these. Any other tips or suggestions of components to leave out due to patch changes?

Should I reinstall the existing modmerge or get the newer DLC merger mod?

@AstroBryGuy your knowledge might be invaluable here :*

I also have the edited Baldur.lua in my documents (confirmed that console is still enabled), do I need to do anything further with this?
    edited August 2018
    @Very_BigSword If you want to reinstall the latest versions of these mods, I recommend to delete both the mod installers and folders in your gaming directory.

You can use either the ModMerge or the DLC merger mod.

The Baldur.lua file shouldn't be affected - you can always edit it as you want.
    StummvonBordwehrAerakarVery_BigSword

@Very_BigSword If you want to reinstall the latest versions of these mods, I recommend to delete both the mod installers and folders in your gaming directory.

You can use either the ModMerge or the DLC merger mod.

The Baldur.lua file shouldn't be affected - you can always edit it as you want.

@JuliusBorisov thank you. Fast, succinct and exactly what I needed to know.
    JuliusBorisov
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited August 2018

Should I just uninstall and reinstall the whole thing or is there an easier way to proceed with BG:EE steam? It could be a problem because of modmerge or edit of lua file or something like that?

It could very well be that mods are preventing BG:EE from opening. I just tested it with an unmodded BG:EE on Steam and could easily start.

Make sure you delete everything in the override folder.

Thank you. I have verified the game files in steam and deleted all files in override folder. That allowed me to load some saves and retrieve the characters via export. I can speedrun/cheese my way back to where I left off with pre-patch saves.

Sorry for the questions to follow but this is the first time I have dealt with updates on steam version.

Do I need to delete out any mod files? I only used modmerge, unfinished business and bg1NPC previously. They have installer files in \steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition folder and also there are folders in that directory called bg1npc and bg1ub. I would like to download and reinstall the latest versions of these. Any other tips or suggestions of components to leave out due to patch changes?

Should I reinstall the existing modmerge or get the newer DLC merger mod?

@AstroBryGuy your knowledge might be invaluable here :*

I also have the edited Baldur.lua in my documents (confirmed that console is still enabled), do I need to do anything further with this?
    @Very_BigSword - I am working on finalizing updates for BG1UB and BG1NPC (checking components for additional conflicts with BGEE v2.5), but there were a lot of dialogue file additions/changes. Making sure that dialogue states are correct is taking some time. Also I am currently quite busy IRL (start of a new semester). It may be a week or so.

For BG1UB, check the BGEE v2.5 release notes and don't install components that would conflict with BGEE v2.5 additions (e.g., Mysterious Vial, Branwen & Tranzig, Tazok & Kivan, Kagain's Quest).

http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/08/updates-to-baldurs-gate-enhanced.html

For BG1NPC, there's no components to skip, but there may be conflicts between new BGEE v2.5 content and BG1NPC content.
    JuliusBorisovAerakarVery_BigSword
  • rede9rede9 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,947
    Will you port Area of Effect spell markers from IWD to BG in the short time?
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    @rede9 it's already there. The same lua setting works for BG:EE and BG2:EE ;)
    rede9
    lefreut said:

@rede9 it's already there. The same lua setting works for BG:EE and BG2:EE ;)

Come on, it's a SEEEECREEEET! ;)
    Aerakar

@Very_BigSword - I am working on finalizing updates for BG1UB and BG1NPC (checking components for additional conflicts with BGEE v2.5), but there were a lot of dialogue file additions/changes. Making sure that dialogue states are correct is taking some time. Also I am currently quite busy IRL (start of a new semester). It may be a week or so.

For BG1UB, check the BGEE v2.5 release notes and don't install components that would conflict with BGEE v2.5 additions (e.g., Mysterious Vial, Branwen & Tranzig, Tazok & Kivan, Kagain's Quest).

http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/08/updates-to-baldurs-gate-enhanced.html

For BG1NPC, there's no components to skip, but there may be conflicts between new BGEE v2.5 content and BG1NPC content.

Thanks, I have a very busy week too so I will wait for the release. If you are anything like me the 1 week forecast will be optimistic. Don't worry too much about that. Quality takes time and attracts less aggro! Appreciate your work, I just can't imagine playing without BG1NPC.
    AerakarZaghoul