Skip to content

"Unaffected by effects from the flail of ages +4"

Why do i sometimes see this message? It last happened on a Nabassu. I have the acid, fire, cold and poison heads.

And for some reason i cannot deal the finishing blow to trolls after upgrading it to +4, because the game complains that the troll is immune to all 4 heads...wtf? The +3 version works though.

Comments

• EnuhalEnuhal Member Posts: 920
    This, sadly, is a known bug introduced with adding the poison head to the flail. Creatures that are immune to poison are for some reason immune to the entire effect of the flail, if I remember corretly.
    monico
  • Durmir46Durmir46 Member Posts: 110
    It may also be the slow effect that your ennemies are immune to, rather than the damage.
    semiticgoddess
  • Question2Question2 Member Posts: 74
    I looked at the files, it looks like if a creature is immune to poison, they made it immune to the entire weapon which is really weird. They shouldnt need to do that because the poison damage should be affected by poison resist anyway.
    Durmir46semiticgoddess
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited August 2018
    Thanks for the feedback. This bug is known and will be fixed. https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/38288
    BorekDurmir46GusindaAerakar
  • sorcerinsorcerin Member Posts: 58
    edited January 2021
    Post edited by sorcerin on
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    it should be very easy to do a quick fix modifying the flail opcode order like suggested in the link posted by @JuliusBorisov with some modding tool and then dropping it in the override folder.
    now i don't have modding tools for EE, only for the original, but is an easy work.
    if some modder reads here and has a way to make the file available for us is a 5 min work to do it.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Does anyone know how to fix this? I have taken a peek in Near Infinity but I can't make heads or tails of it. I find that sometimes I'm able to change things in there, if it's, say, a simple enchantment level, or checking/unchecking boxes, but other times there are codes, etc... that I don't understand.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @OrlonKronsteen, this file has the BLUN30C.itm order changed in accordance with the bug report fix. Haven't tested it as I don't have a suitable save (actually don't have any saves at the moment as I have just rebuild my game) but give it a go and see if it works. You should just be able to unpack the file directly into your 'override' folder. Just check first to make sure you don't already have one there. If you do just make a backup for Justin Case.

Of course, as it states in the bug report, this has been fixed for v2.6 so throw the file out when that happens.

Let me know if all goes well.
    Gus
    OrlonKronsteenJuliusBorisov
    Thank you so much, @Gusinda! Changing that opcode order was exactly what I was trying to do, but, using Near Infinity and poking around through BLUN30C.ITM, I couldn't find an order string resembling the one in the bug report. I was pulling my hair out trying to find it. In fact, I've never been able to find a single opcode. I know they exist because I hear about them all the time on these forums, but I've never actually seen one. To me they're like super-strings in physics (not that I know much about those, either), or the Easter bunny. I'm going to have to ask folks in one of the modding threads (or start a thread of my own) because it's driving me crazy.

Again: thank you so much! :) I will test it as soon as I can, but work has thrown yet another wrench in my gaming plans, so it might not be until tonight or tomorrow sometime.
    JuliusBorisovGrond0Gusinda
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Deities of Faerûn will have in its next version a fix for both the FoA +4 and FoA +5.
    StummvonBordwehrOrlonKronsteenGusinda
    Raduziel wrote: »
    Deities of Faerûn will have in its next version a fix for both the FoA +4 and FoA +5.

What’s wrong with the +5 version???
  • Humanoid_TaifunHumanoid_Taifun Member Posts: 1,055
    edited March 2019
    @OrlonKronsteen It has the same problem.
    RaduzielGusindaOrlonKronsteenStummvonBordwehr
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    edited March 2019
    Hi @Humanoid_Taifun & @OrlonKronsteen, did some testing and the order change seems to do the job. @Humanoid_Taifun, you might be reading the 'Unaffected...' statement from the poison damage immunity.

I consoled in the flails and some creatures and was able to bring down Trolls, Nabassu, and Golems using the modified FoA+4 and FoA+5, all with elemental damage showing (except poison which shows as creature being unaffected). When I removed the modified files out of the override folder (the rest of the game is vanilla), I couldn't kill get any elemental damage to & the troll stayed on the ground waiting to die...

Attached is the modified file for the FoA+5 with the order changed.

Gus
    OrlonKronsteenStummvonBordwehr
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    In case someone wants to make a standalone mod to fix this, here is the code DoF uses:
    //Fix for an issue with the Flail of Ages

ACTION_IF GAME_IS ~bg2ee eet~ BEGIN

COPY_EXISTING ~BLUN30.itm~  override
    LPF DELETE_EFFECT   INT_VAR    match_opcode = 324                      match_parameter2 = 55                                                           END
    LPF DELETE_EFFECT   INT_VAR    match_opcode = 324                      match_parameter2 = 77                                                           END
    LPF DELETE_EFFECT   INT_VAR    match_opcode =  12                      match_parameter2 = 2097152                                                      END
    LPF ADD_ITEM_EFFECT INT_VAR type = 1 opcode = 324 target = 2                 parameter2 = 55                              STR_VAR resource = ~BLUN30~  END
    LPF ADD_ITEM_EFFECT INT_VAR type = 1 opcode = 324 target = 2                 parameter2 = 77                              STR_VAR resource = ~BLUN30~  END
    LPF ADD_ITEM_EFFECT INT_VAR type = 1 opcode =  12 target = 2 parameter1 = 2  parameter2 = 2097152 timing = 1 dicesize = 6                              END
    BUT_ONLY IF_EXISTS

COPY_EXISTING ~BLUN30C.itm~ override
    LPF DELETE_EFFECT   INT_VAR    match_opcode = 324                      match_parameter2 = 55                                                           END
    LPF DELETE_EFFECT   INT_VAR    match_opcode = 324                      match_parameter2 = 77                                                           END
    LPF DELETE_EFFECT   INT_VAR    match_opcode =  12                      match_parameter2 = 2097152                                                      END
    LPF ADD_ITEM_EFFECT INT_VAR type = 1 opcode = 324 target = 2                 parameter2 = 55                              STR_VAR resource = ~BLUN30C~ END
    LPF ADD_ITEM_EFFECT INT_VAR type = 1 opcode = 324 target = 2                 parameter2 = 77                              STR_VAR resource = ~BLUN30C~ END
    LPF ADD_ITEM_EFFECT INT_VAR type = 1 opcode =  12 target = 2 parameter1 = 1  parameter2 = 2097152 timing = 1 dicesize = 6 STR_VAR                      END
    BUT_ONLY IF_EXISTS

END

OrlonKronsteenStummvonBordwehrGusinda
    @Gusinda and @Raduziel - you are both true heroes of the Realms. Thank you so much.
    RaduzielStummvonBordwehrGusinda
  • GLoBaLGLoBaL Member Posts: 13
    Heyo @gorgonzola @Raduziel @OrlonKronsteen . I've dl'd his zip and extracted it. how do i get it into the override folder?

Thanks for your time!
    First time playing the flail into ToB
    @GLoBaL it depends on your installation.
    i run a steam version and the path is
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition\lang\de_DE
    if you run an other game version go to C: and do a search for override

when you have found it just copy there the file you have extracted.

you can also consider to make a backup somewhere of the folder, so you can revert to the original condition if you will ever need it.
    Thank you I have done as you said! appreciate it!
    Heyo, trying to fully understand this bug and if I've actually resolved.

I've copied both files (first individually, then combined) to the override folder as @gorgonzola has said.

When hitting "burning man" and "fell cat" in yaga-shura's lair, i'm able to deal damage with charname wielding flail of ages +4, yet i'm still getting the "Unaffected by effects from the flail of ages +4" message, and I don't seem to be dealing any of the bonus elemental damages.

Is this intended, or have I done it wrong?

Thanks again.

8ffsoec10c05.png
    edited February 2020
    sorry, i was convinced that it should work.
    also @Gusinda tells:
    Gusinda wrote: »
    When I removed the modified files out of the override folder (the rest of the game is vanilla), I couldn't.....
    that seems to confirm what i told, the files extracted from the zip should be put in that folder and the fix should work, removing them the fix is no more working.
    the game, for all that is not hard coded, looks at that folder and if finds an item (but is true also for more complex mods) with the same name of a vanilla one uses the one in that folder.

i don't know why it did not work for you, i hope that some one else can help you.

No worries @gorgonzola . not your problem! we need that beamdog 2.6 patch.

I saw mentioned something about NearInfinity, anyone here know if that's a thing that works to solve this problem? @JuliusBorisov @OrlonKronsteen @Gusinda

Cheers.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    edited February 2020
    For some reason the Flail of Ages, both the +4 and the +5 version, is using the "immunity to spell and message" effect, opcode 324, targeting entry 55, which actually targets entry 1 (general = undead) and entry 27 (race=golem), as well as entry 77 (resist poison >= 100). The Burning Man counts as a golem and the Fell Cat has a poison resistance of 100.

Here is where the problem occurs: the "immunity to spell and message" opcode targets resource blun30c.itm (the +4 version, and the +5 version targets blun30.itm), so none of the incidental effects from the Flail of Ages can target those creatures whatsoever, not even the "slow" opcode. The physical damage gets through, but *none* of the side-effects will. It *will* give you the "unaffected" message that you are seeing, though--that is coming from opcode 324.

My suggestion: take opcode 324 out of the melee effects on the flail's .itm files. Golems are already 100% poison resistant, so it will then take the fire, cold, and acid damage, as well as the phyiscal damage, but not the poison. The Fell cat would be in the same boat--it would take all damage to which it is susceptible, as well as probably being slowed, but won't take poison damage.

I will test it this evening and let you know how it turns out; I am highly confident that this will resolve the difficulty, but it is best to try it out first.
    gorgonzolaOrlonKronsteen
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Don't know about a NearInfinity solution but the 2.6 patch should fix it, when it is released, according to the Redmine ticket.
    edited February 2020
    That makes sense--my version is still 2.5.16.6. I will still test out the interim solution this evening though.

That opcode, if I recall, was originally in the IWD/HoW engine but not in the SoA/ToB version...but that was years ago and I could be mistaken.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited February 2020
    @GLoBaL You seem to have put the files in the incorrect override folder. See this post and the one directly below it for more info.

To summarize: you put the files in the override folder inside the German language directory. This folder only functions if the game is played in that language. You need to put the files in the override folder inside the game's base installation folder. Note that you may need to create a folder there if it does not already exist.
    JuliusBorisovgorgonzolaMathsorcererOrlonKronsteen
    Confirmed: the "immunity to spell and message" opcode is the culprit here. New game, in dungeon, console in the Flail +4, attack the jailkeep golem--physical damage followed by the "unaffected" message and nothing else. Remove the opcode then try again--physical damage, fire damage, cold damage, immune to acid, immune to poison, no "unaffected" message.

Should I bother uploading corrected .itm files or is everyone comfortable editing that on their own...or do you just want to wait for the 2.6 patch?
    Grond0OrlonKronsteen
    Thanks again to the modders and experts for stepping in here.

@GLoBaL Sorry I didn't see your comment and respond to it earlier. I'm afraid I'm not to great with modding or fixing complex problems. Fortunately, we have a great community with people who are.

@Mathsorcerer I think it would be a great service to the community if you posted the files here. Another great thing would be if you or one of the other aces could show us how to find an opcode. I have used Near Infinity for basic modding (changing items that have basic effect flags, putting things in containers, etc.) but I've never been able to find an opcode. This Flail of Ages issue is a specific example. I tried to find the opcodes and reorder them as per the bug report fix, but despite combing around for hours in NI I can't find the little buggers.
    For NI, if you call up an item--blun30c, for one version of the Flail +4--then double-click on the melee effect, you will see the melee effects on it--damage, damage, damage, etc. Double-click on one of those--choose a "damage" one--and you will see that it says "damage (12)". The "12" is the opcode; the word "damage" is just a nice way for us to know what "12" means, just like "55" means "slay".

I will have to upload the edited items later this evening....but probably tomorrow morning.
    OrlonKronsteenGrond0