Skip to content

The General Questions Thread

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235

When forum members say "Canon" do they mean by BG's literature or games? Or are they symmetrical lore-wise?

Default to the games. The novels have been mostly "de-canoned" by Wizards anyway.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited July 2018
    I would say its a mixed bag. Wizards certainly solidified that Abdel Adrian (the protagonist of the novel) is the canon character. But beyond that the games probably would be treated as the go-to for lore (as long as it doesn't conflict with other writings - like Lands of Intrigue).
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Raduziel said:

Your name starting with a lowercase L makes you a hard man to tag.

Haha, same here.

• lnstructor_lnstructor_ Member Posts: 76
    Why was the druid kit Avenger named Avenger? What are they avenging? How does it relates to Druids at all? I get the Shapeshifter shapeshifts, The Totemic Druid chooses a Totem, but what does the Avenger avenge?
  • lnstructor_lnstructor_ Member Posts: 76
    Are the EE of Baldur's Gate games considered retro?
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    edited September 2018
    If anomen fails his test, do:
    1) all his banters actually change with all the npcs?
    2) do the banters change with only few selected npcs ?
    3) do the banters with the main protagonist change?
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    Are there command-line switches for the Infinity Engine games?
  • DeixterShawl33DeixterShawl33 Member Posts: 18
    Where can we ask for a feature on the forum that shows what we purchased on which platform we are playing at?
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    You can open a thread with a request in the Site Resources section.
    Now, i don't know how the forum engine actually works, but i think it would need much editing by hand, and implementation can be hard and very unlikely because of that.
  • SeorrSeorr Member Posts: 7
    Is it legal for Viconia to remain a priest of Shar and be granted spells even after alignment change in ToB? Or does she quietly turn to Eilistraee? I think it would be cool if post-change she'd have some unique dialogues with Rasaad (Or maybe she does? Haven't played the second EE yet.) and turn to Selune.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,437
    What's the reason for the Golden Girdle to be mage restricted in BG2 by the guest design?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @histamiini: I don't think there is one, actually.
  • histamiinihistamiini Member Posts: 1,437
    edited February 2019
    Yeah it seems random, couldn't think a reason either. Even in ToB EE were they added another one in the Rasaad's guest, it's still semi mage restricted as it's behind 95 locked door, so only mage (or thief) can open it. Which is funny because it's Rasaad's guest, yet in the end he can't even get the nice monk gear as a reward.
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    edited March 2019
    Throughout my recent IWD adventures, I have noticed something about Hold Person (and probably other similar spells, like Chromatic Orb). Attackers will seemingly never critically miss or critically hit a held/paralyzed/stunned/etc target. So I thought, obviously the mechanic is that you simply always hit.

I turned on attack rolls, but they don't show for these attacks. I also have cosmetic attacks disabled, which means every visual representation of a swing should be an actual swing. And this brings me to my issue - some of these entirely non-cosmetic attacks [against held targets, for mega clarity] do miss. What is the mechanic at play here?
  • enqenqenqenq Member Posts: 499
    I can confirm I had 3/2 APR at the times I was looking closely at this.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    The Black Pits are added in core BGEE or it is added by the DLC (SoD)?
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Raduziel wrote: »
    The Black Pits are added in core BGEE or it is added by the DLC (SoD)?

Core BGEE.
    Thanks!
    How the XP cap works for dual-classing?

It is based on the sum of all XP or in the XP of each class separately?

Thanks.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Raduziel wrote: »
    How the XP cap works for dual-classing?

It is based on the sum of all XP or in the XP of each class separately?

Thanks.

It's based on the sum of all XP. Assuming you are playing BG2 with ToB installed where the XP cap is 8,000,000, if you take a character to 2,000,000 XP and then dual-class them, they can reach 6,000,000 XP in the new class.
    @Montresor_SP Thanks, this info will help a lot in my next run.
  • avensisavensis Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2019
    Thank you for the information I find it very useful too.

I was just fighting Demogorgon, and it is spamming Implosion at me more than I remember, so I checked the script. Is this a bug?
    IF
    	Global("StoppedTime","LOCALS",2)
    	!GlobalTimerNotExpired("implosion","LOCALS")
    	RandomNum(3,1)
    	See(NearestEnemyOf(Myself))
    THEN
    	RESPONSE #100
    		SetGlobalTimer("firestorm","LOCALS",TWENTY_MINUTES)
    		IncrementGlobal("demospell","LOCALS",1)
    		ForceSpell(NearestEnemyOf(Myself),CLERIC_IMPLOSION)  // SPPR728.SPL (Implosion)
    END

It seems like the timer that gets set there should be implosion, right?
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @joluv: Yup. That's definitely a typo. Probably just a simple omission from copying over a block of code. Change the "firestorm" to "implosion" and the script should work as intended by whoever it is wrote that script.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    seeing as the new tales from baldur's gate comics are canon, and the comics mention Neera from the EE games, why is Larian studios making baldurs gate 3 and not beamdog?
    seeing as the new tales from baldur's gate comics are canon, and the comics mention Neera from the EE games, why is Larian studios making baldurs gate 3 and not beamdog?

I don't see what the comics have to do with the choice of game studios. The most likely reason is that Beamdog is a small studio that's never produced a full game from scratch and Larian is a large studio with a proven track record.
  • Mrpenfold666Mrpenfold666 Member Posts: 428
    BillyYank wrote: »

I don't see what the comics have to do with the choice of game studios. The most likely reason is that Beamdog is a small studio that's never produced a full game from scratch and Larian is a large studio with a proven track record.

True, but it occurred to me about intellectual property and the rise in baldur's gate's popularity. the games got enhanced were successful, beamdog created their own canon expansion in the baldur's gate series, their own characters have been featured in official comics that are canon, the success of these games preceded wizards to write a lot of D&D 5th edition modules set in baldur's gate and the sword coast....

and then beamdog have nothing to do with anything further? as happy as i am to FINALLY be getting baldur's gate three, I feel a bit betrayed that beamdog didn't get the chance to make the third game in the series.

of course if the Dev's weren't up to the challenge of making an entirely new game with a new engine (let's face it the infinity and aurora engines are old and tired) then that's completely understandable, but beamdog deserve input damnit!!
    I sincerely doubt that Beamdog owns the rights to the characters. WOTC is pretty strict about that. I posted a quote from R.A. Salvatore here a couple of years back where he said he was surprised when Drizzt showed up in BG1. WOTC hadn't bothered to tell him the character had a cameo in the game.