Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    @Grond0 Congrats on reaching Amn
    Grond0Corey_RussellCrevsDaak
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    edited September 2018

Just because its sprite is small doesn't mean it's not a real threat. Honestly, dying to the Salt Mephit is easier than dying to Irenicus at the Tree of Life.

Huh? The battle with Irenicus at the Tree of Life is, from my experience, one of the hardest fights in the game, at least for a solo character. In several playthroughs (one with a solo sorcerer, one with a solo fighter/mage), Irenicus killed me over and over again, often with Maze, and often with Power Word: Kill, which almost no other mage in the game casts. I honestly find Irenicus in Suldenessalar much harder than Irenicus in hell, never mind salt mephits.

I don't want to start a huge argument over this. I know that it's possible to kill Irenicus almost immediately with certain parties and tactics. I'm just saying that I've had much more trouble with Suldenessalar Irenicus than with salt mephits.
    lolien
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

Why bother completing quests when you can skip them and get extra Boots of Speed for doing so?

Possibly to get the extra XP while still getting all the items :p.
    StummvonBordwehrCrevsDaakWise_Grimwaldlolien
    edited September 2018
    Stealthstave died by acting in too risky a fashion near Greywolf, (New tactics have been worked out concerning him) but when Stealthstave started again in Candlekeep he was more effective. When he went to the training room he got buffed with bless and protection from evil whilst he used Deder's oil of speed himself. He then went straight to Mendas whilst he was fully buffed and took him out easily. By the time he got to the other assassins the spells had worn off but the oil of speed was still active. That was enough. He was able to take them on toe to toe and win.
    He went to the FAI where he used sleep to good effect against the hobgoblins, but they seemed to be resistant to sleep with the result that some running away was necessary.

In the first game Stealthstave had used the wand of frost against Zargos Flintblade.
    With the mods that I have installed he should have dropped his possessions when he froze, but he didn't with the result that the axe +1 was lost. I will have to remember that quirk for my new game.
    EnuhalStummvonBordwehrCrevsDaaklolien
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    @Wise_Grimwald said...

With the mods that I have installed he should have dropped his possessions when he froze, but he didn't with the result that the axe +1 was lost. I will have to remember that quirk for my new game.

If any enemy dies to cold damage, their equipment is lost. This is vanilla behavior. Thus, no cold damage should be used to kill a target if you want their loot. It's why I don't use cold damage much, though it's useful against the various wolves you encounter in BG 1 since they have no loot. You can use cold damage to whittle down a target's health, and as long as the cold damage itself doesn't get the "kill shot", then nothing is lost. Would be tricky to use it such a manner.
    AerakarCrevsDaaklolien

@Wise_Grimwald said...

If any enemy dies to cold damage, their equipment is lost. This is vanilla behavior. Thus, no cold damage should be used to kill a target if you want their loot. It's why I don't use cold damage much, though it's useful against the various wolves you encounter in BG 1 since they have no loot. You can use cold damage to whittle down a target's health, and as long as the cold damage itself doesn't get the "kill shot", then nothing is lost. Would be tricky to use it such a manner.
    For Zargos I think one or two blasts with the wand would be best. He takes a lot of killing.

Anyway back to Stealthstave Mark II. Things went much the same as Mark I. Once more he failed to help both Mellicamp and the werewolf. :( I was hoping for a different outcome there. He hasn't yet taken on Zargos or Greywolf opting instead to pick up the ring of fire protection and take Samuel to the FAI. He avoided many of the enemies on the road to Nashkel due to his poor armour. He used a lot of sleep spells against the gnoll at High Hedge and was pleasantly surprised at how effective it was against the ogrillon south of Beregost. (Better than against the gnoll.) He has switched from using a shortbow to using the sling +1 from Beregost Smithy. He is having to be very careful as he certainly isn't a tank! When he has gone up another two levels as a mage, he should be a bit more competant, IF he gets there. Perhaps Mark II also needs to enlist Rose's pickpocket spells.
    EnuhalStummvonBordwehrCrevsDaaklolien
  • Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 996
    @Wise_Grimwald Are you playing solo? The sleep wand from Thalantyr is an excellent investment for a non-tank character, it can help making kills easier, as well as be good defense in ambushes. This wand is usable by any character as long as they have 9 INT, and of course as long as a class doesn't prohibit it (such a wizard slayers)
    AerakarCrevsDaaklolien
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    What removed the arrow of dispel from your install ? @Enuhal

Was it IR? or SCS?
  • EnuhalEnuhal Member Posts: 920
    @Arthas SCS. It has an option to remove all dispelling arrows from stores, but the ones that can be found throughout the world are still around.
    StummvonBordwehr
    @Enuhal Well played.
    Enuhal
    edited September 2018
    New run with a Berserker/thief elf. The sub-race mod increased his Con by one and reduced Int by 1 if you choose wood elf as the sub-race. Str 18, Dex 19, Con 18, Int 17 Wis 17, Cha 8.
    He successfully pickpocketed Algernon's Cloak on the second attempt, but before he was challenged about his first attempt.
    So far no increases in rep despite giving Joia her ring, helping Mellicamp get back into shape, and getting Aiwell's beloved back into shape and taking a tome to Firebead. :(
    Can anyone explain that?
    @semiticgod Thanks for explanation below.
    At least he got the 1000 exp for helping Mellicamp and the +1 fire sword for helping the werewolf.
    He will now attempt to plunder Beregost.
    Post edited by Wise_Grimwald on
    EnuhalStummvonBordwehrAerakar
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Wise_Grimwald: If you're playing with SCS, there's a component that slows down reputation gain. But that slowdown is based on probabilities that depend on your install options: you might, for example, have a 50% chance of getting a reputation point every time you'd get one normally. Since it's random, it's entirely possible for you to do three good deeds but get 0 reputation points. The odds are the same as getting 3 reputation points: a 12.5% chance of getting a 50/50 chance three times in a row.
    Wise_GrimwaldCorey_RussellCrevsDaak
    @Mantis37 I don't consider door-dodging to be gamey. If you saw a spell coming straight at you, wouldn't you try and escape its effects by going through a door? Of course you might be somebody who thinks that spells should be able to go through doors. IMO that's for the game-makers to decide.
    CrevsDaaklolien