Skip to content

Beamdog announces the Dice, Camera, Action! Enhanced Edition voice and portrait pack

Comments

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Kilivitz said:

deltago said:

Allegedly, their legal issue with Beamdog was Atari selling the game on other distribution channels, something Beamdog didn’t agree too. That was worked out after the 3 months, hence Trent’s post.

That's not what happened. It was Atari who had Beamdog remove BG:EE from digital stores. The specific reasons were not made public but it's reasonable to assume it had to do with their filing for bankruptcy which happened around the same time.
    deltago said:

Atari’s very public legal fight with WotC probably had more to do with the announced released dates than anything else.

Atari's legal fight with Wizards had nothing to do with Baldur's Gate. It happened between 2009 and 2011 (almost a year before BG:EE was even announced), and it actually started with Wizards/Hasbro suing Atari over licensing the D&D IP to Namco-Bandai, which they claimed it was a breach of contract. Atari lost, by the way.
    deltago said:

It can still be said that Beamdog has more stable releases under their belt than unstable. And Atari (and time) is the common denominator I can count.

You would still have to explain how Atari keeps compromising these games after five years of being completely out of the picture as Beamdog is since then fully in charge of distributing the EEs. Is five years not enough time to fix the issues? Is Atari also responsible for the problems introduced by patches 2.0, 2.3 and 2.5?
    deltago said:

That and them keeping their mouth completely shut on what they working on to prevent a chorus of “what about now?” Noobsrs flooding and second guessing their approach on said release.

Are you saying that people second guessing their approach on internet forums affects the quality of their releases? How does that work exactly? Do they feel demotivated and don't put in as much effort when people criticize them? Do mean comments make the development team so distraught that they lose concentration and screw up the code?
    So you are becoming more and more hostile with each passing post, so this is the last time I am going to respond to you.

BG&BG2 have been stable for years. But go ahead and point to some mundane issue you’ve had since it’s release to justify your position, I do not care. Steam and Apple reviews claim otherwise. One or two people yelling how horrible Beamdog is doesn’t make it true.

Priorities (such as making SoD working on mobile) has been pushing back the last patch. That had to be stable and tested before everything else had to be stable and tested.

And second guessing their approach was the reason why we have long ass patch cycles for the IE games. IIRC it was Trent who asked on the forums what the community preferred, quick patches that fixed one or two issues at a time or large patches that fixed a bunch of things and made things stable. People chose option B. Guess what, the same people who asked for it were the same people who were wondering why patches were taking so long. People are going to be negative regardless of what they do, why give them more ammunition to play with?

Their patches for NWN have been more frequent though, so it’s looking promising, however, they need to get it on GoG ASAP, and they know that.

And If Atari’s legal fight (which I know they lost) was over before the games were even released, please tell me how they were the distributor? I’ll let you go review the timeline again. Wikipedia is a great place to start, but there is a reason why the games had a release date before any work was put into them.
    ThacoBell
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295

Excuse me for interrupting this all, but how is it relevant to the topic of this thread - the Dice, Camera, Action! Enhanced Edition voice and portrait pack DLC?

I think they are saying that Atari invented them

SilverstardeltagoRaduziel
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited September 2018

Excuse me for interrupting this all, but how is it relevant to the topic of this thread - the Dice, Camera, Action! Enhanced Edition voice and portrait pack DLC?

Back on topic, then. Any word what the VO will include? Just PC character sounds, or maybe some interDCA banter? IWD plot commentary for joinable NPCs? :wink:

PS - Not really expecting the last one, but some banter would be cool.
    bleusteel
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308

True enough, but I hope that's not merely cover to shut down critical posts. I would hope the divergent discussion (which for me is by far the more valuable and useful discussion) can be moved to an appropriate separate thread.
    Silverstar
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    deltago said:

And second guessing their approach was the reason why we have long ass patch cycles for the IE games. IIRC it was Trent who asked on the forums what the community preferred, quick patches that fixed one or two issues at a time or large patches that fixed a bunch of things and made things stable. People chose option B. Guess what, the same people who asked for it were the same people who were wondering why patches were taking so long. People are going to be negative regardless of what they do, why give them more ammunition to play with?

I don't think that anyone was expecting a patch cycle that takes that long when they picked option B.

In my head, it was like

"Hey guys, do you prefer to be punched or get the flu?"

"Flu!"

"Ok, swine flu to everyone!"

I wasn't around the community, so I can't really say how it worked.
    Silverstar
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    I apologize, and I do have a question regarding the new content:

Did the voice actors have any creative input on the lines they delivered or were they written by Beamdog?

Is there Banter was also asked, but it being asked again doesn’t hurt.
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited September 2018
    ThacoBell said:

This just in. The Infinity Engine series are not games.

To be fair to @kanisatha, the point he made is valid. It isn't that these aren't games. It's that these aren't Beamdog's games (originally). They aren't starting games from scratch, so to say Beamdog has made 5.5 games since 2009 isn't remotely accurate.

On the flip side, it is also inaccurate to discount the work they are doing on remakes. The IE games and NWN are complex games, and in many ways, dealing with old code that isn't yours is a monumental task for one game let alone five. I find it silly to criticize BD for not doing original games. They are doing great at what they do, even if they fall short in a few ways (such as content being behind on various platforms).

Back on topic, I do think it is realistic to express dissatisfaction with DLC for a niche audience that is tangentially related because it also happens to be about D&D. Discussions like this help BD know what we want and don't want. I would much rather have new content be relevant to the majority of Beamdog's audience: new expansions, new games, or at least content featuring what we already know and love about the games.
    Post edited by themazingness on
    RaduzielSilverstarkanisathaNostariel
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The work that had to be put in to work with and upgrade the IE like they have is monumental. Not to mention the complexity of NWN. They absolutely deserve to be credited as full games.
    Silverstar
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited September 2018
    ThacoBell said:

The work that had to be put in to work with and upgrade the IE like they have is monumental. Not to mention the complexity of NWN. They absolutely deserve to be credited as full games.

Honestly, I think you and we are more aligned than how I'm coming across. It is more work to do what they are doing. I think that is why they fall behind on getting every platform up to speed. I think it is to Beamdog's credit that they have taken on all these monumental tasks. You can't really compare what they do to other companies because nobody else is taking huge complex RPGs and bringing them into the the new century and it's tech.

But I also think it is why everyone is scratching their heads. There is so much to be done. Why spend resources on this tangent? Truth be told if I toss audience aside, I think like others have, "How cool would it be to be put in BG and IWD?" However, bringing it back to the players, most of us aren't interested in this YouTube series. And many of us don't want new characters added without some good reason--like expanded story.
    ThacoBell
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    I love you guys but you are bad at hype. <3

Was there a rights issue? Blink twice for yes, blink once for no!
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    ThacoBell said:

ThacoBell, as per usual, is right again
    ThacoBell
  • zenblackzenblack Member Posts: 100

New pathfinding problems are one bug. It's already in the works and will be fixed. Pathfinding in EEs, except for this new bug, is indeed better than in the original games. Freezing upon saving on Intel integrated graphic is a bug which is being worked on. And it has a working workaround.

I loathed to bring this up since Beamdog has an unreliable history but when you say "will be fixed" it doesn't say when. Does "release patches more often" equate to a year instead of 2-3? Or can we expect some sort of reasonable timeframe?
  • StaranStaran Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 295
    How many game companies specify “when” other than “soon”?
    ThacoBellPokota
  • Dragonfolk2000Dragonfolk2000 Member Posts: 377
    This is cool news. I'm a ProJared fan (Holly's pretty neat too) and seeing this kind of thing happen may mean I finally check out the Waffle Crew.
    ThacoBell
    Despite being a long time vocal supporter of Beamdog, I can personally say that the mods here have no qualms whatsoever with cracking down on EVERYONE who breaks the site rules.
    bleusteelOrlonKronsteenStummvonBordwehr
    I think people are so used to mods and fan fix packs that they really forget just how absurdly buggy the original games were.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    edited September 2018
    @Kilivitz

I fixed all these problems by sticking with 1.3 on steam ;)
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @JuliusBorisov the inevitable Mac App Store question - is the plan for the pending App Store release to have the pathfinding bug fix, or to wait for our next patch after that? I'm nervous that with a patch release cycle averaging a patch every couple of years if we are lucky, it could be a long wait if we don't get that first time around, but equally nervous about deferring those patches any further, so not sure which answer I would prefer!
  • anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246
    The channel on youtube is in trouble? the channel icon disappeared
    :o
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

Back on topic, then. Any word what the VO will include? Just PC character sounds, or maybe some interDCA banter? IWD plot commentary for joinable NPCs? :wink:

PS - Not really expecting the last one, but some banter would be cool.
    Check out http://blog.beamdog.com/2018/09/september-07-livestream-recap.html
    Zaghoul
This discussion has been closed.