Skip to content

Baldurs Gate Meme Thread II: Enhanced Edition (Careful, everyone, SPOILERS!)

Comments

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    JoenSo said:

Enemies in ToB be like

i've stopped using this strategy years ago with my arcane spell casters, in the unmodded game ( even on insane ) it is actually completely unnecessary to do this :)
    ThacoBell
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    Well, I was personally expecting @semiticgod to show up and explain that TS+IA is actually a suboptimal use of your aura. Alas, he didn’t show up. Yet ?
    semiticgoddesslolien
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Arctodus: You might be thinking of @Lord_Tansheron, who has criticized Time Stop as an inefficient spell. As for me, I don't use Improved Alacrity much since my mages' spell slots are generally reserved for defensive and utility options (emptying a spellbook to deal damage isn't something I normally do), and I mostly use Time Stop to get automatic hits.

I do think Time Stop and Improved Alacrity are a bit over-valued as a combo, though, simply because their roles are redundant: they both let you fire off multiple spells before the enemy can react.
    ArctodusThacoBelllolien
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    JoenSo said:

Enemies in ToB be like

ZA WARUDO!
    ThacoBell
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    I look for entertaining strategies in this game - not efficient ones.
    ThacoBellMontresor_SPlolien
  • SjerrieSjerrie Member Posts: 1,234

(Yes I know that's not how it works :p )
    mlneveseMontresor_SPEnialusMeliamne
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Nonono, the next step is to just cast Insect Plague (full stop). THEN move on to CTRL-Y.
    Montresor_SPsarevok57mlnevese
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975

HAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHA
    Montresor_SP
    mlnevese said:

The next natural step is CTRL+Y :)

The next natural Stephen is Ultra Instinct.
    ZaramMaldovar
  • The_Potty_1The_Potty_1 Member Posts: 436
    A fairly simple but reliable strategy is to load 3 ADHW into a chain contingency, triggered on seeing an enemy. Pair it with 3 lower resistances in a spell trigger for dragons, and you're set.

There's a bit of a lag between where you see an enemy, and the contingency firing, which is good, because it allows your spell trigger to hit first. I once took out the Suldanessar dragon like that before anyone else could get a shot off.
    Sjerrie
  • JoenSoJoenSo Member Posts: 910
    Homer sums up my views on cheese pretty well.
    mlneveseSjerrieShapiroKeatsDarkMageEnialusMeliamne
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @Timbo0o0o0
    Yeah, that soultaker plot hole aggravates me to no end. I'm willing to accept that TOTSC isn't canon, but it has to be if the soultaker dagger exists. And if it is canon, the Soultaker Dagger can't still exist in SOD.

The paradox, it hurts.

mlneveseShapiroKeatsDarkMageDev6Montresor_SP

@Timbo0o0o0
    Yeah, that soultaker plot hole aggravates me to no end. I'm willing to accept that TOTSC isn't canon, but it has to be if the soultaker dagger exists. And if it is canon, the Soultaker Dagger can't still exist in SOD.

The paradox, it hurts.

Really? How so? I recall charname saying they lost the dagger at the end, and Stoneblade ASSUMES that its power was drained. But nothing in the game confirms it.
    Dev6
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    @ThacoBell
    It's because the dagger was broken to summon Aec'Lectec so it can't exist after the events of TOTSC, which have to be canon if the dagger exists.
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211

@Arctodus: You might be thinking of @Lord_Tansheron, who has criticized Time Stop as an inefficient spell.

More precisely, I don't consider Time Stop an efficient OFFENSIVE spell, but rather think of it as one of the ultimate DEFENSIVE spells. That's not to say it doesn't have offensive uses, of course (preventing enemies from activating defensive abilities, for example) but it comes at a steep cost if you're playing with a party because you're also disabling all your other party members. In most (but not all) combat scenarios the EV for total damage per round will be negative because of that.

Much of the perceived offensive nature I would posit simply stems from the "time" flavor of the spell, which somehow suggests that no time is passing (it is, though, that's why you can do things and also why periodicals keep ticking and buff/debuff timers keep running). If the spell simply said "stuns every unit except the caster" people would evaluate it differently, I think, despite it effectively functioning the same (with small exceptions).
    ArctodussemiticgoddessAndreaColombo
    JoenSo said:

Homer sums up my views on cheese pretty well.

Mmmh. 64 slices of american cheese.

This is how it feels.

#supportThac0Bell
    :)

What's Soultaker again?
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    Did you play SOD?
    ThacoBell
    Aedan said:

@ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    Did you play SOD?

I played It until a quest breaking glitch happened.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    The Soultaker is related to SOD. Play it and you will understand :)
    ThacoBell
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719
    One does not simply substitute Boromir! :tongue:
    AedanSjerrie

@ThacoBell
    It's because the dagger was broken to summon Aec'Lectec so it can't exist after the events of TOTSC, which have to be canon if the dagger exists.

Does the game actually confirm it was broken? StoneBlade certainly ASSUMES it to so, without even seeing it. Besides, Irenicus is an epic level mage. Even if Soultaker was broken (again, no confirmation), he should have the ability to repair.I mean, a mage at some point created it to begin with.
    ThacoBell said:

@ThacoBell

Does the game actually confirm it was broken? StoneBlade certainly ASSUMES it to so, without even seeing it. Besides, Irenicus is an epic level mage. Even if Soultaker was broken (again, no confirmation), he should have the ability to repair.I mean, a mage at some point created it to begin with.
    Soultaker is a Stormbringer pastiche?