ThacoBell said:

TImed quests? Hard pass.

i love timed quests. fallout had them
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    bob_veng said:

ThacoBell said:

TImed quests? Hard pass.

And Fallout has not aged well at all. I'd go so far as to call it the worst rpg that people remember fondly.
    sarevok57MERLANCE
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270

They definitely needed to add Bokken giving you AOE stuff and a tip to take on the spider swarms!

"yeah I need those berries from the spider cave OH AND BY THE WAY I RECOMMEND TAKING SOME ALCHEMIST'S FIRE JUST IN CASE THERE'S SPIDER SWARMS which I conveniently have for sale"

problem solved
    ThacoBell
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    edited September 2018
    ThacoBell said:

bob_veng said:

ThacoBell said:

TImed quests? Hard pass.

And Fallout has not aged well at all. I'd go so far as to call it the worst rpg that people remember fondly.
    disagreed. it aged very well. no big problems with that game from a modern player's experience.

edit: for example, look at UnderRail, a very well received and moderately successful fallout clone. fallout is objectively better on most measures, especially writing and setting - so if a contemporary inferior fallout clone does well, fallout itself simply, logically, can't be dated
    GamingFreak
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    ThacoBell said:

TImed quests? Hard pass.

hard pass, or easy pass? ;)
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    It's only EasyPass if you're on a state highway. ;)

https://www.ezpassnj.com/en/home/index.shtml
    sarevok57smeagolheart
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    edited September 2018

Thanks, scriver i honestly will wait until bugs got fixed and people made good walktroughts....

Here it is, it's the spot down by along the river (the other one is the spider cave). Also, on a second playthrough, it turns out it is the nymph who tells the way ahead in the most clear way. Oleg is very vague in what he says but he mentions looking along the river too.

edit: Also Jhod Kavanekeanenan turns out to be an NPC in this area, not the area itself, I misremembered.

Post edited by scriver on
    Dorcus
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited September 2018
    ThacoBell said:

TImed quests? Hard pass.

It's really no different than Kivan's timer in Baldur's Gate, though I'm sure the actual time-frame is. I'm pretty sure Xzar and Montaron have one as well. And of course, the water-chip in Fallout. Granted, I don't even like Fallout 1, but MOST people seem to think it's a masterpiece.
    I think it's 20-30 days for both Xzar and Montanan and Khalid and Jaheira. Also Minsc will leave if you don't rescue Dynaheir. These were from the original game. I don't think EE has changed anything in that regard.

ThacoBell said:

TImed quests? Hard pass.

It's really no different than Kivan's timer in Baldur's Gate, though I'm sure the actual time-frame is. I'm pretty sure Xzar and Montaron have one as well. And of course, the water-chip in Fallout. Granted, I don't even like Fallout 1, but MOST people seem to think it's a masterpiece.
    I don't use those characters. And all that's required is to walk to an area that's open from the start. My understanding is that Chaper 1 in this is timed in its entirety?
    No, as long as you go to Nashkel and talk to the mayor, the timer is stopped at that point. The one with Dynaheir, you actually have to rescue her to stop the timer.
    LadyRhian said:

No, as long as you go to Nashkel and talk to the mayor, the timer is stopped at that point. The one with Dynaheir, you actually have to rescue her to stop the timer.

I meant for Pathfinder, I'm aware of all the timers for BG1 (and they are really easy to stop) ;)
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    LadyRhian said:

I think it's 20-30 days for both Xzar and Montanan and Khalid and Jaheira. Also Minsc will leave if you don't rescue Dynaheir. These were from the original game. I don't think EE has changed anything in that regard.

by the looks of it, you have 9 days with xzar and monty, 12 days with jaheira and khalid, 10 days with minsc and depending on what chapter you find kivan you either have 3 weeks ( chapter 1 ) 2 weeks ( chapter 2 ) 1 week ( chapter 3 )
    LadyRhianJuliusBorisov
    Aha. Thanks, @sarevok57!
    sarevok57
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    The 90 days timer isn't too bad, and does add a sense of urgency to things. I screwed up badly and visited some spots in the wrong order and had to return to areas, and still finished with 13 days left and had explored everywhere I wasn't wiped out at.

The stronghold does have a lot of timed events, though. Where you're clearly having to pick which things you want to get done, since they will expire. These are just activities you assign advisors to, though. I actually really dig this sort of thing, since it makes replaying more interesting and you can get a different story out of the game.

It is pretty brutal. I pretty regularly get wiped on normal difficulty. I'm probably not playing the most optimal build, and what I think I know from the nwn games has thrown me off a lot.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Spoiler alert for Chapter 1 (I think, I haven't kept records of Chapers)

I've haven't come so far, just went from Oleg's crossing and downwards. Skipped the spider cave and walked towards th eThorns Ford. Met an old guy who told me about Turtuccio so since that tomb was on the way to the bandit camp, I went there first. I am feeling pressure from time, so I did my best to take things in the "best" order. Found turtuccio, won the fight and followed him out. Kept following the sinlge tracks and found him impersonating a kobold. Once that encounter ended I got the message I took too long and all bandits would have left Thorns by now. Felt a bit bummed but I realize this game is about choice, so no biggy. Went there as my next stop and fought some leftover bandits and then moved on towards the cabin in the woods. After doing that, Linzi got kidnapped by slavers. So now I have two options, either push the story or go for linzi. I am thinking I need linzi, so will get her first. The reason is I get slaughtered in pretty much every single encounter and need all the meat I can get so that at least 1 or 2 survives. Had a bad run of saves and ended up in a random encounter without the possibiblity to reload from before where I had like three bandits in the front and three from behind. Tried it 5 times, died horribly, and here I am now. I probably have to roll back and hope I have an old autosave from after the cabin at least, becuase this fight is not possible for a level 2 team with charname monk/druid, Valerie fighter, Amiri Barb, Harrin Cleric.

I think this game push me for maxing out AC. the only one that survives a few attacks is Valeire with her ~24 AC. All of the rest of the team with about ~17 AC get slaughtered. I tried going from Challenging to Normal (but with "normal" enemies) and had to bump down enemy crit hits from 1.0 to "weak", because they hit to hard and to often.

I find the game hard to balance resting and the time limit. I don't mind time limits per se, but it kinda messes with my head a bit since I try to not use the very few spell slots I have to avoid resting too much. But without using them, I die. If I re-roll I would definately just go pure defensive fighter and max AC. If I had two of those characters, then perhaps I could keep all squishies in the middle and maybe I could live a bit longer.

I like most of the mechanics, but I struggle with some of the changes, ie the bard song that is finite. My guy is a sensei and he has 6 round of "bard song" (monk song?), and linzi has 15 or 16. So for the monk it's one fight and for linzi another 2 or maybe 3. Though the +1 is no game-breaker but I need all the BAB I can get cause my guys miss alot.

Just some random rambling from a confused guy about 4-5 hours into the game, hehe..
    DrHappyAngry
    @Skatan

Totally agree, anybody without high AC on the front line gets beat on pretty bad. Really starting to wish I had put more points into Dex/Con for my Bard/Barb, but hoping once I get those sweet Dragon Disciple levels, it'll get easier. I started off on challenging, thinking "Oh ya, it'll be like Core Rules," and regularly would have the closest character slaughtered in round 1 before I could do anything. Normal feels about right, though still really hard. Most of the time I just assume I need to come back later if I can't deal with an area.

Go after the slavers first. I know this is in a spoiler tag, but I'll refrain from telling you why, but trust me, it'll be worth it.

I actually really dig the resting system, it's so much like an old school PnP game. I just wish supplies didn't weigh so much, and you got more from hunting.
    Skatan
    I hate timed quests more than anything (Except maybe weapon degrading), and timing an entire chapter is utter bull. Passing on this game.
    no weapon degradation here as far as I can tell but plenty of encumbrance! everybody loves encumbrance mechanics, right?
    ThacoBell
    edited September 2018
    the people saying that this is Pathfinder as run by a hostile DM are right on the money, but at least Owlcat seems to be open to criticism now. there's a lot I like here, there's a tremendous core to this game, but there's a looot that needs work. even with all the weird gameplay design decisions, like having a heavy armor frontlines tanky character have 14 Strength so she's always almost at Heavy encumbrance, it's still right off the bat leagues better realized as a D&D type game than Sword Coast Legends was tho (RIP)

14 Strength, that as to rival our beloved Garrick from Baldur's Gate o:)
    oh ya a HUGE caveat, all, I played and ran 3rd/3.5/PF from 2001 to 2016 so I kind of know what's going on without second thought but there's lots of peculiarities that the game doesn't even explain to somebody with my level of system familiarity. like I was trying to figure out the armorless cleric earlier. it's rather impenetrable and does a bad job at explaining things if at all
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    scriver said:

Thanks, scriver i honestly will wait until bugs got fixed and people made good walktroughts....

Here it is, it's the spot down by along the river (the other one is the spider cave). Also, on a second playthrough, it turns out it is the nymph who tells the way ahead in the most clear way. Oleg is very vague in what he says but he mentions looking along the river too.

edit: Also Jhod Kavanekeanenan turns out to be an NPC in this area, not the area itself, I misremembered.
    I found no nymp and already explored all map, this was the first location that i visited tbh... I will wait until they fix the bugs and have GOOD walktroughts to play this game.
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    The Nymph appears to you the first time you sleep at Oleg's
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    @DrHappyAngry, @Dorcus, the latest patch does a lot to even out the difficulty spikes and adjust the various difficulty settings. It also ties random encounter difficulty to your average party level. It's their second major patch in the three days since release. Seems like they listen, and they fix, and they put in a lot of effort on timely patching.

I for one am extremely happy with this game. It is the game I should have got from Beamdog but didn't. And since I am quite certain I am not going to be getting a D&D CRPG any time soon, this is the game I will be completely relying on to scratch my major D&D itch.
    sarevok57Skatan
    edited September 2018
    scriver said:

The Nymph appears to you the first time you sleep at Oleg's

Still can't understood, what i need to do? I already visited all of this locations, seriously. I hate when a cRPG demands that you can foretell what to do. Is very annoying... I wanna play this game but without an GOOD walktrought will be impossible.

I have 12 hours on this game, tried to TALK TO EVERYONE, visit every location, spended 5 hours only to foretell where my rival was on on old sycamore caves and can't find this temple of Elrik. I found Baldur's Gate very hard to foretell what i need to do, but Pathfinder Kingmaker is much more harder.

Icewind dale in other hands, i managed to complete the same solo easily without walktrought and only had a problem with a lich part(din't understood what to do), NWN, i was forced to use walktroughts on some boring puzzles on ACT III and on HotU expansion(but passed act 1/2 without any problem). And honestly walktroughts are boring i wanna explore myself and have my own impressions but some times is impossible to do without it;
    kanisatha said:

@DrHappyAngry, @Dorcus, the latest patch does a lot to even out the difficulty spikes and adjust the various difficulty settings. It also ties random encounter difficulty to your average party level. It's their second major patch in the three days since release. Seems like they listen, and they fix, and they put in a lot of effort on timely patching.

I for one am extremely happy with this game. It is the game I should have got from Beamdog but didn't. And since I am quite certain I am not going to be getting a D&D CRPG any time soon, this is the game I will be completely relying on to scratch my major D&D itch.

Cool, looking forward to firing it up tonight.

I'm actually pretty happy with it, but the Linux version's still really buggy, so I've been playing it in my windows boot. Still no music and sounds missing with the latest patch.
    kanisatha
    Tried it after the newest patch, and still brutal on normal, not that I'm complaining, just saying difficulty is high even on normal. I'm cool with that, like the Divinity: OS games, I just accept I'm not high enough level and will have to come back this way later.

@SorcererV1ct0r

Try looking in the woods to the northwest of that screenshot you posted.

The game does not hold your hand at all, you really have to take the initiative and explore the area yourself. Personally I'm digging the free roaming figure things out for yourself vibe from the game. But from the games you liked, it's clear we like different sorts of CRPGs. For instance I've never finished Icewind Dale, not for difficulty or not being able to figure out what to do, but I just lose interest. To me, IWD is just an endless linear set of dungeon crawls with no choice involved.

Again, i already looked to Torn Ford many times, i already searched 5 different walktroughts and no information. And no, my problem is not "hand holding", i an very used to cRPG, my problem is that i don't know what to do and visit the same location 541324153134123168543 times is everything that everyone and every walktrought is saying. I don't know if is a bug or anything else but at moment i will stay with OLD RPG's that are more stable. Not mention crashes, seriously. People complain about Bugs on VtMB, Arcanum, etc but this games at least don't crash like Pathfinder kingmaker... And aparently there are a lot of bugs, at least according to steam discussions ( https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/search/?q=bug+quest&gidforum=1728701877481387098&include_deleted=1 )

And an guy have an similar problem
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/640820/discussions/0/1734340257883729438/
    " Finding the bandits camp bugged?
    I did the whole "Rival" qeustline with the mites etc., found the old undead geezer in the river, explored the whole map, but nothing... and only 25 days left, any tips or is my game bugged? I know I should "find" the Temple of the Elk, but it doesn't reveal it nor does it give me a new quest to do so. "

About the lack of choices on IWD, i agree that is a problem but the game still good. My problem is when the game say "explore the area and find", "you only have 90 days" and after exploring almost everything i still don't know what to do,my party is almost lv 5 and honestly, i uninstalled the game.

Will wait until some GOOD walktrought appears and most bugs is fixed.

----------------------------------

Honestly i aways wanted an game with pathfinder rules and that allows you to manage your own kingdom but the game is unplayable at moment.

Again, i already looked to Torn Ford many times
    Look a lot further into the woods than the ford. Next time I'm booted into windows I can grab a screenshot if you haven't figured it out by then.
    @kanisatha hey, cool. I read the patch notes a little while ago. thanks for the heads up
    kanisatha