Skip to content

Suggestions Thread: Game Mechanics (scripts, spells, feats, combat)

Comments

• Prince_RaymondPrince_Raymond Member Posts: 437
    edited September 2018
    @Luke93 It depends on whether the special ability used by the creature is Extraordinary, Spell-Like or Supernatural. In the case of the aforementioned "Mummy Rot" ability, yes, it is magical in nature and will go away in an antimagic field. Although, it is not subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or being dispelled by dispel magic due to the fact it is a supernatural ability. Hope this answers your question. If you need more information, you can find it at www.d20srd.org. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
    Post edited by Prince_Raymond on
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    @JuliusBorisov
    Return the model index number (it appearance number)
    Can we get new function int GetItemModelIndex(object oItem)

It be useful for item manipulation and general checks of that model instead of having to do specific lookup of tag, ref.
    Proont
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    ShadowM said:

@JuliusBorisov
    Return the model index number (it appearance number)
    Can we get new function int GetItemModelIndex(object oItem)

It be useful for item manipulation and general checks of that model instead of having to do specific lookup of tag, ref.

@ShadowM Can you provide a bit more context for this? Also - what section of the board, in your opinion, will suit this request?
    This example is for simple models (but could apply to parts based items) Let say in my example I have resource gathering system with a base item tool(s) that are needed and I want to just check for matching model and only that model will be used for the system and this tool can have many different tags, ref. for ones with different properties(material property, skill bonus etc..) on the base item. Example iit_c2_tool_001, iit_c2_tool_002 etc.. would return the ending number model 1, model 2 etc... I put this in scripting. I use other systems that dynamically change items and having a look up function would help. I do this to save on the number of items in the module base and in item palette. This would be related to other function CopyItemAndModify and is on trello so we do not have to destroy items when we make model changes to the base. So another good function would be ModifyItem that would allow us to change appearance of item and it tag without destroying the original. I hope that clear thing up a little more.
    GM_ODA
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @ShadowM Will https://trello.com/c/4HZH9oPw/185-improve-item-scripting cover it if I add the links to your comments there?
    Prince_Raymond
    @JuliusBorisov Yes, and thank you for all the work you do for everyone.
    Prince_RaymondJuliusBorisovricoyungDrakon
    Apologies if this suggestion has already been mentioned before. Would it be possible to implement the rules for grappling in combat in the future? Could this be added to a card that covers it if one exists? Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
  • tfoxtfox Member Posts: 87
    Would kill to have a heighten spell meta-magic feat added, to let you set any spell as any tier higher increasing the spell's level and DC at the cost of a higher level spell slot. Would give alot of extra freedom to casters to prepare slots even with NWN's limited spell list. (Empower/Maximize will still be king for offensive spells though).
    Proont
  • Dark_AnsemDark_Ansem Member Posts: 992
    tfox said:

Would kill to have a heighten spell meta-magic feat added, to let you set any spell as any tier higher increasing the spell's level and DC at the cost of a higher level spell slot. Would give alot of extra freedom to casters to prepare slots even with NWN's limited spell list. (Empower/Maximize will still be king for offensive spells though).

metamagic feats are supposed to be in the roadmap for unlocking - not sure about spell slots above 10.
    tfox

tfox said:

metamagic feats are supposed to be in the roadmap for unlocking - not sure about spell slots above 10.
    Interesting, I've not seen any mention of expanding meta magic feats on either of the Trello boards, which is why I posted such, in either case would be amazing to have even just heighten (though others would be welcome anything like persistent spell should be modular as they have significant balance implications that a module developer might not wish to deal with).

If spell slots expanded above 9, I'd want such to also be upto the module builders choice to enable or not. (though I've always felt iffy that martial characters expand into epics, but spell-casters don't get more slots to play with when in PnP they'd have access to a epic spell slot system rather then single use per day feats and level 10 and above spell slots for use solely with metamagic).
    tfox said:

tfox said:

Interesting, I've not seen any mention of expanding meta magic feats on either of the Trello boards, which is why I posted such, in either case would be amazing to have even just heighten (though others would be welcome anything like persistent spell should be modular as they have significant balance implications that a module developer might not wish to deal with).

If spell slots expanded above 9, I'd want such to also be upto the module builders choice to enable or not. (though I've always felt iffy that martial characters expand into epics, but spell-casters don't get more slots to play with when in PnP they'd have access to a epic spell slot system rather then single use per day feats and level 10 and above spell slots for use solely with metamagic).
    @JuliusBorisov could you elaborate?
  • Shia_LuckShia_Luck Member Posts: 39
    I don't see it in the roadmap but it must have been mentioned. Unlocking the hardcoded aspects so we can easily customise our own worlds. (disallowing devastating crit, adding custom weapon feats, making disarm a bit more usable, fixing parry are a few things that come to mind.)

Have fun :)
    RifleLeroy
    Shia_Luck said:

I don't see it in the roadmap but it must have been mentioned. Unlocking the hardcoded aspects so we can easily customise our own worlds. (disallowing devastating crit, adding custom weapon feats, making disarm a bit more usable, fixing parry are a few things that come to mind.)

Disallow devastating critical! How dare!
    Proont
    We need script functions concerning spell usage and expenditure, something along the lines:

Restore last used spell
    Restore last used spell slot
    Restore all X spell level
    Restore all X slots for X spell levels

So in short, functions that allow us to restore spells or prevent spells/ spell slots from being used because, at the moment, there is nothing available beyond "forcerest".
    Proont
  • Rooshi49Rooshi49 Member Posts: 1
    Would it be possible to have a better inventory management system? The current six pages of a sixty square blocks just doesn't feel good. . . I've searched through all the posts here, and I'm not sure if this is the right place to put it, but I feel as if inventory management warrants a discussion or at least a mention.

If anything I think it would be awesome to have some sort of way to put away your weapons mechanically and graphically (either on your waist or on your back) with a button so that you don't need to put them away in your inventory.

One of the biggest gripes I have is that if your inventory is full and you try to unequip something that you have equipped it will drop on the ground and if you don't play with sounds, there's almost no way of telling that it happened. It doesn't feel right that your character would just drop whatever they were wearing on the ground because their packs were full.

If anything could be done, I think it would also be nice to be able to swap items in your inventory instead of how it works right now. By clicking and dragging one item over another of an equal size, it would swap (unless its a bag)
    Prince_Raymond
    edited November 2018
    Bradge said:

If I'm not mistaken, I understand that the ruleset will not be moving from D&D 3.0 to 3.5, but -- if so --
    could more 3.0 classes and subraces be added? At the least, unlock the Eye of Gruumsh and Shou Disciple prestige classes that already exist in some form in the game's code.

I definitely would welcome the game being setup so the community could more easily and effectively add subraces and new classes/feats if desired.

Edited for correction. I just checked the Trello Input Board, and I saw there has already been a card created to allow custom classes and spellbooks to the base game. It has a right-foot-to-the-right-side-of-the-face-whopping 319 votes! :o Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
    edited November 2018
    Rooshi49 said:

Would it be possible to have a better inventory management system? The current six pages of a sixty square blocks just doesn't feel good. . . I've searched through all the posts here, and I'm not sure if this is the right place to put it, but I feel as if inventory management warrants a discussion or at least a mention.

If anything I think it would be awesome to have some sort of way to put away your weapons mechanically and graphically (either on your waist or on your back) with a button so that you don't need to put them away in your inventory.

One of the biggest gripes I have is that if your inventory is full and you try to unequip something that you have equipped it will drop on the ground and if you don't play with sounds, there's almost no way of telling that it happened. It doesn't feel right that your character would just drop whatever they were wearing on the ground because their packs were full.

If anything could be done, I think it would also be nice to be able to swap items in your inventory instead of how it works right now. By clicking and dragging one item over another of an equal size, it would swap (unless its a bag)

If my memory serves me correctly, I recall voting on a similar feature request on the Trello Input board. I think it had something to do with making the dimensions within containers equal to the inventory tabs. I also think it would be cool to graphically see your character's weapon or weapon and shield sheathed/strapped to their person. Thank you for reading, and happy gaming to all.
  • ayylmaoxcomayylmaoxcom Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2018
    I'd love to see the number of classes you are allowed to have be something up to the module/PW rather than hardcoded. I don't particularly see a reason it needed to be limited in the first place. People afraid of how it will affect game balance should move to an edition of D&D that isn't broken out of the box, and people concerned with balance because they run a community would still have the option in public worlds.
    >

That takes away too much from the rogue class. With a ranger disabling traps and a wizard spamming knock you would never need a rogue again.

Welcome to 3.x
    Proont
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387

I'd love to see the number of classes you are allowed to have be something up to the module/PW rather than hardcoded. I don't particularly see a reason it needed to be limited in the first place. People afraid of how it will affect game balance should move to an edition of D&D that isn't broken out of the box, and people concerned with balance because they run a community would still have the option in public worlds.

I understand that this is a wishlist thread and not really bound by laws of reality, but I need to point out that this is very difficult to do technically. For one, the UI is designed for up to 3 classes, and extending that is an enormous amount of work - If all people working on NWN moved to work on this feature, it would easily take many months.
  • DFDarkDFDark Member Posts: 32

I understand that this is a wishlist thread and not really bound by laws of reality, but I need to point out that this is very difficult to do technically. For one, the UI is designed for up to 3 classes, and extending that is an enormous amount of work - If all people working on NWN moved to work on this feature, it would easily take many months.
    But then again, UI is already on wishlist to be completely opened and on some prev. streams Trent mentioned that They will be looking at opening it up. (albeit it may take some time) So going with that logic, why not? Simply open class limit with UI and let everyone style their UI as they wish. (with regular default)
  • GrogbayneGrogbayne Member Posts: 8
    Request:

Any way to make Darkvision actually do something visual on the screen? In NWN2, it has a useful and visually helpful effect. In NWN1, the screen stays just as dark without a torch out as if I were playing a Human. It's irritating to me to be playing a Half Orc and still need a torch out to "see" what's going on on-screen in the dark hallway.

ProontPrince_Raymond
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Honestly, i don't wanna changes on UI. On IWD/BG i need to click on "cast spell", then only with icons and no text search the spell that i wanna cast in a very big list, can't put spells on shortcuts and some times spend many time just searching the spell to cast.

On NWN i can easily have all of my main offensive spells on my bar, all of my utility like knock on my SHIFT + F1-F12 an all of my defensive/summon on CTRL + F1-F12, this means that i have quick access to up to 36 spells
    ricoyung

Honestly, i don't wanna changes on UI. On IWD/BG i need to click on "cast spell", then only with icons and no text search the spell that i wanna cast in a very big list, can't put spells on shortcuts and some times spend many time just searching the spell to cast.

On NWN i can easily have all of my main offensive spells on my bar, all of my utility like knock on my SHIFT + F1-F12 an all of my defensive/summon on CTRL + F1-F12, this means that i have quick access to up to 36 spells

And when you want access to potions/scrolls/wands/healing kits or even just custom text macros and stealth/detect mode those quickslots get used up exceptionally quickly. Greater freedom to allow the players to decide how much they want is a good thing.
    ProontSorcererV1ct0r
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    I believe there are actual differences with darkvision, lowlight, and ultravision visual effects. But they're very minor and you would also want to set the range individually for 60ft and 120ft, otherwise it's possible to alter the values of the current personal lights I believe.
    Prince_Raymond
  • Shia_LuckShia_Luck Member Posts: 39

Shia_Luck said:

Disallow devastating critical! How dare!
    Hee Hee... but come on, it turns a (balanced-ish in NWN terms) fighter into a one shot kill machine when most other classes don't gain that much from epic levels. Doesn't even matter how high your fortitude save might be, at some point you will rolll a 1. Dev crit should just be more damage than overwhelming crit else it breaks the whole hitpoint system.

EpicValor
  • FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    To be fair with a proper massive damage check you would already be fishing for 1s before you get the epic feat, the main advantage being the better DC. You can still disable devastating critical and other feats yourself for servers or simply not use it for single player.
    Shia_Luck said:

Hee Hee... but come on, it turns a (balanced-ish in NWN terms) fighter into a one shot kill machine when most other classes don't gain that much from epic levels. Doesn't even matter how high your fortitude save might be, at some point you will rolll a 1. Dev crit should just be more damage than overwhelming crit else it breaks the whole hitpoint system.

An epic level monk named Kenshiro, who has the Devastating Critical feat, crit-hits an ogre mage with his fist. The ogre mage rolls a 1 on his Fortitude save.
    Kenshiro: "Omae wa mou shindeiru."
    Ogre Mage: "Nani?!?"
    The ogre mage's head explodes.

ProontDerpCityWarChiefZekeRifleLeroy
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    The spell durations were always confusing. And for new players not familiar with old D&D mechanics they are misleading.

We have rounds, turns and hours. And none of those translate into real time as in the actual duration. An hour was maybe 2 minutes real time? And rounds and turns you just have to learn.

Could we change round into 6 seconds, turn into 1 minute and hour into 2 minutes? Since NWN plays in real time and not rounds and turns.
  • DerpCityDerpCity Member, Moderator Posts: 303
    @1varangian I'm pretty sure a round and turn have always been 1 to 1 with 6 seconds and a minute, respectively, and therefor an hour is 2 minutes because its 2 turns. They've always lined up for me.
  • 1varangian1varangian Member Posts: 367
    DerpCity said:

@1varangian I'm pretty sure a round and turn have always been 1 to 1 with 6 seconds and a minute, respectively, and therefor an hour is 2 minutes because its 2 turns. They've always lined up for me.

I think you misunderstood. My question was why does 6 seconds have be called a "round" in a real time computer game. Why isn't 6 seconds simply 6 seconds. Rounds and turns are good at structuring tabletop combat but in a real time CRPG they are just unnecessarily complicated.

An hour can't be two turns because a turn in tabletop is a minute. An hour in a real time game is just vastly different from an hour in tabletop game time so they shortened it down in NWN so durations in hours wouldn't effectively mean "permanent".

But simply.. when an hour actually means "two minutes" it's just needlessly confusing. The duration should say 2 minutes / level instead of misleading the player.