Skip to content

What is your class?

YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
I recently had an interesting discussion about the essence of classes, and what they are in real life. An idea awakened that a class is a skill set rather than a profession. Based on this I reasoned that characters in the game actually have more classes than what shows, the others just aren't relevant to adventuring, and so, they are not displayed.

The difference between a skill set and a profession is that a profession only tells what you are currently doing, whereas a skill set is the sum of all your former professions, hobbies and education. These can, in theory, give you several classes, that D&D employs as a single class that's based on your skill set.

Now, this isn't about your FR or D&D class, hence the location. You may however, if you want to, tell the readers how your skill set would qualify you to a class. The main point is to display what your skill set is. I'll open the discussion by telling what my skill set is.

Lvl 5 Football Player
Lvl 7 Machinist
Lvl 2 Truck Driver
Lvl 6 Car Driver
Lvl 11 Badminton Player
Lvl 3 Engineer (Industrial)
Lvl 3 Martial Artist (Karate)
Lvl 10 Student
Lvl 8 Cleaner
Lvl 3 Writer
Lvl 6 Cook
Lvl 3 Soldier
Lvl 3 Commissioned Officer (Prestige Class :smiley:)
Lvl 4 Personal Trainer

Some basic rules I used coming up with these is that for each 6 months I did something, I gain a level. Except for the Student levels, which I gave 1 for each year I performed clearly above average. If I got close to the average on a given year, or below it, I gave myself nothing. I've actually been to different schools a total of 17 years.
If I had done any of my hobbies professionally, I would have made up a prestige class for it. As in the case of badminton, an Olympic Badminton Player would have been the prestige class.

For the military classes, I gave myself 1 level per phase of training completed. I never actually got any field experience. The driving stuff is for each year I've had a license and used it to some degree.
I discounted some stuff such as going to the the gym, reading or jogging, based on the fact that I think they don't actually give you skills, they give you stats.

The Writer is ongoing, as is the Engineer. I'm still progressing on those classes. To a minor extent, badminton belongs among these as well.

Now tell me what's your class/skill set? :wink:
[Deleted User]TeflonBelgarathMTHSmilingSwordJuliusBorisovThacoBellOrlonKronsteenBlackravenProontRAM021

Comments

• YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    @BelgarathMTH These are all a bit subjective, and I don't think the rules I used can be applied to everybody. They are there just as an example of how I counted my own levels, and as a basis for everybody else to count their own. The topic isn't totally serious, but I just thought to establish a baseline.

Capping your level to some number seems like a good idea if you feel like your progress halted at some point. I'd say you could count your student and scholar levels separately, and make those scholar levels a prestige class. Your degrees certainly qualify you for it. But a prestige class levels up slower in my books, so you could give yourself a level per degree perhaps?
    BelgarathMTHProont
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653

lvl 8 artist "traditional media"
    lvl 4 3D artist
    lvl 4 Kung Fu practitioner
    lvl 16 gamer
    lvl 5 wastrel "Oh how I miss those days."
    lvl 4 layabout "and these days even more."
    lvl 2 graphic designer
    lvl 2 stores clerk
    lvl 8 student
    lvl 10 reveler
    lvl 1 programmer

@SmilingSword , ha, I was wondering if I should give myself levels of "gamer". I think I've spent more time over my lifetime doing that than just about anything else. Wouldn't pretty much everybody on the forums be considered a pretty high-level "gamer" based on hours spent playing over their lifetimes?

Oh, yes, and "lvl 10 reveler". Good catch. I think I definitely took some levels of that during my twenties.
    SmilingSword
  • YannirYannir Member Posts: 595
    @cmk24 What on earth is a Python Programmer? This got something to do with Monty Python? :smiley:
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Casting Raise Thread because I'd be interested in reading more people give their class and profession levels in real life. I'm not sure why this didn't get more responses last time.
    ThacoBellOrlonKronsteenAerakar
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Well, let's try going by 6 months per level

Lvl 34 student
    Lvl 10 footballer
    Lvl 8 biomedical engineer
    Lvl 8 Martial artist
    Lvl 2 IT professional
    Lvl 1 project manager

and probably other stuff that's not coming to mind right now
    ThacoBellOrlonKronsteenAerakarProont
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    edited November 2018
    Okay going by 1 year for above average school and 6 month rule for everything else:
    Lvl 14 student (if I've calculated that right)
    Lvl 24 Martial Artist ( Shinki Ryu Jujitsu, Shito Ryu Karate, Hiden Mugei Ryu Iaido, Daito Ryu Aiki Jujitsu)
    I reserve the right to misspell all of these.
    Lvl 24 Driver
    Lvl 4 Disability Care
    Lvl 4 Parent
    Lvl 54 Gamer
    Lvl 28 Cleric (calculated based on time spent as a Christian through personal choice and active thought, rather than upbringing)

Huh, I've done a few things for a very long time without much variation.

*EDIT*

I made a significant error when calculating my monk levels. For some unknown reason, I used my age at time fo retirement, rather than the time I had spent in training. Whoops, has been fixed.
    Post edited by ThacoBell on
    FinneousPJOrlonKronsteenAerakarProont
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Before I try to calculate my own character profile, I just want to say that the multiclassing is out of control in this thread. ;)

Also, judging by some of these levels, some of you obviously have HLAs and I'd like to hear what these are.
    ZaghoulThacoBellAerakarProont
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Mostly I'm a writer, but I've also taken levels in historian, political scientist, no-reloader, and moderator as the years have gone by. Most human characters in the modern world are multi-classes, usually a variation of the computermancer build.
    ThacoBellAerakarOrlonKronsteenProont
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    I'm amazed at how many geniuses we can find in these forums xD

By D&D terms , I'd probably be an 8th level Teacher (no doctorates but experienced enough to save the region xD) and perhaps 5th level artist (not a reference to the youngsters I can cast my fireballs and scare off opposers) .
    ThacoBellOrlonKronsteenProont
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    If I wanted to Add "Gamer" in there, for Pen and Paper, I have been playing since I was in 5th grade (Moldvay boxed set). so... 39 years? DM'ed for almost as long, say 37 years. Computer games since 1991, when I got my own computer... 28 years? I am a mess of multi classing.
    ThacoBellProont
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    I'm just treating years like level

Natural born passive: Antisocial, loner

Lvl 1- mamas boy
    Lvl 10- musician (trombone)
    Lvl 11- musician (snare drums)
    Lvl 13- artist
    Lvl 15- JR AIRFORCE ROTC
    Lvl 18- recruitment officer JR AIRFORCE ROTC
    LVL 19 and beyond- failure.
    OrlonKronsteenThacoBellProontRAM021
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited November 2018
    Right now I'm a level 20 Cat Lord (I was going to say Cat Whisperer and then thought, hey, D&D has a Cat Lord so I'll go with that). I feel bad my roommate's cat likes me better than him and follows me around everywhere I go.
    Post edited by themazingness on
    ThacoBellOrlonKronsteenProontRAM021
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    He's keeping an eye on you. ;)
    themazingness
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903

LVL 19 and beyond- failure.

Been there.
    ThacoBellProontRAM021
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    Level 30 addict - fortunately I dual classed away from that one many years ago.
    Level 48 writer
    Level 20 educational facilitator/trainer/instructional designer
    Level 4 lecturer
    ThacoBellBalrog99Proont
  • DorcusDorcus Member Posts: 270
    I chose Goof Off for all my levels as a joke and put all my stat pool points into Luck instead of anything Physical, Mental, or Spiritual so now I'm automatically multiclassed into Day Drinker and Fake Nihilist B)
    ThacoBellProont
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    hmm lets see, based on if levels were every 6 months?

truck driver: level 19

delivery driver: level 8

professional schmuck: level 63

vidgeo gaime player: level 46 ish

weight lifter: level 20 ish

personal investor: level 3

"successful?" individual: level 17

BG player: level 37 ish

boilermaker: level 4 in actual real life ( says so on my card thingy HAW, although level 8 by THESE standards )

professional insulator: level 8

PC hardware buyer: level 22

hating said PC hardware: level 22

house owner: level 12

keeping a balance of over 1 dollar in the bank for a month: level 10 ish

keeping a balance of less than 0 dollars in the bank for a month: level 13+

being a child: level 36

being a child in an adult's body who doesn't not what they are doing with life: level 7

being a child in an adult's body who actually knows what they are doing with their life and is doing pretty darn good: level 15 ish

time spent in these forums enjoying every minute of it: level 12.....?

semi retirement/retirement: level 12

the hopes and dreams of winning the lottery to make life easy: level 10

actually winning the lottery and making life easy : level 0

BelgarathMTHThacoBellProontSkatan