Skip to content

NWN:EE Android Beta - Grab it, Play it, Love it, Tell us about it

Comments

• capricorn1971adcapricorn1971ad Member Posts: 9
    umm, actually they were full of constructive, and yes, i bought the android beta, but as terribly as it ran i had to return it.

there is nothing I have said to you that is not constructive.

and the training for the rogue is different on my machine, i have both versions at GOG, you can look up my account there (capricorn1971ad is the account name there as well) if you think I am telling you an untruth.

i did it just a week ago, saw it with my own eyes.

have you considered installing the original and your "enhanced edition" and comparing them? i did.

if you have things going on in the PC version that your unaware of, how much of that was converted and made into the android version? all of it..

i couldn't make it that far in the android version, i couldn't move well enough to make it there. (on the ANDROID VERSION). The controls really are that bad, and i gave you a solution too it, and you say i am "unconstructive", and told you about the pitfalls that happen commonplace with those same solutions to boot.

as far as the Beta goes, my receipt was (google pay) GPA.3315-8763-8885-50566, would you like a picture of it? you act as though i haven't purchased nor tried it and i have, returned it as well as i really don't believe it will ever work right on a tablet. I worked in IT in the past myself (in TCP/IP).
  • MikeWardDrawsMikeWardDraws Member Posts: 13
    edited November 2018
    Hi @capricorn1971ad ,
    It's none of my business but I believe Julius means your criticisms aren't constructive in relation to the android beta. This particular thread is specific to reporting bugs, etc, on the android platform. I believe there is another area on the forum related to the PC and Enhanced Versions of the game where your bug would be better reported.
    StummvonBordwehrwouldntsavezion
    edited November 2018
    I'll mention this here as I'm not completely convinced that it's a "bug" per se but the NWN applet had been draining my battery a couple of times even though I closed it.

Pressing the "fix it" button there removes it from the list. I've opened and closed the app a few times and I can't get it to repeat yet so it may have been a quirk on my phone. If I figure out how to replicate it I'll send a proper bug report.

Post edited by MikeWardDraws on
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • ShaidenShaiden Member Posts: 181
    @MikeWardDraws Hi there!

I've actually been following up on a few reports regarding this. It sounds like in some cases the game is not shutting down as it should be.

I suggest that when you close the game, check (via the double windowed button) to see what programs are currently running. If NWN is still running, that's likely what's causing it.

As for draining the battery quickly, as a full 3d-game, it has a tendency to hit your graphics processor much more often, meaning it's more active over time, and thus drawing more power.

I've raised the concern, and while we won't be able to mitigate the majority of the issue, there have been a few ideas thrown around that might take at least some of the edge off, we'll have to see if they are viable though.
    JuliusBorisovMikeWardDrawslolien
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,270
    @Shaiden I find that NWN is always running a window behind the scenes after exit until you hit the square button to show all windows, then close it.
    JuliusBorisov
  • ShaidenShaiden Member Posts: 181
    @Proleric Gotcha, I've followed up on this and we have an internal ticket on it. It sounds like it's an issue regarding an android app having the ability to close itself in this manner, we're following up now.
    ProlericJuliusBorisov
    edited November 2018
    Hi @Shaiden

I should have been more clear that I meant the battery was draining after I had closed the game. That screenshot I posted showing it using 1.55% of the battery per hour was when it wasn't actually running. I closed all the running apps using the double window button before taking the screenshot. While the game is actually running it uses up a lot more power but that's completely understandable.

But in any case it sounds like you're all aware of it so I won't worry about it unless I can replicate the scenario somehow. :D

Edit:
    Quick thought I'm curious if it's related to running it through my Samsung Game Launcher app the phone came with. If no one else is playing it with Game Launcher then ignore me. But I'll poke around with it this weekend just to see.
    JuliusBorisov
  • DeonoldDeonold Member Posts: 4
    edited November 2018
    I wonder how much we can expect from performance and graphics sliders in the game. I tried reducing them to minimum and maximum and it didn't do anything noticeable.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • s30perrys30perry Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2018
    I seem to have lost the function to unsummon my familar playing as a wizard. Once summoned my only ability in the radial menu is to possess familiar. I've tried resting as well as having the familiar killed. Once killed if I summon it again the summon icon is only replaced with possess familiar and no options shown to unsummon. I've also possessed and unpossessed the familiar with no luck.

Edit: The workaround I found is to put the summon familiar ability into the quickbar. Once summoned the quick bar ability changes to unsummon familiar.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • Sideways_8Sideways_8 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2018
    I've finally gotten the chance to play a bit of the game. Running a Galaxy S9+ with the Snapdragon. The UI is workable. Performance has been great with one exception. The poison trap in the Elven Crypt on Shadows of Undrentide. Massive framerate drop when I activated it. Submitted a bug report and tried to upload the video with it, but the file was too large.

Edit: Recorded two videos, one at max resolution for my phone, and one at the lowest. Dropping the resolution helped out.

Max:

Min:
    Post edited by Sideways_8 on
    aarionnJuliusBorisovlolien
  • SCARY_WIZARDSCARY_WIZARD Member Posts: 1,438
    Howdy. Dunno if this has been put elsewhere on this board, but after I installed the game and went through the Google Play thing ( :| ), it just crashes. Have not been able to launch since. Gonna chalk this up to the product still being in its beta stages, but has anyone else been experiencing this?
    I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @SCARY_WIZARD That's too bad. We've got a few reports about it, but are still investigating. Can you please file a ticket via our Service Desk?
    SCARY_WIZARDlolien

@SCARY_WIZARD That's too bad. We've got a few reports about it, but are still investigating. Can you please file a ticket via our Service Desk?

I'll take care of that when I get off work! Thank yar kindly!
    JuliusBorisovlolien
  • JapualtahJapualtah Member Posts: 165
    How do you move your character around guys?
    I heard about that 'virtual joystick' thing but can't for the love of me figure out where or what it is.
    I only can move my character by taping on the ground which is awkward, and I can't change the sight level, I'm always looking at the same angle while on PC I can press the middle button to change the view angle, what gives?

Furthermore, I can't move an object from an inventory tab to the other. Tried for a few minutes then gave up.

I installed the game on a Moto G6+, it works great but before giving feedback on other problems (got a few graphical glitches spotted so far) I'd need to move around freely :)
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    Is there anywhere to check whether a device will run the beta? I have a Galaxy Tab A, and bought and installed it, but at launch it disappears and does nothing, although it stays running until I shut it.
  • capricorn1971adcapricorn1971ad Member Posts: 9

Hi @capricorn1971ad ,
    It's none of my business but I believe Julius means your criticisms aren't constructive in relation to the android beta. This particular thread is specific to reporting bugs, etc, on the android platform. I believe there is another area on the forum related to the PC and Enhanced Versions of the game where your bug would be better reported.

they have made the android version FROM the PC version correct?

your NOT trying to tell me they started from SCRATCH are you?

IF NOT.. the problems in the PC version will COMPOUND in this PORT.

actually everything I have said IS relevant because of such, whether you agree or not.

I have done some coding in my time, don't know about you all..
  • ZackelZackel Member Posts: 20
    Deonold said:

My wall of feedback.

Decided that rather than writing things one by one I will write a more of a review. It's mostly my personal opinion, but I'll do my best to be objective.

First, I'm an assistant in a Russian university in IT-field, know a fair bit about multimedia and game development. Also, I geniunely care about original NWN, since it's the first game I ever loved. I even have a unique custom-made silver pendant with NWN symbol, haha. Anyway, I decided to buy and test your game since there's a clear lack of big and content-rich games on mobile. If port is done well, it will give a lot of deserved justice to this game. I myself didn't try developing mobile games yet, but I've played quite a few popular mobile games to understand how they do things and why.

I'm playing on Huawei P Smart. 5.64" phone which seems to be around usual size for "decent" smartphones where I live. Didn't notice any significant FPS drops or lags. Completed prologue of the original campaign as a strength-based bard with 2-handed sword (lol).

1. Please consider making different interface layouts for tables and phone. The current implementation is still tailored towards PC (not even consoles), and while it might be alright to navigate with stylus on a tablet, phone requires a different treatment.
    2. Buttons are a bit too small and hard to aim with fingers. The worst offenders, in my opinion, are:
    - Action bar. Might be a good idea to reduce the number of buttons to, say, 6-8. Maybe add a simple way to swipe action bars.
    - Radial menu buttons in general are small and hard to hit precisely.
    - Pause button is way too small and near the action bar which is inconvenient. Might be a good idea to put it somewhere in the corner and make it larger/noticeable.
    - Text log expand button and its radial menu. It's probably not necessary at all to be hightlighted on a mobile device. It covers too much screen space and I accidentally click it when I want to rotate (feels terrible). Might be put somewhere in upper corner and be expandable. Things like "hit", "critical hit", "miss", "succesful save" might appear as a floating text. All the settings like "include combat info" or something can probably be put in Settings with check boxes on which stuff to include.
    - Inventory works fine for PC, but for mobile you'd probably need something more console-ish. Way too many small buttons, and smallest buttons (like scrolling in shops) are just tiny. It would be amazing to have two larger windows of inventory (equipped and bag). Pick up all loot button would be nice to have.
    - Expand/contract buttons on the map are very hard to hit and adjust correctly.
    - Skill rank increase/decrease buttons during levelup are too small.
    3. Combat targeting. Selecting ability to cast seems to be clicking on an action bar and then clicking on the target. First, when I clicked on the ability, I don't really see if I selected anything or anything changed. Second, you need to aim towards your opponent, which is a bit complicated. Especially if they are stuck in decorations. Possible solutions: (easier) after clicking on an action bar for something that requires targeting, change interface, maybe pause a game and highlight enemies with a clickable glow to target them fast; (harder) if interface is reworked with larger buttons, dragging and dropping actions on opponents would be amazing.
    4. I think it's a good idea to complain about radial menu in general. Radial menu is as wonderful at PC as it is atrocious on mobile. On PC, selecting a spell while holding and dragging mouse takes fractions of seconds. On mobile, I spent like 30 seconds trying to hit that spell to put it into quick bar. Please consider reworking radial menu for mobile to have larger clickable icons, possibly rearrange it so there are less buttons at the same time. I haven't played to the point of being 9-tier magic caster, but I imagine that trying to sort the spells for wizard would be a nightmare. Especially if I play a cleric with many 1-of spells and I want to buff up before the battle (it is pretty bad in the original game as well).
    5. That button which allows to interact with nearby objects is a great idea, and it would probably be good to allow player to include several of these buttons (for 2nd closest and 3rd closest objects). Might be a good idea to allow long-click on this button to expand the menu on this target.
    6. Zooming camera with two fingers is natural for phones, yet seems a bit slow and unresponsive. I wonder if having an optional zoom icon in the corner which you can hold and slide up/down to increase/decrease height of the camera would help.
    7. Camera rotation. I couldn't notice for a while that moving right part of the screen is for rotation, while left is for movement, should be some indicators on the screen. Also, please consider allowing to rotate camera while moving with two fingers. Working with joystick/rotation took some time getting used to, pathfinding could also use some improvement, but it is better than I initially expected.
    8. Compass is just sitting in the screen taking space for some reason. I personally never used it and probably never going to. If I'd like to check the direction, there is a map.
    9. Please consider right side menu buttons. Most of the time farthest left and farthest right parts of the screen aren't anything useful, just edges of a room and as such can be filled with big and usable interface buttons. Current side bar is about fine to click with fingers, but some things have more priority (in my opinion) than others. High-priority: map, inventory, rest, pause, highlight all. Less priority: character stat sheet, journal, main menu, spellbook (you only need it to setup action bar, and convenient bar setup is likely an important task), player list (why am I even seeing it in single-player, really). Bigger portrait would also be nice, as the art in game is pretty good, albeit dated.
    11. After I click "exit game" button in main menu, application seems to still linger in the phone and has to be closed manually.

That's about all issues I have for now. I support you and hope for the bright future of this game.

Haha you just said all the things that I wanted to say but forgot about, I also stopped at the end of prologue.
    however I think it would be better if you fill in the survey on the main page of NVNEE android port page with the informations you just gave, it would help the dev's better.
    Japualtah said:

How do you move your character around guys?
    I heard about that 'virtual joystick' thing but can't for the love of me figure out where or what it is.

Hi @Japualtah
    If you press your thumb on the left side of the screen and slide it around it should move your character. Doing the same actions on the right side of the screen controls the camera. I found the whole thing works smoothest with the "Chase Camera" option activated instead of the default camera.

I really wrestled with it at first and even made a thread with an alternate suggestion. But then finally it clicked for me and I'm well into Chapter 1 and really enjoying the movement. Chase Camera. ;)

Japualtahlolien
  • JapualtahJapualtah Member Posts: 165
    Thx mate, got it, it's the same as keeping the left mouse button down on PC, it's damn hard to have any kind of smooth movement.
    I don't like it at all, will give it another shot but atm it's an exercice in frustration.

they have made the android version FROM the PC version correct?
    your NOT trying to tell me they started from SCRATCH are you?
    IF NOT.. the problems in the PC version will COMPOUND in this PORT.
    actually everything I have said IS relevant because of such, whether you agree or not.
    I have done some coding in my time, don't know about you all..

Hi @capricorn1971ad

I know that you know I didn't suggest they started the game from scratch. I was just trying to explain that some of the errors or bugs you reported are subjective and not objective. Buying and playing a beta game is about quality assurance and having a chance to impact the final build. It's not meant to be reviewed like a full release.

Your earliest post made real suggestions or comments on the camera/movement.

"the joystick idea isn't working well at all, would be better if it were more like the others in the click to move but then you could change cameras using two fingers to rotate it, and with a submenu on click and hold for skills. something like that would work better"

But long before any developer would have had a chance to experiment with a suggestion like that (after fixing game-breaking bugs first) you posted more about the number of times you purchased these games;

"I have bought Neverwinter Nights 3 times now.

Baldurs gate 3 times
    baldurs gate 2 3 times
    icewind dale 3 times
    planescape torment 3 times

rediculous.."

And then:

"you know, the PC version actually didn't run well, if that didn't run well you KNOW the tablet version isn't going to"

and

"with the PC EE being as buggy as it is, the android version is going to be worse."

I think you originally purchased the beta to try to help test the game but your earliest frustrations with the controls/camera soured the experience for you. I understand. You can't test parts of the game if you can't even walk there, after all.

But you seem to know what you want in the game and you have strong suggestions for how it should be done. Right now is a golden opportunity for you to actually impact the final version of the game. If a game is "buggy as hell" it's because there aren't enough people reporting bugs.

If you wait until the full release of the game to voice suggestions you'll just be another person in a crowd of people trying to sounds intelligent by complaining the loudest (angry youtube reviewers, etc). I wouldn't miss this opportunity to be heard directly by the developing team. Especially since this is a game/series that you clearly love or you wouldn't have purchased it so many times.
    voidofopinion
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,270
    Please keep the compass. It really helps with orientation (much more obvious and quicker than looking at the map). Custom modules often give directions like "head south after you cross the river".

UPDATE: I provided the help desk representative with more information. Once things are resolved, would you like me to share the steps, et cetera, to help out with the troubleshooting until it gets fixed?
    JFKlolien
  • JFKJFK Member Posts: 214
    @SCARY_WIZARD I'm having the same issue. I'd appreciate anything you find.

-JFK
    SCARY_WIZARD
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714

UPDATE: I provided the help desk representative with more information. Once things are resolved, would you like me to share the steps, et cetera, to help out with the troubleshooting until it gets fixed?
    Yes, please.
    lolienSCARY_WIZARD
  • DeonoldDeonold Member Posts: 4
    Proleric said:

Please keep the compass. It really helps with orientation (much more obvious and quicker than looking at the map). Custom modules often give directions like "head south after you cross the river".

On mobile in particular, screen space is scarce and should be filled with the most necessary things. Map can be hidden and expanded, compass isn't. The number of times you need compass can be counted on fingers in a playthrough.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Peter_JohnsonPeter_Johnson Member Posts: 36
    Deonold said:

The number of times you need compass can be counted on fingers in a playthrough.

NO ! At least for me it is rather difficult to orient in which direction I run, so knowing whether it is e.g. north or east is vital.

Proleric
  • MiraniaMirania Member Posts: 7

I've finally gotten the chance to play a bit of the game. Running a Galaxy S9+ with the Snapdragon. The UI is workable. Performance has been great with one exception. The poison trap in the Elven Crypt on Shadows of Undrentide. Massive framerate drop when I activated it. Submitted a bug report and tried to upload the video with it, but the file was too large.

Edit: Recorded two videos, one at max resolution for my phone, and one at the lowest. Dropping the resolution helped out.

Max:

Min:

How do you change the resolution? Mine is stuck at 2200x1080 with now way to change it.