Skip to content

[HOW TO] Install mods on iOS devices (NO Jailbreak)

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @Tundraman your post here was caught by the forum's spam filter. I have restored it and verified you so that this should not happen again.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited September 2018
    @Tundraman

You should do nothing with chitin.key (I put it in the guide so that people know they are in the right place)

Since this is not a WeiDU mod, then just put the files you downloaded into /override and zip it. Since you're on macOS, you can use Archive Utility to zip (no compression) your /override folder. Open Archive Utility ---> Preferences: make sure the Archive format is Regular Archive. After that, select your /override, right-click and then click on "compress override".

Now rename override.zip to override.bg1data ("bg1data" needs to be the actual file extension. If necessary, use CMD-i on the .zip file and change the name that way.)

At this point email override.bg1data to your iOS device and open it with BG:EE. Once you're done, restart the game for changes to take effect. That's it, it should work.....

Since your mod doesn't make changes to dialog.tlk, then you don't need to repeat this procedure for the /lang folder.
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 107
    First: this tutorial is great! Thank you for providing it.

Second, and sorry if this has already been addressed / maybe it's more of a general mod question than explicitly iOS mods: what about moving a modded save from a PC/Mac to a modded iOS installation? How likely am I to see any bugs?

I'm planning on having a playthrough with Dorn as a companion; however, I have not bought the extra companions on iOS. I remember from waaaay back that Beamdog said they would let you move saves between PC and iOS and keep the new companions even if you didn't buy them on iOS. However, I think you have to have already accessed the companion in your save file for them to be available.

My plan is to do the first part of my playthrough until I add Dorn as a companion, and then move the save file to my iPad after that.

What, if any, steps do I need to do to minimize bugs if I try to move a save file from PC to iOS? The only mod I use is Tweaks Anthology. Should both games have the same mod status or am I out of luck?

Thank you!
  • TundramanTundraman Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2018
    Luke93, I really appreciate your assistance with this guide!

Unfortunately, after putting the 4 files into override, opening archive utility and setting the preference to regular archive, and then zipping it that way (including renaming to override.bg1data) I cannot actually gain experience in my playthrough.

Again, I am able to follow these directions and open the file with BG1, but my current single player playthrough characters at max exp do not gain exp beyond the cap regardless of opening from app, opening from gmail attachment override.bg1data, regardless of the amount of restarts.

I'm not sure what to try here other than perhaps download a separate xp cap remover than m1nevese's - which, truth be told, I have little faith in working since m1nevese's has such positive reception.

Any ideas of where I may have strayed from the path?

Edit:

I've tried sending it multiple ways, redownloading it, rezipping it, etc - I'm unable to get it to actually allow exp gain. Perhaps because the files are meant to be put into an override for the PC version of the game and may not actually be a mod but just altered files it isn't recognizing it. Regardless, I'm just seeking a simple xp cap remover in any way shape or form utilizing this method.
    Post edited by Tundraman on
    @Tundraman

Well, if this is the case, then I suggest you to use WeiDU mods: look for the mod Tweaks Anthology (it contains many tweaks and the XP cap remover is one of them.....)

First: this tutorial is great! Thank you for providing it.

Thanks! Yeah, it's great, the only "problem" is that we cannot use the latest version of iTunes......

Anyway, yes: to minimize bugs, both games should have the same mod status.....
    modestvolta
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 107
    Luke93 said:

Thanks! Yeah, it's great, the only "problem" is that we cannot use the latest version of iTunes......

A small update to the tutorial: the version of iTunes I used is 12.6.5 (not 12.6.4).

StummvonBordwehr

Luke93 said:

A small update to the tutorial: the version of iTunes I used is 12.6.5 (not 12.6.4).

Yep, you're right: Apple updated it on September 26 (support for iOS 12?) ----> OP updated, thanks
    modestvolta
  • TundramanTundraman Member Posts: 9
    Ahhh!

I believe I have found the source of the issue.

I'm migrating the (zipped, no compression as override.bg1data) file contained within the OP of this thread:https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/10212/a-simple-xp-cap-remover-now-compatible-with-siege-of-dragonspear/p1

Upon looking at the files in the terminal application, I see "command not found" across all of the classes and "BADVAL" in many of the files initial lines - 89,000 being the only value actually shown within.

Is it possible to edit these raw files manually to reflect the correct values for xp cap removed data?
    edited September 2018
    Tundraman said:

Is it possible to edit these raw files manually to reflect the correct values for xp cap removed data?

Yeah, guess so (not sure how to do it). But as I've already said, consider the idea of installing Tweaks Anthology.......
    StummvonBordwehr
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • KloroxKlorox Member Posts: 894
    Is there a “installing SCS on windows for dummies” link I can see?

I’ll be honest; what’s posted on page 1 is pretty intimidating to me.

Klorox said:

Is there a “installing SCS on windows for dummies” link I can see?

I’ll be honest; what’s posted on page 1 is pretty intimidating to me.

Probably because most of what's on page 1 is all about installing mods on iOS, not on Windows...?
    And there you have it, some small insight into how computer illiterate I truly am.

I have an iPhone I play on. I have a PC laptop at home.

Is there a dumbed down explanation on how I can get SCS on my iPhone?
    @Klorox

What is not clear exactly?
    Luke93 said:

@Klorox

Well, the example on page 1 is for a Mac. Is it the same on a PC?
    Klorox said:

Luke93 said:

@Klorox

Yes, it's pretty much the same. For example, as far as step 1 is concerned, you may wanna download the Windows version of iTunes; and so forth......
    StummvonBordwehr
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    Klorox said:

Luke93 said:

@Klorox

Hi @Klorox
    I have used @Luke93 ‘s method on a PC with Windows and It worked very well - and I am also a complete noob when it comes to computers.

I takes some time gering the hang of it and you have to follow the steps minutely. But the result is awesome.
    edited November 2018

BUT I don't think that's necessary. I'm not totally sure, but I think the .ipa files are kept in your iTunes folder even with iTunes 12.7.

Did you have a try? Because iTunes v12.6.5 isn't compatible with macOS Mojave :( (it's not clear if Apple intends to make it compatible or not....)
    edited November 2018
    I've just updated the OP with instructions on how to enable the Console (courtesy of @Gusinda )
    Post edited by _Luke_ on
    StummvonBordwehrGusinda
  • VseslavVseslav Member Posts: 9
    Thanks a lot for creating the guide on installing mods on iOS. Meanwhile when I tried to follow the procedure, I was not not able to install mods. I’m stack on point 5. When I try to install mods in folder with BGEE app, I got a message that it’s not possible. Can you please advise what could be wrong? Thanks in advance

@Vseslav you want to install mods in the folder that contains "chitin.key."

My folder where I want to install mods looks like in the screenshot:
    When I try to install in this folder I get the following message:
    edited November 2018

Only thing I can think is, did you actually unzip tbe .zip fike, or are you browsing the contents while it's still zipped?

So finally I installed trial mod in app folder on PC. I zipped it and e-mailed to myself. When I open it with "Interact with other applications" there is no BGEE as an option. Do you know what could an issue? Thanks in advance for advice.

P.S. I have iOS 12.1
    Vseslav said:

Only thing I can think is, did you actually unzip the .zip file, or are you browsing the contents while it's still zipped?

So finally I installed trial mod in app folder on PC. I zipped it and e-mailed to myself. When I open it with "Interact with other applications" there is no BGEE as an option. Do you know what could an issue? Thanks in advance for advice.

P.S. I have iOS 12.1
    That's strange..... Don't rename folders once they're zipped, that's the only thing I can think.......
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    If I understand correctly, this doean't work for IWD and PST??
    edited December 2018
    Illustair said:

If I understand correctly, this doean't work for IWD and PST??

Yep :( (feel free to try anyway......)

This issue will be fixed with the next update (maybe......)
    Illustair
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    That's unfortunate. How hard can it be? I doubt it is being woked on at all.