Skip to content

New versions of NearInfinity available

Comments

• NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    @argent77 By any chance would you know of the most recent version of NI that doesn't use Java? Unfortunately my 2004 Dell Vostro seems to be incompatible with the latest version.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    Noloir said:

@argent77 By any chance would you know of the most recent version of NI that doesn't use Java? Unfortunately my 2004 Dell Vostro seems to be incompatible with the latest version.

Near Infinity was always Java-based. Current versions require Java 8 or later to be installed. However, if you can't install more recent Java versions you could try the latest Near Infinity version based on Java 6.

• GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    argent77 said:

@Balquo Thank you. Do you also know if bit 9 of ITM ability flags has any meaning? I've seen it set in a great number of spell scrolls.

It's the "passive-aggressive" bit in .itm headers that matches the behavior of bit9 of 0x18 in the main spell header. You will notice that in both cases (.itm and .spl) the "passive aggressive" bit is the one just before the "hostile" bit.
    argent77
  • GwendolyneGwendolyne Member Posts: 461
    edited December 2018
    A little annoying glitch in BAM Converter.

If it really works, the Splitted BAM output does not work as intended when unchecking Split automatically option.

For a new BGI MONSTER LONG 4 PART animation, I created 6 files (G1, G1E, G2, G2E, G3, G3E) and wanted to split them into four files. I used the following settings: split 2 x horizontally and 2 y vertically. NI creates 8 files! To get 4 files, I must use x=1 and y=1.

More over, the output name suffix does not work: From MBAMG, the settings "2 digits, start at 11, step by 1" creates MBAMG00, MBAMG01, MBAMG02 and MBAMG03, instead of MBAMG11, MBAMG12, MBAMG13 and MBAMG14.

About manual splitting: That's working as intended. You are actually specifying how often the BAM will be split horizontally and vertically. Setting both values to 1x will split the BAM one time in each direction, resulting in 2 x 2 segments.

I can reproduce the second issue though. Filename suffix is currently ignored. Will be fixed.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    Adding a known spell to a .CHR that has no known spells will corrupt the file.

In BGEE, try adding one to 01FIGHT.CHR and you will see.
    Balquo said:

Adding a known spell to a .CHR that has no known spells will corrupt the file.

In BGEE, try adding one to 01FIGHT.CHR and you will see.

Good catch. The extra header of CHR files interferes with offset calculation. I'll try to fix it.
    Gusinda
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    argent77 said:

Noloir said:

Near Infinity was always Java-based. Current versions require Java 8 or later to be installed. However, if you can't install more recent Java versions you could try the latest Near Infinity version based on Java 6.

Thank you so much! This is exactly what I was looking for. The older version that I was using of NI was so old it was missing over half the variables so if I wanted to make an item that had Acid-dmg output I had to find another item with an Acid op-code and copy/paste it over. Helped me memorize alot of weapon/item abilities but it was rather time consumptive and ham-fisted. This version makes this much more simple,
    Gusinda
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    edited January 2019
    Are you sure that parameter1 and parameter2 of opcode #23 (Reset morale) are "Unused"? I'm asking because if I leave them to zero, then the Morale stat of the targeted creature is not restored to 10.......

Moreover, how does opcode #106 (Morale break) work? If I set param1 = 1 and param2 = 1 (i.e., Set), then the Morale break stat is not set to 1.......
  • BubbBubb Member Posts: 998
    @Luke93: It appears Near Infinity is wrong. The fields are described here.
    Luke93 said:

Moreover, how does opcode #106 (Morale break) work? If I set param1 = 1 and param2 = 1 (i.e., Set), then the Morale break stat is not set to 1.......

Hmm, this works on my end. Make sure you're not testing it on a creature that is immune to the effect. I was doing exactly that, and couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. In my case, the creature had a MINHP1, which blocks moral break.
    Thanks. I'll update opcode 23 parameters.
    Bubb
    edited January 2019
    Bubb said:

@Luke93: It appears Near Infinity is wrong. The fields are described here.

It seems it's also necessary to set the special parameter to 1 for the opcode to work correctly (why!?)
    edited January 2019
    @argent77

Could you provide additional details on how to use the BAM converter to create brand new BAM resources (I'd like to make some SPL icons....)?
    edited January 2019
    Luke93 said:

Could you provide additional details on how to use the BAM converter to create brand new BAM resources (I'd like to make some SPL icons....)?

Creating a spell icon BAM from scratch is actually pretty simple. All you need to do is:
    • Open BAM Converter via Tools > Convert > BAM Converter.
    • In the Frames tab click Add > Add file(s)... and select the graphics file(s) you want to add.
    • In the Cycles tab add a new cycle by clicking on "Add cycle", followed either by clicking on "Assign all frames" or by manually adding the desired frame(s) in the bottom part of the tab from "Available frames" to "Current cycle". You can use the up/down arrows next to the "Current cycle" list if you have multiple frames in the cycle and want to change the frame order.
    • Back in the Frames tab you might want to activate "Compress frame" for each frame entry, as well as "Compress BAM" found in the bottom part of the tab.
    • Save the BAM via "Save output file" and you're done.

You might want to inspect some of the existing BAMs to make sure that the cycle structure is correct. Afaik, spell scroll icons may also use a second graphics for the "picked up" state of the scroll.
    _Luke_Gusinda
    edited January 2019
    @argent77

Thanks, but I first need to know how to "draw" something.... I mean, how can I make that graphics file that must be added to the Frames tab? Is there any tutorial out there?
    edited January 2019
    That's more a question for graphics artists, and certainly outside the scope of NI. When I had to come up with a custom spell icon I usually took an existing icon from the game and modified it with Photoshop or a similar graphics editor.
  • GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi @Luke93, just to add the the conversation, I am not much of an artist myself but have grabbed 'parts' of images to create a spell icon... I use GIMP2 (free) to do the cropping/fine tuning/look and feel/etc so that it suited the game, but you need to save the image so that it is 41x41 in size.

The first one I made, I saved the image type as a .PNG (which worked) prior to importing into NI, but I am unsure whether other formats would do the trick. I am guessing that .BMP wouldn't work due to transparent backgrounds but .JPG might? I generally work/edit the image in a larger size (256x256), then reduce to 41x41. Sometimes doing this may distort the image so after making the first grab, I save the image, reduce to 41x41 to see what I could expect then undo the reduction, work the image a little, save, reduce and look again, undo. Rinse and repeat... After a little while, you will get the feel as to what will make good changes and what will make horrid.

Tip - make many saves as you edit the image, particular before major changes! Hard to repeat, easy to delete.
    and another - use multiple layers to ease the burden. I end up with about 3-5 layers. You can keep the original in a layer and hide it, any transparency can be done in another, the surround for the spell (red/blue/whte fill) in one and any shadows (or what ever) in another. When you save it as a .PNG, it will end up a flat file (no layers) so make sure you keep your original work in the original image editor format to have access to the layers in the future.

Hope that helps
    Gus
    _Luke_swit
  • DrAzTiKDrAzTiK Member Posts: 50
    hello,

Something strange happens with Near infinity today : I cannot use the "view area" option anymore on some maps (especialluy outdoor area like AR 1200 or AR0414) .

When I try to open AR 1200, I have the following error message : "not enought memory to load area."

When I tryp to open AE 0414, the program is not responding and I have to press Ctrl+alt+suppr to close nearfinity.

Very strange because everythink was working smoothly before today.
    This error message may come up for larger maps if you have the 32-bit version of the Java Runtime installed. I'd strongly suggest to install the 64-bit version of the JRE (download). It doesn't have these memory limitations.
  • DrAzTiKDrAzTiK Member Posts: 50
    thanks argent77, I have updated java and it is working now ;)
  • kiskikiski Member Posts: 40
    @argent77 Would it be possibe to make an area creation tool? Area viewer is very nice, so something like that but for editing areas would be nice and useful, too.
    Raduziel
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    kiski wrote: »
    @argent77 Would it be possibe to make an area creation tool? Area viewer is very nice, so something like that but for editing areas would be nice and useful, too.

You mean something Aurora Toolset style?

I totally second that.
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    kiski wrote: »

You can use DLTCEP for that. There is a tutorial at this link:

http://www.simpilot.net/~sc/dltcep/areamaking/main.htm
    Raduziel
    @AstroBryGuy I know I can. Done many areas in DLTCEP, for vanilla BG2, so that´s nothing new. But it would be a nice feature, and moreover, I read something about that DLTCEP is buggy. I don´t know if it´s true or not, just read it somewhere.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    DLTCEP isn't buggy, it is just unstable as hell - crashes a lot.
  • GwendolyneGwendolyne Member Posts: 461
    DLTCEP is not reliable for EE games.
    Create your area for classical games, then tune it for EE with NI if necessary. And don't forget to convert v1 tis files to v2
    @Gwendolyne And that´s exactly what I meant. Lastly I tried to convert TIS v1 to TIS v2 via NI, and water overlay got screwed. Overlay borders were not in a shape as they were in vanilla BG2, in which area worked perfectly. Or, to be more precise, they have no shape at all, only those tiles which were completely covered by overlay worked. But those that were only partially covered haven´t worked at all, overlay was simple not present. I posted screenshot in City Area topic...

I have solved the problem finally, but it was like to scratch behind the ear with the opposite hand - not comfort at all. Practically, area was made from scratch again rather than just converted into new format.

Areas without an overlay are converted normally without errors.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    edited February 2019
    More opcode parameters:

#108 (Reputation):
    p2=0 : increment creature reputation (by 1x parameter1)
    p2=1 : set creature reputation (by 1x parameter1)
    p2=2 : set % creature reputation (by 1x parameter1)
    p2=3 : increment party reputation (by 10x parameter1, cannot lower reputation below 100, will raise reputation to 100 is already less)
    p2=4 : reset (=100) party reputation

#13 (Kill):
    p2=1024 : Destruction Death (Same as 'Chunked', except inventory is not dropped)

Post edited by kjeron on
    Raduzielargent77swit
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.