Skip to content

Companions from " The Siege of Dragonspear" to be added to BG 2 EE

Comments

• VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    To Complete the Soul Taker Quest for BG2SoA/Tob, Caelar Argent Companion for BG2SoA/ToB, My main WANT Baeloth Companion for BG2SoA/ToB. I will be happy!
    [Deleted User]ashafetovMirandelDaevelon
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    at this point any hopes of beamdog doing it are dead.

so just like with everything else you have to go to mods and currently only the soul taker plot has one.
    ashafetovLudwig_IIArtona
  • ashafetovashafetov Member Posts: 231
    Well.. I could not agree enough to everything said above.
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598

at this point any hopes of beamdog doing it are dead.

so just like with everything else you have to go to mods and currently only the soul taker plot has one.

Why do you think they never will do anything?
    ashafetovThacoBell

This is amazing work. I'm a little slammed this morning as we prepare for the live stream. I'll have to come back to this next week and read through in full detail.
    Excellent job putting this all together.

Hey @TrentOster . There has been far more than one week. What's the deal? Is a patch or expansion on the map?
    ashafetovhazelnuts

This is amazing work. I'm a little slammed this morning as we prepare for the live stream. I'll have to come back to this next week and read through in full detail.

Hey @TrentOster . There has been far more than one week. What's the deal? Is a patch or expansion on the map?
    @SamuelVarg Trent has answered on one of the Beamdog's streams. This content request is out of their scope for now. And no information regarding the further plans.
    hazelnuts
    ashafetov said:

@SamuelVarg Trent has answered on one of the Beamdog's streams. This content request is out of their scope for now. And no information regarding the further plans.
    That sucks. I thought they where putting out new voices etc. Shouldn't be to hard to have a few new lines from Skie and others recorded at the same time. One might think.
    And I have seen that a mod for it exist. If one man can do that - Beamdog should be able to do it too.
    ashafetovVasculioThacoBell
    @SamuelVarg I do agree, but I can also understand what "tight pipeline" and "out of scope" are. Meaning that this is not the highest priority for them now. perhaps it does depend on community's request. Maybe not enough people, etc..
    SamuelVarg[Deleted User]
    ashafetov said:

@SamuelVarg I do agree, but I can also understand what "tight pipeline" and "out of scope" are. Meaning that this is not the highest priority for them now. perhaps it does depend on community's request. Maybe not enough people, etc..

Very true. I hope I can install the mod and at least get an emotional feeling of how it would be.
    ashafetov
  • DragonspearDragonspear Member Posts: 1,838
    @SamuelVarg

"One Man" can do it, because he doesn't have to get everything approved by multiple different companies before it can be released.

Working in the IT industry, often times, the approvals are what takes longer than actually writing the code.
    SamuelVargashafetov[Deleted User]semiticgoddess
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083

If one man can do that - Beamdog should be able to do it too.

Just to clarify, everyone including Beamdog agrees that they are technically capable of producing more DLCs for these games. The issue is that Beamdog employees have to be paid while making them whereas modders will do it for free, and Beamdog is saying the financials don't work for expansions at this time. They're hoping to pivot a bit and produce some "fluff" DLCs that provide a tiny amount of content but work on all their games; we'll see how that goes.
    SamuelVargashafetovVasculio[Deleted User]

@SamuelVarg

"One Man" can do it, because he doesn't have to get everything approved by multiple different companies before it can be released.

Working in the IT industry, often times, the approvals are what takes longer than actually writing the code.

I do understand that. I have a company myself. I'm just saying it shouldn't be that difficult.
    Maybe it's just wishful thinking from my part but I find that most people in this forum really wants that expansion or mod.
    ashafetov[Deleted User]Torgrimmer
  • DregothofTyrDregothofTyr Member Posts: 229
    I would love a new dlc for BG2EE. Is this still an option?
    ashafetov[Deleted User]AedanDaevelon
    No, though most of us who frequent these forums would love for Beamdog to change its mind and make one.
    [Deleted User]
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,052
    I wouldn't really want these in SoA (Except the Skie plothole), but in ToB when you can call anyone to you that lives, a lot of the SoD people would be fitting choices.
    [Deleted User]AedanDharius
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Aside from the unresolved issue of Skie and the Soultaker dagger (which has been partially addressed by mods), I'm largely content with the fates of the SoD companions. Corwin would never be able to accompany you in your adventures through SoA and (especially) ToB with Rohma in tow, Glint seems far too flippant to really take an adventure of such import seriously (I could totally see him meeting one of the Jansen clan and then falling head over heels in love with them and going off with them on some turnip-related adventure), M'Khiin likes to keep her head down and probably wouldn't be comfortable with joining you on adventures of such cosmic scale like in ToB, Voghlin's busy getting drunk in Thay somewhere, and I usually murder Baeloth as soon as I encounter him. :P

That said, I would LOVE a DLC or a mod that imports more of the SoD gear into BG2EE. I miss my Lucky belt, and I would have loved to be able to use the weapons that Thrixx gives you for more than just 1 battle. :P
    ashafetovStummvonBordwehr
  • _Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
    I'd like Caelar to be a summoning option in the pocket plane, which indeed could summon EVERY alive character met during the saga, not only those from SoA...
    ashafetov[Deleted User]
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Every time this thread gets bumped it gets my hopes up ?
    ashafetovleeuxAedan[Deleted User]
    at this point we need to rely on modders to add them. and no one is working on that atm as they are working on other projects.

ashafetov
  • DhariusDharius Member Posts: 651
    Safana - yeah! Hexxat - meh!
    ashafetovDJKajuru[Deleted User]
  • _Connacht__Connacht_ Member Posts: 169
    megamike15 wrote: »
    at this point we need to rely on modders to add them. and no one is working on that atm as they are working on other projects.

There is a mod that adds Caelar Argent, but as far as I know, it works only with EE Trilogy. You can't install on BG2EE alone.
    ashafetov
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    It’s also painfully boring and ToB locked. Blech.
    megamike15
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    AionZ wrote: »
    It’s also painfully boring and ToB locked. Blech.

Yeah, you should finish yours! :D
    ashafetovmegamike15StummvonBordwehr
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Did anyone review the Caelar mod they are referring to? Curious to read some opinions about it.
    DJKajuruashafetov
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    Beamdog, please don't do this. There are just as many of us who feel like enough changes have been made to the classic games we love.

Many of us are more happy with your treatments of icewind Dale and Torment, where you changed as little as possible.

If you do heed this request of theirs, please make it an optional addition, toggled in the main menu.

If nothing else will dissuade you, think on this - adding the characters is work that will earn you no additional money. You'll anger as many as you please, and it's not like there are lots of people who won't buy BG2 until you add them.

Save yourself some money. Adding these characters is something modders can do if they really want it.

beamdog are not gonna touch bg again. they can't as a bg 3 is coming out and wotc wants people to pay attention to that. so like in the olden days of mid 2000 you gotta wait for modders to add n the sod npc if you want them in bg 2.

at this point beamdog really is in rough patch. their original game was cancelled and they can't work on iwd 2 due to lost code. so they may just put out the console ports and focus on premium modules for nwn ee [ original ones not that current updates they have done recently] or go and try to enhance say fallout 1 and 2 or finally let the arcanum meme die.
    ThacoBell[Deleted User]
    Beamdog was staffed mainly by Infinity Engine coding/modding vets which left them ideally positioned to make Infinity Engine EEs. As much as an Arcanum EE or Fallout EE would fit Beamdog's general brand, they just don't have the expertise to make those products as cost-effectively as would be needed in their current circumstances.

I'd have thought their best bet at this point would be to produce a BG 2.5 that would tie together the various mind flayer subplots in BG2 and conclude with them turning their attention from small-ball places like the D'Arnise Keep and the Athkatla Sewers to Baldur's Gate proper, which would then provide an ominous lead-in to BG3. Or if that is too ambitious then perhaps they could remake IWD2 from scratch in the current BGEE engine, though they've said they lack the resources to do that without the underlying IWD2 source code (which is itself not a great sign for the future since that would be far less costly and ambitious than actually making a new game from scratch).

Fingers crossed that they can pull a rabbit out of their hat though! I enjoyed SoD and hope Beamdog's best days aren't behind them.
    SamuelVarg[Deleted User]StummvonBordwehr