Skip to content

Companions from " The Siege of Dragonspear" to be added to BG 2 EE

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited November 2018
    I would love to see SoD's companions make their way to BG2 but don't think they would do much to help people create the perfect team. BG2 already has plenty of singleclass warriors and druids, an OP evil mage, and a decent bard. Indeed one reason SoD's NPCs mainly fill these slots is to give us stand-ins for the NPCs we'd later use in BG2. But that very logic says they aren't especially needed in BG2 from a party-composition point of view.

I think the biggest gaps for NPC recruitment in BG2 are fighter mages and especially fighter/thieves, of which there are currently 0. But unfortunately SoD's NPCs don't do anything to help with those. Arguably there'd be at least a small case for Glint as you could at least combine the locksmith and restoration roles in a single party member, but he's the only SoD NPC who would bring something fundamentally new to the table. Maybe the same argument could be made for M'Khiin but it just isn't tenable to carry a singleclass shaman in BG2 when you can have a fighter/druid instead.
    Post edited by jsaving on
    ashafetov
  • Ludwig_IILudwig_II Member Posts: 369
    jsaving said:

I would love to see SoD's companions make their way to BG2 but don't think they would do much to help people create the perfect team. BG2 already has plenty of singleclass warriors and druids, an OP evil mage, and a decent bard. Indeed one reason SoD's NPCs mainly fill these slots is to give us stand-ins for the NPCs we'd later use in BG2. But that very logic says they aren't especially needed in BG2 from a party-composition point of view.

I think the biggest gaps for NPC recruitment in BG2 are fighter mages and especially fighter/thieves, of which there are currently 0. But unfortunately SoD's NPCs don't do anything to help with those. Arguably there'd be at least a small case for Glint as you could at least combine the locksmith and restoration roles in a single party member, but he's the only SoD NPC who would bring something fundamentally new to the table. Maybe the same argument could be made for M'Khiin but it just isn't tenable to carry a singleclass shaman in BG2 when you can have a fighter/druid instead.

My opinion is exactly the opposite of what you wrote. We have too many multi/dual classes in BG2, and not enough single class npcs, like the ones in BG1. And sod npcs would help a lot in that sense. For example, we have only 1 Bard and that is a blade, which is more like a light version fighter/thief/mage. I want a single class bard who I can use for singing, and my options are 0. Voghiln would help a lot there. Also, we have just 1 single class thief(excluding overpowered hexxat), and that one leaves you mid game. Similar for mages and clerics.

My perfect party does not consist of overpowered multi class chars, and I'm having a hard time trying to form a party in BG2. In BG1 I have so many good single class options, and I love most of those Npcs. So, Sod npcs would help my perfect party in BG2 massively
    ThacoBellashafetovArtona
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147

I would have thought before any requests to have Beamdog add SOD companions to BG2, it would be a good idea to find out out how many players are actually playing through the expansion.

Far as I can see, the SOD board here is the quietest. I don't play it myself and there a few others who have said the same.
    Also a way to tell, how many mods have been created with those companions in BG2?
    (that would surely be a good indicator of whether overall, players wanted this)

So with this in mind, how much would any DLC earn for anybody investing in creating it?

dunbar
  • ashafetovashafetov Member Posts: 231
    edited November 2018
    Well, this is an opinion.. The addon's feasibility is up to Beamdog again. There are also people interested as well, in their behalf is this letter exactly.
    Post edited by ashafetov on
    ThacoBell
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083

Also a way to tell, how many mods have been created with those companions in BG2?
    (that would surely be a good indicator of whether overall, players wanted this)

With BG/BG2, a lot of people who said they wanted additional content were motivated enough to learn to make the content themselves. That's what caused the thriving modding community for those games to come into existence and what gave people an objective reason to believe that, hey, people really love these games. Indirectly it's even what caused Beamdog to exist at all, because without the thousands of hours of free labor those people had put in, it likely wouldn't have been cost-effective to produce any of the EEs.

When back in the day it was common for people's signatures to contain links to the content they had personally learned to make, you felt like maybe BG1/BG2 had a future after all. There's a little bit of that with SoD, as well, but not a lot. So at least from an on-the-ground fan level, it doesn't seem like SoD has generated the same level of enthusiasm. Couple that with a fairly negative reaction to the portion of the EEs that involved creative writing, and it becomes a dicey proposition to produce a BG2 expansion where writing would be the main thing being brought to the table. Here's hoping though!

ashafetovUnderstandMouseMagic
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    I've not really noticed very much strong dislike of the added on portions of the EEs, most people seem comfortable with it. We see fairly few strongly negative 'takes' considering the total sales (admittedly not many overly strong positive ones either), though the negative reviews are very prominent. I think its a cognitive bias issue, where even a few bad reviews can disproportionately affect your views, ie people remember bad reviews better than good ones. Afaik, sales were fine and most reviews of SoD were reasonably good after you discount those that didn't even buy it.
    ashafetovThacoBellArtonaronaldo
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    well it took like 6 or so years before we got the characters like xan and kivan in bg 2.
    ashafetov
    And I am still waiting for Garrick, Xzar & Montaron mods for BG2 EE as well. Still can happen one day:)
    VasculioashafetovDJKajuru
  • VasculioVasculio Member Posts: 469
    Ludwig_II said:

And I am still waiting for Garrick, Xzar & Montaron mods for BG2 EE as well. Still can happen one day:)

Well theres this mod baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=177
    ashafetovMantis37
    edited November 2018
    Post edited by Ludwig_II on
    ashafetovVasculio
  • GarrusN7GarrusN7 Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 155
    If Caelar is to be added to BG2, I believe she should be a romance option, not just the captain. Why? I sincerely believe that an ex enemy could be an interesting romanting option. And since she does have some inhuman power, she should be in Irenicus's Dungeon at the beginning. Like with that drow npc mod.
    I would certainly be interested in romancing her instead of Jaheira
    StummvonBordwehrashafetov
    @GarrusN7 sounds great, of course. There are a vast variety of different interesting options to be realized with companions from SoD, without affecting main Horion's Ward story significantly. Romancing Caelar is indeed one of them.
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Romancing Cealar is my ultimate guilty pleasure and if there was proper mod, I would court the hell out of her. Figuratively, of course. ;)
    StummvonBordwehrVasculioashafetov
    ashafetov said:

@GarrusN7 sounds great, of course. There are a vast variety of different interesting options to be realized with companions from SoD, without affecting main Horion's Ward story significantly. Romancing Caelar is indeed one of them.

Any new companions added won't affect the Ward's story. Unless they specifically edit the main story parts to have them affect what you can't or can't do. In Caelar's case, I would expect a mention from Irenicus at most. Like, "You have divine power, but it's far inferior to the Bhaalspawn which defeated you with ease. I am sure you know, child."
    Problem is, SoD companions won't be localised...when I play in Polish (which believe me, the voice actors are Legendary on scale of epicness) the new companions are always English which is sad. That very fact, I'm not sure what to think about it.
    ashafetov
    @GarrusN7 true! Regarding the voice over - this is the one among problems mentioned by Trent in stream. Temporary this is something that can be dealt with., I believe.
    ashafetov said:

@GarrusN7 true! Regarding the voice over - this is the one among problems mentioned by Trent in stream. Temporary this is something that can be dealt with., I believe.

Temporary? There's a solution?
    What did he mention about localisation?
    @GarrusN7 as far as I remember, he mentioned extra expenses connected with good quality characters voice-overs. And it meant for now it is a problem, with no ETA.
    ashafetov said:

@GarrusN7 as far as I remember, he mentioned extra expenses connected with good quality characters voice-overs. And it meant for now it is a problem, with no ETA.

Ah. Well, if they do indeed plan to add localisation some time...That's awesome.
    ashafetov
    I hope, it is still not an "End of Dialogue", is it?
    [Deleted User]Rik_KirtaniyaThacoBell
  • _Noober__Noober_ Member Posts: 6
    Ever been to Baldur's Gate? I've been to Baldur's Gate.
    [Deleted User]Rik_Kirtaniya
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    edited January 2019
    @_noo... Er... @SamuelVarg Welcome back! ;)
    SamuelVargJuliusBorisovRik_Kirtaniya
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    Hehe. Been a while. Got a son and other stuff.
    Glad to be back though.
    JuliusBorisovRik_KirtaniyaTresset
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742

Naww. The moderators killed Noober. To bad.
    But there is no loss in reputation I think.

But we missed the EXP points! All those precious EXP points!
    DragonspearDaevelon
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598

Naww. The moderators killed Noober. To bad.
    But there is no loss in reputation I think.

But we missed the EXP points! All those precious EXP points!
    Don't blame me. Blame the gods of the forum. They killed him. ;)
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited January 2019
    Getting back on topic, I recently ended SOD for the second time. I must say that I enjoyed it a lot and I had the chance to see how the game has a lot of qualities and attention to details.
    I do hope to see some closure to SOD plot - specifically, the Soultaker quest - and I NEED to see Glint again. He is supposed to be my left arm! He cannot disappear just like that! :'(
    Post edited by Aedan on
    [Deleted User]ashafetovThacoBell