Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    edited January 2019

I just lost a solo mage run at the Ducal Palace. I don't know how exactly it went wrong, but I think Liia Jannath got confused by a Chaos spell from the doppelganger mage, and then attacked Sarevok, turning him hostile and causing him to attack her back, killing her in two hits.

Anybody ever see this happening before? Liia Jannath is still bugged to cast no spells during the fight in my install, but this time, her bugged status doesn't stop her from breaking invisibility (I cast Invisibility on her at the start of the fight) when she gets confused. It seems like the only way I could have prevented this would be to go all-out on the charm offensive and use Algernon's Cloak to draw some or all of the doppelgangers into one room, a safe distance from Liia Jannath. I wasn't aware that a Chaos spell could actually prompt her into breaking invisibility; I've never seen this happen, nor can I recall hearing about it.

Come to think of it, why not charm Liia Jannath herself and park her in a corner somewhere? I think you could get within range of charming her without getting close enough to Sarevok to start the dialog, and if you shoved her in a corner, she would be out of range of any Chaos spells and so forth that the mage might throw out.

If I remember correctly, I think that trying to charm Liia Jannath herself is considered a hostile act and so ends the game.
    Grond0 said:

@semiticgod I would be reluctant to charm Liia. I think even trying that by spell would turn her hostile in my installation. Trying by cloak would not, but she would go hostile when the effect ended - and I've been auto-killed in that situation. I do remember one post in this thread from someone who managed to get her to do her closing dialogue despite her being hostile, so you might get lucky, but it seems chancy to me. If you're going to use charms, then doing that to the dopplegangers (like the mage) would seem the safer option.

Only just read this. We agree I believe.
    Grond0CrevsDaak
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Flashburn: Congratulations on tackling SCS Ust Natha! Your setup is hilariously broken and I love how it screws with the game engine. Keep it up!
    FlashburnWise_GrimwaldCrevsDaak
  • ArthasArthas Member Posts: 1,091
    Do Ust nasta matron or everything that gets purged in Ust nasta have any "special items", provided that SCS is installed?
    Wise_Grimwald
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I am absolutely reducing Black Ray’s duration from 5 rounds to 2 rounds next update.
    FlashburnsemiticgoddessCrevsDaak
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Flashburn: Odd that you had trouble with Nizidramanii'yt. I don't remember having any trouble lugging him around dragons as party members in my old Seducer run... unless I periodically killed and resurrected them to get through tight areas, which wouldn't be possible for a follower.

@AionZ: I'm not as familiar with the kit, but if we're going for game balance, I think it might make more sense to make the disabler less reliable, rather than shorter in duration. Even two rounds of neutralized spellcasting without a saving throw is nearly enough to break any mage encounter, since mages depend so heavily on establishing advantages in the earliest rounds of combat.
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I think you're both right. I'll be changing Black Ray in my install to require a save vs. spell at -2 to negate the dead magic and reduce the duration to just 1 round. -2 sounds about right, as mages have pretty good saves vs. spell and shadow magic typically carries a saving throw penalty.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I hate saving throws.
    semiticgoddessCrevsDaak