Skip to content

Beamdog's Next Release ?

Has this gotten any clarification or clues recently?

I checked the Live Stream recaps and there is a lot about Patches for IE EE and features for NWN but not about a new major release.

Last thing *I believe* I heard was there was going to be a big announcement - but that turned out to be a minor announcement that some folks got upset with .... and now ... I am not sure ....

Anyone have a link where the next major product release is discussed? (if it indeed is being discussed)

[Deleted User]

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    The big announcement (another game being worked on) got cancelled and was meant to be in addition to the smaller one (the Dice, Camera, Action voice/portrait pack), which ended up taking all the focus and naturally disappointing people. I don't remember quite what the reasoning for pulling the announcement was, but they confirmed they're still working on the game.
    ThacoBell[Deleted User]
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Um, where did they confirm a new game (and that it is still being worked on)? We forumites assumed the "big" announcement was about a new game, and even then only that it was another EE, specifically an Axis & Allies EE.
    Chronicler
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Axis and Allies was never formally announced. Its what forumites clung too as the answer. Beamdog also had Gaider on staff for about a year (two?) and its unlikely they would have needed him for just another EE.
    ChroniclerAedan[Deleted User]
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    New game was confirmed in Beamblogs and Twitch streams.

I assumed it’d have been announced by now (mid November) but it looks like it’s being pushed even further back than that.

Which is fine. If it’s not done, give the developers all the time in the world to finish it properly the world can wait.
    ThacoBellChronicler[Deleted User]brunardo
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i had this feeling the reason david left was because 1. the game got cancelled. or 2. it was done and he had no reason to be there.
    [Deleted User]
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    If he was brought on for BG3, which was never confirmed, it's a shame the game fell through as it would have been interesting to see what he could do to reinvigorate the franchise.
    [Deleted User]

i had this feeling the reason david left was because 1. the game got cancelled. or 2. it was done and he had no reason to be there.

Or 3. His part was finished, and the other departments need to now as well.
    Aedan[Deleted User]
  • thruddthrudd Member Posts: 96
    I Think a Brand New 5th Edition D&D Game will be The next Beamdog Project to be Announced.With a brand new Engine and Story and Characters, I am Hoping it takes Place In the Forgotten Realms It is my Favorite Setting,Possibly someplace Other than the Sword Coast would be a Nice Change, Keeping my Fingers crossed for an Announcement sometime After the new year!!!!
    [Deleted User]ThacoBellAedan
    deltago said:

New game was confirmed in Beamblogs and Twitch streams.

The "new" label can be applied to a new EE or an expansion. I don't recall anything from beamdog confirming a new game, which to me means a truly new original game and not an EE of or a DLC to an existing game. I guess it comes down to how we each choose to interpret certain words.

For my part I have no expectations anymore of a truly new original game from Beamdog.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i consider a premium module for nwn ee a new game.
    @kanisatha So you think they hired Gaider just to do an editing pass of an old game?
  • GrimjackMVGrimjackMV Member Posts: 151
    ThacoBell said:

Or 3. His part was finished, and the other departments need to now as well.
    That's probably more on the money.

Beamdog is a small studio and likely able to work on one game at a time. Writing happens first, before everything else. Keeping David on the payroll when his contribution has essentially been completed is not to the benefit of either company or health of the game development cycle.
    ThacoBell[Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Beamdog never said why Gaider was hired, but a cash-poor studio like Beamdog doesn't pay big money to hire the best-known Baldur's Gate (and Dragon Age) dev for anything but BG3. There's no way in the world he was hired simply to do an editing pass for an old game.
    [Deleted User]
  • GrimjackMVGrimjackMV Member Posts: 151
    jsaving said:

Beamdog never said why Gaider was hired, but a cash-poor studio like Beamdog doesn't pay big money to hire the best-known Baldur's Gate (and Dragon Age) dev for anything but BG3. There's no way in the world he was hired simply to do an editing pass for an old game.

An editing pass doesn't take a year to complete.
    [Deleted User]
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    There was a speculation thread for all this...
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    We should merge'm
    ThacoBell said:

@kanisatha So you think they hired Gaider just to do an editing pass of an old game?

No. He was hired to work on a new IP Forgotten Realms game. Then, after a year or so of working on that game, either WotC or Beamdog pulled the plug on the game for whatever reason(s). With nothing meaningful left to do and not wanting to spend his time working on EEs or DLCs, he resigned and moved on. That's what I see as having happened.
    scriver[Deleted User]
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    So, no new games?
  • anastielanastiel Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 246
    30/03
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    So is that March 30th, or March 2030?
    ThacoBell
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Dear Beamdog, announcing your next game will bring new life to this forum. We need new interesting topics for discussions and speculations!
    StummvonBordwehrThacoBellOlvynChuru
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Aedan said:

Dear Beamdog, announcing your next game will bring new life to this forum. We need new interesting topics for discussions and speculations!

And actual visual progress wouldn't hurt either. Be it Teaser Trailers, screenshots or concept illustrations. Anything other than vague hint droppings every couple of months, really.
    AedanThacoBell
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    I'd settle for Battle Chess EE!
    mlneveseTorgrimmer
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I like the idea of Battle Chess EE... maybe get the rights for the Star Wars chess pieces and sounds and make a Battle Chess Star Wars Edition to launch along with Episode IX in December :wink:
    TorgrimmerBalrog99
  • DonCzirrDonCzirr Member Posts: 165
    Since we're spinning this out to some ideas for a new game - let me toss this out there:

Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate.

Excellent Sci-Fi tactical RPG - that is almost certainly abandonware and could get a Beamdog EE treatment to modernize and enhance ...

Torgrimmer
  • TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    DonCzirr said:

Since we're spinning this out to some ideas for a new game - let me toss this out there:

Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate.

Excellent Sci-Fi tactical RPG - that is almost certainly abandonware and could get a Beamdog EE treatment to modernize and enhance ...

Me like especially how Workshop likes to throw their license out to anyone anyway.

Aedan said:

And actual visual progress wouldn't hurt either. Be it Teaser Trailers, screenshots or concept illustrations. Anything other than vague hint droppings every couple of months, really.
    You guys are serious optimists. My view is that you can't show (or talk about) something you don't have.
    Raduziel
    @kanisatha And you are a serious cynic. Beamdog went so far as to hire Gaider to write, and even had some concept art teases. Not to mention they were willing at one point to make a big stream announcement. Pretty odd view to assume worst case when proof to the contrary exists.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    ThacoBell said:

@kanisatha And you are a serious cynic. Beamdog went so far as to hire Gaider to write, and even had some concept art teases. Not to mention they were willing at one point to make a big stream announcement. Pretty odd view to assume worst case when proof to the contrary exists.

Well, with or without cynism, I stand with @kanisatha 's theory.

Where is the big announcement they promised us? Not a single word was spoken about it since the flop.

I will only believe that Beamdog is working on something when I see it released on Steam. And even in this scenario, I'll wait a long time before buying to not end up receiving another NWN "Enhanced" Edition.
    kanisathaWarChiefZeke