Skip to content

Beamdog's Next Release ?

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    kanisatha said:

And actual visual progress wouldn't hurt either. Be it Teaser Trailers, screenshots or concept illustrations. Anything other than vague hint droppings every couple of months, really.

You guys are serious optimists. My view is that you can't show (or talk about) something you don't have.
    Optimist? Me? I've been called many things over the years. But being called an optimist is certainly new.
    I only believe something is actively worked on if I actually see visual progress. Thus my comment.

Sorry, but I don't hold my breath for joking live stream comments or some annual twitter hint. Got better things to do.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    ThacoBell said:

@kanisatha And you are a serious cynic. Beamdog went so far as to hire Gaider to write, and even had some concept art teases. Not to mention they were willing at one point to make a big stream announcement. Pretty odd view to assume worst case when proof to the contrary exists.

You can label me a pessimist or even a naysayer but cynic is quite unfair.

Also, the things you cite are in no way proof of anything.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    i really want beamdog to attempt thier own premium module. unlike sod it would be 100% original so we can see if they can make a game on thier own.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367

i really want beamdog to attempt thier own premium module. unlike sod it would be 100% original so we can see if they can make a game on thier own.

Greyhawk!!!!
    Raduziel said:

Balrog99 said:

Greyhawk!!!!
    You misspelled "Ravenloft".
    I thought it didn't look quite right...
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Balrog99 said:

Greyhawk Ravenloft!!!!
    Fixed, @Balrog99 :smile:
    Anything but Forgotten Realm's Faerûn setting! Heck, I'd even take Birthright over it. And that campaign setting was baaaaad.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited January 2019
    It's hard to see Gaider's departure as a sign Beamdog is preparing to launch an ambitious new IE-style RPG in a D&D setting. But I hope you guys are right that a new Greyhawk or Ravenloft release could happen; here's hoping!
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    kanisatha said:

ThacoBell said:

@kanisatha And you are a serious cynic. Beamdog went so far as to hire Gaider to write, and even had some concept art teases. Not to mention they were willing at one point to make a big stream announcement. Pretty odd view to assume worst case when proof to the contrary exists.

You can label me a pessimist or even a naysayer but cynic is quite unfair.

Also, the things you cite are in no way proof of anything.
    You're right, they must have hired Gaider just for gits and shiggles.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    jsaving said:

It's hard to see Gaider's departure as a sign Beamdog is preparing to launch an ambitious new IE-style RPG in a D&D setting. But I hope you guys are right that a new Greyhawk or Ravenloft release could happen; here's hoping!

I thought that might be the case as well but that may now be industry standard as Drew Karypshyn did with BioWare’s Anthem.

I don’t think writers want to be tied down to just one IP, create something new and exciting that others can build on and then move on.
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    It's Axies & Allies. Good grief.
    edited February 2019
    We already knew about that, though. It's just that some had wishful thinking of it being a dev joke.
    Not interested in that franchise myself, so it will pretty much be the second Beamdog title I will ignore entirely. The first one being MDK2 HD.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    :(

I was hoping for something else.
    Well, I wish Beamdog all the best with this title, if it means more money for future projects.
  • wildfirewildfire Member Posts: 69
    Something like Icewind Dale 3 needs more time and money to bake.
    edited February 2019
    I wouldn't mind an Axis and Allies game with a decent A.I. I used to spend a lot of my gaming time playing war simulations years ago. There hasn't been anything that's caught my interest since the V for Victory games though. There are quite a few variant games in Axis and Allies now so if they have success that could be a good revenue stream for Beamdog if they carve out a niche in that market. I'll probably buy the first one and see how it is. If it's good stuff I'd buy the WW1, Europe 1940 and Pacific 1940 games too if they make them.
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind an Axis and Allies game with a decent A.I. I used to spend a lot of my gaming time playing war simulations years ago. There hasn't been anything that's caught my interest since the V for Victory games though. There are quite a few variant games in Axis and Allies now so if they have success that could be a good revenue stream for Beamdog if they carve out a niche in that market. I'll probably buy the first one and see how it is. If it's good stuff I'd buy the WW1, Europe 1940 and Pacific 1940 games too if they make them.

You might want to check out the new "The Operational Art of War 4" and "Armored Brigade" games from Matrix.
    Aedan wrote: »

Well, I wish Beamdog all the best with this title, if it means more money for future projects.

Agreed, but isn't this what we've been saying for three successive Beamdog releases in a row now? In each case our expectation has been that it will be the new 5e D&D RPG that's supposedly been in development for at least three years, but then it turned out to be PsT:EE, NwN:EE, and now A&A. At some point we need to become realistic with our expectations.
    kanisatha wrote: »
    Aedan wrote: »

Agreed, but isn't this what we've been saying for three successive Beamdog releases in a row now? In each case our expectation has been that it will be the new 5e D&D RPG that's supposedly been in development for at least three years, but then it turned out to be PsT:EE, NwN:EE, and now A&A. At some point we need to become realistic with our expectations.

Well it’ll probably go DLC for NWN, DLC for A&A, DLC for NWN, then new game with a couple of nickel and dime portrait packs or merchants (once they realize how popular that’s going to be for IE games) scattered through out.

March 2020 is my guess for a new IP title at this point.
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 108
    deltago wrote: »

Well it’ll probably go DLC for NWN, DLC for A&A, DLC for NWN, then new game with a couple of nickel and dime portrait packs or merchants (once they realize how popular that’s going to be for IE games) scattered through out.

I like your optimism, but at this rate 3 DLCs would be more like March 2021 at the earliest for anything new. NWN's been out for about a year right? And unless I'm forgetting something, the only DLC was one that was already mostly completed during the original NWN release window.
    edited February 2019

You might want to check out the new "The Operational Art of War 4" and "Armored Brigade" games from Matrix.

Are those strategic level games? Most games these days are more tactical. I like to be 'der Fuehrer' and run entire countries or even a Field-Marshall controlling an army or army group more than I like driving a tank.
    deltago wrote: »

I like your optimism, but at this rate 3 DLCs would be more like March 2021 at the earliest for anything new. NWN's been out for about a year right? And unless I'm forgetting something, the only DLC was one that was already mostly completed during the original NWN release window.

I’m taking into account that the new IP has already been in production prior to NWN being acquired.

They weren’t making NWN DLC prior to last year. I am mostly looking at the writing involved in making one. Three DLCs are also a stretch without significant graphical upgrades. They’ll remaster another game first before releasing 3 DLCs for what is a decades old game.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    edited February 2019
    megamike15 wrote: »

I would like this myself but based on Trents statements in the last stream i'd say that's not happening. "I'd like to but can't promise anything" is the company line for "abandon all hope."

Are those strategic level games? Most games these days are more tactical. I like to be 'der Fuehrer' and run entire countries or even a Field-Marshall controlling an army or army group more than I like driving a tank.

No they are not strategic but they are not simulators either. TOAW 4, by its very title, is at the operational level which is corps/division/brigade level. AB is at the tactical level which is battalion/company level. They're wargames in that you move units on a (hexegonal) map, although in the case of AB they include factoring in terrain features and buildings and such.
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    A&A? Has this been confirmed? Couldn't they find anything better to work on?
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Illustair wrote: »
    A&A? Has this been confirmed?

Yes, it's confirmed. Read here:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/74512/beamdog-announces-axis-allies-online#latest
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited February 2019
    That's not DnD :neutral::(
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    Now that we know what the next release is, isn't it time to start to guess speculate about the next next release? :)
    mlnevese wrote: »
    Now that we know what the next release is, isn't it time to start to guess speculate about the next next release? :)

Not really. I'm rather exhausted from speculating on account of recent disappointments. Just don't see the point.
  • killerrabbitkillerrabbit Member Posts: 402
    Those are my feeling as well. I lurk around hoping against hope for a D&D expansion and/or module. But it's not happening is it?

I should probably go nibble on some bones and remind myself that Xan was right. Hope is futile.

Ah well. Hope this pays everyone's rent.