Skip to content

The new text editor is coming soon!

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
edited February 2019 in Site Resources
Julius has just just switched us to the new rich text editor which had been previously discussed here. This is a major change to our forum so feel free to ask questions and test your post formatting for the new system here.

Read about the new text editor here and here.

Post edited by Tresset on

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    False alarm. Apparently the admins switched format to wsyg temporarily in order to fix a few bugs. They just didn't tell anyone and I didn't know any better.

The new rich text editor will actually be out in about a 2 weeks, February 6th.
    JuliusBorisovlolienTorgrimmer
  • Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    Tresset said:

False alarm. Apparently the admins switched format to wsyg temporarily in order to fix a few bugs. They just didn't tell anyone and I didn't know any better.

The new rich text editor will actually be out in about a 2 weeks, February 6th.

Ah, that's why I didn't find any difference when I tried to use the forum text editor after reading this thread.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    What's going on at the moment? Whenever I quote, it starts in the WYSIWYG editor. If I switch to HTML mode (WYSIWYG editors give me the shivers), I've got to manually insert br tags to start newlines.

Can we please have UBB mode back?
    lefreut
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Testing, please ignore. Just wanna test
    Thels said:
    What's going on at the moment? Whenever I quote, it starts in the WYSIWYG editor. If I switch to HTML mode (WYSIWYG editors give me the shivers), I've got to manually insert br tags to start newlines.

Can we please have UBB mode back?

Oh.. now I see there's a difference. Hmm.. this will take some time to get accustomed to.
    edited January 2019
    We switched the format to fix some bugs with the forum. Unfortunately, we will just have to endure this until the new rich text editor actually comes out in about a week.

"Endure. In enduring, grow strong."
    JuliusBorisov
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Hey, I'm old! I shouldn't have to endure change after change, that's for the young folks! :P
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited January 2019

Internal joke :)
    JuliusBorisov
  • TorgrimmerTorgrimmer Member Posts: 331
    You know what's sad in all this, I get it, lol
    mlneveseJuliusBorisov
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    Tresset said:
    We switched the format to fix some bugs with the forum. Unfortunately, we will just have to endure this until the new rich text editor actually comes out in about a week.

"Endure. In enduring, grow strong."
    To fix some bugs, you switch to something that is a pain in the a** to use :/ I'm glad I don't often have to post things that require formatting as it's a nightmare to do right now.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @lefreut
    We would have had to switch anyway, at the time the new Editor is released. I understand the WYSIWYG editor is not the ideal solution, but this is what needs to be gone through before we can switch to a supported editor by Vanilla.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    What on God's green (-ish) earth is going on that the forum isn't parsing the most basic html tags???

This place is a mess.
    I think this can be answered in one word: Vanilla.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    We would have had to switch anyway, at the time the new Editor is released. I understand the WYSIWYG editor is not the ideal solution, but this is what needs to be gone through before we can switch to a supported editor by Vanilla.
    Does that mean HTML mode will be removed completely when the new editor is released? Or asked differently, will it still be possible to prepare posts beforehand with the new editor?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    argent77 said:
    Does that mean HTML mode will be removed completely when the new editor is released? Or asked differently, will it still be possible to prepare posts beforehand with the new editor?
    https://docs.vanillaforums.com/help/addons/rich-editor/

Additional information will be available once the editor is out of the beta.
    Please pretty please keep UBB support available! Seriously, nobody wants to work with HTML for just a simple post, and WYSIWYG is just a pain to work with.

I don't mind there being an option for WYSIWYG or HTML. They can have their uses. But UBB is and remains the most convenient for forum posts.
    lefreut
    UBB is what Vanilla has as BBCode. We will still be able to choose that with the new Rich Editor.
    UBB, BBcode, basically the same thing.

But as far as I know, that's not currently available?
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    If the new editor let me make functional tables i will be happy. I don't have high hopes however.
    As long as I will be able to showcase my work of art  i professionally do on my wife's toes, I will be happy.
    Snork
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited February 2019

Where are the formatting options?

Never mind... I see them now... reading the docs help 👽️

Woot

Back to the old format, for now. That white/black thing looked bad.
    SkatanlolienTorgrimmer
    edited February 2019

yeah just saw as @minevese said where are formatting options? Oh never mind i just saw found them lol silly me lol, evil alien.

• Rik_KirtaniyaRik_Kirtaniya Member Posts: 1,742
    edited February 2019
    So... uh... this thing isn't finalized yet, hmm? I see odd things coming up when I'm trying to quote anyone. :o Is the stable version coming up soon?

Edit: And... is html still working in the posts?
    @Rik_Kirtaniya Things are kinda crazy right now. We tried the new editor for a while. It lasted a few minutes before we got tired of how ugly it was and switched to something else again.
    TorgrimmermlneveseSkatanJuliusBorisov
    For now BBCode is working in the posts, and this is the main thing, according to the previous comments in this thread.
    lolienSkatanTorgrimmermlnevese
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    How can I change text size with BBCode? Both tag variants [ style ] and [ size ] don't seem to work.
    Skatanenqenq