Skip to content

Backstabbing?

ShadowKnightShadowKnight Member Posts: 2
So I really need some solid answers to help me out here guys. I'm new to BG2 well not brand new I know of the game just not pro. So if I were to build any kind of thief what would be my best bet for backstabbing then getting back to being invisible without being compromised. I've watched youtube videos and I've seen ppl do it but they do everything so fast I can see what their doing. So if anyone has any information that can help me or also give me some good tips on what thief classes to try out that would be amazing. Thanks for the help and support guys.
Post edited by Tresset on

Comments

• ArachnusArachnus Member Posts: 20
    You could try blinding your thief.
    But it will probably be hindered by to hit penalty.
    Enemy must not be seen by you only and then stealth button can be active.
    ShadowKnight
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    edited February 2019

Edit2: As an alternative to the Shadowdancer, you can also use Blindness on your Thief. That comes with a serious penalty on his or her THAC0, so it's not an optimal solution. But you can activate Hide in Shadows so long as there are no enemies inside of YOUR field of vision. It's a bug, obviously. Just don't tell anyone that you are exploiting it. You can rationalize it to yourself that a true thief wouldn't follow the spirit of the law if it's not beneficial to them. Loopholes exist to be exploited. You are just doing what a thief should do. Deep down you'll know that it's no justification, and the guilt will eat away at you. Before long your social life will fall apart as the secret will make it impossible for you to connect with other people. But that just means you'll have more time for Baldur's Gate II.
    Is this true @semiticgod ? :D
  • Oswald81Oswald81 Member Posts: 63
    edited February 2019
    Use those Sandthief's Rings (Lich at the Gate and that thief at Seven Whales) and potions of Invisibility for simpler backstabbing.  You can splay on an Improved Invisibility I believe and achieve the enemy's rear.  But I personally finds that a very cheesy tactic to use when you couple that with Haste and Dispels as well then run in your thief/thieves.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    @ShadowKnight I just found your other thread caught in the forum's automated spam filter. I have edited the OP of this thread with the text of the thread that was caught, since I assume that is what you actually wanted to say before the spam filter got in your way. I have also verified you so that this sort of thing should not happen again.
    lolienShadowKnight
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    I was curious about the "losing contact with other people" part, but thanks anyway :)
    ShadowKnight
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    So if I were to build any kind of thief what would be my best bet for backstabbing then getting back to being invisible without being compromised.
    shadowdancers and blinded thieves apart a thief can use backstabbing in a quite efficient and reliable way if he has enough high hide in shadows and move silently.
    some tips.
    1. you have much more chance to hide if the thief is in a dark spot in the moment he activates the ability, after he can move to other places full of light without being spotted until the next check.
    in the dungeons not all the places have the same light, choosing where to activate the ability is crucial.
    2. being under haste or with some boots that improve speed is really important both to reach the enemy and backstab before the new check comes and to run away after the backstab.
    3. every corner or object that can be used to break the line of sight between you and the enemy is your friend. if you backstab an enemy and run away then as you turn the corner you hide the enemy that is following you will stay right near the place where you did hide. so a low level thief can kill a really strong fighter enemy with a lot of hp just using a corner to get multiple backstabs.

SkatanAerakar