Skip to content

EU is trying to destroy internet as we know it.

Comments

• DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    If I'm not mistaken it is already going to the plenary for a vote.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    edited November 2018
    It seems like the rest of the internet is slowly starting waking up. You dropping it there.

https://www.youtube.com/intl/ang/saveyourinternet/
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/13N8guX-Wu1RjwaY-qpmMFtJ4y1DWzf8l/view
  • DragonKingDragonKing Member Posts: 1,977
    YouTube has already said they'd block the EU, its the only option. They and most none EU social media sites, forums, and chats will have to do to survive
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    That would suck.

For the 2 minutes it would take me to set up a VPN.
    And then VPNs will become illegal like they are in china if I recall. Not saying that would stop people, just saying Brexit seems more and more like a smart move.

I mean how is the EU not authoritarian in nature. Even one of the parliament members was talking about how they were an empire and basically calling for a cold war with the freaking U.S... Last I checked, we were freaking allies!
  • ArdanisArdanis Member Posts: 1,736
    Wait until they proclaim unlicensed use of VPN illegal.
    It is very hard to maintain even a tiny bit of faith in humanity anymore.
    @O_Bruce has there been any news on Australia's access bill? I haven't heard anything about it since it first appeared
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,313

And then VPNs will become illegal like they are in china if I recall. Not saying that would stop people, just saying Brexit seems more and more like a smart move.

I mean how is the EU not authoritarian in nature. Even one of the parliament members was talking about how they were an empire and basically calling for a cold war with the freaking U.S... Last I checked, we were freaking allies!

@DragonKing I did a search to try and find the reference here. Unless you can tell me otherwise, I assume you're referring to Chancellor Merkel's statement that the EU should consider creating an EU army (following on from Macron doing the same thing). She made no mention of a cold war, but Nigel Farage (hardly an unbiased observer) accused her of doing that.

It's perhaps worth pointing out that the suggestion to look at whether to create an EU army is in the context that:
    - Trump placed the EU first on the US' list of greatest foes this summer.
    - the US has subsequently put tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from the EU on the grounds that allowing its allies to provide these is a threat to US national security.
    - Trump has also called on the EU to increase defense spending and reduce the NATO burden carried by the US.

Given that context it's not terribly surprising if the EU feels the need to be able to defend itself - and in theory the desire to do so should actually please the US.

Incidentally, if you want to discuss this sort of issue further you could do so in the politics thread.
    @Grond0
    I'll redig it up for you later, but as far as discussing politics, no o have little to now actual interest in doing that here for the most part.
    YouTube lawyer actually went through article 13 if anyone want to see it, now back to drawing for me.

https://youtu.be/6wR5PGZArE4
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    Starting from today, Reddit shows the following message when you visit it:

When you click that link, you're being redirected to https://dontwreckthe.net/
    How long until VPN usage will be outlawed i wonder?

Starting from today, Reddit shows the following message when you visit it:

Good. Also whoever thought it was a smart idea to demand all sites to popup cookie warning message was a very cretinous person indeed, because the only thing this so called "law" did has force me to install notification blocker. Welp, now I won't even know if some site does have important info in popup. Hope the the ones responsible get a life sentence.
    Well, both article 11 and 13 passed today in EU. For those that spread the world, thank you for your attempts.

For those who knew but ignored the matter, you have nothing but my disdain.
    @JuliusBorisov the topic can be closed now. It is useless at this point.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited March 2019
    While the EU parliament passed both article 11 and article 17 (previously known as article 13), each EU country still has to sign them for themselves. Dozens of demonstrations are already in the work, too.

The upcoming European elections might also be yet another leverage against both articles. So it's very important that EU citizens will vote by then. Though small, it is still a chance.
    That is assuming voting actually does anything. Even if you can choose idiots that are supposed to represent you and your interests, those idiots clearly doesn't care about doing their job correctly.

The light of hope is that the implementation of the laws will not work and so these cretins will be forced to back away a bit.
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    That outlook is unlikely at best. As the whole thing was build to create additional influxes of money. And if it's one thing politicians are proficient in, then it's to fill their own coffers.
    Yeah, they think they will earn more with that move. The thing is, they don't know how internet works and how powerful tool it is for advertisements and promotion. Now, when you take away ability to share links, fair use law people used to indirectly promote someone's else content, thus providing more traffic? That's right, there will be a loss of profit.

What they did is so moronic and so out of touch with the reality it can only backfire.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    O_Bruce wrote: »
    Yeah, they think they will earn more with that move. The thing is, they don't know how internet works and how powerful tool it is for advertisements and promotion. Now, when you take away ability to share links, fair use law people used to indirectly promote someone's else content, thus providing more traffic? That's right, there will be a loss of profit.

What they did is so moronic and so out of touch with the reality it can only backfire.

I think that’s the whole point.
    @O_Bruce
    Farewell amego, I have a constitution and a bill of rights to protect.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    It seems I've missed something.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    edited March 2019
    @Skatan
    Article 13 in the UK is a proposal that would place the requirement to censure unspecified and “potentially” copywrited material on the platforms on which that material is found, not on the individual who uploaded or creator.

In essence, the fear is that it is an impossible endeavor that will ultimately be implemented with the goal of silencing small-time creators on behalf of big-name companies that can afford the legal fees. There is reason to suspect it will be applied to silence political and social views that don’t coincide with that government’s mainstream narrative, as it really is impossible and unprofitable to remove all unspecified and potentially copywrited material from the internet.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    edited March 2019
    @mashedtaters Article 13 was passed in the European Parliament, not UK.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Thanks @mashedtaters, good sum-up. And thanks @FinneousPJ.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Best case scenario - EU citizens will be forced to use VPN
    Worst case scenario - Other countries wiill copy this BS

An interesting video
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmO7BdPcmlU

Thanks to EU, from the southernmost part of Scilly to the Northern part of Sweden, everyone is forced to follow the same law. That is awful.
  • AmmarAmmar Member Posts: 1,297

An interesting video

Thanks to EU, from the southernmost part of Scilly to the Northern part of Sweden, everyone is forced to follow the same law. That is awful.

First off, that is not true. EU laws impose some restrictions on the member state, but there is still more heterogeneity in laws between countries than in classical Federal Republics like the USA.

Furthermore, the entire EU is still smaller than the US, Brazil or China. So the comment still seems strange in that regard as well.

If you post a video, please include a short summary.
  • SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    Ammar wrote: »

An interesting video

First off, that is not true. EU laws impose some restrictions on the member state, but there is still more heterogeneity in laws between countries than in classical Federal Republics like the USA.

Furthermore, the entire EU is still smaller than the US, Brazil or China. So the comment still seems strange in that regard as well.

If you post a video, please include a short summary.

Yes, but state members has too little freedom in Brazil or China, even modern USA(old USA was different). That is why they don't work; in fact the unique places good to live in China, are the autonomous regions like Hong Kong.

Modern states are becoming an sovietic beurocracy in therms of stupid excessive centralized regulations.

Here is an interesting video showing the ludicrous amount of EU regulations.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsxkCF4W-NY
    That's unreasonably optimistic. VPNs are already on very shaky ground in Russia, because they can be used to circumvent the censorship. And it all began mere six years ago with a law to overprotect children.