Skip to content

BGII:EE and IWD:EE are back on Google Play

Comments

• RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Ludwig_II wrote: »
    As Beamdog is silent on it, I want to fill the void with my speculations. The only software developer who can make code changes went on a maternity leave, so Beamdog is waiting for her to come back when her child is 1 year old. Till then, nobody in Beamdog is able to update links in a codebase guys, tough luck.

That's an absurd.

I hope she also doesn't have the only copy of the bathroom key.
    We've been honest about the issue, and will continue to be honest. The previous reply was 6 days ago. The team was at PAX East at that moment, so further details couldn't be provided. Now they have returned to Edmonton, and I plan to post an update today, after hearing back from Luke and Trent.

That's an absurd too. So the crisis goes on because there's no one left at the office to give a proper response?

---

To everyone freaking on their pants, let me tell you guys something: Beamdog is a management chaos (as you guys can see from the quotes above) and are not very fond or attached to deadlines (the 2.6 patch was supposed to be released in December and so far we have no idea why it wasn't) and they have a serious communication/customer service issue

BUT

They are a fair company - that's for sure. And they aim to do things right. So no, this is not a robbery or a scam or a fraud or whatever. It is just Beamdog being Beamdog and tangling on their shoelaces.

You guys can rest assured that this will be solved - especially as it affects Beamdog's reputation and cash flow in a way that a delayed patch or not addressed problems never would - there's no need for unfairness towards the company.

I understand that many of you guys are frustrated - I have this feeling towards Beamdog for almost an year for a complete different reason - but let's not cross a line here.

As I've read from Julius post here and at Reddit, a refund policy was established. So if you're worried about losing your money, relax as this is not necessary. The Enhanced Editions are worth the wait (even the biggest "meh" called Siege of Dragonspear).

Relax :)
    Whisp3Prince_Raymond
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    kieranovks wrote: »
    pirrie it seemed like your comment was aimed at me apologies if it wasn't , I would prefer put trainers into loft to make more storage in wardrobe analogy though. If my tablet had infinite storage like a magic bag of holding I wouldn't have deleted it at all. To the guy who described the car scenario would you not expect a courtesy car? Or at least money for a bus pass for being put out?

Well I can suggest a few free to play games if you want something inline with a courtesy car.

It’d be cool if Google play had a free to play system like Steam has then maybe Beamdog could have given access to their titles that weren’t affected for free until this issue is fixed so that their customers could try them out and get a positive experience out of this negative (and maybe even get some new sales) but I do not think Google has that type of service.

As for a monetary value, besides offering a refund which Julius said needs to be done through Google, I don’t see anything else they can do. They maybe able to offer an apology discount on other products, but that is the customer giving them more money, so IMO it doesn’t work.

All I can say is to be patient and give them their couple of weeks deadline (end of the month) to get this stuff fixed. If they miss it, and don’t follow up why it was missed prior to the end of the month, feel free to complain some more and light them up, I’ll be there with you saying communicate to your customers.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    @JuliusBorisov

If you guys are altering the UI already, will the team fix the UI-related bug reports (especially rolling back what was done with WEAPPROF.2da's display at creation/level up screen)?

And can you please clarify what is the issue that's holding back 2.6 exactly? To be in line with the honesty policy you raised on the previous page of this thread (quoted above). Would be also good to know why the pathfinding issue is not being addressed for this next patch.

Thanks.
    Prince_Raymond
  • Whisp3Whisp3 Member Posts: 10
    edited April 2019
    Is there any official statement on the issue besides this topic? I've been considering buying NWN EE but while I cannot even play ID EE spending more on anything from Beamdog is out of the question, for now. General lack of information works against you guys. You have contacts of your customers somewhere I guess. You could have send us a mail at least.
  • PirriePirrie Member Posts: 26
    A quick comment.

It will take more time than a couple of weeks or end of the month because UI changes are required, i.e. a completely new build is needed, and that brings up the same (undisclosed, currently being solved) issue as with the 2.6 patch.

Thank you for the update. I for one will wait patiently for your Devs to re release the app. No point in a refund just to purchase again later.
    przelucki_andrewPrince_Raymondlolien
  • Whisp3Whisp3 Member Posts: 10
    Raduziel wrote: »

I understand that many of you guys are frustrated - I have this feeling towards Beamdog for almost an year for a complete different reason - but let's not cross a line here.
    Relax :)

Thank you for informative post. The source of my frustration is that I bought the game in 2017 and barely played it since then. Recently Beamdog announced NWM and I realised that I have an adventure at hand :). You can imagine my reaction while looking for it in the Google PlayStore. Annoingly, I am missing the opportunity to take some spare time off my daily routine and dive deep into the story of ID.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Out of curiosity, since the game does a license check anyway, have you considered doing what a few other games have done and distribute apks outside of the Play store?
    przelucki_andrew
  • kieranovkskieranovks Member Posts: 11
    Can we get an update up in here beamdawgs
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    There is no new update on the situation.
    Maurvir wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, since the game does a license check anyway, have you considered doing what a few other games have done and distribute apks outside of the Play store?

It can't be done due to licensing issues.
  • paolo81paolo81 Member Posts: 4
    Hi ! Any news abaout bg2 ?
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Any truth to the rumor that Beamdog has been too protective of user information for Google's taste?
  • lost1lost1 Member Posts: 5
    edited May 2019
    Not sure I'd blame Beamdog for this screw-up! There are several problems with the Google Store! Other non- beamdog titles have disappeared. This has been going on for A LONG TIME.
    I say, blame google - not Beamdog

Seriously making plans to change platforms: Dump android/googlie store & moving over to Windows.
    Post edited by lost1 on
    StummvonBordwehrPrince_Raymond
  • przelucki_andrewprzelucki_andrew Member Posts: 3
    There is no new update on the situation.
    Maurvir wrote: »

It can't be done due to licensing issues.

Get rid of license checking! Tomb Raider, Bard's Tale, Oddworld, LEGO Jurassic World and Batman, and many other excellent - if not even epic - games don't do any license checking - and that's why they always work and are enjoyable...

We paid for the games, let us really have them.

If someone wants to get a pirated version without licence checking, they will. And undoubtedly there are readily available pirated versions...

Why do honest people always have to suffer??

If you want something to keep people using the legal versions, do features that utilise registered accounts, like cloud saves to our Google account or your servers - but please don't remove the local save states, that would really hurt us in the event of other such problems... though you can make them harder to get, for example. Maybe only one local save state limit, whereas unlimited cloud saves. Even fixed checkpoint saves for local saves only. But it would always work..

No doubt these products are great when they work - and that's a big when, and l would really like to play continuously on different devices. This is really a necessity, rather than a fetish.

I recently tried to play Neverwinter Nights, and guess what? License check fail also here.. I'll try later again, but I have other games as well.

And your games really should let us keep the obb files on the EXTERNAL SD card... Please make it happen, even as a way to make up for all this.
    Timbo0o0o0Whisp3
  • przelucki_andrewprzelucki_andrew Member Posts: 3
    And as for Google... Since I was made aware that I can request a refund, and I have a few other games missing from my account - they disappeared much longer ago, I did request a refund for each, fairly justifying that I lost access to purchased content.

And they never answered back, after two tries.
    RaduzielTimbo0o0o0
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    It seems that since Google updated their privacy policy they've decided to go nuclear to push the Dev's into quick compliance.
    @lost1 is right. Blame Google.
    If it weren't for the fact that it isn't just devs, but their customers, that are getting punished, this would be hilarious. Google going nuclear over privacy issues. Wow. Seriously, just... wow.
    lost1shabadoo
    Another week no news. Last time I have Luke and Trent round for afternoon tea they ate all the bourbons.
  • shabadooshabadoo Member Posts: 324
    I'm sure their working a fast as possible to get these products back on the proverbial shelf. A complete rebuild of the ui is going to take time. Worry more about what changes will have been necessary to do so.
    przelucki_andrew
  • Skree83Skree83 Member Posts: 14
    Hello. We are at 7th of May. Can we please have an update?
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    We'll include an update into this month's blog entry.
    edited May 2019
    Skree83 wrote: »
    Thanks. This is not the first game "hit" by google... other two great games that disappeared were Shadowrun Returns and Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

In that case, the developer throwed the towel, those games will never return.

Yep. Just noticed both titles missing from my account! Paid good money for both! How do you spell ROYALLY P***ed OFF!
    ElysianEchoes
  • S1T1NS1T1N Member Posts: 4
    You can't think this seriously.... I WANT RETURN MY MONEY IMMEDIATELY !!!! I contacted google with the request to block your account because this is a robbery ! . People don't believe what they are write here.... the application is not in the payment log so is permanently removed by developer . Google has nothing to do with it just bullshit here .
  • paolo81paolo81 Member Posts: 4
    I wait from march . Can i have an answer? I paid 10 euro for bg2 and 10 for iwd. You tale my money but i cannot play.
    S1T1N wrote: »
    You can't think this seriously.... I WANT RETURN MY MONEY IMMEDIATELY !!!! I contacted google with the request to block your account because this is a robbery ! . People don't believe what they are write here.... the application is not in the payment log so is permanently removed by developer . Google has nothing to do with it just bullshit here .

This must be your first time getting screwed by the Play store. Believe me, it's Google. I have had paid apps that disappeared completely from the Play store and it was the same way - absolutely no sign it had ever existed or that I had ever bought a license.

The last time it happened to me was when Google cracked down on ad blocking software. It is one of the few areas where Apple's App store is better, as you can generally get the last acceptable purchased version, though I have seen apps disappear from it in the same manner when they violate Apple's policies.

The frustration here is that it has taken longer than anticipated to get it restored.
    StummvonBordwehrlolien
    edited May 2019
    S1T1N wrote: »

Sorry s1t1n, as I said in an earlier post, other titles (not associated with BeamDog) are missing from googlie-play store.
    Examples:
    2 Shadowrun games (Dev: Harebrained Schemes) are missing; Tales of Illyria: Beyond The Iron Wall (Dev: Little Killerz) is also missing.
    Again, this is a Googlie-play Store problem.

Or maybe I should say: You should be screaming your head off to google.
    StummvonBordwehr