Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

Axis & Allies 1942 Online is now available in Early Access! Buy it on Steam. The FAQ is available.
New Premium Module: Tyrants of the Moonsea! Read More
Attention, new and old users! Please read the new rules of conduct for the forums, and we hope you enjoy your stay!

[MOD] -Might and Guile- a tweak mod and kit pack for warriors and rogues.

Comments

• subtledoctorsubtledoctor Member Posts: 11,383
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @subtledoctor The Agent kit doesn't seem to work. I just generated my character and he memorizes and casts spells as a normal wizard. Regular slots and no level delay. No bardic inspirations either.

You need to use the "initialize bardic spellcasting" ability. (Of course, if it's not there, that's a problem...)

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 9,737
    edited April 3
    @subtledoctor The Agent kit doesn't seem to work. I just generated my character and he memorizes and casts spells as a normal wizard. Regular slots and no level delay. No bardic inspirations either.

You need to use the "initialize bardic spellcasting" ability. (Of course, if it's not there, that's a problem...)

Its not :( There also isn't a button to for bard inspirations.

The spell select dialogue component from Tome and Blood wouldn't interfere at all would it?

edited April 4
    I just installed the mod onto BG2EE, and I see this:
    phgr0eshxc15.png

That ability on the right, the quill-and-scroll, is "initialize bardic spellcasting."

Keep in mind, as a bard, you don't actually get to cast spells until you hit level 2.

EDIT - I do seem to be having a problem with casting slots, though. I'm investigating.

EDIT 2 - nope, that problem was just a little issue with my local build. Not a problem in any released betas.

Post edited by subtledoctor on
    @subtledoctor That scroll is nowhere to be found on my bar. And I'm getting mage spells at level 1, which I shouldn't be. There is also no bardic inspiration, when I should start with luck at level1. I'll try yet another clean re-install in a bit when I have the chance.

@subtledoctor That scroll is nowhere to be found on my bar. And I'm getting mage spells at level 1, which I shouldn't be. There is also no bardic inspiration, when I should start with luck at level1. I'll try yet another clean re-install in a bit when I have the chance.

Regular casting should be disabled anyway, regardless whether you have bardic casting working. That was updated a little while ago. Sounds like you might not be using the latest beta.

On the other hand, I have identified an item usability issue with the current beta build (4b7). If you want to wait a bit, I should have it fixed in 4b8 sometime between now and the weekend. Currently I'm just working out some kinks with a new feature: compatibility with Tome & Blood's bonus spell slots for high CHA :smiley:

edited April 4
    @subtledoctor Okay, another fresh install, I double checked and I DO have the latest beta. It worked this time. So I guess there is some new mod conflict. Is there anything in Faith and Powers, Tome and Blood, or Scales of Balance that wouldn't play nice with the new beta? These are the only kit mods that I install.

@subtledoctor Okay, another fresh install, I double checked and I DO have the latest beta. It worked this time. So I guess there is some new mod conflict. Is there anything in Faith and Powers, Tome and Blood, or Scales of Balance that wouldn't play nice with the new beta? These are the only kit mods that I install.

What game are you trying to play? I've got everything working in BG2EE, but I'm having weird issues in IWDEE...

Okay, I've finally uploaded v4b8. This includes some item usability fixes for bards; fixes for some bard kits not getting their bard songs if the feat system isn't also installed; some issues with initial spellcasting upon game start for bards; and, drumroll... bonus spellcasting slots for bards if you combine it with Tome & Blood's "ability-based bonuses" component. :smiley:

@ThacoBell I haven't had time to test with FnP and SoB as well, but there isn't anything in those mods that should interfere with this. So try 4b8, and if you use TnB also make sure you use at least v0.8.32 or later of that mod.

I tested this on all games, in the latest versions, with and without Tome & Blood. FYI, for whatever reason, these kits sometimes freak out in IWDEE, specifically in HoW starts. It shows you having way more casting slots then you should. But in my testing, the problem goes away the first time you cast a spell. So, basically, don't worry about it. :wink:

ThacoBellGusinda
  • MythalarMythalar Member Posts: 68
    @subtledoctor Do the bonus spellcasting slots from SoB are already functional?

I have not tested those yet, but i kind of like the SoB stats overall (well, might even wait for what Grammar is hiding :p )

edited April 6
    Mythalar wrote: »
    @subtledoctor Do the bonus spellcasting slots from SoB are already functional?

Nope - at the moment this only works with the TnB bonus slots.

BUT, they all work together:
    - If you install TnB ability bonuses, you'll get bonus spellcasting slots;
    - Then install TnB multi-sorcerers and/or MnG bards, and they will get the same casting bonuses
    - Then install SoB stat bonuses, and it will defer to TnB for casting bonuses but use the SoB system for everything else (saving throw bonuses, etc.)

Basically, the TnB component is specifically geared toward bonus spellcasting slots, and SoB is geared toward other kinds of bonuses. They are complementary.

Also, FYI if anyone is also playing with @AionZ's Shadow Magic mod, that mod has its own stat bonuses for Shadow Adepts et al. Those kits will continue to work as the Shadow Magic mod designs; they will not get the bonuses from TnB or SoB.

Gusinda
    @subtledoctor You are awesome. I've gotten really sick from a killer sinus infection, but I'll test it out as soon as I'm up for actually thinking.

• MythalarMythalar Member Posts: 68
    Ok ty, almost time to do some testing!

@subtledoctor Looks like all of the agent's abilities are working properly on this go round.

subtledoctor
    edited April 13
    So, for some reason, spellcasting isn't working on my charname. I do the daily spell prep, and rest. But when resting is done, I have spell access for a couple seconds, before the casting icon greys out and never comes back. So I can't cast any spells with my main character. I also have Garrick in the party, and his spells are all working fine. I'm on the latest patch of BGEE+SoD. Okay, thisis weird. It seems to work SOMETIMES. But I can't figure what would be causing to randomly grey out or not.

So, for some reason, spellcasting isn't working on my charname. I do the daily spell prep, and rest. But when resting is done, I have spell access for a couple seconds, before the casting icon greys out and never comes back. So I can't cast any spells with my main character. I also have Garrick in the party, and his spells are all working fine. I'm on the latest patch of BGEE+SoD. Okay, thisis weird. It seems to work SOMETIMES. But I can't figure what would be causing to randomly grey out or not.

Hard to say. I'm doing a stress-test playthrough myself to try to suss out this kind of thing. Preparing spells has worked for me so far... but I've only slept once. :lol:

The script is pretty intense. It freezes up my iPad for a solid 3-5 seconds when I wake up. Perhaps it is prone to being interrupted? I'm looking into making it more streamlined, and might try to do something like, run 7 different scripts one second apart, one for each spell level. That would be complicated, but possible if it looks like it's necessary.

(For reference, the current spell preparation script that runs upon waking up is 2,000 lines long, with about 250 checks of this sort:
    TriggerOverride(LastSummonerOf(Myself),HaveSpellRES("spwi___"))

The Loresinger script for divine spells was 8,000 lines long, and was crashing the game on my iPad - but not on my computer, which suggests to me that this mod works better on better hardware. I trimmed it to ~5,000 lines and it worked fine... but that kit is still screwy for other, as-yet-undetermined reasons.)

ThacoBell
    @subtledoctor Nothing that I do really seems to influence it, so my best guess would be something interrupting the script that I can't see. That being said, its not super consistent. When I made my previous post, it failed something like 5 times in a row. But over the next 3-4 rests during my play session, it worked just fine.

@subtledoctor Okay, a couple things I've noticed. Wearing armor intereferes with the spells. I have the bard armored casting component from TnB installed, and when wearing armor, the spells always fail to be memorized. So I take off the armor before resting, and my spells come back consistently. But I seem to have stumbled into another bug. I recently hit wizard level 3, and my spell book says that I should have 2 level 1 casts and 1 level 2 cast. When resting, I end up with 3 level 1 casts. This is consistent, as I've tried resting with different spell combinations, armor on/off, ai on/off and I always get 3 spells for level 1.

edited April 14
    Okay, a couple things I've noticed. Wearing armor intereferes with the spells. I have the bard armored casting component from TnB installed, and when wearing armor, the spells always fail to be memorized.

That... seems really familiar. I think I ran into something like that while developing the system... something like, when you have armor on, the game thinks your casting is disabled and the HaveSpell() script trigger always returns false. But I thought I took care of that...

Btw TnB's armored casting for bards has zilch to do with this bard mod. TnB only affects the actual bard class; these bards are F/Ms and M/Ts, and I had to enable armored casting for them via a completely different mechanism.
    I seem to have stumbled into another bug. I recently hit wizard level 3, and my spell book says that I should have 2 level 1 casts and 1 level 2 cast. When resting, I end up with 3 level 1 casts. This is consistent, as I've tried resting with different spell combinations, armor on/off, ai on/off and I always get 3 spells for level 1.

Have you changed your spell tables?

Remember that memorization slots and casting slots are different things. A 3rd-level bard should have three 1st-level casting slots, but only two memorization slots - kind of like a sorcerer.

The anomaly is that 2nd-level memorization slot. You shouldn't get one until 4th level. I was having a problem in my own game, where I was getting too few memorization slots... I may have overcompensated. It's really kind if tricky coordinating all these things.

Functionally, it doesn't really matter. You can simply ignore any memorization slots in spell levels for which you have no casting slots. I'll see what I can do about dynamically reading MXSPLWIZ.2da and giving the right amount of memorization slots...

EDIT - I just prepared two different spells and slept while wearing studded leather, and it had no problem.

EDIT 2 - Ah, but I'm using YARAS, which changes the 'disable spellcasting' effect to .eff effects thst impose a casting doeed penalty. I'll have to test with regular armor.

Post edited by subtledoctor on
    ThacoBell
    @subtledoctor Okay, so the bug is that its showing a 2nd level slot at all. I have not touched the spell tables at all. I don't know if this helps, but Garrick seems to be working just as you say it should. Its only my charname that is acting wonky.

Well, silver lining is that it doesn't affect actual gameplay. You may occasionally see an extra high-level slot in your spellbook, but you won't be able to use those spells until the intended time.

ThacoBell
  • ArjukKagrimArjukKagrim Member Posts: 8
    @subtledoctor
    Hello,
    First of all great mod, great work!
    I installed the mod a month ago without problems and today tried to install the current version of the mod on a new clean installation several times butreceive the following error message:
    ERROR Installing [Bard Overhaul: Multiclass Bards], rolling back to previous state
    Will uninstall 3783 files for [MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2] component 210.
    Uninstalled 3783 files for [MIGHT_AND_GUILE/MIGHT_AND_GUILE.TP2] component 210.
    ERROR: Failure("CREATE: the resource reference \"%spell_eff%\" is longer than 8 characters")
    Please make a backup of the file: SETUP-MIGHT_AND_GUILE.DEBUG and look for support at: SubtleD
    Automatically Skipping [Bard Overhaul: Multiclass Bards] because of error.
    Using Language [English]
    Is there a new mod dependence or do you have any suggestion what I am doing wrong?

today tried to install the current version of the mod on a new clean installation several times butreceive the following error message:

Which game are you trying to install it on? And what version of that game?

today tried to install the current version of the mod on a new clean installation several times butreceive the following error message:

Its an EET installation on version 2.5.16.6. As for other mods aside from quest mods I installed Song&Silence, Rogue Rebalancing, T&B, F&P before M&G. Like in the readme I wanted ot install Refinements and SCS afterwards.

Its an EET installation on version 2.5.16.6. As for other mods aside from quest mods I installed Song&Silence, Rogue Rebalancing, T&B, F&P before M&G. Like in the readme I wanted ot install Refinements and SCS afterwards.

Dammit, of course it's EET. Which I cannot install and test for. What does EET possibly do to the game files that can screw up a kit/tweak mod like this??? It's so frustrating. BGT never had issues like this. If you could install a mod on TOB then you could install it on BGT.

:rage:

ArjukKagrim
  • southfla79southfla79 Member Posts: 194
    not necessarily an EET issue. I did a very large EET install about a week ago and everything installed file.

I now tried to install it without any other mod, just EET and M&G. That worked without any issue. Afterwards I tried it again with the aforementioned mods and got the error again for the Multiclass Bards component.

• Snatch_a_kissSnatch_a_kiss Member Posts: 32
    IWD EE. All component M&G.
    Stumbled on a small problem. After creating a pure thief - i can't equip any weapons other than a staff, a club and a sling. But if i remove the component "new bard" - pure thief is created normal, i can equip weapon. Sniper, Burglar didn't have that problem. What can be done? How can I solve this problem?

• JarinexJarinex Member Posts: 42
    Have you tried installing just T&B, F&P and then M&G? Song and silence and rogue rebalancing may be having an effect, as I know they change bards in some ways.

• southfla79southfla79 Member Posts: 194
    @subtledoctor can chime in but since he is changing bards into multiclass kits, RR and S&S shouldn't affect them