Skip to content

Did you know?

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    More amazing stuff @Bubb. I imagine the League for the Protection of Bounty Hunters was responsible for the original decision to suppress this information B).
    Wise_GrimwaldBubbMontresor_SPlolien
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    OlvynChuru wrote: »
    Recently I've learned how haste REALLY works.

In Baldur's Gate 2 and the EE games, it isn't just improved haste that doubles your base attacks per round - normal haste doubles it as well! However, normal haste also lowers your base number of attacks per round such that when doubled it is 1 or 1/2 greater than your number of attacks per round before the haste. For example, if your character has 7/2 attacks per round normally and then they become hasted with a 3rd-level Haste spell, their base number of attacks per round gets lowered to 2, and then it's doubled to 4.

This also explains why normal haste only gives you half an extra attack per round if you initially have a fractional number of attacks per round. Since attacks per round numbers can only be multiples of 1/2, there's no possible value the game can double to get 9/2 attacks per round.

If I recall, it literally makes time move twice as fast for your character, so poisons will tick twice as often, buffs will last half as long, so on and so forth.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @OlvynChuru In BG1, normal haste used to double your apr. BG2 kinda ruined it.
    BelgarathMTH
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @ThacoBell , and in BG1, Entangle used to be party-friendly. :)
    ThacoBellPokotaStummvonBordwehr
    Aasim wrote: »
    There are enemies in this game called Flinds. They appear to wield swords (and drop them), but their realequiped weapon deal 1d4 blunt damage and force a save vs wand. If the save is failed, target gets +4 THAC0 for 30 seconds. Probably the only beneficial effect on a failed save in the game.

Do they have a strength bonus or something? Maybe it's just because they look so intimidating but I would've thought they did more than 1d4 damage.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    There are enemies in this game called Flinds. They appear to wield swords (and drop them), but their realequiped weapon deal 1d4 blunt damage and force a save vs wand. If the save is failed, target gets +4 THAC0 for 30 seconds. Probably the only beneficial effect on a failed save in the game.

It's very likely that's a typo. The devs probably meant it to be a THAC0 penalty.
    ChroniclerWise_Grimwald
  • AasimAasim Member Posts: 591
    That's very likely a bug indeed, and as old as BG1 - celebrating 21 years.
    ChroniclerWise_Grimwaldlolien
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

It's very likely that's a typo. The devs probably meant it to be a THAC0 penalty.

I think it is a penalty as implemented (even if the description is wrong) - if your character spends too long in melee against Flinds it won't be able to hit a barn door.
    ThacoBellAerakarStummvonBordwehrSpaceInvader
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    Don't get THAC0 confused with BAB, the lower your THAC0, the better.
    ThacoBell
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    The effect is indeed a penalty rather than a bonus.
    ThacoBellAerakarZaghoulelminster
    Then it's fixed I guess. I'm pretty sure I've seen THAC0 going from 17 to 13 after being hit by them.
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    Artona wrote: »
    Objects in this room are not to scale.

4dq58nfpow02.png

Why would you need plant that big on the table? :open_mouth:

Do you like our plant? It is artificial. Yaga Shura Corp. design.

Bed is also Ikea, I mean Yaga Shura, probably even one of his own.
    Montresor_SP
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Imagine if you had a suit of leather armor +10 in Baldur's Gate. How would its AC compare to that of a nonmagical suit of full plate armor for a fighter?

Leather Armor +10
    vs. slashing: -2
    vs. piercing: 0
    vs. crushing: -2
    vs. missiles: 0

Full Plate
    vs. slashing: -3
    vs. piercing: -2
    vs. crushing: 1
    vs. missiles: -2

Overall, a regular suit of full plate actually provides better protection than even a super-enchanted suit of leather armor. Add this to the fact that the full plate could be worn with a Ring of Protection +2 and the leather armor can't.

Of course, a suit of leather armor +10 would probably weigh like 1 pound or so while the full plate is quite cumbersome, and thieves would prefer the leather armor. But when fighters are concerned, even if the fighter had a non-min-maxed Strength score (like Khalid), they would be better off with full plate.

By game mechanics , definitely so. IRL plate mail would be uncomfortable as hell, though.
    I don't know about comfort, but apparently IRL Platemail allowed for a surprising amount of mobility. You could do acrobatics in it and everything.

The issue was it had to be properly fitted to your specific body. You couldn't just loot the armor off your slain adversary and expect it to fit you like that. So in a universe where halflings are wearing armor they looted off an orc maybe it makes sense that they wouldn't be able to use their thief skills in it.
    StummvonBordwehrWise_GrimwaldThacoBell
    Grond0 wrote: »

I think it is a penalty as implemented (even if the description is wrong) - if your character spends too long in melee against Flinds it won't be able to hit a barn door.
    semiticgod wrote: »
    The effect is indeed a penalty rather than a bonus.

It's a positive bonus you get - I tought EE fixed it, but it didn't. I was 100% sure in BGT it was a bonus, and it's the same in EEs.

Character after 1 hit:
    bb8xs2p1xiih.jpg

2 more hits with failed saves give a total of +8 to THAC0: (or -8, depending on how you look at it - but it's beneficial in any case)
    la9vhg36opii.jpg

Their weapon gives a +4 bonus to base THAC0, using the same opcode as for example kensai bonus.
    StummvonBordwehrlolien
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @Aasim: What version are you using? I am working with the most recent update and the effect is a penalty, both according to Near Infinity and my own in-game tests.

54mbn9yrk41k.png
    1fwtnbucbtri.png
    ydgf7exox8sy.png
    ThacoBelllolien
    EET
    @semiticgod who drew that portrait you're using? It looks nice.